Page 716 of 855 FirstFirst ... 216616666706714715716717718726766816 ... LastLast
Results 14,301 to 14,320 of 17098

Thread: Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

  1. #14301
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12,887
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Actually sir Jams, most of the made 3's by Hong Kong came mostly from the first half. The difference maker here was that Guam has Washington and Tai Wesley to grab offensive boards. I doubt if they still have that advantage against better teams in Asia. Iran, Jordan, Lebanon, and China are significantly taller than their previous counterparts in the Pacific Games and Eastern Qualifiers.
    Ah ok. Point taken.

    I haven't seen how Guam plays but maybe the Guamanians aren't used to how Asian teams play, specially East Asian teams like Korea, Taiwan, Japan. Yung mga Koreans, Japs & Taiwanese kasi mahilig talaga tumira ng 3's. Large part of their scoring are 3-pointers. Maybe Guam plays some sort of old school basketball. Yung playing style during the 90's & early 2000's basketball.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  2. #14302
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,757
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Ah ok. Point taken.

    I haven't seen how Guam plays but maybe the Guamanians aren't used to how Asian teams play, specially East Asian teams like Korea, Taiwan, Japan. Yung mga Koreans, Japs & Taiwanese kasi mahilig talaga tumira ng 3's. Large part of their scoring are 3-pointers. Maybe Guam plays some sort of old school basketball. Yung playing style during the 90's & early 2000's basketball.
    I actually watch games of Guam in 2015 and 2019 Pacific Games. About the level of competition, I say that SEA Games Basketball is better than the Pacific Games. Only Tahiti has the capability to beat Guam. Bronze medallists Fiji will get waxed out by SEA teams. The rest of the competition is low. Kaya FIBA is right when they organized the Melanesia Cup and Polynesia Cup.

  3. #14303
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12,887
    Country: Philippines

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    question, if Gilas loses all it's 3 games, but has a point difference margin over Indonesia, (they'e plus 30 ?) are they qualified already automatically to Asia cup?
    From what I know is that, even if we go 0-3 this 3rd window, wag lang manalo ang Indonesia sa Korea, then we'll end up 2nd place in our group.

    That's becoz if we go 0-3, and Indonesia goes 2-1 (winning over Thailand & Gilas but loses to Korea) in this window, we tie Indonesia at 3-3. But since we beat Indonesia by 30+ points in the 1st window, its almost certain that Gilas takes 2nd place behind Korea since its very very unlikely that Indonesia is going to beat us by 30 pts.

    I will retire from IBN if we get beaten by Indonesia by at least 30 pts.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  4. #14304
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    984
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    No wonder Uichico isn't the head coach for this window. The current coach of Korea was part of rhe 2002 Asiad squad that broke his heart. Lol

  5. #14305
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,034
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    @Jams.. Guam is more like American style (Obviously because they are American colony).. They use their strength and athleticism to their opponents.. But when they lose to NZL eh they exposed.. They are not pushover and i'm not surprise if they can make it to the top 8 of FIBA Asia cup this August.. Middle East teams have trouble playing with American style of basketball.. As i prefer teams that USA team bring to the Jones Cup.. Ganun din ang Guam.. Solid yung Washington, Galloway, Tai and Ross actually.. These 4 actually a top talents in Asia - Pacific.. Their credentials as my evidence.. If i were coach Calvo.. I will put Jericho Cruz as 6th man (Ala Clarkson), So that they still have offensive firepower of the bench...

  6. #14306
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,034
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    I actually watch games of Guam in 2015 and 2019 Pacific Games. About the level of competition, I say that SEA Games Basketball is better than the Pacific Games. Only Tahiti has the capability to beat Guam. Bronze medallists Fiji will get waxed out by SEA teams. The rest of the competition is low. Kaya FIBA is right when they organized the Melanesia Cup and Polynesia Cup.
    But Guam's line up there before is not that strong as now.. If Guam's line up today will be field in Pacific games eh they will blow up all of their opponents.. They are like US team that we always see in Jones Cup.. They have new recruit, Who is also Division 1 player in Mark Johnson, 6'6 swingman with decent shooting.. I hope they can find a decent PG.. Hechanova and Blas are not enough to do that duty in higher competition...

  7. #14307
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    1,987
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    BTW previously in the NZ NBL players from the Pacific island ( like Guam) were considered local (unrestricted ), it would really be beneficial if Filipinos could play as locals in the NZ NBL

  8. #14308
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12,887
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    BTW previously in the NZ NBL players from the Pacific island ( like Guam) were considered local (unrestricted ), it would really be beneficial if Filipinos could play as locals in the NZ NBL
    So can Jericho Cruz play in NBL-New Zealand as a local? Dual citizen si Jericho eh
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  9. #14309
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12,887
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    @Jams.. Guam is more like American style (Obviously because they are American colony).. They use their strength and athleticism to their opponents.. But when they lose to NZL eh they exposed.. They are not pushover and i'm not surprise if they can make it to the top 8 of FIBA Asia cup this August.. Middle East teams have trouble playing with American style of basketball.. As i prefer teams that USA team bring to the Jones Cup.. Ganun din ang Guam.. Solid yung Washington, Galloway, Tai and Ross actually.. These 4 actually a top talents in Asia - Pacific.. Their credentials as my evidence.. If i were coach Calvo.. I will put Jericho Cruz as 6th man (Ala Clarkson), So that they still have offensive firepower of the bench...
    Ok. I think as Guam plays in FIBA asia more often, it will get use to the Asian style of play, specially East Asian teams like Korea, Taiwan & Japan
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  10. #14310
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4,092
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I think this is debate between talent vs. cohesion. You put PBA players in there & you improve the talent level of the squad but its going to disrupt the cohesion/chemistry of the team. The thing is, chances are, not much time would be allotted to the PBA reinforcements to train with Gilas, hence the PBA reinforcements would disrupt Gilas cohesion by a certain extent. So it boils down to the question of how much improvement of talent the PBA reinforcements will bring versus how much of a disruption their entry to the team would cause.
    There are pros who's already played under tab and also have practiced with the pool. 3 or a maximum of 4, should not disrupt whatever chemistry we are talking about here. As much as I hate the PBA, we still need a little cooperation from them. I hope to see a few pros come next pool for the OQT
    “The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

  11. #14311
    Senior Member tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Ray Parks
    Kiefer Ravena
    Matthew Wright
    RR Pogoy
    CJ Perez

    They are the only 5 pba players that I think is still in consideration for 2023. Especially kiefer.
    If JC will play for Gilas in 2023, I think BRP jr, Wright, Pogoy and Perez will not be needed especially if the team will still have Ramos, Javi and Heading. Veteran playmaker Kiefer Ravena for me is the only one worth consideration for the 2023 World Cup Gilas lineup..

  12. #14312
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,034
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    There are pros who's already played under tab and also have practiced with the pool. 3 or a maximum of 4, should not disrupt whatever chemistry we are talking about here. As much as I hate the PBA, we still need a little cooperation from them. I hope to see a few pros come next pool for the OQT
    We will see some PBA players (Kiefer, Troy, Oftana) maybe in WC qualifiers next year.. As they still waiting for PBA's go signal to have their season

  13. #14313
    Senior Member tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    BTW previously in the NZ NBL players from the Pacific island ( like Guam) were considered local (unrestricted ), it would really be beneficial if Filipinos could play as locals in the NZ NBL
    Sir Dave, PBA have way more money than NZ NBL..

  14. #14314
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,034
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Ok. I think as Guam plays in FIBA asia more often, it will get use to the Asian style of play, specially East Asian teams like Korea, Taiwan & Japan
    Actually even them (Korea, Taiwan, Japan) have trouble playing USA teams that competed in Jones Cup.. I think we are one of the teams that consistently beat USA teams playing in Jones Cup before (2007, 2012 & 2015 edition)... Once Guam getting their chemistry smooth in playing more games, They will be more dangerous...

