Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zalgiris Kaunas 2019-20

Quote Originally Posted by ZalgirisFanForLife View Post
    All right, Žalgiris season is officially over, we are the camps 9th year in the row. Things should start moving on. It's clear, that Davies and Wolters is OUT for sure. Buy outs for both. White is a FA and almost 100% he is not coming back, he is too expensive for us. Jankūnas has renewed his contract last summer secretly. Milaknis is staying. Landale should be also next season. We are trying hard to sign Goss. We have interest/want to sign - Lekavicius, Kuzminskas/Giedraitis, Nigel Hayes, RaShawn Thomas, Goss, we will or want to renew Milaknis and Westermann, no info about Kavaliauskas, he want to stay. Situation:
    PG -----, ------, ------
    SG Grigonis, Walkup
    SF Ulanovas, ------?
    PF ---------, Jankūnas, ------?
    C Landale, ------?, Geben, Birutis?

Šaras said, that it should be 4-5 new players, but I'm unsure if Geben counts. Landale already took one place.
    Westermann stays for sure, Lekavičius already has a contract.

I’d love to see Valinskas, Geben, Birutis and Masiulis on the same roster being on loan playing in a European competition. I know that, that is completely unlikely, but I think it’d be great for these guys to have a one last season on a different team.

But because Kavaliauskas is out (hopefully), I’m sure that Gebenas is in, because he did a HUUUGE step forward and already is better than AK was this season. I hope that Birutis is going to recover fully and that we’re getting one sf/pf like Kuzminskas and one pf/c type player. I’d like that, because I really want to see young Lithuanian players getting more playing time and I trully believe that both Gebenas and Birutis (if healthy) has potential to be really good Euroleague players (as well as, Masiulis).

PG - L. Westermann, L. Lekavičius, N.W. Goss
    SG - M. Grigonis, Th. Walkup, A. Milaknis
    SF - E. Ulanovas, M. Kuzminskas (he plays PF, but all of his career he preffered SF)
    PF - N. Hayes, P. Jankunas
    C - J. Landale, M. Gebenas, L. Birutis

and then I’d love to see R. Giedraitis as SF, pushing Kuz to PF, or R. Thomas as PF, keeping Kuz in SF.

I moved the posts here from signings and rumors, this one is a proper thread to discuss Zalgiris next season

Next season Prienai should be smth like Zalgiris farm club in LKL. Seskus will be gone, Zalgiris wants to put their head coach there, I guess obviously it would be Sernius. I doubt that some Masiulis, Birutis, Geben, Valinskas will play there tho as Prienai hardly will be playing in any European competition, unless some FIBA Europe Cup with bunch of minnows. But some Venskus, Uleckas, Jogela, Velicka, maybe even Jokubaitis can have decent playing time in LKL this way. Along with veterans like Lukauskis, Lavrinovic Bros. Hope this plan will work out

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    I moved the posts here from signings and rumors, this one is a proper thread to discuss Zalgiris next season

Next season Prienai should be smth like Zalgiris farm club in LKL. Seskus will be gone, Zalgiris wants to put their head coach there, I guess obviously it would be Sernius. I doubt that some Masiulis, Birutis, Geben, Valinskas will play there tho as Prienai hardly will be playing in any European competition, unless some FIBA Europe Cup with bunch of minnows. But some Venskus, Uleckas, Jogela, Velicka, maybe even Jokubaitis can have decent playing time in LKL this way. Along with veterans like Lukauskis, Lavrinovic Bros. Hope this plan will work out
    A team formed from players who have contracts with Zalgiris, would be really competetive in a Eurochallenge level of competition for sure. Valinskas, Jokubaitis, Velicka, Sabeckis, Jogela, Uleckas, Masiulis, Birutis, Geben. Add couple of veterans and you’d have a top5 LKL team for sure. I guess, Zalgiris would find a way to get Skycop into Eurochallenge if they would really want it.

