2019 FIBA World Cup Draw [Shenzhen, China, Mar 16]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by usagre View Post
    I am not buying the African teams. That was 7 years ago and then in the actual Olympics they were not good.
    The problem might be that Greek shooters don’t exist to surround him with.
    It's not about buying them as good but be honest, if an African team is going to pull off an upset which team are you picking? It's Nigeria.

Comment

I am not buying the African teams. That was 7 years ago and then in the actual Olympics they were not good.
      The problem might be that Greek shooters don’t exist to surround him with.
      To be fair to Nigeria they also beat Croatia in the 2016 Olympics.

Now that's not to say Canada should be worried about them, Nigeria does much better against lesser athletic squads, but they're still probably the worst opponent to face from Africa.
      Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
        To be fair to Nigeria they also beat Croatia in the 2016 Olympics.

Now that's not to say Canada should be worried about them, Nigeria does much better against lesser athletic squads, but they're still probably the worst opponent to face from Africa.
        I think it might be a toss up with them and Angola. But like you said honestly I wouldn’t be worried about any of them.
        Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

As a Lithuania's fan, I probably would like to go this way:

Russia, Brazil, Australia, Italy - Italy or Brazil. I'm afraid Shved would drop 40pts against us so no Russia please, Australia is tough, talented and has good guards so a nightmare match-up, I would go with Brazil, Italy is second best option.

Canada, Montenegro, Philippines, Korea - either Philippines or Korea obviously. Would go with the latter.

Nigeria, Senegal, New Zealand, Angola - No Nigeria please, we needed to give a lot to beat them in Olympics, imagine if they would also had Giannis. Senegal has one NBA player, New Zealand might have Steve Adams and some other quality players, so I would go with Angola, even if I have tough memories from 00's.

I don't see a lot of problems with these drawings. We'll have one really strong opponent and we better do, because going to the knock out stage without such game would be a bad thing to happen. Even if we will end up with Australia, Canada, Nigeria we should absolutely go for all wins and I don't see us falling out from 2 best spots. However, I have a feeling will get rather comfortable opponents.

PS: Very quickly switching Angola with Senegal
          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
          Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Obviously China is a poor #1 seed but in my opinion, Argentina is weak, Greece without Giannis (a serious possibility) is weak, and Lithuania is a serious cut below France, Spain, Serbia and the USA. So if teams like Canada and Australia(if they are not grouped together) send their best possible players they are de facto #1 seed quality teams.

Comment

I think they decided to drop in seeding the worst ranked team they could while keeping their geographical principles in order. If they did that it would drop Venezuela from a #4 to a #5. With Canada it was a #5 to a #6. That’s the only thing I can come up with.

That is correct - It was confirmed by FIBA. Canada was bumped instead of another Americas team is that they do the pots from the top down, so the first Americas conflict didn't come up until they reached Canada. Basically they just went in order until there was a conflict, then adjusted from there downward. I figured it would be wiser to do something about competitive balance rather than stick to a formula. But here we are.

Anyone know if Australia - NZ are considered Oceania for the the draw purpose or are they Asia and can not be placed with KOR/PHI from our Pot (thus giving AUS a 50/50 shot at CAN/MRE)?

Comment

I don’t know how it will play out but for me if you’re gonna elevate China to one of the top 8 seeds then at least they should have been number 8 and in Pot 2 not pot one. Serbia should have been in Pot 1.

Comment

Greece without Giannis (a serious possibility) is weak
                  Too strong words. Way too strong Greece beat Lithuania without Giannis in Eurobasket 2017. Lithuania had some key absences as Sabonis, Lekavicius, Seibutis, but Greece still has elite backourt with Calathes and Sloukas. This due is ahead in terms of IQ, FIBA experience and overall quality than most teams starting guards including Canada. Some veterans already washing out, but they are still a good team even without Giannis.

Lithuania is a serious cut below France, Spain, Serbia and the USA
                  Depends what you call serious. If we will pack our best possible line-up it might be the best team since a while. We manhandled fully packed Serbia in 2015 EB semis with much less talented roster. This doesn't happen every time obviously, but Lithuania will be notably stronger than it was in 2016,2017, f.e. So correct, but slippery statement.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post

Anyone know if Australia - NZ are considered Oceania for the the draw purpose or are they Asia and can not be placed with KOR/PHI from our Pot (thus giving AUS a 50/50 shot at CAN/MRE)?
                    Considered part of Asia, the youtube video they had explicitly stated that KOR/PHI can't be in the same group as Australia.
                    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

@ Straight Forward. Fiba experience isn’t as important as it was years ago. Nba game and Fiba closest in style that it has ever been. Give me the talent and athleticism of a Jamal Murray/ Corey Joseph duo over Sloukas/ Calathes any day of the week and twice on Sunday. And if Giannis doesn’t show and the Canadian stars do, there is a huge disparity in the wings and bigs of the two teams in Canada’s favor.

Lithuanian backcourt worries me. It has been weak in other tournaments and overcome to a degree by Lithuania but with increased importance of guards and wings and decreased importance of bigs I think this hurts Lithuania immensely.

I’ll be honest what worries me the most about Canada is not their roster composition but their coach. It seems like he has a lifetime job.

Comment

@ Straight Forward. Fiba experience isn’t as important as it was years ago. Nba game and Fiba closest in style that it has ever been. Give me the talent and athleticism of a Jamal Murray/ Corey Joseph duo over Sloukas/ Calathes any day of the week and twice on Sunday. And if Giannis doesn’t show and the Canadian stars do, there is a huge disparity in the wings and bigs of the two teams in Canada’s favor.

I’ll be honest what worries me the most about Canada is not their roster composition but their coach. It seems like he has a lifetime job.
                        Short of injury or winning the Championship(even then) he's probably showing up. He's said as much.
                        Canada is banking on it's NBA talent showing up as well and frankly it's just as much in the air. We won't really start to get an idea of who is likely to do what until the playoffs are set. And that goes for any team that relies heavily on NBA talent not the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                          Greece still has elite backourt with Calathes and Sloukas. This due is ahead in terms of IQ, FIBA experience and overall quality than most teams starting guards including Canada.
                          Calathes and Sloukas is a better back court than Cory Joseph and Jamal Murray? There are 30 NBA GMs that would disagree with that. I know FIBA is a different game...but not that different.

Comment

Really stupid draw but it's just a FIBA.

Comment

The coach is actually undecided and up in the air.
                              Rowan Barrett (RJ's dad) was recently promoted to GM from Asst. GM and Steve Nash officially stepped aside. Nash really never did anything in the last 4-5 years except keep Jay Triano's job secure. Rowan has come out and said first order of business is to select a new coach. This late I doubt they go outside the system (but said they would consider it) so it will likely be Roy Rana who has led the team through the qualifiers and won the u19 Gold. Maybe Dave Smart is the other viable candidate (current asst. and Carlton head coach).It could still be Triano , but I am doubtful and think his time is done with Nash's departure (good riddance)
                              Things are changing with Canada Basketball for the better.

Comment

Why it isn't important any more aside the most obvious fact that NBA leaned to shoot threes and that's latest trend? The court is tighter. There's no three second defensive rule in FIBA, so you can bight your opponent and never let it go. I understand perspective, to you Joseph is a quality role NBA player (and I like him more between these 2) and Murray is a good scorer for one of the best teams in NBA. But from my perspective, we speak about Euroleague's ELITE. Calatches is the most gifted passer in Europe right now maybe along with Teodosic, but the first is better now, IMO. Sloukas is a great scorer who is surely way better passer than say Murray who won't dropping midrange jumpers or threes as comfortable as in NBA. To me it's really close, but I would go with elite Euroleage's players at this point. As for other positions, Greece is not deep and maybe not even talented enough here and there, I agree on this, but I also not sold on Canada as packed and ready project to contend just looking at names. Let's wait for their first real test first and see if they are ready.

Lithuanian backcourt worries me. It has been weak in other tournaments and overcome to a degree by Lithuania but with increased importance of guards and wings and decreased importance of bigs I think this hurts Lithuania immensely.
                                I understand you. Looking from oversees it's a land of no names and even the deserts, but the situation is on sharp improvement mode. You have to be very familiar with EL to notice that though. FOA, our best guards of 10's Kalnietis and Seibutis hasn't declined much if any (now they are not best, they are veterans). Both are playing well at the solid level in Europe. Second, Lekavicius had a brake out season with Zalgiris few seasons ago under Jasikevicius (borderline playoffs team) and now is a role player PAO. We missed him badly both in 2016 and specially 2017. And most importantly, Marius Grigonis is prevailing as one of the key players in Zalgiris (again, bordeline PO team this season). He brings hustle, scoring, creativity. Not to mention that we might use athletic wing Giedraitis at 2 who is lighting up Eurocup with one of top teams this season. If we will have that, it will be tremendous improvement compared to 2017, both offensively and defensively (especially). Not an elite backourt, yes, but better than you probably think. We won't be us vulnerable against good backourts because Lekavicius, Seibutis and Grigonis brings an A defensive effort. Our positions three-five are elite, IMO.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information