No announcement yet.

2019 FIBA World Cup Draw [Shenzhen, China, Mar 16]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video with graphics involved for those interested.

So we basically know the group US is in based on all these rules. What a mess some of these teams are going to get screwed over.
    Last edited by Dtown; 03-15-2019, 02:55 PM.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

I just realized that we are also on a possibility to be grouped with Serbia, Greece, Canada, Italy, Argentina, Russia, Brazil or Lithuania. Darn it. I like the other side better. Aside from USA, Spain, and France, i think the Philippines has a better to qualify there.
      Attack
      defend
      Unite

Comment

Originally posted by ja.he View Post
        I just realized that we are also on a possibility to be grouped with Serbia, Greece, Canada, Italy, Argentina, Russia, Brazil or Lithuania. Darn it. I like the other side better. Aside from USA, Spain, and France, i think the Philippines has a better to qualify there.
        Canada not

in pot 2 all team

in pot 3 team Russia,Italy or Brazil

in pot 7 Nigeria,Senegal,Angola

Comment

Big oof for canada.

Comment

Originally posted by okanial View Post

Even though we lost to US last World Cup again in the groups stage Im very proud of how we played that game, we lead for 3 quarters which is something no other team did. But still it is a guaranteed loss for almost any team and we shouldnt have that every tournament
            USA was actually +6 after 3 quarters but you are correct that it was its toughest game and Turkey was very impressive.
            Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Fiba wants to talk about how great this 2 year qualifiying period was than why don’t they put their money where their mouths is and use it as the sole determining factor in seeding ? Stop talking about how great it was when the majority of players that participated are not going to be on the rosters this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
                Big oof for canada.
                Sure depending on the groups some will be easier than others but in all probabilities you’re asking them to win one game against one quality opponent (Australia, Russia or Italy) in order to advance. That’s not really asking a lot. If you can’t do that I can’t really sympathize.

Comment

Big oof for canada.
                  Sort of expected right?
                  The insult to injury was to be dropped to Pot 6 when some other scenarios were possible (or were they?).

So Serbia, Lithuania or Greece? I suppose Greece would be the preferred match-up, even with Giannis based on their pasted struggles integrating him (he is a different player now).

Australia, Russia, Italy? No thanks to Australia - that would be a kick in the nuts if they put Canada and Australia together. Would do you guys think is weaker between Italy and Russia (I guess it depends on who plays)?

Senegal, Nigeria, Tunisia, NZ - who do you think is the weakest one there? We handled NZ and Senegal at the Olympic Qualifiers fairly well (but no Dieng for Senegal). Dont know much about Tunisia or current day Nigeria.

I always wonder how much corruption is involved in this process. We know much of the world works on bribes, kick-backs, back scratching etc. Certain regions of the world that is just a way of life - FIBA and FIFA operate in that world. As much as it shocks American or Western Europeans, it is normal business for the Middle East, Africa, some parts of Asia and Eastern/Southern Europe. China is clearly on the receiving end of some favorable decisions here and they probably paid up for it in some manner (maybe just being the host is enough to make sure this is a financial success). We know FIBA has a long history of extracting payments or concessions from countries (selling Wild Cards) so it is probably happening to some degree here. Even if payments are not involved there is always the thought of the likelyhood of future payments or "favors" from countries..
                  Canada, NZ, Australia, USA and Western and Northern Europe are the least corrupt areas in the world and very likely will provide no payments or very little meaningful "favors" to FIBA.

So I won't really be surprised to see a Lithuania, Australia, Canada, NZ pool as Russia and the African nations offer up consideration for a more favorable draw. None of us know for sure - but it is always in the background and probably impacts these sorts of things more than we know.

The good news is that if you hail from a more corrupt country you have hope for a more favorable draw!
                  Last edited by mojo13; 03-15-2019, 03:58 PM.

