Zalgiris Kaunas 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zalgiris Kaunas 2019-20

I mean, I would love another PG, if we have the moneys for it. But Siva wouldn't be a guy, we would get if we are getting another PG. Lekavicius come to mind, because his contract ends, Pasqual is gone from PAO and if they won't get Saras, Lekavicius will come to us, I'm 100% sure. But Leo or Thomas can't be 3rd options on a team. Jokubaitis got some minues in EL this season, and next one he should get even more mins. Thomas should go up the position then and be SG and either Milaknis or Grigonis will go to SF. Another option - get Giedraitis to SF position and Milaknis would be left for 5-10mins for only specific role. That would kind of make sense, because there will be 4 more games in EL. Bigger roster. More kind of younger lithuanians. A core of Grigonis, Ulanovas, Lekavicius and Giedraitis would be something promising. Plus one of Geben, Birutis, Masiulis, Jokubaitis, Uleckas and Jogela should be a decent player in a couple years. It is a quite good time to start building a new core, because Jankunas, Milaknis and Kavaliauskas will be their last season I think. If we reconsider everything I would change my line up for next season to this:

PG Leo, Lekavicius, Jokubaitis
    SG Grigonis, Walkup, Milaknis
    SF Ulanovas, Giendraitis, Uleckas
    PF ........., Thompson (PF/C), Jankunas (PF/C), Masiulis
    C Mickey/McLean/Lessort, Kavaliauskas, Geben, Birutis

HC Saras

17 players, 5 yuongsters, 3 veterans, so 9 players, that will have a bigger role.

Originally posted by ZalgirisFanForLife View Post
    I mean, I would love another PG, if we have the moneys for it. But Siva wouldn't be a guy, we would get if we are getting another PG. Lekavicius come to mind, because his contract ends, Pasqual is gone from PAO and if they won't get Saras, Lekavicius will come to us, I'm 100% sure. But Leo or Thomas can't be 3rd options on a team. Jokubaitis got some minues in EL this season, and next one he should get even more mins. Thomas should go up the position then and be SG and either Milaknis or Grigonis will go to SF. Another option - get Giedraitis to SF position and Milaknis would be left for 5-10mins for only specific role. That would kind of make sense, because there will be 4 more games in EL. Bigger roster. More kind of younger lithuanians. A core of Grigonis, Ulanovas, Lekavicius and Giedraitis would be something promising. Plus one of Geben, Birutis, Masiulis, Jokubaitis, Uleckas and Jogela should be a decent player in a couple years. It is a quite good time to start building a new core, because Jankunas, Milaknis and Kavaliauskas will be their last season I think. If we reconsider everything I would change my line up for next season to this:

PG Leo, Lekavicius, Jokubaitis
    SF Ulanovas, Giendraitis, Uleckas
    PF ........., Thompson (PF/C), Jankunas (PF/C), Masiulis
    C Mickey/McLean/Lessort, Kavaliauskas, Geben, Birutis

HC Saras

17 players, 5 yuongsters, 3 veterans, so 9 players, that will have a bigger role.
    We definitely need one guard who is stronger individually, like Pangos was. Because when the game is on the line and the pressure rises, usually there is no one who can split the defense on his own. Grigonis is trying, but I think it’s not his time yet to do that. Again, with Leo, Grigonis, Lekavicius, Walkup and Milas we would have 5 average players and we would have to rely on ball movement only. Also I am not so sure about extending Thompson. Sure he is a decent player, but do we really need another foreigner on the bench? It’s better to invest into better starting PF and let Jankunas come off the bench. Also, Masiulis may rise to the occasion.
    And finally I believe Uleckas will get sacked. Sent to some LKL team or smth. He didn’t leave a good impression like Jokubaitis did. His strong side supposed to be his 3pt shooting, yet he proved to be very streaky.

Comment

According to most reliable source in Lithuania 24sek, Zalgiris already have center and PG in mind that should replace Davies and Wolters. White should go as well, there are minimum chances he will stay. Deon is most likely OUT, we would like to keep Leo and Kavaliauskas, but there can be not enouph space on the roster for them. Grigonis cought some attention from Europe, but he has 2 more years in his contract and he should stay. Ulanovas and Walkup is staying. Jankunas and Milaknis staying with smaller salaries. Geben and Birutis will be in a roster. Jokubaitis also. Masiulis could join them and replace Deon. The roster picture is looking like that:
      PG new, Leo?, Jokubaitis
      SF Ulanovas, new?, junior
      PF new, Jankunas, Masiulis?
      C new, Geben, Birutis

I mean, everyone talks, that Geben should take Kavaliauskas spot, but he was 2nd center. He had to come on Winter , but Juventus didn’t let him go and thomson came here. So who is he replacing? Is he getting significant minutes in his debute? Weird rotation. Birutis will be healthy and should get playing time too. So only new guy and two youngsters? And did 24sek wrote that we already have replacements for PG and C, or we have targets for that?

Comment

According to most reliable source in Lithuania 24sek, Zalgiris already have center and PG in mind that should replace Davies and Wolters.
        Maybe I missed something, but I don't get why Davies would have to be replaced... I thought his contract got extended for two seasons just before last year playoffs versus Oly.

As for Leo, maybe he would like to stay, but I guess this won't be for same price as this season, so this is not sure at all in my opinion. When he left for CSKA last time, this was for significantly higher salary, and the main reason he could came back this year for an affordable salary is because of all the doubts related to his injuries. Even if he got little physical issues during the year, he proved he came back at his top level.

Comment

Originally posted by Prancūzėlis_ZLD View Post
          Maybe I missed something, but I don't get why Davies would have to be replaced... I thought his contract got extended for two seasons just before last year playoffs versus Oly.

As for Leo, maybe he would like to stay, but I guess this won't be for same price as this season, so this is not sure at all in my opinion. When he left for CSKA last time, this was for significantly higher salary, and the main reason he could came back this year for an affordable salary is because of all the doubts related to his injuries. Even if he got little physical issues during the year, he proved he came back at his top level.
          Zalgiris is always shady with the contracts. It says 2 years, but maybe it's 1+1 on a player's side.
          Most likely there's a buy-out clause in Davies contract, and it shouldn't be huge, because he's paid 500k, so it definitely won't be more than that.
          And of course, every big club in Europe can pay that kind of buy-out. It's not a problem for them.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRager View Post
            Zalgiris is always shady with the contracts. It says 2 years, but maybe it's 1+1 on a player's side.
            Most likely there's a buy-out clause in Davies contract, and it shouldn't be huge, because he's paid 500k, so it definitely won't be more than that.
            And of course, every big club in Europe can pay that kind of buy-out. It's not a problem for them.
            Yes, wouldn't be a money problem for any of the biggest club, especially for a player like him.
            edvinas9 wrote in another topic that the buy-out (on player's decision) seems to be 200-250k

Comment

basketnews.lt says Žalgiris wants Lekavičius and Kuzminskas. I think Lekavičius is pretty much done deal, he'll come back while with Kuz will be harder. That would be super sweet.
              LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
              Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
              Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                basketnews.lt says Žalgiris wants Lekavičius and Kuzminskas. I think Lekavičius is pretty much done deal, he'll come back while with Kuz will be harder. That would be super sweet.
                Zalgiris would be a perfect place for Kuz to rehabilitate his career. But it depends on how much money he wants. Also, what position would he fill? I'd rather see him at small forward spot, than in PF like he was in Milano.
                Leka as a 2/3rd PG(if Leo stays, he would share PG/SG minutes, also I hope for a strong PG in the Wolters' spot) is super fine (would fill the role of what Walton should've been).

Comment

According to most reliable source in Lithuania 24sek, Zalgiris already have center and PG in mind that should replace Davies and Wolters. White should go as well, there are minimum chances he will stay. Deon is most likely OUT, we would like to keep Leo and Kavaliauskas, but there can be not enouph space on the roster for them. Grigonis cought some attention from Europe, but he has 2 more years in his contract and he should stay. Ulanovas and Walkup is staying. Jankunas and Milaknis staying with smaller salaries. Geben and Birutis will be in a roster. Jokubaitis also. Masiulis could join them and replace Deon. The roster picture is looking like that:
                  PG new, Leo?, Jokubaitis
                  SF Ulanovas, new?, junior
                  PF new, Jankunas, Masiulis?
                  C new, Geben, Birutis

I mean, everyone talks, that Geben should take Kavaliauskas spot, but he was 2nd center. He had to come on Winter , but Juventus didn’t let him go and thomson came here. So who is he replacing? Is he getting significant minutes in his debute? Weird rotation. Birutis will be healthy and should get playing time too. So only new guy and two youngsters? And did 24sek wrote that we already have replacements for PG and C, or we have targets for that?
                  I think we have a verbal agreement with them, that's it.