Quote Originally Posted by bakas View Post
    A team formed from players who have contracts with Zalgiris, would be really competetive in a Eurochallenge level of competition for sure. Valinskas, Jokubaitis, Velicka, Sabeckis, Jogela, Uleckas, Masiulis, Birutis, Geben. Add couple of veterans and you’d have a top5 LKL team for sure. I guess, Zalgiris would find a way to get Skycop into Eurochallenge if they would really want it.
    FIBA Europe Cup would be too low level for the guys like Geben, Masiulis, Valinskas, Birutis. That's crappy competition, only to waste some money and maybe good to use some youngsters. But that would be step back to these guys. Getting a chance to play in Champions League qualifiers would make more sense, but it's hardly possible, since Juventus announced that they are coming back to European scene for next season and probably will get a place there, or Pasvalys might interfere too, if Petrauskas will stay with his dad money. Both finished above Prienai in regular season. I think Masiulis, Valinskas might stay where they are or move abroad. Geben I guess will end up in Zalgiris, while Birutis could move to some Neptunas i.e. and play in FIBA CL, depends who will be a coach there

PG - Lekavičius, (I'm starting to think that they're not certain about keeping Leo, and Jokubaitis is probably gonna be on loan)
    SG - Grigonis; Milaknis; Walkup
    SF - Ulanovas
    PF - Hayes, Jankūnas
    C - Londale

Now the remaining questions:
    - Will they keep Kavaliauskas? (I hope not, but with a completely new CENTER lineup, he's likely to stay as someone good for the chemistry)
    - Wil they bring back Masiulis? (I think he'd benefit more from staying on an Eurocup team);
    - Will they bring back Geben? (I have mixed feelings here, because I think one more year on loan, would be great, but he has already reached Antanas' level)
    - Will they loan Birutis? (I hope so, he needs to regain his confidence)
    - Will they loan Jokubaitis? (with Lekavičius back, I think it'd be great for him to play on a Eurocup team as well, where he could get good minutes);
    - Will they keep Westermann? (I really like him and I hope he stays);
    - What combo guard will they get? (Nigel William-Goss would be great)
    - What PF/C we will get? (Both targets - Rashawn Thomas and Zach LeDay, would be extremely amazing)
    - Will we get Kuzminskas? (That would be great)

If we'll keep Westermann, add Geben, add Thomas or LeDay, add Goss and add Kuzminskas, I'd say that would be the best roster since we won Euroleague.

After Hayes was signed, I doubt Kuzminskas is an option, not anymore IMO. They are completely the same type of players. Why to spend extra 600k+ for a player who isn't needed badly? I think with Kuz wanting to explore the market and wait at worst even till NT camps, his case is over

Okey, so according to the last report and some rumors, we are close to Rashawn Thomas and there should be another PG, even tho Javtokas said differently. And the first option is still Goss. I mean, he isn't such a difference maker from my perspective, that Žalgiris should look only on him and no one else. There could definitely be another option. Goss isn't a good shooter, nor he's a very good finisher or a playmaker that Leo is. I agree he has size, but greek fans say, that even on D he is more of a problem that a help. He is definitely a decent player, a EL player, but to want him so bad, I don't understand. Anyway, if we pull those moves off, Landale/Hayes/Thomas won't go to the NBA, we are set. Just imagine:

PG Goss, Lekavičius, Westermann
    SG Grigonis, Walkup
    SF Ulanovas, Milaknis
    PF Hayes, Thomas
    C Landale, Jankūnas, Geben

Westermann would be that guy, who comes in the game and calms all the chaos, he would change the tempo. Goss - a main guy, who should be stable 10ppg and 4apg, Lekavicius uptempo guy, scoring 8-10 point after sub-in. Grigonis and Walkup - duo that should take another step ahead. Ulanovas and Milaknis - a stable position, where we shouldn't expect anything amazing, but they will do their job - one is for D and another for shooting. Hayes and Thomas - an upgrade at shooting, they will kill boards and fast breaks, a very promising duo. And a center position, I hope, that Landale will look decent, because I don't really see his one dominant skill - not a reliable shooter, not a beast on boards, not an athletic beast, not the fastest one. Jankunas however will have his back if he will stay healthy. So, to sum up, definitely better on offense, but the main question - will Hayes and Thomas glue our D, like White and Thompson did, or not.

westermann is staying?