Comment

@mojo13. They were a slave to those rankings. So once we understand that there was no other way. Canada had to be swapped with Iran in order to keep the geographical principles in order. If you move them to pot 5 then they can only be grouped with Turkey from group 4 who can only be grouped with the USA which kills that because of 2 Americas teams together.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                      Sort of expected right?
                      The insult to injury was to be dropped to Pot 6 when some other scenarios were possible (or were they?).

So Serbia, Lithuania or Greece? I suppose Greece would be the preferred match-up, even with Giannis based on their pasted struggles integrating him (he is a different player now).

Australia, Russia, Italy? No thanks to Australia - that would be a kick in the nuts if they put Canada and Australia together. Would do you guys think is weaker between Italy and Russia (I guess it depends on who plays)?

Senegal, Nigeria, Tunisia, NZ - who do you think is the weakest one there? We handled NZ and Senegal at the Olympic Qualifiers fairly well (but no Dieng for Senegal). Dont know much about Tunisia or current day Nigeria.
                      Best Case for Canada I believe would be
                      Greece (really you're going to get stuck facing a good team regardless, but of the three Greece is the least proven)
                      Russia (assuming Italy brings their best)
                      Senegal (Worst of the four available, but beyond maybe New Zealand none of them should pose a big threat)

Worst Case
                      Serbia
                      Australia
                      Nigeria (as New Zealand can't be drawn with Aus)
                      Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
                        @mojo13. They were a slave to those rankings. So once we understand that there was no other way. Canada had to be swapped with Iran in order to keep the geographical principles in order. If you move them to pot 5 then they can only be grouped with Turkey from group 4 who can only be grouped with the USA which kills that because of 2 Americas teams together.
                        What about keeping Canada in Pot 5 - moving Germany to 4 swapping with DR, VEN or PR? Didn't that work?

Comment

Sort of expected right?

I always wonder how much corruption is involved in this process. We know much of the world works on bribes, kick-backs, back scratching etc. Certain regions of the world that is just a way of life - FIBA and FIFA operate in that world. As much as it shocks American or Western Europeans, it is normal business for the Middle East, Africa, some parts of Asia and Eastern/Southern Europe. China is clearly on the receiving end of some favorable decisions here and they probably paid up for it in some manner (maybe just being the host is enough to make sure this is a financial success). We know FIBA has a long history of extracting payments or concessions from countries (selling Wild Cards) so it is probably happening to some degree here. Even if payments are not involved there is always the thought of the likelyhood of future payments or "favors" from countries..
                          Canada, NZ, Australia, USA and Western and Northern Europe are the least corrupt areas in the world and very likely will provide no payments or very little meaningful "favors" to FIBA.

So I won't really be surprised to see a Lithuania, Australia, Canada, NZ pool as Russia and the African nations offer up consideration for a more favorable draw. None of us know for sure - but it is always in the background and probably impacts these sorts of things more than we know.

The good news is that if you hail from a more corrupt country you have hope for a more favorable draw!
                          Nigeria is the last African team I'd want to play if I was Canada. They're probably the best African team ever when at full strength. This is the team that had to beat both Lithuania and Greece to make the Olympics in 2012.
                          If Greece learns the lesson from the Bucks this year and surround him with shooters he'll be hard to stop for a lot of teams.

Comment

What about keeping Canada in Pot 5 - moving Germany to 4 swapping with DR, VEN or PR? Didn't that work?
                            isn't the easiest move just switching canada and Iran though?

Comment

I think they decided to drop in seeding the worst ranked team they could while keeping their geographical principles in order. If they did that it would drop Venezuela from a #4 to a #5. With Canada it was a #5 to a #6. That’s the only thing I can come up with.

Comment

Nigeria is the last African team I'd want to play if I was Canada. They're probably the best African team ever when at full strength. This is the team that had to beat both Lithuania and Greece to make the Olympics in 2012.
                                If Greece learns the lesson from the Bucks this year and surround him with shooters he'll be hard to stop for a lot of teams.

I am not buying the African teams. That was 7 years ago and then in the actual Olympics they were not good.
                                The problem might be that Greek shooters don’t exist to surround him with.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information