Comment

Kuzminskas is offensively one of the most skilled forwards in the league, can shoot 3s, drive, post-up, good in transition. But in D he’s a problem. He can’t guard PF because in EL they are to big and he has not the right energy to contain physical players. He simply can’t guard players like Williams, Singleton, Randolph, Shengelia, O’Bryant, Moerman, Lauvergne Who did their best games against him. He needs to play as a SF in Euroleague, probably he still would face some problems because he’s not speed enough to contain players like Clyburn, but in these EL power forwards are more offensively dangerous than Sf so his defensive lack would be more hidden in that role.

But if kaunas will keep Ulanovas, Grigonis, Milaknis etc it seems that he’s going to replace White and play as a PF. Not the best solution for him. I would keep him in Milan as a 3 with Micov, but I know it’s almost impossible and he’s going to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Steph Milano View Post
                      Kuzminskas is offensively one of the most skilled forwards in the league, can shoot 3s, drive, post-up, good in transition. But in D he’s a problem. He can’t guard PF because in EL they are to big and he has not the right energy to contain physical players. He simply can’t guard players like Williams, Singleton, Randolph, Shengelia, O’Bryant, Moerman, Lauvergne Who did their best games against him. He needs to play as a SF in Euroleague, probably he still would face some problems because he’s not speed enough to contain players like Clyburn, but in these EL power forwards are more offensively dangerous than Sf so his defensive lack would be more hidden in that role.

But if kaunas will keep Ulanovas, Grigonis, Milaknis etc it seems that he’s going to replace White and play as a PF. Not the best solution for him. I would keep him in Milan as a 3 with Micov, but I know it’s almost impossible and he’s going to leave.
                      Why do you think he's gonna leave?

Comment

Why do you think he's gonna leave?
                        Because rumors in Italy say that there will be only few changes among foreigners. A pg/sg from the bench with defensive attitude and a physical PF also with defensive skills. And the players sacrificed are going to be Jerrells and Kuzminskas. He also has one of the highest salaries.
                        And he said in an interview that he doesn't feel comfortable playing only as a pf, he would prefer to play sf. So he's going to stay probably only if he accepts less money and if coaching staff changes his mind and decides to put him as a 3, which is almost impossible because Nunnally and Micov will be the sf next season. Jerrells 99% out, Kuzminskas 80% out. James, Nedovic, Nunnally, Micov, Gudaitis, Brooks, Tarczewski in. That's the situation.

Comment

Jock Landale could replace Davies. Hmmmm... A frount court of Center-Landale, Geben, Birutis and PF Kuzminskas, Jankunas and Masiulis would be a problem :/

Comment

Zalgiris would be a perfect place for Kuz to rehabilitate his career. But it depends on how much money he wants. Also, what position would he fill? I'd rather see him at small forward spot, than in PF like he was in Milano.
                            Leka as a 2/3rd PG(if Leo stays, he would share PG/SG minutes, also I hope for a strong PG in the Wolters' spot) is super fine (would fill the role of what Walton should've been).
                            Kuz doesn't need to rehabilitate anything. At some point after horrid season in NBA, sitting out almost all year, he was on the sump, but now he's fine. His shooting % are great, his physicality is there, the only reason he doesn't put great numbers because it's that kind of a role in Milan, he really do not overdo there. In Zalgiris he would have much bigger role offensively and I'm pretty sure Šaras would find ways to cover Kuzminskas defensive issues. I'm pretty sure he would play 4.

As for Lekavičius, I would expect slightly bigger role than he had in the last season in Žalgiris. To me Westermann was a disappointment this season. His feet work is silly these days, even looking at it is a bit awkward, he's not good at D anymore. He struggled with 2pts %, he missed tons of games and choked in the PO. Lekavičius production in 16/17 was better than Westerman's this season. I expect Lekavičius to be a better player now once he will get back on track with a lot of playing time (NT experience will help here), he has more experience now and slowly entering his prime, much like Grigonis. Jasikevičius loves Lekavičius because he is super aggressive at both ends of the floor, you can basically call him 2 ways player, and Šaras knows how to cover his height problems inside (which is highly overrated and practically almost non existant).
                            LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                            Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                            Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

After Urbonas and Miklovas podcasts, the best I could get from rumours:

PG Goss, Lekavičius, Jokūbaitis
                              SG Grigonis(SF), Walkup, Westermann(PG)
                              SF Ulanovas, Milaknis
                              PF -------, ------(C), Jankūnas(C)
                              C Landale, Geben, Kavaliauskas

Any Motum fans? Could be possible, because his contract with Efes is done.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information