No announcement yet.

2019 Pre-World Cup friendlies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really have no complaints, the exhibition schedule for the US is absolutely solid. And over the course of the game a 9 point loss is actually flattering to Spain who was down 15 for long stretches of the game. If we can improve on the turnovers the next three games the US will be well positioned.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

• DeAaron Fox is going to be a big part of this team and he only played 6 minutes. Marcus Smart I think will also get a good amount of minutes when it counts. Plumlee got more minutes than both Turner and Lopez. That’s not going to happen.
      There’s a good chance he gets cut. I think Harrison Barnes does not bring a lot to the table. They already have enough shooting and all the other wings are all better than him.
      Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• Spain is not that deep. Back in the day they could go 10 deep talent wise with ease. This team is about their top 6 or 7 guys and some of them are really up there in age. They are good but unlike Serbia, and to a lot lesser degree Greece and France they don’t really worry me in a knockout game. They have a nice draw and will cruise to the semifinals where I think they will get eliminated.
        Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• Well, as I said Scariolo let the scrubs play and gave minutes to all 14 players. We lost because of a combination of jet lag, rims too hard, not being used to that particular brand of basketballs, and USA being the better team. They were knocking down threes when we didn't. Poor rebounding didn't help either. Anyway I was happy to see Rudy, Llull and even Ribas playing some good minutes. Our SG position may not be a dreadful void after all. Oriola didn't embarrass himself, either. Defence was better than I expected, and we played under control limiting turnovers and thus fastbreak opportunities for the american side.

All in all, not a bad workout. Now we will fly back home and rally against Dominican Republic before traveling to China one week before the start of the tournament. Our last two friendlies are against two potential QFs matchups: Argentina and Russia.

Comment

• From the highlights I was pretty impressed with Spain's ball movement. Gasol had a fantastic game, he won't shoot threes like that and will get gassed physically likely if they will play massively through him, but if Lull and Gasol will bring their A game Spain still pretty fun team as Rudy also still alive as a veteran. To me the biggest question is how much Juan Hernangómez can contribute. They need a stud at 4, but it seems he still will be shaky and up and down player. I'm not yet really convinced teams like Greece and France has an edge over Spain.

USA seems to be agile and mobile. Knocks down shots with comfort. Their main competitors Serbia would want to have a bit more stronger defensive team at 2-4. I really would like to see someone testing USA physically. This is not highly experienced team even if such players as Middleton and Lopez seen it all. I am wondering if this USA team can get shaky psychologically when faced tough and organised defence. But I don't really know that kind of team now, except maybe France.
            LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
            Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
            Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• this current US team looks to be playing the same style of high octane all court pressure basketball like all recent it's reincarnations, just with less talent all around. Meaning that only teams with elite ballhandlers and backcourt play will be able to challenge them, since they will be running and gunning non stop all the time. France, Serbia, Greece seem like the only real challengers to beat them anyway with their combination of stiffling defense, length and size to match up defensively

Comment

• I don't know where all this hype around France is coming from. How you seen their friendly games? Right now I think Germany is a stronger side. France has lost Heurtel and his PG situation is pretty bleak at the moment. Yesterday they played mighty old Brazil. Albicy and Ntkilina combined for 4 points and 3 assists. They played so poorly Collet was forced to switch ballhandling duties to De Colo for the majority of the game. Batum and Fournier didn't have a good game either (16 points on 18 shots), and the day was saved thanks to Gobert and Poirier trashing all Brazil's bigs. Behind the starting lineup of De Colo - Fournier - Batum - Moerman - Gobert there's very little depth. Only Poirier and maybe Toupane can be consistent contributors.

This evaluation is not based on one game. The other day they faced Montenegro and their guard play was awful as well. Do you know who Montenegro's starting PG is? Me neither, but did better than Albicy and Ntkilina. And all of France's bigs got their hands full with Vucevic and Dubljevic. Batum and Fournier saved the day by sinking 6 of 10 three-pointers. And of course they lost against Turkey.

So, first game of the tournament, won't be surprised if Germany gets the win.

Comment

• Originally posted by usagre View Post
                  Spain is not that deep. Back in the day they could go 10 deep talent wise with ease. This team is about their top 6 or 7 guys and some of them are really up there in age. They are good but unlike Serbia, and to a lot lesser degree Greece and France they don’t really worry me in a knockout game. They have a nice draw and will cruise to the semifinals where I think they will get eliminated.
                  Who stood out on both sides? Was there any defensive intensity, or just a shooting contest?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
                    I don't know where all this hype around France is coming from. How you seen their friendly games? Right now I think Germany is a stronger side. France has lost Heurtel and his PG situation is pretty bleak at the moment. Yesterday they played mighty old Brazil. Albicy and Ntkilina combined for 4 points and 3 assists. They played so poorly Collet was forced to switch ballhandling duties to De Colo for the majority of the game. Batum and Fournier didn't have a good game either (16 points on 18 shots), and the day was saved thanks to Gobert and Poirier trashing all Brazil's bigs. Behind the starting lineup of De Colo - Fournier - Batum - Moerman - Gobert there's very little depth. Only Poirier and maybe Toupane can be consistent contributors.

This evaluation is not based on one game. The other day they faced Montenegro and their guard play was awful as well. Do you know who Montenegro's starting PG is? Me neither, but did better than Albicy and Ntkilina. And all of France's bigs got their hands full with Vucevic and Dubljevic. Batum and Fournier saved the day by sinking 6 of 10 three-pointers. And of course they lost against Turkey.

So, first game of the tournament, won't be surprised if Germany gets the win.
                    France will be all right once the meaningful games start - I trust their experience and pedigree much more than Germany's, that's for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serbian_Layup View Post
                      Who stood out on both sides? Was there any defensive intensity, or just a shooting contest?
                      For Spain, I think the best player of the game was Rubio. He controlled the tempo and played very good defence. His shot was off, though. Marc showed his touch from the outside and exposed Team USA bigs, specially Plumlee. Llull played a good game as well, considering he's still not 100% physically. The Hernangómez brothers had a very humbling night, and I hope the message got through to them.

In the last roster spot audition, Oriola and Ribas got a clear advantage over the rest. As I said in a previous post, Colom, Rabaseda, Beirán and Diop are just not built for this kind of matches.

As for defence, nothing remarkable. Both teams tried, without going all out. Spain set a 3-2 zone for a while and gave USA some trouble. Otherwise just man-to-man. Team USA switched a lot, but Spain's bigs did not take advantage of mismatches.

Another thing that called my attention was the lack of post-up game among USA players. Bigs stayed mostly outside of the paint and most of their baskets were either putbacks or long jumpers.
                      Last edited by Darrell Armstrong; 08-17-2019, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax View Post
                        France will be all right once the meaningful games start - I trust their experience and pedigree much more than Germany's, that's for sure.
                        Experience and pedigree is nice and all, but only a handful of players in this current roster qualify for both. I mean, what pedigree do you find in a lineup of Albicy - TLC - M'Baye - Labeyrie - Lessort?

Comment

• I've just seen the long highlights (all made baskets) of USA - Spain game. Spain has enough offensive firepower to cause big problems to any team, and they tidied up their defense a little in the second half, but the combination of size and skill from USA guys make them deadly as they can score with ease when they play together. I don't see how any team other than maybe Serbia can beat them.

By the way, a question: Why was Kuzma booed? I don't see why Anaheim was a place he wasn't liked. Kings fans?

Another remark, Donovan Mitchell seems bulkier compared to playoffs. Summer was good for him, it seems
                          Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
                          Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
                          Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
                          Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

• Australia -Canada,starts on 11-30 by CET ,live on Fiba Youtube channel .

Comment

• Originally posted by vivo View Post
                              By the way, a question: Why was Kuzma booed? I don't see why Anaheim was a place he wasn't liked. Kings fans?
                              It was the hair. Definitely.

Comment

• Canada is preetty weakened by absences of Wiggins,Barret,Thompson,Murray ,Olynik and Alexander.Missings 6 great players ,cannot afford anyone national team,excluding Usa. So,Canada probably will not place in quarter-final.About Australia reached maximum on Olympic Games 2016,Simmons doesnt play ,Bogut and Baynes are old ,except them there are Mills,Dellavedova,Bolden,Ingles which are on relative high level ,other playing in Australia ,they also doesnt have big chances for quarter-finals,where the opponents are Lithuania and France.
                                Last edited by Nemanja; 08-17-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information