Group A: CIV, POL, VEN, CHN.
    Group B: RUS, ARG, KOR, NGR.
    Group C: ESP, IRI, PUR, TUN.
    Group D: ANG, PHI, ITA, SRB.
    Group E: TUR, CZE, USA, JPN.
    Group F: GRE, NZL, BRA, MNE.
    Group G: DOM, FRA, GER, JOR.
    Group H: CAN, SEN, LTU, AUS.
    Last edited by Kings; 03-18-2019, 10:08 AM.

Pots 2-4 have not been assigned yet. You created them using the Fiba rankings but Fiba hasn't officially stated that it will work that way.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
      Pots 2-4 have not been assigned yet. You created them using the Fiba rankings but Fiba hasn't officially stated that it will work that way.
      It's weird they haven't made the pots public yet given the Draw's so close. I suppose it will be part of a likely bloated ceremony just prior to it.
      Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
        It's weird they haven't made the pots public yet given the Draw's so close. I suppose it will be part of a likely bloated ceremony just prior to it.
        I think they usually do it the day before the actual draw. So tomorrow I am guessing. They’ll probably use the above pots and just adjust it using their geographical principles. 1 Americas team per group, no group with more than 2 European teams, 1 Asian team per group are some probable examples.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
          I think they usually do it the day before the actual draw. So tomorrow I am guessing. They’ll probably use the above pots and just adjust it using their geographical principles. 1 Americas team per group, no group with more than 2 European teams, 1 Asian team per group are some probable examples.
          It will be interesting - relying on how you describe it above leads to a high probably of some real pool imbalance. There are going to be some crap pools and a high chance of a Australia-Canada and one of Serbia/Spain/France/Lithuania/Greece pool. Can't wait to see the crying when that happens (I'll be one of the loudest). Germany as a Pot 3 could create an ugly pool as well, but a little less likely due to region balancing. Seeing Canada and Australia as the "2" and "3" in the same pool is likely the worst possible scenario and I hope that is avoided but it seems like a 1 in 3 chance of happening if they follow this path.

Also consider that the top two first round pools combine to get second round pools the layout of A/B, C/D, E/F, G/H pool matters tremendously as well. Would suck to see two "Death Pools" or "weak pools" combine into each other in the second round.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post

Also consider that the top two first round pools combine to get second round pools the layout of A/B, C/D, E/F, G/H pool matters tremendously as well. Would suck to see two "Death Pools" or "weak pools" combine into each other in the second round.
            I think they will take this into consideration and place the United States and Serbia/Spain on opposite sides. The problem is that if China as the host is considered the top overall seed then using this principle the United States and Serbia or Spain will be on the same side and China will be grouped with the other. That makes the Chinese side very weak. But then again no matter how you potentially break up a bracket history has shown us that teams manipulate it by tanking games in order to place themselves in a desired side of the bracket.

Comment

Pot 1 - The 4 teams (China, USA, Spain, France) will be assigned to Groups A, C, E and G. As agreed with the Local Organizing Committee (LOC), the Host China will be placed into Group A in Beijing and reigning world champions USA will be allocated to Group E in Shanghai;

Pot 2 - The 4 teams (Serbia, Argentina, Lithuania, Greece) will feed into Groups B, D, F and H, with a straight draw;

Pot 3 - The 4 teams (Russia, Australia, Brazil, Italy) will also feed into Groups B, D, F and H. Brazil cannot be drawn in the same group as Argentina;

Pot 4 - The 4 teams (Puerto Rico, Turkey, Dominican Republic, Venezuela) are drawn into Groups A, C, E and G. The 3 American teams - Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Venezuela - cannot be drawn in the same group as the USA;

Pot 5 - The 4 teams (Germany, Canada, Czech Republic, Poland) will be distributed into Groups A, C, E and G; Iran cannot be drawn in the same group as China;

Pot 6 - The 4 teams (Iran, Montenegro, Philippines, Korea) will feed into Groups B, D, F and H. Canada cannot be drawn in the same group as either Argentina or Brazil, while the Philippines and Korea cannot be placed in the group with Australia;

Pot 7 - The 4 teams (Nigeria, Senegal, New Zealand, Angola) feed into Groups B, D, F and H. New Zealand cannot be drawn in a group with other Asian teams;

Pot 8 - This will conclude the draw with the distribution of the last 4 teams (Japan, Jordan, Tunisia, Cote d'Ivoire) into the remaining groups. In this pot, Japan and Jordan cannot be drawn in the same group as either China or Iran.

Comment

Great job FIBA. In one group you might have some China, Venezuela, Poland, Jordan, in other Lithuania, Australia, Canada, Nigeria...

Comment

This is just incredible. Only FIBA can do this.
                  They have put all the best non-first pot teams in pots 3 and 6.
                  The biggest losers of the draw will be the most basketball-loving countries in Europe-Serbia, Lithuania and Greece. Two of these countries will get either Australia or even worse Canada in their preliminary group. There is even a chance for one of us to get both Australia and Canada in the group. This is insane. On the other half of the draw you will have groups like France, Venezuela, Poerto Rico and Jordan. Is it possible that FIBA is so stupid. And Canada should according to ranking be in pot 5 but they have put them without any reason in pot 6. This is so unfair. I will feel sorry for the team in pot 1 that gets Australia or Canada. I feel it is gonna be Serbia. I cannot eait the day when FIBA will lose jurisdiction of organizing these events.

Comment

Originally posted by zemljakosarke View Post
                    And Canada should according to ranking be in pot 5 but they have put them without any reason in pot 6.
                    They explained it on youtube that they did so due to geographical reasons, so they switched Canada with Iran. Ok, in theory something was needed to be done to follow geographical criterias, not to have 2 Americas teams in one group. But practically that alone is so stupid to do. There were a ways to make it way more wiser, but instead they did it in FIBA way

Comment

Originally posted by Kings View Post
                      Pot 1 - The 4 teams (China, USA, Spain, France) will be assigned to Groups A, C, E and G. As agreed with the Local Organizing Committee (LOC), the Host China will be placed into Group A in Beijing and reigning world champions USA will be allocated to Group E in Shanghai;

Pot 4 - The 4 teams (Puerto Rico, Turkey, Dominican Republic, Venezuela) are drawn into Groups A, C, E and G. The 3 American teams - Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Venezuela - cannot be drawn in the same group as the USA;
                      Alright, then it's settled that Turkey will be in Group E in Shanghai with the USA. A major upset is coming!
                      5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                        Great job FIBA. In one group you might have some China, Venezuela, Poland, Jordan, in other Lithuania, Australia, Canada, Nigeria...
                        the difference between upper & lower brackets is indeed ridiculous:

Pot1-Pot4-Pot5-Pot8 - 0.75 strong team + 0.5 ok team + 0.5 ok team + 1 blow out candidate
                        Pot2-Pot3-Pot6-Pot7 - 1 strong team + 1 strong team + 0.5 ok team + 0.5 ok team
                        5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Wait if we have to be with US and no draw is necessary why they didnt do a similar change to what they did to Canada? What is our fault that we have to play US all the time in groups? At least give us Iran from the next pot.

Comment

Originally posted by okanial View Post
                            Wait if we have to be with US and no draw is necessary why they didnt do a similar change to what they did to Canada? What is our fault that we have to play US all the time in groups? At least give us Iran from the next pot.
                            The more I think about it the more it looks like it's all have been done o make Chinese group easier. And I'm not follower of any conspiracy theories, but at first making an exception and putting into 1st seed, smth didn't happen with other hosts, then this crazy seeding...

Regarding Iran, you'll have 33% of getting it as group consisting of China/American team/ won't be able to have another Asian one

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                              The more I think about it the more it looks like it's all have been done o make Chinese group easier. And I'm not follower of any conspiracy theories, but at first making an exception and putting into 1st seed, smth didn't happen with other hosts, then this crazy seeding...

Regarding Iran, you'll have 33% of getting it as group consisting of China/American team/ won't be able to have another Asian one
                              Yeah I figured that but a group with US-Turkey-Germany or Czech republic is pretty much death group. Im cool with Poland but really hoping for Iran. Like I said I dont think it would be too hard to swap one of the american teams from pot 4 with another team from 3 like Italy and Russia.

Even though we lost to US last World Cup again in the groups stage Im very proud of how we played that game, we lead for 3 quarters which is something no other team did. But still it is a guaranteed loss for almost any team and we shouldnt have that every tournament

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information