2019 U19 World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Any comments on Mali? I see this country for the first time in basketball (and in sports generally) and they are good. Not a typical no-brainer African team. They ended 3rd in the group (could be better) but got lucky with a draw and will face New Zeland (the best possible 2nd place to match up) and then (if win) Argentina as the easiest opponent who won a group. So Mali has good chances to reach a semifinal.
    this is the first time they will enter the game as favorites to win it.
    knowing how bad african teams usually cope with that I wouldn't say it will be easy for them against New Zealand.
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Mali was pretty good at the U17 WC last year and to that group they added Coulibaly, headed to Pitt next year, and the Drame twins who have been also playing at a high level in the US. It's not too surprising they that are doing well.

U19 tournament always kind of depends which players are available. Inagine the US with a full team, France with their U17 stars from last year, Canada with Barrett, Australia with Josh Green. When the top players are missing, other teams can surprise.
      Originally posted by Fedfan
      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
      Originally posted by GuTO
      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
        Kinda agree. Not overly strong inside and lacking shooting, but still have outstanding length in most positions. Some of USA guards are really tall with long wingspans and they still a leading team in efficiency. However, they're one of the worst rebounding, shooting threes teams. So it's interesting. Knock out stage should be fun.
        The biggest dissapointment so far for me is Jalen Green, of course he is just 17 but he is considered a big time talent and from what I've see on him from HS highlights he seems to have some Kobe vibe, but so far in the tournament he hasn't done anything special, especially his shot is off. Hope it's just a matter of being 2 years younger than competition because I'm intrigued by his talent. About the rest of the team, I think they are quite talented, just they lack outside shooters that team USA in latest competition had always plenty of them and it was an important aspect of their game, but out of this they have plenty of talent and athletisism, they also miss Evan Mobley but I believe they are still the big favorite. Regarding Senegal, they are a nice team and that's why they gave a fight with team USA at least defensively, they have Biram Faye of Gran Canaria who is a nice talent and I also liked Amar Sylla from what I saw.

Also congratulations to Mali! They have a very strong squad and now Oumar Ballo is finally unleashed! Btw do you think he has grown any since last year?? He is still listed 6'10 but maybe they haven't update his measurements, idk. If he grows to 7 feet he can become the next big C in the NBA, still he has a wingspan of 7'5-7'6, just WOW!!!

Comment

Man Lith bigs sucks...Australians climbing all over the boards...
          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
          Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Great...best player of our team out with an injury...
            LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
            Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
            Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by EverGreen View Post
              Greece has some decent players in Arsenopoulos, Rogavopoulos, Karambelas and Sotiriou but the coach (Kastritis) is useless. The team depends on hail Mary three's because they play without any systems.

Up by 16 points against Argentina yesterday after 25 mins..ended up losing by 5.
              Well to be honest I dont think that we can count them all "decent". Charalampopolous was a true leader and much better than Rogka and vanished. The Problem with Rogka is that he is too slow in his movements his mechanics are good but he acts like in slow motion. I dont thnk he has a chance in professional business. Arsenoplolous is really bad in finishing must work on his mechanics. The only really good guy is Karampelas and he is really short but the real greek problem is in centerposition. Watched 3 games of your U20 in turkey (Turgut Atakol Tournament) and is the same problem still. You are practically without a Center if Papagiannis gets injured.

Comment

OK i watched the greece vs france game and it was horrible. 25% fgp 4/27 three point attempts greek player could barely make 40 points with free throw presents. Watched some U16 games in greece and i think they must change a lot there. Very lame games there is no place for developments. They immediately has to give young guys more chances to play especially cl teams like paok peristeri etc.
                Last edited by Toruko; 07-03-2019, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Chara is undersized for PF(in matchups we saw that he is as tall as 200 Okben Ulubay) and too slow and decent ballhandling for SF therefore he could have problems at pro level but of course he could still end up as a good player. Rogka is another level, he is a huge talent. It´s not important that his moves look slow because his decisions are fast and he is great on 1on1 and his moves are unpredictable. He is very young for this tournament, 14 months younger as Arsenopoulos(talented but chaotic) and already is much better and could even dominate the greek game much more if he wants. Greece has great talents in Rogka & Kalaitzakis twins but nothing on PF/C.

Comment

In my opinion,dispostion on this tournament is next . Usa ,afterward Serbia and France ,in third group are Mali and Canada ,in fourth Russia,Lithuania,Puerto Rico . This tournament had clear problem with luck of teams in circle for medals .Good is some new national teams which play good ,Mali or Puerto Rico .

Comment

Game of day is France-Canada,probably only uncertain game, France had bigger chances ,maybe Puerto Rico could surprise Mali,Lithuania also could win,but if Serbia disappoint ,if play correct ,Lithuania doesnt had realistic chances for semi-final.

Comment

In first half,Mali looks disrupted .Seems like back Ballo disturb roles in team .Kanoute,Koulibaly and Drame play for two level worse . In Puerto Rico Miranda,Curbello and Strawther bear others, very elegant and creative play this three players .

In second half Mali showed enormous phisical difference ,used defensive weakness of Puerto Rico ,and for few minutes won the game .
                        Last edited by Nemanja; 07-05-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Game in which you know in 5th minutes who will win .Lithunia raised level untill this game.Serbia play predictable ,with many limits , slowly,in defense often uninteligent .How many point Lithuania made,in transition 1on1 ? Except Pecarski and Petrusev none reliable offensive player . Passive defense ,bad miss match ,some situation few seconds before end of attack made some needless foul.Lithuania have had good shoots,good pnr ,after them Lithunia got wide and quickness .Serbia didnt anything to stop that .Everything this,I write before over time ,I m convinced we will lose ,like I wrote this was obvious in 5th minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemanja View Post
                            Game of day is France-Canada,probably only uncertain game, France had bigger chances ,maybe Puerto Rico could surprise Mali,Lithuania also could win,but if Serbia disappoint ,if play correct ,Lithuania doesnt had realistic chances for semi-final.
                            If, if,... ,bla, bla,..., funny .., if for Lithuania there would be play Sirvydis , Serbia doesnt have realistic chances for semi-final.

Comment

Originally posted by G&B View Post
                              If, if,... ,bla, bla,..., funny .., if for Lithuania there would be play Sirvydis , Serbia doesnt have realistic chances for semi-final.
                              I congratulate win,but probably even you are surprised .How Lithuania played untill this game ,it was very problematic,I was critical on Serbia,but even I thought we will win you .

Comment

I believe Mali is the first African team to make Top 4 of the FIBA World Cup at any age level, be it U17, U19, or seniors?
                                Originally posted by gideon
                                Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information