Group A: CIV, POL, VEN, CHN.
    Group B: RUS, ARG, KOR, NGR.
    Group C: ESP, IRI, PUR, TUN.
    Group D: ANG, PHI, ITA, SRB.
    Group E: TUR, CZE, USA, JPN.
    Group F: GRE, NZL, BRA, MNE.
    Group G: DOM, FRA, GER, JOR.
    Group H: CAN, SEN, LTU, AUS.
    Last edited by Kings; 03-18-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Pots 2-4 have not been assigned yet. You created them using the Fiba rankings but Fiba hasn't officially stated that it will work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Pots 2-4 have not been assigned yet. You created them using the Fiba rankings but Fiba hasn't officially stated that it will work that way.
    It's weird they haven't made the pots public yet given the Draw's so close. I suppose it will be part of a likely bloated ceremony just prior to it.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    It's weird they haven't made the pots public yet given the Draw's so close. I suppose it will be part of a likely bloated ceremony just prior to it.
    I think they usually do it the day before the actual draw. So tomorrow I am guessing. They’ll probably use the above pots and just adjust it using their geographical principles. 1 Americas team per group, no group with more than 2 European teams, 1 Asian team per group are some probable examples.

I think they usually do it the day before the actual draw. So tomorrow I am guessing. They’ll probably use the above pots and just adjust it using their geographical principles. 1 Americas team per group, no group with more than 2 European teams, 1 Asian team per group are some probable examples.
    It will be interesting - relying on how you describe it above leads to a high probably of some real pool imbalance. There are going to be some crap pools and a high chance of a Australia-Canada and one of Serbia/Spain/France/Lithuania/Greece pool. Can't wait to see the crying when that happens (I'll be one of the loudest). Germany as a Pot 3 could create an ugly pool as well, but a little less likely due to region balancing. Seeing Canada and Australia as the "2" and "3" in the same pool is likely the worst possible scenario and I hope that is avoided but it seems like a 1 in 3 chance of happening if they follow this path.

Also consider that the top two first round pools combine to get second round pools the layout of A/B, C/D, E/F, G/H pool matters tremendously as well. Would suck to see two "Death Pools" or "weak pools" combine into each other in the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post

Also consider that the top two first round pools combine to get second round pools the layout of A/B, C/D, E/F, G/H pool matters tremendously as well. Would suck to see two "Death Pools" or "weak pools" combine into each other in the second round.
    I think they will take this into consideration and place the United States and Serbia/Spain on opposite sides. The problem is that if China as the host is considered the top overall seed then using this principle the United States and Serbia or Spain will be on the same side and China will be grouped with the other. That makes the Chinese side very weak. But then again no matter how you potentially break up a bracket history has shown us that teams manipulate it by tanking games in order to place themselves in a desired side of the bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    I just realized that we are also on a possibility to be grouped with Serbia, Greece, Canada, Italy, Argentina, Russia, Brazil or Lithuania. Darn it. I like the other side better. Aside from USA, Spain, and France, i think the Philippines has a better to qualify there.
    Canada not

in pot 2 all team

in pot 3 team Russia,Italy or Brazil

in pot 7 Nigeria,Senegal,Angola

Big oof for canada.

Fiba wants to talk about how great this 2 year qualifiying period was than why don’t they put their money where their mouths is and use it as the sole determining factor in seeding ? Stop talking about how great it was when the majority of players that participated are not going to be on the rosters this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    Big oof for canada.
    Sure depending on the groups some will be easier than others but in all probabilities you’re asking them to win one game against one quality opponent (Australia, Russia or Italy) in order to advance. That’s not really asking a lot. If you can’t do that I can’t really sympathize.

Big oof for canada.
    Sort of expected right?
    The insult to injury was to be dropped to Pot 6 when some other scenarios were possible (or were they?).

So Serbia, Lithuania or Greece? I suppose Greece would be the preferred match-up, even with Giannis based on their pasted struggles integrating him (he is a different player now).

Australia, Russia, Italy? No thanks to Australia - that would be a kick in the nuts if they put Canada and Australia together. Would do you guys think is weaker between Italy and Russia (I guess it depends on who plays)?

Senegal, Nigeria, Tunisia, NZ - who do you think is the weakest one there? We handled NZ and Senegal at the Olympic Qualifiers fairly well (but no Dieng for Senegal). Dont know much about Tunisia or current day Nigeria.

I always wonder how much corruption is involved in this process. We know much of the world works on bribes, kick-backs, back scratching etc. Certain regions of the world that is just a way of life - FIBA and FIFA operate in that world. As much as it shocks American or Western Europeans, it is normal business for the Middle East, Africa, some parts of Asia and Eastern/Southern Europe. China is clearly on the receiving end of some favorable decisions here and they probably paid up for it in some manner (maybe just being the host is enough to make sure this is a financial success). We know FIBA has a long history of extracting payments or concessions from countries (selling Wild Cards) so it is probably happening to some degree here. Even if payments are not involved there is always the thought of the likelyhood of future payments or "favors" from countries..
    Canada, NZ, Australia, USA and Western and Northern Europe are the least corrupt areas in the world and very likely will provide no payments or very little meaningful "favors" to FIBA.

So I won't really be surprised to see a Lithuania, Australia, Canada, NZ pool as Russia and the African nations offer up consideration for a more favorable draw. None of us know for sure - but it is always in the background and probably impacts these sorts of things more than we know.

The good news is that if you hail from a more corrupt country you have hope for a more favorable draw!
    Last edited by mojo13; 03-15-2019 at 03:58 PM.

@mojo13. They were a slave to those rankings. So once we understand that there was no other way. Canada had to be swapped with Iran in order to keep the geographical principles in order. If you move them to pot 5 then they can only be grouped with Turkey from group 4 who can only be grouped with the USA which kills that because of 2 Americas teams together.

@mojo13. They were a slave to those rankings. So once we understand that there was no other way. Canada had to be swapped with Iran in order to keep the geographical principles in order. If you move them to pot 5 then they can only be grouped with Turkey from group 4 who can only be grouped with the USA which kills that because of 2 Americas teams together.
    What about keeping Canada in Pot 5 - moving Germany to 4 swapping with DR, VEN or PR? Didn't that work?

Sort of expected right?
    The insult to injury was to be dropped to Pot 6 when some other scenarios were possible (or were they?).

So Serbia, Lithuania or Greece? I suppose Greece would be the preferred match-up, even with Giannis based on their pasted struggles integrating him (he is a different player now).

Australia, Russia, Italy? No thanks to Australia - that would be a kick in the nuts if they put Canada and Australia together. Would do you guys think is weaker between Italy and Russia (I guess it depends on who plays)?

Senegal, Nigeria, Tunisia, NZ - who do you think is the weakest one there? We handled NZ and Senegal at the Olympic Qualifiers fairly well (but no Dieng for Senegal). Dont know much about Tunisia or current day Nigeria.
    Best Case for Canada I believe would be
    Greece (really you're going to get stuck facing a good team regardless, but of the three Greece is the least proven)
    Russia (assuming Italy brings their best)
    Senegal (Worst of the four available, but beyond maybe New Zealand none of them should pose a big threat)

Worst Case
    Serbia
    Australia
    Nigeria (as New Zealand can't be drawn with Aus)
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

As a Lithuania's fan, I probably would like to go this way:

Russia, Brazil, Australia, Italy - Italy or Brazil. I'm afraid Shved would drop 40pts against us so no Russia please, Australia is tough, talented and has good guards so a nightmare match-up, I would go with Brazil, Italy is second best option.

Canada, Montenegro, Philippines, Korea - either Philippines or Korea obviously. Would go with the latter.

Nigeria, Senegal, New Zealand, Angola - No Nigeria please, we needed to give a lot to beat them in Olympics, imagine if they would also had Giannis. Senegal has one NBA player, New Zealand might have Steve Adams and some other quality players, so I would go with Angola, even if I have tough memories from 00's.

I don't see a lot of problems with these drawings. We'll have one really strong opponent and we better do, because going to the knock out stage without such game would be a bad thing to happen. Even if we will end up with Australia, Canada, Nigeria we should absolutely go for all wins and I don't see us falling out from 2 best spots. However, I have a feeling will get rather comfortable opponents.

PS: Very quickly switching Angola with Senegal
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Sort of expected right?

I always wonder how much corruption is involved in this process. We know much of the world works on bribes, kick-backs, back scratching etc. Certain regions of the world that is just a way of life - FIBA and FIFA operate in that world. As much as it shocks American or Western Europeans, it is normal business for the Middle East, Africa, some parts of Asia and Eastern/Southern Europe. China is clearly on the receiving end of some favorable decisions here and they probably paid up for it in some manner (maybe just being the host is enough to make sure this is a financial success). We know FIBA has a long history of extracting payments or concessions from countries (selling Wild Cards) so it is probably happening to some degree here. Even if payments are not involved there is always the thought of the likelyhood of future payments or "favors" from countries..
    Canada, NZ, Australia, USA and Western and Northern Europe are the least corrupt areas in the world and very likely will provide no payments or very little meaningful "favors" to FIBA.

So I won't really be surprised to see a Lithuania, Australia, Canada, NZ pool as Russia and the African nations offer up consideration for a more favorable draw. None of us know for sure - but it is always in the background and probably impacts these sorts of things more than we know.

The good news is that if you hail from a more corrupt country you have hope for a more favorable draw!
    Nigeria is the last African team I'd want to play if I was Canada. They're probably the best African team ever when at full strength. This is the team that had to beat both Lithuania and Greece to make the Olympics in 2012.
    If Greece learns the lesson from the Bucks this year and surround him with shooters he'll be hard to stop for a lot of teams.

Nigeria is the last African team I'd want to play if I was Canada. They're probably the best African team ever when at full strength. This is the team that had to beat both Lithuania and Greece to make the Olympics in 2012.
    If Greece learns the lesson from the Bucks this year and surround him with shooters he'll be hard to stop for a lot of teams.

I am not buying the African teams. That was 7 years ago and then in the actual Olympics they were not good.
    The problem might be that Greek shooters don’t exist to surround him with.

Obviously China is a poor #1 seed but in my opinion, Argentina is weak, Greece without Giannis (a serious possibility) is weak, and Lithuania is a serious cut below France, Spain, Serbia and the USA. So if teams like Canada and Australia(if they are not grouped together) send their best possible players they are de facto #1 seed quality teams.
    Well, Argentina is not what they used to be, but they are not weak. Old Scola still has a good level, Campazzo is one of the best PG in the Euroleague, Laprovittola is at the moment ACB's MVP, or Deck, who is playing valuable time at RM. Not Ginobili, Nocioni, Herrmann or Oberto, but still a QF team for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chacho View Post
    Well, Argentina is not what they used to be, but they are not weak. Old Scola still has a good level, Campazzo is one of the best PG in the Euroleague, Laprovittola is at the moment ACB's MVP, or Deck, who is playing valuable time at RM. Not Ginobili, Nocioni, Herrmann or Oberto, but still a QF team for me.
    Yeah they have some good players but I was comparing them to the other top seeds Serbia, Spain, France and USA. And I think in comparison they are weak.

there seems to be pages and pages of discussion from yesterday missing on multiple World Cup threads (at least from my perspective).

Is this a normal thing here? Why would all that lively discussion and good content be removed? It this site run by FIBA?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast