Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think 12 of the top American Euroleaguers (unnaturalized by other countries) could still compete for gold in Tokyo.

Brown/Henry
    Loyd/James
    Higgins/Hilliard/Barron
    Clyburn/Booker (if healthy)
    Hines/Reynolds

Baldwin, Mickey, Peters and plenty of others on deck.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Diesel View Post
      Think 12 of the top American Euroleaguers (unnaturalized by other countries) could still compete for gold in Tokyo.

Brown/Henry
      Loyd/James
      Higgins/Hilliard/Barron
      Clyburn/Booker (if healthy)
      Hines/Reynolds

Baldwin, Mickey, Peters and plenty of others on deck.
      I think that this is a very good team but they wouldn't be the best team in the competition. I think that a more balanced non NBA Finals roster out of NBA playerse is the prefered option of coach Pop. USA had a nominally very solid team in China and looked horrible.

I think best would be a 2010 or 2014 like roster of young extremely talented players that are on the edge of getting superstars. The only one of this category in China was Donovan Mitchell (besides Tatum who had health issues).

Comment

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
        I think that this is a very good team but they wouldn't be the best team in the competition. I think that a more balanced non NBA Finals roster out of NBA playerse is the prefered option of coach Pop. USA had a nominally very solid team in China and looked horrible.

I think best would be a 2010 or 2014 like roster of young extremely talented players that are on the edge of getting superstars. The only one of this category in China was Donovan Mitchell (besides Tatum who had health issues).
        Oh I agree, by and large you're going to have a better chance with NBA players than non NBA players. I was mostly trying to take a stab at fielding an all Euroleague Team USA with the best shot to compete for a gold, which I don't think is that far fetched. They might not be the favorites, but if Mike James and Jordan Loyd get hot from deep or Will Clyburn has a timely block or whatever, there's no reason they couldn't be in the mix in the medal rounds. Also, there's a case to be made that 12 Euroleague Americans would have more familiarity with one another than last year's China failure due to the comparatively fewer teams in the league and many of them having been teammates, not to mention their familiarity with the rules, refs and competition.

A repeat of 2010 and 2014 would be ideal, but there were generational talents on those teams. As you said, that wasn't the case in 2019. For me there's a clear line of demarcation where if dudes start catching "dropout fever" again next summer and USA basketball is down to their fifth or sixth options, I think I'd rather roll with Pierra Henry and Othello Hunter than the Colin Sextons and Mitchell Robinsons of the world.

By the way, I was locked out of my account for some reason, hence the new username.

Comment

If USA Basketball can put out any (positionally distributed) 12 of the following 35 players, they should be in really good shape to win gold. After that it starts getting dicey.

PGs
          Lillard
          Curry
          Paul
          Morant
          Lowry
          Irving
          VanVleet
          Holiday
          Young
          Brogdon

2’s
          Harden
          Booker
          Beal
          Mitchell
          LaVine
          Westbrook

Wings
          Leonard
          Butler
          Tatum
          George
          Ingram
          Middleton
          J. Brown
          Covington
          Mikal Bridges

Bigs
          James
          Davis
          Durant
          Adebayo
          Aldridge
          Jaren Jackson Jr.
          Zion
          Griffin
          Love
          Turner

Comment

Yeah, that is a good list. But it depends who of them is coming. It's a difference if James and Davis show up or Turner and Love. Same with Middleton and Brown or Leonard and Tatum. Olympic Gold is very important to Team USA, I am 100% sure there will be a well balanced great team.

Comment

On other hand, the game time for those who will be following games lives from Europe... 6 AM or sometimes even 4 AM...it's a torture...
              LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
              Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
              Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                On other hand, the game time for those who will be following games lives from Europe... 6 AM or sometimes even 4 AM...it's a torture...
                I moved your post to this thread as I think you mean Tokyo Olympics

Overall I agree, times sucks. I remember 2006 World Champ in Japan, there hardly were games at such early time or the same Beijing 2008. You could watch most of the games in the morning or at midday with very few exceptions. Even in Sydney 2000 with even bigger time differences, such late night games were only bronze one and probably opener vs Italy

Comment

Noticed the other day that the Olympics announced all games will be played without foreign spectators.
                  Not sure if anyone hear was planning to attend, but that won't happen now.

Hurts some of the countries that travel well or are in closer proximity to Japan as their fans won't be there.

Comment

4 FIBA writers give early prediction. Kaunas qualification tournament now happens to be most waited and hardest to predict tournament. All 4 fellows agrees that Canada, Brazil and Serbia are clear favorites to snatch the tickets, while Lithuania and Slovenia each share 2 votes.

Not sure if P. Mills still at the point to be best scorer of Olympics, it's on Bogdanovic or Fournier, IMO.

As for medalists...to me it's USA gold, CANADA silver (some peppers here!) and SERBIA (shouldn't choke 2 times in a raw)

MIES (Switzerland) - We have invited FIBA writers Julio Chitunda, Igor Curkovic, Sajjatam Kulsomboon and Jeff Taylor to share their thoughts and predictions for the busy summer ahead.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                      4 FIBA writers give early prediction. Kaunas qualification tournament now happens to be most waited and hardest to predict tournament. All 4 fellows agrees that Canada, Brazil and Serbia are clear favorites to snatch the tickets, while Lithuania and Slovenia each share 2 votes.

Not sure if P. Mills still at the point to be best scorer of Olympics, it's on Bogdanovic or Fournier, IMO.

As for medalists...to me it's USA gold, CANADA silver (some peppers here!) and SERBIA (shouldn't choke 2 times in a raw)

http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/...press-in-tokyo
                      How the fuck Brazil is favourite in Croatia?! Against Germany and Croatia? I don't see that they are any stronger than those two mentioned especially in Croatia.

Comment

How the fuck Brazil is favourite in Croatia?! Against Germany and Croatia? I don't see that they are any stronger than those two mentioned especially in Croatia.
                        Good point though.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

It's FIBA experts I remember original edition of this poll, then two of them had blooper with both Slovenia and Lithuania qualify or smth like that After that they changed it, I mean guys didn't even know the system

Comment

Calm down guys. Its not even clear that the Olympic games will take place. The groups are a bit weird though. Germanys group and Lithuanias group are way too weak and the other two are too strong imo.

Comment

Yeah Brazil? No, thank you. They have become a fairly aged and decrepit team the last 4 years. I don't see them coming out of that Qualifier at all.

And this guy is a bit of an idiot:

Jeff Taylor: The gloves are coming off! Canada will come out of the Olympic wilderness. Why is this bold, you ask? Because Canada's men are really the great underachievers in international basketball the past two decades. They have all things "under" when it's come to the big moments. They have underwhelmed, underperformed, underachieved while often times being understaffed (i.e, some players haven't shown up for duty). So yes, this is a bold prediction. They'll finally get it right in 2021, with coach Nick Nurse, and beat Greece in the Final to reach Tokyo.

The great underachievers in international basketball the past two decades? WTF is this guy talking about?

The only time I consider we underachieved it is the 2015 FIBA Americas when we were rolling over everyone with very young NBA players - many who turned out to not be too good (Anthony Bennett, Nik Stauskas, and even Andrew Wiggins) - and then got caught by Venezuela.

Other than that I don't think we have ever assembled a team that underachieved. They were just not very good teams...with very little talent. And it is not until the last 5 or 6 years we even had the talent to assemble a decent team. Damn...this guy should really have looked into Canada's talent pool post the Steve Nash era (2000ish) to 2015.
                              Last edited by mojo13; 03-18-2021, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Roster of the Frenchmen came out. Straight Forward will diss me as huge fan of French school but I am really not that impressed. This team is position-wise really good and formidably chosen but lacks creativity except De Colo and somehow less physical than previous French rosters. Will be interesting to seeing them in Japan, though. I have huge respect of their talent, nontheless.

Can't wait to see Spanish roster as World Champion and best European team.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information