Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhenz Abando Thread. The High flyer from UST.

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    Abando's got potential. Ayo's got a good eye for talent. First Cansino, now this guy. Next for Abando is to improve his handles and improve on his driving game. The guy's got international potential. We need more of these slim, body types to surface.
    That's another promising young swingmen. Too bad he got injured in his UAAP rookie season. Comparing Cansino & Abando, I think Abando is a bit more athletic & has a better 3-pt. shooting than Cansino.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    That's another promising young swingmen. Too bad he got injured in his UAAP rookie season. Comparing Cansino & Abando, I think Abando is a bit more athletic & has a better 3-pt. shooting than Cansino.
    Abando seems like the 2nd coming of Hontiveros, athletic guy with above average shooting (which can be improved to DonDon’s level)

Quote Originally Posted by carmelo7 View Post
    Abando seems like the 2nd coming of Hontiveros, athletic guy with above average shooting (which can be improved to DonDon’s level)
    Plus he works on the defensive end- another Hontiveros trait.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Abando's handles look better than you can expect from a 6-foot-4 homegrown talent. This to think that prior to this year, we haven't heard of this kid. He is really coming from nowhere.

For me key skills for a successful small forward are shooting & handles.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

For me the second coming of Kenneth Duremdes but more athletic than the Captain Marbel..

If I'm coach Charles tui, I will consider this boy in mighty sports team in Jones cup

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    For me the second coming of Kenneth Duremdes but more athletic than the Captain Marbel..
    Kenneth D was all skills and talent, he has that chubby physique... and didnt really bulked up but only few offensive dynamo that can run and facilitate an offense..If only he had worked on his physique, he wouldve had a longer career..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

If it's for the last spot in the seniors lineup, I'd prefer Abando ahead of Thirdy. I think we need more shooters than another athletic guy.

Quote Originally Posted by regierr View Post
    If it's for the last spot in the seniors lineup, I'd prefer Abando ahead of Thirdy. I think we need more shooters than another athletic guy.
    Thirdy is super athletic but with a suspect 3-pt. shooting. Abando on the other hand seems to have decent 3-pt. shooting, is also athletic & is taller than Thirdy.

Thirdy's edge over Abando is the fact that Thirdy has the more exposure to high level competition being a UAAP veteran player, had played in last year's Jones Cup & attended practices & even made it to the final line-up of Gilas senior National team last year (5th window of the FIBA World Cup qualifers).

Quote Originally Posted by regierr View Post
    If we need a shooter for the last spot, it wont be down to abando vs thirdy. We have wright, maliksi, trollano, etc with more tenure and international experience. Abando has a lot of potential as a prospect but some people here need to tone down their dick riding.

Dondon hontiveros did not have international experience before shining in his first international tournament in the AG. Also terrence romeo, mark caguioa, etc.

the guy can jump he had a highlight play in China being a recipient of an alley oop pass.I wish we have more 6'5+ guys that have the same skillset.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    the guy can jump he had a highlight play in China being a recipient of an alley oop pass.I wish we have more 6'5+ guys that have the same skillset.
    Umm Kobe?

Abando looks like he bulked up a little bit.

He looks bigger now compared to his Filoil days if you will. lol

Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Umm Kobe?
    probably a dozen of kobe sized players who have above average athleticism with 40% shooting from the 3 point arc,with very good handles and eligible players for the national team.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    probably a dozen of kobe sized players who have above average athleticism with 40% shooting from the 3 point arc,with very good handles and eligible players for the national team.
    ....and above average bbiq

he had the handles and the hoops just fine tuning of his outside shoots , he should be a future gilas prospect.

Is rhenz going to be a lock at SG for ayo? He is usually playing with Cansino who is a 3 and Paraiso who is also a 3. Both undersized tho. It would be good for his development and future gilas call ups. A homegrown 6’4 SG.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    Wow! That's really playing "above the rim" in a literal sense. Despite getting blocked my Abando, I'm still amazed that Maliksi can still jump that high despite enduring 2 ACL injuries in his career.

BTW, Rhenz Abando's middle name pala is Mamuyac. How is he related to Ateneo's Gian Mamuyac?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast