Olympiakos-white towel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazz View Post
    I don't think Maccabeo would appreciate that!

Why? Both can shot 3s!

Comment

Originally posted by markkanen View Post
      Although I agree with you, I wonder why are the other greek clubs on such a low level? PAOK, AEK, Marussi, Aris were once in Euroleague, and now they are just rubbish. Greek HEBA league is just that final series, all other games are boring and predictable.
      First of all "just rubbish" depends on the situation.Put Paok or Aek in adriatic league and they are instant contenders of the title.Put them in French or German league and they are top 6 teams.The thing is those clubs were in Euroleague when they had rich owners who were willing to lose a fortune for their teams to go well.At one point they got tired of losing money.I have no doubt in my mind that same thing will happen sooner or later with Pao and Oly.It already began with Angelopoulos brothers.And anyone who thinks that just because they are the biggest clubs in greece with more fans they'll always attract some rich owners,they just have to take a look at Pao football club.

To cut a long story short current model of top clubs in europe is not sustainable unless of course you are lucky to be part of football clubs that earn billions per year(see Real,Barca).Even Zalgiris with their modest budget and full 14k arena in every match need public money of Kaunas county to survive.I expect more bubbles to burst soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Chacho View Post
        Why? Both can shot 3s!
        Good point but he prefers younger players and would see signings like this as "food for the fans."

I'm glad you raised the question of where those two guys would play though. It's hard to imagine them in another team at this point.

Comment

I don't know about Oly being the biggest club in Greece (that's not my area, sorry), but I disagree with the ones saying that Oly will be dissolved or get much weaker. Remember, not that long ago, in 2009, Zalgiris was in even worse situation. It was on the verge of bankruptcy, being as much as 11m euros in debt at the time. But it has survived.
          So I imagine the same will happen to Oly - such important club cannot just simply fade away, even though some Pao fans would be delighted to see that.
          It will find its way to stay relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRager View Post
            I don't know about Oly being the biggest club in Greece (that's not my area, sorry), but I disagree with the ones saying that Oly will be dissolved or get much weaker. Remember, not that long ago, in 2009, Zalgiris was in even worse situation. It was on the verge of bankruptcy, being as much as 11m euros in debt at the time. But it has survived.
            So I imagine the same will happen to Oly - such important club cannot just simply fade away, even though some Pao fans would be delighted to see that.
            It will find its way to stay relevant.
            olympiakos will be relegated if they dont show up in one more game,as they said they will do against panathinaikos. thats a law,not an assumption. players already dont want to come to olympiakos because they dont pay their players salary (weems talked about that). they threaten everyone they will leave for adriatic league. every greek wishes for that. i wanna see the spoiled aggelopouloi bros paying for the other teams airplanes,hotels etc like maccabi did when they played in adriatic league (and left the next year cause it wasnt any good for them). right now they cant even pay their own expenses. the hotel where their team goes before games has locked the bars in the rooms so they cant steal the water bottles and the soft drinks
            Sasa Pukl for MVP

Comment

With Oly in Adriatic league we will miss 6-8 (normally) derby matches between Pao and Oly. I'm not content with that. No other bball fan either.

Comment

Originally posted by Adon View Post
                With Oly in Adriatic league we will miss 6-8 (normally) derby matches between Pao and Oly. I'm not content with that. No other bball fan either.
                Yes, if i.e. Zalgiris can do very well alone in Lithuania as basketball here is religion what so ever and no other sport come close, then I think Greek basketball needs PAO-Oly rivalry. It attract lot of attention. Other than that PAO probably would do well alone as a club with EL being main competition and local league coming to full attention only with PO, like Zalgiris does now

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                  Yes, if i.e. Zalgiris can do very well alone in Lithuania as basketball here is religion what so ever and no other sport come close, then I think Greek basketball needs PAO-Oly rivalry. It attract lot of attention. Other than that PAO probably would do well alone as a club with EL being main competition and local league coming to full attention only with PO, like Zalgiris does now
                  If Rytas was equally good as Zalgiris, things would be a lot more interesting for you too.

Comment

If Rytas was equally good as Zalgiris, things would be a lot more interesting for you too.
                    Nothing will come close to our rivalry vs CSKA in 80s, I can't describe how big it was for us, politics of course played big part Regarding Rytas, they were good back in 00s, taking whole decade since 99-00 till 09-10, they even won 5 titles out of 11 tries, the rivalry was fun to watch, but did it help Zalgiris to reach smth more recognizable in Europe? Not really, vice versa, our best wins were in other decades, in that one only Sabas season is to remember and that famous Maccabi loss

Comment

Every team has it's ups and downs

Olympiacos is having some financial problems at the moment, but will bounce back eventually. There is no question about that
                      As for...dissolving, I wouldn't worry ( or wish ) about that. Olympiacos does not have a raving lunatic as an onwer

Moving to the ABA league ( hopefully ) will bring a nice fresh approach, away from the toxic environment of the dpg infested greek bball

Comment

Probably I belong to the minority but I don't like Oly's degradation. It's sad for many reasons and it's damaging for the Greek bb. The rivalry of 2 worthy opponents was good for the fans and for both clubs. Imo it's potentially harmfull for Pao in the lomg run.
                        If so the majority is unthinking. For Panathinaikos to reign unchallenged at the top of the Greek League is really bad for the Greek League. Challenge spurs competition, and competition results in better play. Moreover I also strongly suspect that a weaker Greek League will end up hurting the Greek national team sooner rather than later.

Originally posted by MrRager View Post
                        Those would be the Panathinaikos "first-and-only" fans who simply don't care about the health of Greek basketball in general.

Last edited by Hepcat; 04-16-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Bob View Post
                          Economic situation doesn’t help, but basketball in Europe is doomed per se. FIBA destroyed it....
                          How so?

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                            How so?

They haven’t done anything for decades. They just felt asleep and wake up in the world, where basketball brings only loses. Real, Barca, Bayern are alive only because their bigger brother is giving money for their hobby. Then you have some clubs with rich sponsors and others, who are on the verge of bankruptcy. All in all disaster.
                            previously known as Beno

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                              Nothing will come close to our rivalry vs CSKA in 80s, I can't describe how big it was for us, politics of course played big part Regarding Rytas, they were good back in 00s, taking whole decade since 99-00 till 09-10, they even won 5 titles out of 11 tries, the rivalry was fun to watch, but did it help Zalgiris to reach smth more recognizable in Europe? Not really, vice versa, our best wins were in other decades, in that one only Sabas season is to remember and that famous Maccabi loss
                              I agree with Adon. More competition for Žalgiris from Rytas and other teams in the LKL would not only make things more interesting for Lithuanian basketball fans but would be good for player development and thus the Lithuanian national team. I can't help but think that Žalgiris' dominance in the last 5-10 years is a contributing factor behind the current dearth of potential future stars on the Lithuanian national team.

Comment

Originally posted by Nireus View Post
                                Moving to the ABA league ( hopefully ) will bring a nice fresh approach, away from the toxic environment of the dpg infested greek bball
                                What is the "dpg"? Dominant point guard?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information