Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rhenz Abando Thread. The High flyer from UST.

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    marami because whenntheyre 16 this reed 6'4 guys might be typecast as lampa or di kaya makipag banggaaan sa loob..
    That's the problem with the Philippine game. There is an emphasis on physicality over skill and athleticism. As a result the "chubby/bulky" types get the attention over the thin and long types.

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    That's the problem with the Philippine game. There is an emphasis on physicality over skill and athleticism. As a result the "chubby/bulky" types get the attention over the thin and long types.
    Then if there's a young promising player (whose body hasn't fully developed yet) getting "outmuscled" by a 29-year old veteran professional player, fans would whine: "Ano ba namang batang player yan, minamama lang ng kalaban".

Basketball fans' mentality as its worst.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

"Its hard to play basketball if you're not bulky or chubby. You will easily get pushed & shoved around. So more extra rice pa, more soft drinks, more fastfoods!"

Bato-bato sa langit, ang tamaan wag magagalit
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

i think that would depend on what kind of position the lad plays.On another note, some referees in the Philippines favors a lot of contact on the court and some guys are not really built for such physicality.There are a lot of chubby guys that are not only Massive but also very physical on the way they play.Add up the blood thirsty refs, then it'll be an MMA match all game long.More likely the thinner less physical guys will have to quit eventually, that's if the are playing the post positions.If they are playing the wings, then the thinner usually most quicker guys can win on a toe to toe match up against an overweight baller.

Let's put it this way,Beu Belga type of body player will always win over a Jalen Green type of body player if they are both playing the center and power forward position.But if they are playing the wing position or the guard position, I think the Belga type body will eventually tire out and will not be as aero dynamic as the thinner player.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    i think that would depend on what kind of position the lad plays.On another note, some referees in the Philippines favors a lot of contact on the court and some guys are not really built for such physicality.There are a lot of chubby guys that are not only Massive but also very physical on the way they play.Add up the blood thirsty refs, then it'll be an MMA match all game long.More likely the thinner less physical guys will have to quit eventually, that's if the are playing the post positions.If they are playing the wings, then the thinner usually most quicker guys can win on a toe to toe match up against an overweight baller.
    If we look at the Korean, Lebanese, Jordanian, Japanese, Chinese National players, you would hardly see any chubby or overweight players. Even their centers & power forwards are not chubby or bloated. U won't see any Buea Belga or Ryan Buenafe in these National teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    If we look at the Korean, Lebanese, Jordanian, Japanese, Chinese National players, you would hardly see any chubby or overweight players. Even their centers & power forwards are not chubby or bloated. U won't see any Buea Belga or Ryan Buenafe in these National teams.
    oh sekeun (41), lee seunghyun (33) and lee jonghyun (32) of korea, han dejun and li gen of china are bulky players but not chubby or bloated. the closest filipino player i can compare with them in terms of body type is norbert torres. ganun.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post

Let's put it this way,Beu Belga type of body player will always win over a Jalen Green type of body player if they are both playing the center and power forward position.But if they are playing the wing position or the guard position, I think the Belga type body will eventually tire out and will not be as aero dynamic as the thinner player.
    Let's say you have two wing players matched up in the perimeter. A bulky and a bit chubby one and a taller but thin one with generally the same skills. If the players are allowed to use their hands and arms to impede the movement of each other then the shorter but bulkier and stronger one will win. I didn't get to watch it but somebody said this is how it was called in the San Beda vs Filam Sports game. But if the hands and arms are not allowed in defending then the taller but thinner will win. The NBA by the way does not allow arms and hands in defending the perimeter or drives.

Even in the PBA you can see Fajardo is allowed to semi hand check the driving guard. But internationally many times he gets called on fouls on this move. If how we play and our calls are not in sync with what is done internationally we will not encourage the fitness level that is required for this type of defense.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    "Its hard to play basketball if you're not bulky or chubby. You will easily get pushed & shoved around. So more extra rice pa, more soft drinks, more fastfoods!"

Bato-bato sa langit, ang tamaan wag magagalit
    How about the idiotic excuse of being used to playing fat? As if losing weight will make him lose his shooting touch or somehow make his already terrible D worse.

I remember the Calvin Abueva led Sthugs manhandling and bloodying the RLs on their way to the championship. The Red Lions adjusted by literally getting bigger and stronger the next season. Wa epek na cheap shots

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    oh sekeun (41), lee seunghyun (33) and lee jonghyun (32) of korea, han dejun and li gen of china are bulky players but not chubby or bloated. the closest filipino player i can compare with them in terms of body type is norbert torres. ganun.
    i agree.Li Gen for instance may be a bit heavy for his height, but he is no Beau Belga.The Koreans were always deceptively quick and loves playing at a very fast phase.The other Chinese Han might be tougher than Greggy boy but like Greg, he is not built for speed and quickness.I think the key here is to get thin but naturally quick players, then let then bulk up(add muscle mass) once they are on their early 20's(or maybe a bit younger).But if a player is slow even if he is underweight,it will be hard to train him to get quicker once he add up some weight.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12