This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel this is the first and the last time we see this format
    Do you think you are a pro NBA fan? So you have to be able to pass this NBA quiz
    My Score was 90%

Comment

I donĀ“t like it, but can do nothing about it
      there is no reason for this change

Comment

It very big chance that worst 3rd place team will be from USA group that will be eliminated because they will lose to Usa by big margin.Most 3rd place teams will have record 1-2 and then if fiba gonna count +- thats just not fair. Also is huge diffrence to have Nigeria or Japan as weakest team in group counting+-/.

Usa,Japan and Australia and France lets imagine such group. One of the Australia and France is not making playoofs.

by old format there were 9 top teams and 3 assian/african/host pushovers .In order not to make 1/4 that one of 9 elite teams should been playing very badly for 5 games.

By new format elite team can be playing well but lose close game by 2pts game against other medal contender and be blown by Usa by 30pts and can be out because in other group 3rd place team lost to Spain only by 18...

In new format draw will be way more important than before.And i didnt even talk about second draw after groups.

I dont trust fiba draws after seeing what shamefull draw they put for host China in WC2019.More draws will put more speculations.I would rather see some 'smart ass' team lossing on purpose on basketball court than see 'fiba drawings' twice for same olympic tournament.
        Last edited by Shawshank; 06-21-2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Dude, way too early to speculate on a drawing I doubt we'll (Lithuania) get screwed 2 tournaments in a row by a draw (and partially FIBA itself). But first of all there's Olympic qualification and Slovenia.
          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
          Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
            Dude, way too early to speculate on a drawing I doubt we'll (Lithuania) get screwed 2 tournaments in a row by a draw (and partially FIBA itself). But first of all there's Olympic qualification and Slovenia.
            dude, im talking about new system not ltu nt can you read? Making 2 diffrent draws for same only 12 team tournament looks strange idea and counting +- scores against diffrent level teams for me looks illogical , i see one team gonna get burned just because unlucky draw.

Comment

dude, im talking about new system not ltu nt . Making 2 diffrent draws for only 12 team tournament looks strange idea and possibly counting +- scores against diffrent level teams and by that decide who gets eliminated for me sounds even more strange.

I want to see more olympic basketball not less in olympic years when all the best players playing and less lucky/unlucky draws made.Fiba went diffrent way.
              Last edited by Shawshank; 06-21-2020, 11:58 PM.

Comment

I agree it's still too early to know, we'll just have to wait and see
                https://ballamazingly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                  I don't like it either. run 3 Never liked system with that "2 best 3rd place finishers" or similar formats, when teams can't decide their fate between each other and are dependent on other groups. Imagine you are getting the USA in your group, you're blowing out by some 30, and you're most likely out thnx due to worse points difference just because the draw wasn't favorable, fc it. It was a great format, with a lot of great games, but FIBA needs to show that they are working and as usual FC ked up. No doubt they pushed IOC to this idea
                  Your opinion is very clear!!

Comment

I agree too, it's to early too early to know, we must wait and see. however here have nice opinions.
                    https://mediabox.buzz/

Comment

David Silver says that it's unlikely that NBA will have a brake during Olympics. It would be huge blow for the Olympics itself. I think Spain would suffer a lot, because Rubio was the main piece for them in 2019 and Lull, Rodriguez are getting washed out. Serbia surely would feel this sharply because BOG is their best player in FIBA, IMO, and Jokic is Jokic, plus Bjelica (but Serbia would still be a good team). I don't see how France would survive without Fournier, Gobert, they do have depth, but those 2 and even such defensive monsters as Ntilikina matters. Lithuania, IMO, would suffer the least from European best teams. Domas and JV are impactful, but, IMO, not vital and we do have solid bigs like Gudaitis, Birutis, Geben, also that means we really beating Slovenia in qualification. If NBA players won't show up, Greece should be in Olympics and they won't miss Giannis all that much, he's not a good fit for FIBA. Americans without NBA players would probably suck at FIBA. G league players and some college studs? If there' no young Durant now (I didn't study all that much really), they are in real trouble. At least the title would be completely open then, and I think Euro powerhouses would go after it.

Also I think knowing this situation with Corona and NBA, there's tons of chances Olympics will take place only in 2022.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

We should qualify but we will have a B roster. Which out of some reason feels bad because that could have been a peak of two combined generations. Anyways, as you have said - it can open the path to some epic sensation and overthrowing of USA.

Comment

Also I think knowing this situation with Corona and NBA, there's tons of chances Olympics will take place only in 2022.
                          The last thing I read about the issue few months ago, it was said - 2021 or its cancelled, unless some new info appeared, maybe missed it. Anyway, looks like basketball will suffer the most here. No star players - the prestige of bball tournament would go down drastically, I'm a huge Olympics fan, but I don't even know if I want to see some B-squads competing for such honorable award like Olympic medal, it would be the worst bball Olympic tournament ever, even without NBA pros we used to have best other NTs from around the world. Shitty situation. I hope some solution will be found, still lot of time to go

Comment

The last thing I read about the issue few months ago, it was said - 2021 or its cancelled
                            It would make sense. I see what you mean, but to me it would still be fun to go without NBA players. Still huge entertainment even if not that exciting and special event when absolutely all best athletes come.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

The last thing I read about the issue few months ago, it was said - 2021 or its cancelled, unless some new info appeared, maybe missed it. Anyway, looks like basketball will suffer the most here. No star players - the prestige of bball tournament would go down drastically, I'm a huge Olympics fan, but I don't even know if I want to see some B-squads competing for such honorable award like Olympic medal, it would be the worst bball Olympic tournament ever, even without NBA pros we used to have best other NTs from around the world. Shitty situation. I hope some solution will be found, still lot of time to go
                              ikr...
                              as much as I enjoy gruelling FIBA grindfests and this brand of basketball, not having the best players compete would significantly diminish the prestige of the tournament. I probably wouldn't even watch any games at all, that including lithuanian games as well lol. The Olympic basketball event would become the same 3rd rate competition as Olympic football is imo

Comment

David Silver says that it's unlikely that NBA will have a brake during Olympics. It would be huge blow for the Olympics itself. I think Spain would suffer a lot, because Rubio was the main piece for them in 2019 and Lull, Rodriguez are getting washed out. Serbia surely would feel this sharply because BOG is their best player in FIBA, IMO, and Jokic is Jokic, plus Bjelica (but Serbia would still be a good team). I don't see how France would survive without Fournier, Gobert, they do have depth, but those 2 and even such defensive monsters as Ntilikina matters. Lithuania, IMO, would suffer the least from European best teams. Domas and JV are impactful, but, IMO, not vital and we do have solid bigs like Gudaitis, Birutis, Geben, also that means we really beating Slovenia in qualification. If NBA players won't show up, Greece should be in Olympics and they won't miss Giannis all that much, he's not a good fit for FIBA. Americans without NBA players would probably suck at FIBA. G league players and some college studs? If there' no young Durant now (I didn't study all that much really), they are in real trouble. At least the title would be completely open then, and I think Euro powerhouses would go after it.

Without NBA players most of the same teams will be strong, but there will be not much difference in level among them.

The biggest loss will be for the USA, Canada, Australia and France. This will impact the medals.
                                Yet, France, Spain and Serbia will be weaker, but decent enough. These countries still have plenty of talent in Europe.
                                Greece and Lithuania will gladly sacrifice their NBA players (Giannis, Valanciounas, Sabonis) for the loss of the NBA players of the above mentioned countries.
                                PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information