2020 Philippine u18 Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
    then there shouldn't be an issue in recruiting. please read querty's replies again.

Qwertyz has a point though, the Gilas program has been reliant on recruiting filforeign players and there hasn’t been the urgency to improve local development like there should be. The fact that there aren’t more locals being recruited abroad despite the popularity of the sport is a travesty and it has nothing to do with genetics as even locals with foreign blood aren’t as developed as Filipino players from abroad. Example Willie Miller. It’s doing both, improving local development sets the bar. If local players become better, the recruiting of filforeign players will be much tougher as the bar will be higher so no longer just anyone can get in as well as it raises the level of basketball within the country. The better the players the better the national team, the better the national team players are going to want to join of their own volition and it’ll become easier to recruit a Jalen green who can choose between 2 top basketball countries if he isn’t recruited fast enough similar to a Nico Mannion and italy

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
      ^
      The basketball world does not revolve around the Philippines, if what you're saying is true (growth of basketball development in other countries ) which i agree, then really the protest of the hagop rule is litterally dead ! People are insular looking , seeing from the perspective of the Philippines alone.. sa totoo lang , all this fuss about the hagop rule is really almost never mentioned anymore outside the Philippines anymore, Yeah maybe 6 or 10 yrs ago, but now .. wala talaga, Filipinos just talk louder and more often about it. pero wala talaga fuss outside the Philippines, not in the last 5 years
      This is totally unnecessary coming from a foreigner. Its just a baseless insulting statement that warrants clarification.First of, not all Filipinos think the same and second, it is not really bad to hype up our own players.Ikaw nga yung mga Webster brothers, did they even make an NBA lineup? It's ok if you talk smack at us about rugby, because the tall blacks are known to be the best in the world, but aside from Steven Adams, who else is in the NBA if that is your sole basis of basketball skills? It's like being proud of your kid that could play basketball and one parent would call you stupid for believing that your kid can be big someday. That's a very classy statement from a 1st world foreigner,mabuhay ka.
      "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• All this talk of D1 players, look at South Korea how many D1 players do they have. How many are those are not naturalize? But this teams have beaten teams with D1 players like Philippines, Japan, China and NZ. Also Iran, probably have one D1 player in the past two decades and still number one Asian team.

Comment

• ^
          I wasn't referring to anything about players abilities but purely people's concern about the Hagop rule outside the Phlippines , my statement is mere observation " wala talaga fuss (about the hagop rule) outside the Philippines, not in the last 5 years
          NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
          https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
            Qwertyz has a point though, the Gilas program has been reliant on recruiting filforeign players and there hasn’t been the urgency to improve local development like there should be. The fact that there aren’t more locals being recruited abroad despite the popularity of the sport is a travesty and it has nothing to do with genetics as even locals with foreign blood aren’t as developed as Filipino players from abroad. Example Willie Miller. It’s doing both, improving local development sets the bar. If local players become better, the recruiting of filforeign players will be much tougher as the bar will be higher so no longer just anyone can get in as well as it raises the level of basketball within the country. The better the players the better the national team, the better the national team players are going to want to join of their own volition and it’ll become easier to recruit a Jalen green who can choose between 2 top basketball countries if he isn’t recruited fast enough similar to a Nico Mannion and italy
            its easy to say grassroots development, but we have to put our words in good use like building facilities, that are not really business oriented but more of a "public use" for local talents to experience world class training. Its a shot in the moon I know since our government cant really provide for every single thing. As for Miller, its a far cry since there are a lot of guards in the states that could basically have the same skill set and offer some more. I think Rafe is a bit oer hyping Willie on this one. Don't get me wrong I've seen Miller play live when he was a college player, virtually unknown since they haven't played in the NCAA yet and he was a new recruit.The Knights played against former knights and some PBA players (who were former Letran players) that tim (I think Mustre of SMB were a part of the pro players). He did this quick drive with a spin move, which gave him a free layup against the pros that almost everyone's jaw dropped. Miller is an exceptional player, I think quicker than most locals along with his confidence and wit specially when he is in very good game shape, but I think being in the NBA would take a bit more than that.

Miller is about 5'10-5'11, and he is not really the best ball handler and plays more of a 2 than a 1.Can we say that he could play against Jameer Nelson, Nate Robinson,Aaron Brooks,Chris Paul etc? Maybe with a more polished ball handling and overall point guard skills, but with him as is, I sincerly think it was not enough. Like what I said, if he was 6'2-6'3 with solid ball handling and passing skills, then it may have been a different story and yes, he really needs genetics to be above 6 feet. Guys with Millers talent which I think is more likely self trained, he would have been more skillful with the help of the right people with the right knowledge and tools. Nowadays, we are getting better in training compared to the 90's and the early 2000's.
            "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by zairex View Post
              All this talk of D1 players, look at South Korea how many D1 players do they have. How many are those are not naturalize? But this teams have beaten teams with D1 players like Philippines, Japan, China and NZ. Also Iran, probably have one D1 player in the past two decades and still number one Asian team.
              Yes exactly. We can get all the D1 prospects we want but at the end of the day lack of development will kill us. Korea is able to stand up and go toe to toe with countries who have players with international experience. Not saying we should be like them and just not pursue international experience. All im saying is that they can survive against stronger countries with minimal reliance to their overseas raised players.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
                Is this true that 2nd most popular na sa NZL ang basketball!!! Which is more popular sport there? And which is popular in NZL? Basketball or Cricket?
                to qualify as a participation sport (# who play) in school (mainly high school) , i believe soccer is the # 1 participation sport. This of course is not true from a viewership or spectator metric , of course Rugby , Cricket and even netball (for women) is more popular in viewers than basketball
                NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

We can develop good local players.. Just to be patient... Look at Castro.. He's the best PG in the PHL and even Asia.. Even foreign based players like Pringle, who developed his game in the states.. The problem is patience..
                  Another thing we could develop is the professional leagues. Again very idealistic but it will work in our favor. 2 conferences, 1 All-Filipino and 1 import laced with 2 imports (both western or with 1 western and 1 Asian import), with good vacation time to heal players and a good schedule to compliment the FIBA tournaments. Increase the number of teams probably adding 2-3 more teams and lower the age of draftees to 19 or 20.Before I like the thought of getting 21 years or older because of education purposes but I realized that there are kids that graduate earlier than most, besides, pro players could still finish their studies even after getting drafted. If we could compete with the salaries in Korea,Japan or Australia, chances are we will attract very good imports that could raise the level of competitiveness of play. Easier said than done, but this I think is the only way to develop our pros.

Comment

Is this true that 2nd most popular na sa NZL ang basketball!!! Which is more popular sport there? And which is popular in NZL? Basketball or Cricket?

This is where I got it from. Also Analyzed you can vouch for this right? Basketball has been the fastest growing sport in New Zealand.

Comment

• Originally posted by qwertyz View Post
                      https://play.stuff.co.nz/details/_61...UctTa_GhTM_AvY

This is where I got it from. Also Analyzed you can vouch for this right? Basketball has been the fastest growing sport in New Zealand.
                      Yes from a participation playing perspective, unfortunately because it is not popular in viewership and spectators it does not get sponsors and funding .

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                        ^
                        The basketball world does not revolve around the Philippines, if what you're saying is true (growth of basketball development in other countries ) which i agree, then really the protest of the hagop rule is litterally dead ! People are insular looking , seeing from the perspective of the Philippines alone.. sa totoo lang , all this fuss about the hagop rule is really almost never mentioned anymore outside the Philippines anymore, Yeah maybe 6 or 10 yrs ago, but now .. wala talaga, Filipinos just talk louder and more often about it. pero wala talaga fuss outside the Philippines, not in the last 5 years
                        Maybe because we are the most affected.

We have a lot of great Fil Foreign players around the world.

Other countries only have maybe 1,2 or 3 at most.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post

That isn't necessarily true, (we're the most affected), it's just that others who also have a large diaspora community over generations, no longer claim missed prospects as a loss. As they never considered them as theirs to begin with.
                          Here is thing though to put into context, we're just one country or member federation among over 200 countries, and it is practically just us complaining in the last 5 years, that's trully a disconnect from the rest of the world mindset (insular just about us).

Can we even see 1 post of this Hagop rule being discussed in a IBN thread outside of the Philippines ones?

Comment

• We should always fight the Hagop rule if only for the principle of supporting the various Filipinos that want to represent the country but cant because of that stupid rule.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post

We’re definitely not the most affected. Pero if you look at other countries like Taiwan they didn’t really make a serious push to make J.Lin brothers eligile for their national team. They added them to the pool but thats it. We have to understand that basketball has been on an all time high in terms of development. 113 international players couple of years ago and not one of them belongs to the Philippines. We have minimal improvement. We’ve sent a couple to the G League. Not much were successful at that level. We’ve sent a couple at high school and college level again not successful. There have been Asian players local to their country who has made a really strong impact overseas. Kai is the only one that I could think of tbh.

For the past few days the issue was there is a over reliance on fil-foreign talents. Which is really evident. Not saying we should stop recruiting fil-foreigners all im saying is that other countries have already looked pass hagop rule and started developing local talents. Why cant we do that? Why cant we move on from the hagop rule and focus on locals and fil-foreigners who are willing to play for the country before 16. Why is that hard to do? Seriously other countries can do it. No heavy reliance on their foreign based players whatsoever.

Comment

• Jeremy Lin was a member of the USA Select Team. Just like us and Jalen Green, its hard when a prospect is already in the team USA system.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information