Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 U16 European Championship - Udine (Aug 9-17)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    So Bonas (why Bonas? It's written Bona) was born in Africa and came to Turkey only when he was 14? And at 15 played for Turkey youth NT? He got citizenship just in one year? And you don't know how old he is in such cases, he may easy be older than other kids that would make this simlpy not fair. That's why i don't like African kids in these competitions.
    Well yes, we cant know if it is his real age but when you watch how childish his face and his behaviour is then you know it cant be more than a couple month. At least i am sure that he is 2003 born.

Comment

Originally posted by remigijus View Post
      Latvia and Estonia have big russian minoraties. We have only 5% . In fact our biggest minority is Poles.
      OK thanks.

Comment

And to clarify it. We were the better team. The ball rotation was great, we scored over assists, we used the paint very well, shots were not falling but ok....

LTU scored mostly over iso and used its height advantage to create space. There are undoubtedly very talented guys though. Butkus, Kojenets or Murauskas.

Comment

There will be always speculations regarding the age of Bona as people automatically having prejudices against youth players originated from Africa as soon as they see them playing in European competitions. His appearance tells me he is a really 15-16 years old guy. I couldn't see any sign by looking at his appearance that indicates he is actually a bit older, especially after comparing him with some guys on French roster. I saw him playing 1,5 years ago aswell and he was way more skinny and childish at that time so that I didn't regard any age falsification accusing as possible at that time.

Garuba case is different. He is listed as '00 born guy by Spanish Basketball Federation in some preparation tournaments, after some time he suddenly became belonging to '02 generation. That might be done accidently, but was enough for confusing people.

The coach who scouted Bona is Türkay Çakıroğlu who is known as a youth basketball baron. He holds all professional rights of Bona and he is the partner of a basketball agent. He individually practices with Bona all day long, spends his full time action on this guy. They probably see him as a gem and want him to reach the maximum to get the 'maximum on him'. Mutual benefit.
          Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
          Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

The thing is Bona knows what a chance he got by being discovered at that age. I know stories that Giannis didnt take a taxi to training when he was a rookie in Milwaukee in order to be able to send money to his family in greece. This kid left his 4 other siblings in Nigeria and came with his mom to turkey and his biggest goal is to be a professional and take his family to him. He has no chance to be lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by slice me nice View Post
              There will be always speculations regarding the age of Bona as people automatically having prejudices against youth players originated from Africa as soon as they see them playing in European competitions. His appearance tells me he is a really 15-16 years old guy. I couldn't see any sign by looking at his appearance that indicates he is actually a bit older, especially after comparing him with some guys on French roster. I saw him playing 1,5 years ago aswell and he was way more skinny and childish at that time so that I didn't regard any age falsification accusing as possible at that time.

Garuba case is different. He is listed as '00 born guy by Spanish Basketball Federation in some preparation tournaments, after some time he suddenly became belonging to '02 generation. That might be done accidently, but was enough for confusing people.
              Yeah some kids just develop faster. The controversy around Garuba is just silly, the kid was born in Spain, people seriously think they changed his age? For what purpose? So that they would win a few more youth competitions? Really? I don't get why people get worked up about age so much (probably prejudices like you said), the point of youth basketball is not to win, it is to develop players that can play on your senior team. If like Yi Jianlian, there is a likely age discrepancy, then how did the Chinese basketball team ever benefit from that? He still is the same player. Now the Bucks, who drafted him, might have an argument here, since they thought he had more upside than he actually had, but not the Chinese.

Comment

OK, LTU managed to win against Slovenia in the last quarter. We had almost the game between two bigs in the first co. Serbia vs. LTU but now Greece vs LTU and Serbia vs. Slovenia in the brother game.

Comment

Very nice win by GRE today against a tall LTU team that thoroughly outrebounded us. LTU had a problem with their outside shot until the 4th quarter when they hit a few threes to make it close until GRE pulled away again. The Greek coach used a zone defense and a full court press to force turnovers and limit LTU's inside game. A great game plan. I was impressed by Bazinas who was 9/10 from FT line, Oikonomopoulos who was good defensively and was 4/8 from 3, Mantzoukas who showed a nice touch inside although he also missed some easy shots in the paint.

Worth remembering that we lost to LTU twice in preparation phase, so this win shows nice growth by these youngsters.

Up next a very tough ITA team who will have the crowd on their side.

Comment

Originally posted by christodoulou76 View Post
                    Very nice win by GRE today against a tall LTU team that thoroughly outrebounded us. LTU had a problem with their outside shot until the 4th quarter when they hit a few threes to make it close until GRE pulled away again. The Greek coach used a zone defense and a full court press to force turnovers and limit LTU's inside game. A great game plan. I was impressed by Bazinas who was 9/10 from FT line, Oikonomopoulos who was good defensively and was 4/8 from 3, Mantzoukas who showed a nice touch inside although he also missed some easy shots in the paint.

Worth remembering that we lost to LTU twice in preparation phase, so this win shows nice growth by these youngsters.

Congrats! Now Greece has a real chance to beat the host and become semi finalist. Hope we can make our postponed final game real this time

Serbia must play against Spain tomorrow (first game) und Turkey vs Russia. Wont be easy games.

Comment

Turkey - Russia game is going to be the 24th consecutive Quarter-Final appearance of Turkish U-16 teams being valid from 1987. Impressive stats. In return, this also shows that how we rot our talents unmercifully as we are not advanced in player development.
                      Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
                      Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

Originally posted by slice me nice View Post
                        Turkey - Russia game is going to be the 24th consecutive Quarter-Final appearance of Turkish U-16 teams being valid from 1987. Impressive stats. In return, this also shows that how we rot our talents unmercifully as we are not advanced in player development.
                        This and imo the families who cant deal with the talents of their children. Turkish families spoil their children too much. They never learn to compete or to solve a problem by themselves. Many of the kids cant also deal with the high expectations of their families.

Comment

I dissapointed by our team. This generation supposed to be good judging by everything including friendlies games before the champ and some other tournaments before that. But in EC everything appeared bad: game, result, individual performance.

Comment

Originally posted by christodoulou76 View Post

Great composure from the Greek team, and it was impressive to see how they controlled the game in a senior level fashion.
                            Zone is usually very effective in youth tournaments, yes.
                            5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

just when I thought what a great game it was between Serbia and Spain, the ref called a technical 1.9 sec left, at 71-71 in OT.

it was the right call, technically, the Serbian player fell out of bounds while trying to challenge the inbounding player, but come on! totally spoilt it!
                              5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

How said. Serbia made in the first overtime a three and 2 seconds were left and a Serbian player jumped uncontrolled all the time and touched the line with his foot. Spain won.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information