4 9.52%
  • Panathinaikos: 1-3

6 14.29%
  • Panathinaikos: 0-3

0 0%
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [2019 EL PO] Real Madrid - Panathinaikos OPAP

Default [2019 EL PO] Real Madrid - Panathinaikos OPAP

the last year's champion on one side, and the scorching hot PAO on the other side, this match-up now looks a lot more interesting than 4 weeks ago. Is Mr Pitino's 35-deflections gonna be enough for an upset?
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

80-20 for Real.

We need to have almost perfect 40 minutes to beat them (and we need 3 of them ). Real has the talent to do damage (to Pao) with 10 minutes of good play.

Let hope that Pitino will present a 110% focused team and that we'll put up a fight.

I want Pao to sweep this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmojoya View Post
    I want Pao to sweep this one.
    Me too. But if we get only one absurd wish, I hope I get that 10 million dollars I asked for

Panathinaikos will win this series. I am putting some money on it.
    3-1.

I think Pao has a chance to upset Real in the first game. Then, everything is possible. If not, 3-0 or 3-1 are the most probable results.

3-0 Madrid wins.
    FENERBAHE BASKETBALL
    --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019 Turkish Cup Champion ---
    ---1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 Turkish League Champion ---
    ---2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

3-1, probably greens gonna win one game in OAKA.

Everybody will win their games at home court and Real Madrid will win 3-2.
    Go Efes Pilsen - Go Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by edvinas9 View Post
    3-1, probably greens gonna win one game in OAKA.
    Even Zalgiris managed to grab a game in Madrid. Why not Pao?
    Unless you think that Real tanked that game the day before

Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    Even Zalgiris managed to grab a game in Madrid. Why not Pao?
    Unless you think that Real tanked that game the day before
    Tanked for what? For a draft lottery pick? There's no reason for teams to tank, especially when they are playing in their home court. Motivation overruled tier 1 team. That's it.

I just don't believe that Panathinaikos learned how to play away games, since they almost never win outside OAKA. Wins against CSKA/Milan ain't saying nothing for me, cuz CSKA are playing not the best basketball right now and Milan's performance went completely down after Gudaitis got injured.

Quote Originally Posted by edvinas9 View Post
    Tanked for what? For a draft lottery pick? There's no reason for teams to tank, especially when they are playing in their home court. Motivation overruled tier 1 team. That's it.

I just don't believe that Panathinaikos learned how to play away games, since they almost never win outside OAKA. Wins against CSKA/Milan ain't saying nothing for me, cuz CSKA are playing not the best basketball right now and Milan's performance went completely down after Gudaitis got injured.
    They could have tanked the game because they didn't care and they went easy on you. Do you believe that?
    If you don't then Pao has a chance as well.

So, "pao hasn't learned how to play away games" and 4 away wins on the road -among them CSKA and Milan-"don't say anything to you".
    With the same logic, Zalgiris doesn't know how to play home games. Or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    They could have tanked the game because they didn't care and they went easy on you. Do you believe that?
    If you don't then Pao has a chance as well.

So, "pao hasn't learned how to play away games" and 4 away wins on the road -among them CSKA and Milan-"don't say anything to you".
    With the same logic, Zalgiris doesn't know how to play home games. Or not?
    Actually, it's true, Zalgiris is very bad this season at home.

And yes, Real played without two best players and without much desire to win. Same as CSKA agaisnt Maccabi or Panathianikos in their two only defeats in Moscow. That's a schedule issue with this system - 30 rounds, no PO till the end, only f4. Not even promotion - relegation system, so teams from the bottom of standings doesn't have to fight for anything.

About this series, Real is much better team. 3-1 with one Panathinaikos victory in OAKA, that's all.

A perfect storm seems to be building up in this one. Sergio Llull out for the first two games, PAO peaking at the right moment.
    I have underestimated PAO's fighting spirit in the past, will not do it again.
    Real Madrid 1-3 PAO.
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

its the exact opposite situation with last year. now real has the home court advantage,the pressure to win the series and perhaps llull injured (they expected him to come back). i think both will get an away win and series will be decided at 5th match. panathinaikos needs lekavicius and lojeski to step up and at least play 10 minutes each without being negative for the team. we need their perimeter shooting. i think llull will be forced to play in athens if we grab a victory at spain. the only common thing with last year is that panathinaikos looks to be in a better form at the time being compared to real. but play offs being in 10 days,so that might change,or unwanted injuries might occure. panathinaikos will rest players in greek league too,so calathes and some older guys like langford and gist will have some days to prepare for the series and be ready in terms of fatigue. its gonna be a fun series anyway cause both teams play good defence and fast at offense. real is better in set situations,panathinaikos in transition with calathes able to force fast breaks after steals and long rebounds. we need to run whenever we have the chance to do it,cause otherwise we will be trapped in 5v5 situation where we lack shooters and that might cost us

some coincidence for those who believe in destiny.
    -euroleague 2000 round of 16 knock out
    panathinaikos qulaified to the quartefinals winning the match against buducnost like this year. the same day olympiakos was disqualified by a promising young lithuanian who scored 30 points against olympiakos as an olimpia ljubliana player. his name? sarunas jasikevicius. panathinaikos won the trophy at the end of the season...

-euroleague 2011 play off series
    panathinaikos had the home court disadvantage against a spanish team (barcelona-real madrid) that was the previous year champion(2010-2018),with the upcoming f4 being in spain(barcelona-vitoria). panathinaikos won the trophy at the end of the season...
    Sasa Pukl for MVP

Another great series between 2 classic and legendary teams. I hope we pass, but if we are defeated, it would be nice to see PAO winning again. I have sympathy over them since I started watching basket the last decade. Their battles vs MAC and CSKA in the FF were astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by paspalj View Post
    Me too. But if we get only one absurd wish, I hope I get that 10 million dollars I asked for
    this was good

Anyway, the most improbable prediction is Pao winner 2-3.
    I don't give any chance for Pao to win the 5th game in Madrid. Pao winner 1-3 is more realistic, in an (extremely) good scenario for the greens.