Okey, so according to the last report and some rumors, we are close to Rashawn Thomas and there should be another PG, even tho Javtokas said differently. And the first option is still Goss. I mean, he isn't such a difference maker from my perspective, that Žalgiris should look only on him and no one else. There could definitely be another option. Goss isn't a good shooter, nor he's a very good finisher or a playmaker that Leo is. I agree he has size, but greek fans say, that even on D he is more of a problem that a help. He is definitely a decent player, a EL player, but to want him so bad, I don't understand. Anyway, if we pull those moves off, Landale/Hayes/Thomas won't go to the NBA, we are set. Just imagine:

SG Grigonis, Walkup
    SF Ulanovas, Milaknis
    PF Hayes, Thomas

Westermann would be that guy, who comes in the game and calms all the chaos, he would change the tempo. Goss - a main guy, who should be stable 10ppg and 4apg, Lekavicius uptempo guy, scoring 8-10 point after sub-in. Grigonis and Walkup - duo that should take another step ahead. Ulanovas and Milaknis - a stable position, where we shouldn't expect anything amazing, but they will do their job - one is for D and another for shooting. Hayes and Thomas - an upgrade at shooting, they will kill boards and fast breaks, a very promising duo. And a center position, I hope, that Landale will look decent, because I don't really see his one dominant skill - not a reliable shooter, not a beast on boards, not an athletic beast, not the fastest one. Jankunas however will have his back if he will stay healthy. So, to sum up, definitely better on offense, but the main question - will Hayes and Thomas glue our D, like White and Thompson did, or not.
    Landale isnt reached level first option of team who play Euroleague ,he had some obvious lacks .Lekavicius is more proper for style of Zalgiris than Williams Goss ,one of the reason why Zalgiris have had many problems,last years ,is creation of attack ,when wasnt player with good crative ability .In that sense,Goss cant help .Westermann from secondary role could surprise . He have had extreme injury ,need time to back mobility .

SG Grigonis, Walkup
    SF Ulanovas, Milaknis
    PF Hayes, Thomas

Yeah, I don't know. Are we really still relying on rumors that Zalgiris is after Goss, despite one of the main guys in the club saying that we aren't? I mean I wish it is just a big bluff to confuse Oly and teams interested in Goss (I guess..?), but I somehow doubt that Javtokas is the person who plays these kind of games. Our GM Motiejunas have said deceiving things in the past, but not Javtokas. In general, current Zalgiris does a lot to build its reputation as a respectable, trustworthy and professional in every way organisation, and such dubious statements would not bode well with this image.

Didn't he says they're not looking for new PG for now?

In my opinion if they don't take any other PG, then they have to bring back P.Valinskas to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by CriCsus View Post
    In my opinion if they don't take any other PG, then they have to bring back P.Valinskas to the team.
    What for? He won't help much in any case. LKL level player, not a PG and needs ball in his hands to be efficient

I think now the case on backline is closed, maybe later someone will be added. But don't think it will be Goss, he should remain in Oly, he has 1+1 in his deal left, that's what rumors from Greece says. Maybe only recent changes in Oly management might make some difference

I believe Pierriá Henry would be a good add for Zalgiris.
    I don't know why any EL team go for him.
    Go Efes Pilsen - Go Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Efesdxb View Post
    I believe Pierriá Henry would be a good add for Zalgiris.
    I don't know why any EL team go for him.
    Maybe there's interest from some European clubs, but he is chasing NBA. We had him in our wishlist last summer, Olympiacos also did, but he decided to move to Unics for bigger money. He had some injury concerns last few months too, then some disagreements with coach, which was the main reason Unics didn't offer him new deal, so maybe other clubs are a bit cautious too

Last edited by AMJA; 07-04-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Well, Leo leaving Zalgiris has two sides - first it’s sad ant there’s somekind of a feeling of betrayal, as Zalgiris invested in restoring his career, he also shoots threes good and has impressive IQ. On the other hand, he is not as good as he was, he’s an injury prone.

Now everything depends on how the rest of the roster turns out - if we get Goss and LeDay everything will be fine (AND maybe Kuzminskas? It’s still quite silent in his camp and as my ‘half-reliable’ sources told me, Urbonas wasn’t right - they’re approaching him again for SF position. Hayes is PF and another C/PF is on the way).

With Perez IN, chances to see Goss become thinner. I'm not very excited to see him, would've prefered Goss much more, but it is, what it is.

With the rumors and actions of other clubs, I'm pretty sure we're landing Kuzminskas and LeDay to finish off our 12 man rotation, which, at the end of they day, would still be quite promising.

PG - Perez, Lekavicius
    SG - Grigonis, Walkup (PG/SF), Milaknis (SF)
    SF - Kuzminskas (PF), Ulanovas
    PF - Hayes (SF), Jankunas
    C - LeDay (PF), Landale, Geben

13-14th players being Jokubaitis and Masiulis, this seems like a great team, the only weak place seems Perez.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast