Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    What are the chances a new rule would be imposed just to prevent anyone from taking this shortcut?
    What is the historical rate of success for those who have used these loopholes to translate to wins

Comment

• NZ withdraws from OQT prioritizes qualifiers

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
        FIBA rules are stupid, just because we are powerless doenst mean we dont point that out.
        Same as what SMC is doing in the PBA is ridiculous. But not becoz wala rin naman magagawa dyan as mere basketball fans being powerless eh we should just shut out mouths coz whining or crying foul is futile.
        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
          NZ withdraws from OQT prioritizes qualifiers

https://nz.basketball/bbnz-board-pri...nGIZP_wzelxoM4
          Will we volunteered este force ourselves to get in.. great exposure for kai imo.. dito gamitin sbp ang pera nila imo
          To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
          1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
            Will we volunteered este force ourselves to get in.. great exposure for kai imo.. dito gamitin sbp ang pera nila imo
            FIBA must have a process of who replaces teams that back out, next highest place in 2019 WC from the zone ?

Comment

FIBA must have a process of who replaces teams that back out, next highest place in 2019 WC from the zone ?
              Us.. highest ranked team next to korea
              To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
              1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

What is the historical rate of success for those who have used these loopholes to translate to wins
                Maybe now brad wala pa. But we can never tell what will happen in the near future. If we look at the current Qatar National team, unti unti na nilang pinapasok sa national senior team yung mga naturalized Bosnian players who are now in their early 20's in age, which means hindi pa talaga ganoon ka develop yung game nila. But as we can see not all those Bosnian players are really good. Most are just mere role players but you can see their size & built na pang European basketball talaga.

But one player of Qatar named Alen Hadzibehovic who is of Montenegro descent has yet to play for the Qatar national team. That kid is playing in the Russian division 1 pro league with impressive stats. The 6-foot-8 forward has great potential & might play for Qatar someday. I think Hadzibegovic will make a significant impact for Qatar.

I won't be surprised if that kid makes it to the NBA someday.
                "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                  Like stacking up your team with foreign mercenaries without any relationship with your country? It's ok to you losing to a team that opted to pay foreigners just to play for them?

The reason why the number of naturalized players reduced was into one was because we took advantage that to the detriment of other teams with genuine programs (Korea, China and Japan). We breezed to the gold medal match with Chip and Jeff.
                  Good point bro.

Here's my take, the difference between commercial basketball & FIBA basketball is that with the former, its a contest of who have the better resources or should I say kung sino mas maraming pera (just like what SMC teams are in the PBA), in FIBA basketball on the other hand its basically a contest of who has better citizens in a particular sport among the countries, with money not really a huge factor.

Lets take for instance the Philippines, hindi tayo mayaman, but we can be proud to say that Philippine basketball is better than those oil-rich Arab nations like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, in so far as basketball is concern.

Now what if these other oil rich Arab states also "buy" talents in Africa or Bosnia just like Qatar & Indonesia is doing? Imagine Phi or Korea or China having a hard time beating Saudi Arabia, Kuwait or Bahrain becoz yung mga players nila are Europeans & Africans.

This practice degrades the integrity of the sport.

Comment

• ^^
                    The question like any organization or team is what to focus on that one can influence the most to provide the greatest gains and improvement

- Player recruitment (including fil foreign) , development, NP. team preparation , processing of passport before 16, lobbying for a change or eligibility rules etc etc.

That's what it comes down to. I for one , do not choose to focus on the last aspect ( change of rules) , not because I do not agree or agree with the rule, but it's the principle of focusing your efforts in the areas that you can best realistically influence .
                    Last edited by DAdmiral; 02-25-2021, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                      Good point bro.

Here's my take, the difference between commercial basketball & FIBA basketball is that with the former, its a contest of who have the better resources or should I say kung sino mas maraming pera (just like what SMC teams are in the PBA), in FIBA basketball on the other hand its basically a contest of who has better citizens in a particular sport among the countries, with money not really a huge factor.

Lets take for instance the Philippines, hindi tayo mayaman, but we can be proud to say that Philippine basketball is better than those oil-rich Arab nations like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, in so far as basketball is concern.

Now what if these other oil rich Arab states also "buy" talents in Africa or Bosnia just like Qatar & Indonesia is doing? Imagine Phi or Korea or China having a hard time beating Saudi Arabia, Kuwait or Bahrain becoz yung mga players nila are Europeans & Africans.

This practice degrades the integrity of the sport.
                      Most people in this forum don't get my sentiment basta oo lang sila nang oo because the rules are silent. There will be a time that there will be no difference between FIBA-Asia Cup and FIBA-Asia Champions Cup. They said that because they have yet to see the adverse effects of this practice.
                      Attack
                      defend
                      Unite

Comment

^^
                        The question like any organization or team is what to focus on that one can influence the most to provide the greatest gains and improvement

- Player recruitment (including fil foreign) , development, NP. team preparation , processing of passport before 16, lobbying for a change or eligibility rules etc etc.

That's what it comes down to. I for one , do not choose to focus on the last aspect ( change of rules) , not because I do not agree or agree with the rule, but it's the principle of focusing your efforts in the areas that you can best realistically influence .
                        But my concern sir is this practice of issuing foreigners passport before 16 years old will be eventually abused and destroy the integrity of the sport. It is against the concept of fair play.

I am not totally against the idea of foreigner playing for another as local provided that he was either:

- born in that country
                        - raised in that country
                        - lived in that country from childhood
                        - studied in that country
                        - a refugee

I am not against when Maker/Baynes played alongside Lisch in the Boomers because the former consider themselves as Australians since they lived there in their childhood (Thon at 5 while Baynes at 3).

I am against when France used Frank Ntililikina because they lived there in his childhood.

If Thybulle plays for Australia, there should be no problems with that because he used to reside there in his childhood.

If Khatib's son eventually plays for Turkey, no problem with that it was a family decision to migrate there due to extraordinary circumstance happening in Lebanon.

With these and the practice Indonesia is about to do is that PERBASI (through Eric Thohir) induces those Africans with perks just to play basketball. They don't have any connection with the country except by playing basketball.
                        Attack
                        defend
                        Unite

Comment

• To me you want the Asia cup to look more like the European championships in terms of mix race and level of competition.
                          The paradigm of games being a competition of races is precisely why some competition isn't at the level of others.
                          If the PBA for example had half of their rosters without majority Asian malay entnicity, the level of competition would be better. There is a reason why Asia and SEA in particular is one the weakest regions in basketball.

I know it is a radical thought of a different paradigm

Comment

To me you want the Asia cup to look more like the European championships in terms of mix race and level of competition.
                            The paradigm of games being a competition of races is precisely why some competition isn't at the level of others.
                            If the PBA for example had half of their rosters without majority Asian malay entnicity, the level of competition would be better. There is a reason why Asia and SEA in particular is one the weakest regions in basketball.

I know it is a radical thought of a different paradigm
                            That's misinterpretation of the point here. Had those Africans recruited by Indonesia were either actually born, raised or studied in Indonesia, we would not bat an eye for it.

Alex Compton and Kirk Long should have played for our national team a long time ago since they really have significant links to our country. Alex was born in the Philippines, live here, and can actually speak perfect Tagalog while Kirk was born, raised, reside and studied in our country. I would not bat an eye had they play for our NT as locals because they deserve it.
                            Attack
                            defend
                            Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                              Most people in this forum don't get my sentiment basta oo lang sila nang oo because the rules are silent. There will be a time that there will be no difference between FIBA-Asia Cup and FIBA-Asia Champions Cup. They said that because they have yet to see the adverse effects of this practice.
                              Some has this mentality: Eh Qatar pa lang naman at Indonesia ang gumagawa nyan eh. And Qatar with those Bosnian players hasn't really made any impact in FIBA Asia in the last few years, which of course is true.

The thing is, its complete stupidity to think that the ways of this world won't change in the next 20 years or so. Case in point, 30 yrs ago tayo lang ang nag parade ng naturalized players. But in the last 15 yrs, we saw Lebanon, Korea, Jordan, Taiwan, Japan, Kazakhstan, Indonesia, Bahrain, parading their respective naturalized players.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                                Some has this mentality: Eh Qatar pa lang naman at Indonesia ang gumagawa nyan eh. And Qatar with those Bosnian players hasn't really made any impact in FIBA Asia in the last few years, which of course is true.

The thing is, its complete stupidity to think that the ways of this world won't change in the next 20 years or so. Case in point, 30 yrs ago tayo lang ang nag parade ng naturalized players. But in the last 15 yrs, we saw Lebanon, Korea, Jordan, Taiwan, Japan, Kazakhstan, Indonesia, Bahrain, parading their respective naturalized players.
                                Then history repeats itself - countries will recruit players with dubious nationality or links to the country he represents then FIBA will implement again another rule to curb those practices.
                                Attack
                                defend
                                Unite

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information