  15. #14315
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    1,987
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    So can Jericho Cruz play in NBL-New Zealand as a local? Dual citizen si Jericho eh
    Yes previously, Tai wesley was a local in the NZ NBL, the rule is based on Fiba local eligibility to a pacific country.

    NZ BTW is very much , where the Pacific island main office and embassies are held. The Philippine consulate embassy for most of the Pacfic islands ( like Fiji, Cook Island, Tonga) is NZ.. that is why Asi Taulava , is got his papers confirmed in the Philippine embassy in Wellington NZ.

  16. #14316
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    1,987
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Sir Dave, PBA have way more money than NZ NBL..
    Of course, pang development exposure lang.
    BTW i invited the following Geo, Wright, Thirdy, 1GDL all to play in NZ , all had different reasons for not pushing through. ( teams were interested)

  17. #14317
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12,887
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    If JC will play for Gilas in 2023, I think BRP jr, Wright, Pogoy and Perez will not be needed especially if the team will still have Ramos, Javi and Heading. Veteran playmaker Kiefer Ravena for me is the only one worth consideration for the 2023 World Cup Gilas lineup..
    Agree with you on this. Its like yung value ni Clarkson sa Gilas is even bigger than 3 or 4 PBA players.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  18. #14318
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    1,987
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Agree with you on this. Its like yung value ni Clarkson sa Gilas is even bigger than 3 or 4 PBA players.
    Especially given you only have 1 ball, limited playing time , touches and shots. rather than getting 3 to 4 hugot which is disruptive , it's better to have just 1 .

  19. #14319
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12,887
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    There are pros who's already played under tab and also have practiced with the pool. 3 or a maximum of 4, should not disrupt whatever chemistry we are talking about here. As much as I hate the PBA, we still need a little cooperation from them. I hope to see a few pros come next pool for the OQT
    Perhaps you're referring to PBA players that joined Gilas pool training last January. I think among them were Kiefer, Perez, Pogoy, Rosario, etc. & they were in the Calam-bubble for about 4 weeks. Pinol out lang sila ng PBA when the 3rd window which was supposed to kick off last mid-February was reset to mid-June & PBA season was scheduled to open tentatively last April pero di nga natuloy becoz of the worsening pandemic.

    Well, my stand is, if these PBA players can train with Gilas for at least 1 month per year leading to the 2023 FIBA World Cup then I say they are good reinforcements for the current cadet pool/team.

    Problem is, we'll never know about the PBA. I mean, PBA is unpredictable when it comes to its policy towards the National team.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  20. #14320
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4,092
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Perhaps you're referring to PBA players that joined Gilas pool training last January. I think among them were Kiefer, Perez, Pogoy, Rosario, etc. & they were in the Calam-bubble for about 4 weeks. Pinol out lang sila ng PBA when the 3rd window which was supposed to kick off last mid-February was reset to mid-June & PBA season was scheduled to open tentatively last April pero di nga natuloy becoz of the worsening pandemic.

    Well, my stand is, if these PBA players can train with Gilas for at least 1 month per year leading to the 2023 FIBA World Cup then I say they are good reinforcements for the current cadet pool/team.

    Problem is, we'll never know about the PBA. I mean, PBA is unpredictable when it comes to its policy towards the National team.
    If you meant to say train for a full month straight, that might not happen. But including them in 2-3 tournaments scattered throughout the year, that's not hard to do. If Perez wasn't sure excluded from this pool, he would've completed around a couple of months with the team already. But perhaps that's not the intention. I still remember the dalph panopio "incident" where joined late. The scrimmages against the qataris could've been used to help him catch up but he was used sparingly there. Turns out that they intended him to play third string only. And we know how bad the kids that were put over him played.
    “The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

Page 716 of 855 FirstFirst ... 216616666706714715716717718726766816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •