Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 FIBA World Cup - General Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by christodoulou76 View Post
    I like the current format too. My query was about the timing of the final cuts from 13/14 to 12. Should it be in the next few days or just before the tournament. Do you have a preference for when those cuts should be made?
    Rosters should be finalized a day or two before the tournament in my opinion. I am not sure of the deadline as well. That said I would cut my players a few days even before that. I wouldn’t want to string guys along up until the final seconds.
    If an injury were to occur you can recall them a couple of days later and prior to the deadline even if they were cut.
    Maybe you can even inform them that they are alternates in case of injury in the final week leading up to the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Rosters should be finalized a day or two before the tournament in my opinion. I am not sure of the deadline as well. That said I would cut my players a few days even before that. I wouldn’t want to string guys along up until the final seconds.
    If an injury were to occur you can recall them a couple of days later and prior to the deadline even if they were cut.
    Maybe you can even inform them that they are alternates in case of injury in the final week leading up to the tournament.
    Yes, I think that's the best approach. You don't want people worried they will be cut so close to the start of the tournament. You can tell your final two cut players not to go on vacation yet in case they are needed as last-minute replacements. But the 12-man roster should be set 5-6 days before the tournament starts so that the team can focus without distractions on their game plans for the first round.

I agree that 11th and 12th players are insurance guys anyway, not likely to play much unless there's an injury or you're in an easy group with a lot of garbage time.

Time to debut a new avatar for the Mundobasket 2019

Let's hope that he is the talisman that Serbia needs

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    Time to debut a new avatar for the Mundobasket 2019

Let's hope that he is the talisman that Serbia needs
    You went nostalgic with Koturovic instead of thinking of your future talisman...

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    You went nostalgic with Koturovic instead of thinking of your future talisman...

Hahahhaha. No, the theme is beat USA

Maybe go with the hero of 2007 U19 World Title, Stefan Stojacic, who put Curry into the blender

What a team on both sides. Stojacic, Stefan Markovic, Marjanovic, Raduljica, Macvan, Keselj and Mladen Jeremic lighting it up. Team USA with Steph Curry, Patrick Beverley, Johnny Flynn, Michael Beasley, DeAndre Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    Hahahhaha. No, the theme is beat USA

Maybe go with the hero of 2007 U19 World Title, Stefan Stojacic, who put Curry into the blender

What a team on both sides. Stojacic, Stefan Markovic, Marjanovic, Raduljica, Macvan, Keselj and Mladen Jeremic lighting it up. Team USA with Steph Curry, Patrick Beverley, Johnny Flynn, Michael Beasley, DeAndre Jordan

I haven't heard of some of those names in a while. And I'm not just referring to Jonny Flynn!
    That must have been right before Beasley's only season in college. He was so dominant in the NCAA.

So I see that both the Ivory Coast and the Venezuela players have gone on strike for better working conditions and more regular pay cheques. Does FIBA have a Plan B if certain countries are forced to withdraw from the WC Tournament at this late date? What teams could be invited to fill vacant slots? I've noticed that Finland and Hungary have teams participating in friendlies this summer.

Does anyone know if FIBA boxscores at the WC will record provoked fouls? It will be interesting to track how many Antetokounmpo gets.

Does anyone know if FIBA boxscores at the WC will record provoked fouls? It will be interesting to track how many Antetokounmpo gets.
    I don’t think so. Unlike the Euroleague FIBA uses efficiency that doesn’t factor that statistic like PIR does.

USA will win

Doubt it. At least it didn't track before this WC

idk where to post so xD there are rumors that 5v5 basketball is going to be removed from the olympics

Quote Originally Posted by zalias View Post
    idk where to post so xD there are rumors that 5v5 basketball is going to be removed from the olympics
    Wtf hell noooo. Thats gotta be fake

Isn't 3x3 basketball being added to the next Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by zalias View Post
    I'm fine with that, but we have 3x3 dedicated threads, maybe there would be the right place, but I can't moved it, I'm mod only for European sub, maybe admin or some other mod will, if will think that is necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Isn't 3x3 basketball being added to the next Olympics?
    It is. But... One of the main guys from our 3x3 community, former 5x5 and 3x3 bball player Skaisgirys said that the main idea is to check how it will do in 2020, then get stronger and by 2028 it will be only 3x3 in Olympics. That's the plan and that's what he heared from important FIBA people. He is not the guy to talk BS regarding such matters. I heared about it too, but didn't think that it might come true in the end, at least not that soon

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    I'm fine with that, but we have 3x3 dedicated threads, maybe there would be the right place, but I can't moved it, I'm mod only for European sub, maybe admin or some other mod will, if will think that is necessary

It is. But... One of the main guys from our 3x3 community, former 5x5 and 3x3 bball player Skaisgirys said that the main idea is to check how it will do in 2020, then get stronger and by 2028 it will be only 3x3 in Olympics. That's the plan and that's what he heared from important FIBA people. He is not the guy to talk BS regarding such matters. I heared about it too, but didn't think that it might come true in the end, at least not that soon
    why is that? basketball, along football and volleyball are three most important team sports in an olympic. also, basketball has been one of the spectacles in the olympics since 1936.

i think 5x5 should be given to youth teams u-21 and that would be more ideal. that's the u-23 soccer event in the olympics.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    why is that? basketball, along football and volleyball are three most important team sports in an olympic. also, basketball has been one of the spectacles in the olympics since 1936.

i think 5x5 should be given to youth teams u-21 and that would be more ideal. that's the u-23 soccer event in the olympics.
    FIBA lobbying obviously. They wants World Cup to become primary event in basketball world, like FIFA WC is in football. I hope IOC won't allow that to happen, but signs are worrisome. No u21 or u23 would replace NTs, not even close. Basketball would simply die bit by bit as Olympic event. 3x3 is a joke

Probably only USA considers Olympic basketball bigger then World Cup basketball? It's to their own detriment really. I just don't understand why US doesn't try and assist international basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Probably only USA considers Olympic basketball bigger then World Cup basketball? It's to their own detriment really. I just don't understand why US doesn't try and assist international basketball.
    To them, the nba is the only thing that matters.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast