Page 850 of 855 FirstFirst ... 350750800840848849850851852 ... LastLast
Results 16,981 to 17,000 of 17098

Thread: Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    With RJ, you got a skilled PG with such a high confidence in his game & tremendous guts - things that can't be taught.

Agree with you, whatever flaws in RJ's decision making & approach to the game can be corrected or refined. Its a process that takes time. What is important is that RJ has exhibited promise & potential at this early stage of his career.

BTW, even in that exhibition game vs. China, RJ seems has played well based on Carlo Pamintuan's statements.
    I think RJ has the potential to be one. He gets carried away at times but I think that's not something that can't be corrected
    ďThe urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.Ē
    ― H.L. Mencken

Speaking of Iran, ang lakas din nila sa spread no, this game they elading 33-30.. in spreads their 2.9 underdog
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    I think RJ has the potential to be one. He gets carried away at times but I think that's not something that can't be corrected
    I think Johnny A also had that tendency during his younger yrs (21 to 24). Johnny A also looked to score a lot, well I can't blame him becoz he was really too skilled & too good. But Johnny A mellowed down his scoring & became more of a team player as he matured.

Maybe RJ can follow his uncle Johnny's path, hopefully.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

I think Johnny A also had that tendency during his younger yrs (21 to 24). Johnny A also looked to score a lot, well I can't blame him becoz he was really too skilled & too good. But Johnny A mellowed down his scoring & became more of a team player as he matured.

Maybe RJ can follow his uncle Johnny's path, hopefully.
    Still too small though, there are better prospect that is also taller. Like Dalph and Cholo.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Well, in the Asian level, RJ at 5-foot-10 would be ok. There aren't a lot of 6-foot-2 & above PG's in Asian basketball
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Well, in the Asian level, RJ at 5-foot-10 would be ok. There aren't a lot of 6-foot-2 & above PG's in Asian basketball

Our goal is not just asian level.

Quote Originally Posted by spidey102279 View Post
    Still too small though, there are better prospect that is also taller. Like Dalph and Cholo.
    Whatís with Dalph Panopio? Whatís the fascination about him? He may be a pass first point guard, a tall one 5í11/6í0 at most but this kid is not a game changer. I hate the Nieto PG but I can see that Matt Nieto is even better than him, point guard wise and decision making wise. If some pass first PG like Nieto is already better than this kid, what more skillfull point guard scorers like Belangel, Abarrientos and Juan GDL? Almost magkakasame height lang din sila, but all the aforementioned are better than Panopio not even close.

PS: this is the same kid who cant even outplay Abadiano so thereís that.

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    Unbelievable. A PBA-select Gilas team lost to Iran at home without their Big 3 in the 2019 WC qualifiers, yet this same team lost to Japan without their NBA players by 27 points two years later.

Their 2 NPs Rossiter and Edwards were at the floor at the same time at one point. It's a non-FIBA sanctioned warm-up game

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

And brother Jams, this is the perfect time for our combo guards to be fully utilize since Dwight Ramos can legitimately play the point guard spot. Maybe Thirdy too once he is integrated with the core team right now.

Imagine if Dwight is tasked to set up and Kiefer can be given some leeway to score assuming the combo guard role.

Or if not Kiefer, itís Juan GDL who is getting ready to shoot bombs from the outside.

Iím just hoping this three will be included in August (Thirdy, Kiefer, Juan GDL)

With this guys being the possible of the cuts (SJ, RJ, Mike Nieto, Heading).

Iím very certain if ever Thirdy is included then there would be no need for Mike Nieto since they have the same role plus Thirdy can assume being the voice/leader responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by DenzelGreat8 View Post
    Whatís with Dalph Panopio? Whatís the fascination about him? He may be a pass first point guard, a tall one 5í11/6í0 at most but this kid is not a game changer. I hate the Nieto PG but I can see that Matt Nieto is even better than him, point guard wise and decision making wise. If some pass first PG like Nieto is already better than this kid, what more skillfull point guard scorers like Belangel, Abarrientos and Juan GDL? Almost magkakasame height lang din sila, but all the aforementioned are better than Panopio not even close.

PS: this is the same kid who cant even outplay Abadiano so thereís that.
    I agree. I was a bit disappointed in the kid's play. Abadiano did outplay him. I remember Panopio easily being neutralized by physical defense. The smaller Abadiano had a significantly better outing despite being smaller and supposedly less "skilled".

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    I agree. I was a bit disappointed in the kid's play. Abadiano did outplay him. I remember Panopio easily being neutralized by physical defense. The smaller Abadiano had a significantly better outing despite being smaller and supposedly less "skilled".
    Yup sayang puyat ko noon lol hahaha dinadaga yung Panopio sa full court press. Of course if ever injuries happen knock on wood wag naman sana, and Panopio is available then ok. But if all our young PG prospects are healthy, it would be a steep climb for Panopio to outplay those kids. Buti sana if we are talking about Remy Martin, but we are talking about Dalph freaking Panopio!

To be fair, Abadiano did look like he had a stronger body. Sucks that he's not exactly a facilitator.

Mga colegiala kasi marami sa tin, mga Assumptionistas.

"If you are based in Europe and played basketball there your whole life, you're better than the PGs who grew up in the PHL"

While he may play the "right way", the same thing can be said when you teach the young local PGs how to play the EURO way

Pero for the record, i also prefer to have Dalph in the pool, but not in the expense of taking slots away from Nieto, SJ and RJ (in the pool). "Let them fight!" sabi nga ni Ken Watanabe

Sayang si Remy Martin, I think CTB already confirmed that he cant play as a local. The PG debate would have been over if he'd gotten his passport when he was much much younger.

Quote Originally Posted by DenzelGreat8 View Post
    And brother Jams, this is the perfect time for our combo guards to be fully utilize since Dwight Ramos can legitimately play the point guard spot. Maybe Thirdy too once he is integrated with the core team right now.

Imagine if Dwight is tasked to set up and Kiefer can be given some leeway to score assuming the combo guard role.

Or if not Kiefer, it’s Juan GDL who is getting ready to shoot bombs from the outside.

I’m just hoping this three will be included in August (Thirdy, Kiefer, Juan GDL)

With this guys being the possible of the cuts (SJ, RJ, Mike Nieto, Heading).

I’m very certain if ever Thirdy is included then there would be no need for Mike Nieto since they have the same role plus Thirdy can assume being the voice/leader responsibilities.
    Here's the thing with Thirdy. He's a good defender but he's undersized for the 3 and underskilled for the 2. He was exposed in the B league. In the UAAP, Ateneo was much bigger and athletic than the others that it was ok for Thirdy to chuck the ball. They would get the offensive boards and have one or two more attempts in the same possession. Internationally, Thirdy is struggling with matching up with bigger wings. He is still ok. But part of me thinks his injuries are a result of matching up against bigger players. But when he slides to the two not only is he an inefficient shooter his sub par handles limits his options. He won't be a 3 in this Gilas team. Even Mike Nieto plays a lot of 2. Can he do that?

This is why the SBP has to be above all leagues in the Philippines, not subservient to these

I guess we can kiss our long-term basketball development goodbye

https://tv5.espn.com/basketball/gila...SBzjpN1T1J9xWQ

Here's the thing with Thirdy. He's a good defender but he's undersized for the 3 and underskilled for the 2. He was exposed in the B league. In the UAAP, Ateneo was much bigger and athletic than the others that it was ok for Thirdy to chuck the ball. They would get the offensive boards and have one or two more attempts in the same possession. Internationally, Thirdy is struggling with matching up with bigger wings. He is still ok. But part of me thinks his injuries are a result of matching up against bigger players. But when he slides to the two not only is he an inefficient shooter his sub par handles limits his options. He won't be a 3 in this Gilas team. Even Mike Nieto plays a lot of 2. Can he do that?
    Well, he's a freaking upgrade to Nieto

Thirdy can be the plugged-in utility guy, similar to the role of Mike Nieto. He will be an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Labradoodle View Post
    This is why the SBP has to be above all leagues in the Philippines, not subservient to these

I guess we can kiss our long-term basketball development goodbye

https://tv5.espn.com/basketball/gila...SBzjpN1T1J9xWQ
    Aside from the PBA, there's only one other league who is above board with its country's basketball federation, and even FIBA is below its stature and influence. Whatever this Association wants, it gets and nothing FIBA can do about it.

so with that reasoning: PBA = "The Association"

Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    Aside from the PBA, there's only one other league who is above board with its country's basketball federation, and even FIBA is below its stature and influence. Whatever this Association wants, it gets and nothing FIBA can do about it.

so with that reasoning: PBA = "The Association"
    That's why it's critical that SBP should get those marquee players on Gilas long term to their MVP teams in the PBA, or having a long term contracts overseas long term.. That's why likes of Ramos, Tamayo, Baltazar, Edu, Sotto will be a Gilas mainstay long term.. First, they should play overseas first, If they have a chance... 2nd if these players decides to play in the PBA, MVP should find a way already to get these marquee players to their MVP teams.. They should stay away from evil empire.. We can find a replacement for the likes of Belangel, Heading, Nieto bros., etc... But not on those players i mentioned above...

Bro lets put it this way there is a:
    PBA Gabe Norwood
    Then a FIBA version of Norwood when all of a sudden he becomes elite in all aspects

Then there is a
    San En - Thirdy
    And a TAB Baldwin system version of Thirdy - when all of a sudden he just explodes

Iím expecting him and Dwight to be the focal points this August. Btw, I know this is very early but Iím really expecting a top 2 or top 3 finish from our kids this Fiba Asia cup, with that there would be a possible representative with the mythical five? Who do you bet on our kids making it?

Bakit kaya sa europe they wanted guys like shane larkin and Bo mccaleb who are obviously below 6 ft. samantalang in ibn parang may phobia na pag may 1 guy below 6ft.. di namn 2 guys at the same time ang lalaruin heheh o 3 nung time ni Toroman (dahil no choice )
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Page 850 of 855 FirstFirst ... 350750800840848849850851852 ... LastLast