I get the feeling that there is gamesmanship on behalf of RM and Llul and he will play in the play offs.
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

ATHENS, Greece—Rick Pitino led teams to the NCAA tournament in 21 separate seasons before he truly understood the meaning of March Madness. When he finally did, it was more than 4,000 miles from the nearest American college, in a smoke-filled, unheated Athens gym, surrounded by the most combustible basketball fans in Europe.

Having made a career in such unhinged environments as Louisville, the University of Kentucky, and the New York Knicks, Pitino thought he was prepared for what someone had warned him was “Kentucky on steroids.” Then he got to Panathinaikos, one of the two biggest clubs in Greece.

“I’ve witnessed things I’ve never witnessed in my lifetime here,” Pitino said.

Those things include giant inflatable genitalia waving in the stands, bright red flares set off inside arenas, and the time Panathinaikos’ club president put a €10,000 ($11,247) bounty on a fan of rival Olympiakos who spat on him. (The supporter was eventually located and apologized before anyone could collect.)

None of that lunacy has stopped Pitino from doing what he does best. Panathinaikos hired him in December as its seventh coach in six years because things were starting to get a little out of control, even for them. The team was 6-8 in the EuroLeague and set to miss the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade.

But after a three-month turnaround that almost no one in America saw, Pitino hauled the club into the eight-team playoffs on Thursday with victory in the last game of the regular season. That night, Pitino told his players, was their Sweet 16 game.

“You’re going through March Madness the same way,” he said.

More or less. Greek basketball makes the Final Four look like church.

“Way crazier. It’s not even close,” Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said after a trip to Greece. “It’s like literally a smoke-filled crazyhouse.”

Rick Pitino chats with his players during a game against Anadolu Efes.

pit.jpg

Games at the crazyhouse tip off a 9 p.m., which in Greece qualifies as pre-dinner entertainment. But the arena fills up long before then with fans who bounce and chant and hurl insults at their nemesis GAY-ROS—even when Olympiakos is nowhere near the building. (When Olympiakos does visit, the club has to install nets around the court to stop fans throwing things at the players.)

The club’s ultras, known as Gate 13, lead the party of 10,000 blue-collar season-ticket holders from a cloud of cigarette smoke in the corner of the arena. During a recent game against Real Madrid, they waited all of 31 seconds to light their first flare in the stands. No one stopped them.

“These people, they sacrifice to come to these games,” Pitino said. “This is not like Jack Nicholson in the Laker front row.”

They followed it with their favorite song, “Horto Magiko,” which refers to the shamrock on the Panathinaikos crest as a “magic leaf” that fans are addicted to and cannot be matched by heroin or LSD.

The NCAA would likely take a dim view if Louisville fans starting chanting the same. Then again, the NCAA already takes a dim view of Pitino. If it didn’t, he wouldn’t be here. How he wound up in Athens is a story that began during the worst period of Pitino’s professional life.

In October 2017, he was fired by Louisville following allegations that the program funneled cash from a sportswear company to the families of potential recruits. Earlier in the year, the NCAA had also vacated Pitino’s 2013 national championship with Louisville because an assistant coach had paid for “adult entertainment and/or sex acts” for team prospects and players.

In both cases, Pitino denied knowledge of his assistants’ actions. “When people say, you hired the wrong people and you have to take accountability, I do,” he said. “That’s why I got fired.”

‘I’ve witnessed things I’ve never witnessed in my lifetime here,’ Rick Pitino said.

Pitino spent much of the following year honing a golf game that wouldn’t improve. He launched a Twitter account. He started a podcast. He watched basketball on television and second-guessed coaches.

That’s when he heard from Memphis Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace with a bizarre job offer. It wasn’t in the NBA or at a big-time college or even a small-time college. It was at something called Panathinaikos, which, to Pitino, might as well have been the name of a New York diner. He’d never paid attention to EuroLeague basketball and had no idea where the club was.

“As passionate as you think Kentucky was,” Wallace told him, “multiply that by 10 and you’ve got Panathinaikos.”

Pitino was intrigued. He was also bored out of his mind. He accepted the Panathinaikos gig on Christmas Eve. By Christmas night, Pitino was in Athens, staying in a cheap hotel across the street from the city’s rusting Olympic Park.

Wearing a scarf to practice in Panathinaikos’ freezing gym all winter, Pitino quickly saw what was wrong: the defense had to be overhauled immediately. Except, the offense was also bad. Pitino changed that after a week.

Rick Pitino accepted the Panathinaikos gig on Christmas Eve.

In the States, Pitino would arrive for work at 6:30 a.m. and leave some 12 hours later. Here, the only times Pitino has seen 6:30 a.m. have been when he stayed up all night watching college basketball—especially Minnesota, where his son coaches. On those days, he schedules practice at 5 p.m.

The Greek language befuddles him—“The alphabet’s impossible,” he said. “Three different I’s.” But the one thing that made sense was what happened on the court. Half a world away from March Madness, in the smoke-filled crazyhouse, in a language he would never speak, something about Panathinaikos and its late-season push for tournament basketball felt oddly familiar. Pitino paused for a moment before putting his finger on it.

“The EuroLeague,” he said, “is college basketball with 30-year-old adults.”

Write to Joshua Robinson at joshua.robinson@wsj.com
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/far-awa...ss-11554724644
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast