Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympiakos-white towel

Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    Probably I belong to the minority but I don't like Oly's degradation. It's sad for many reasons and it's damaging for the Greek bb. The rivalry of 2 worthy opponents was good for the fans and for both clubs. Imo it's potentially harmfull for Pao in the lomg run.

I hope it's something temporary and Oly will recover soon.
    Totally agree with this. It’s the rivalry that has “instigated” the growth of both teams.

A part of Pao fans are already happy with just winning the domestic league, something that can be achieved with half the budget if Oly drops to the level of PAOK. That would obviously mean the end of any EL F4 dreams. This refers to the long run though, not the next year, or 2 years from now.

Additionally, the worth of the opponent is what makes a victory satisfying.

IMO, Aggelopouloi got arrogant after winning b2b EL and thought that they are above the players and that they would be able to repeat this miracle under any circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chacho View Post
    Such as? Valencia or Alba? Bayern? Follow Papaloukas footsteps and end up at Maccabi (in fact, with Sfairopoulos could be quiet possible)?
    Olympiacos are very importent to the EL and the BB family. I can't see VS in Maccabi later, he is far behind his days, even he is one of the biggest ever
    2019/2020:
    PG: Deleany, Walters, Zoosman
    SG: Wilbwkin, D-Ba, ?
    SF:Casspi, Avdija, Zoosman
    PF: O'Braient, Cohen, Amare
    PF: Tyus, Black, Voitman

Quote Originally Posted by saras View Post
    i wish them the worst and euroleague should find a way to drop them out of euroleague cause they disgrace basketball and they will be worse than this year's darusafaka
    Sorry, but this is a real pathetic approach. Euroleage won’t be better organisation without Olympiacos nor Greek League.

I am sure they are able to overcome such ordinary difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by paspalj View Post
    Totally agree with this. It’s the rivalry that has “instigated” the growth of both teams.

A part of Pao fans are already happy with just winning the domestic league, something that can be achieved with half the budget if Oly drops to the level of PAOK. That would obviously mean the end of any EL F4 dreams. This refers to the long run though, not the next year, or 2 years from now.

IMO, Aggelopouloi got arrogant after winning b2b EL and thought that they are above the players and that they would be able to repeat this miracle under any circumstances.
    Although I agree with you, I wonder why are the other greek clubs on such a low level? PAOK, AEK, Marussi, Aris were once in Euroleague, and now they are just rubbish. Greek HEBA league is just that final series, all other games are boring and predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by markkanen View Post
    Although I agree with you, I wonder why are the other greek clubs on such a low level? PAOK, AEK, Marussi, Aris were once in Euroleague, and now they are just rubbish. Greek HEBA league is just that final series, all other games are boring and predictable.
    I think it had something to do with the economic situation in the country as the teams struggle to attain competitive budgets. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by paspalj View Post

who cares about olympiakos? i wish them to go until the end relegate to second division and do whatever they want after that. panathinaikos was a f4 team (2005),when olympiakos was finishing 8th in greek league and losing by 50 points at home from efes at that season. nobody needs olympiakos. after all they are disgrace of humanity and sports,a team that poisoned the enemy team to qualify in the 1995 f4,a team with idiot owners that blame everybody else apart from themselves,a team full of disrespectfull idiot players (bogris,agravanis and more),a team with fans used to winning "by any means" like they do at football. but unfortunately for them there is no vardinogiannis and alafouzos here. he promised he will dissolve them and thats close to happen,if hasnt happened already. when that disgusting club disappears from greek basketball,that day will be a very good day for everyone in greece and europe in general
    Sasa Pukl for MVP

As MrRager said, it’s all about the money. Owning a basketball is hardly an investment (especially in Greece). You need to put in way more money than what you get back in order to make your team competitive. So although there are a couple of crazy people like DPG and Aggelopouloi that send money down the drain, the current financial situation is very unforgiving for other businessmen to think about putting money in.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
    I think it had something to do with the economic situation in the country as the teams struggle to attain competitive budgets. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Economic situation doesn’t help, but basketball in Europe is doomed per se. FIBA destroyed it and EuroLeague didn’t do anything to save it. Football has won big that battle. No TV rights and no money doesn’t go to work for a long time.
    previously known as Beno

An interesting remark:
    Most oly fans criticize Blatt, but they left in the clear "the good boys" which are the main cause for all that. If I was an oly fan I would be very angry with their unsportsmanlike behaviour and their complete lack of self-criticism.
    In addition, Aggelopouloi, with their decisions, try to drag down Greek bball along with them. No surprise from the same guys who threatened that they would not permit their players to participate in the NT.

Follow Papaloukas footsteps and end up at Maccabi (in fact, with Sfairopoulos could be quiet possible)?
    I don't think Maccabeo would appreciate that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    I don't think Maccabeo would appreciate that!

Why? Both can shot 3s!

First of all "just rubbish" depends on the situation.Put Paok or Aek in adriatic league and they are instant contenders of the title.Put them in French or German league and they are top 6 teams.The thing is those clubs were in Euroleague when they had rich owners who were willing to lose a fortune for their teams to go well.At one point they got tired of losing money.I have no doubt in my mind that same thing will happen sooner or later with Pao and Oly.It already began with Angelopoulos brothers.And anyone who thinks that just because they are the biggest clubs in greece with more fans they'll always attract some rich owners,they just have to take a look at Pao football club.

To cut a long story short current model of top clubs in europe is not sustainable unless of course you are lucky to be part of football clubs that earn billions per year(see Real,Barca).Even Zalgiris with their modest budget and full 14k arena in every match need public money of Kaunas county to survive.I expect more bubbles to burst soon.

Why? Both can shot 3s!
    Good point but he prefers younger players and would see signings like this as "food for the fans."

I'm glad you raised the question of where those two guys would play though. It's hard to imagine them in another team at this point.

I don't know about Oly being the biggest club in Greece (that's not my area, sorry), but I disagree with the ones saying that Oly will be dissolved or get much weaker. Remember, not that long ago, in 2009, Zalgiris was in even worse situation. It was on the verge of bankruptcy, being as much as 11m euros in debt at the time. But it has survived.
    So I imagine the same will happen to Oly - such important club cannot just simply fade away, even though some Pao fans would be delighted to see that.
    It will find its way to stay relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
    I don't know about Oly being the biggest club in Greece (that's not my area, sorry), but I disagree with the ones saying that Oly will be dissolved or get much weaker. Remember, not that long ago, in 2009, Zalgiris was in even worse situation. It was on the verge of bankruptcy, being as much as 11m euros in debt at the time. But it has survived.
    So I imagine the same will happen to Oly - such important club cannot just simply fade away, even though some Pao fans would be delighted to see that.
    It will find its way to stay relevant.
    olympiakos will be relegated if they dont show up in one more game,as they said they will do against panathinaikos. thats a law,not an assumption. players already dont want to come to olympiakos because they dont pay their players salary (weems talked about that). they threaten everyone they will leave for adriatic league. every greek wishes for that. i wanna see the spoiled aggelopouloi bros paying for the other teams airplanes,hotels etc like maccabi did when they played in adriatic league (and left the next year cause it wasnt any good for them). right now they cant even pay their own expenses. the hotel where their team goes before games has locked the bars in the rooms so they cant steal the water bottles and the soft drinks
    Sasa Pukl for MVP

With Oly in Adriatic league we will miss 6-8 (normally) derby matches between Pao and Oly. I'm not content with that. No other bball fan either.

With Oly in Adriatic league we will miss 6-8 (normally) derby matches between Pao and Oly. I'm not content with that. No other bball fan either.
    Yes, if i.e. Zalgiris can do very well alone in Lithuania as basketball here is religion what so ever and no other sport come close, then I think Greek basketball needs PAO-Oly rivalry. It attract lot of attention. Other than that PAO probably would do well alone as a club with EL being main competition and local league coming to full attention only with PO, like Zalgiris does now

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Yes, if i.e. Zalgiris can do very well alone in Lithuania as basketball here is religion what so ever and no other sport come close, then I think Greek basketball needs PAO-Oly rivalry. It attract lot of attention. Other than that PAO probably would do well alone as a club with EL being main competition and local league coming to full attention only with PO, like Zalgiris does now
    If Rytas was equally good as Zalgiris, things would be a lot more interesting for you too.

If Rytas was equally good as Zalgiris, things would be a lot more interesting for you too.
    Nothing will come close to our rivalry vs CSKA in 80s, I can't describe how big it was for us, politics of course played big part Regarding Rytas, they were good back in 00s, taking whole decade since 99-00 till 09-10, they even won 5 titles out of 11 tries, the rivalry was fun to watch, but did it help Zalgiris to reach smth more recognizable in Europe? Not really, vice versa, our best wins were in other decades, in that one only Sabas season is to remember and that famous Maccabi loss

Every team has it's ups and downs

Olympiacos is having some financial problems at the moment, but will bounce back eventually. There is no question about that
    As for...dissolving, I wouldn't worry ( or wish ) about that. Olympiacos does not have a raving lunatic as an onwer

Moving to the ABA league ( hopefully ) will bring a nice fresh approach, away from the toxic environment of the dpg infested greek bball

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast