This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by christodoulou76 View Post
    Who could have imagined that the 5-8 classification games would be used to determine the 2nd automatic qualifier from Europe rather than the one from the Americas? In other words, none of us predicted that only one European team would qualify to semifinals. Let's see if FRA can defy the odds tomorrow.
    In a different forum I kept using the example of an ARG-USA final to demonstrate how the Olympic qualifications worked saying that the set up meant that Canada could finish third and still not qualify. This is clearly my fault. My bad guys. I cursed Serbia.

Comment

• Serbia 2019 joins Spain 2014 and USA 2002 as the biggest flops in World Championships history. All three got beat in the quarterfinals and had coaching issues. Greek teams of 2010 and 2019 were also huge disappointments but not on the level of the top 3.
      Last edited by usagre; 09-10-2019, 08:23 PM.
      Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• Originally posted by christodoulou76 View Post
        Who could have imagined that the 5-8 classification games would be used to determine the 2nd automatic qualifier from Europe rather than the one from the Americas? In other words, none of us predicted that only one European team would qualify to semifinals. Let's see if FRA can defy the odds tomorrow.
        In previous Olympics the final four of the World Cup used to determine the additional Olympic slots from each continent (besides automatic slots). For example Australia and USA join Spain and Argentina in semifinals then this could lead to plus one slot for Oceania and Europe and two for Americas. This additional spots granted from continental championships.

I don't know which system is better. Pre-Olympics or continental championships?

Comment

• Serbia was the main threat to the USA winning this tournament. With them out of the way for me now they should not get beat. It would be a huge failure on par with 2002 and 2004. We have the most talent and with Serbia and Greece out we will never face a team where the best player on the court is not American. No excuses these teams are all inferior in talent and should not beat us.

Comment

• Originally posted by usagre View Post
            Serbia was the main threat to the USA winning this tournament. With them out of the way for me now they should not get beat. It would be a huge failure on par with 2002 and 2004. We have the most talent and with Serbia and Greece out we will never face a team where the best player on the court is not American. No excuses these teams are all inferior in talent and should not beat us.
            cough cough Turkey...
            Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
            FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
            FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modis View Post
              cough cough Turkey...
              I always differentiate between prelims games and knockout games. They are night and day. USA could have lost that game and would still be in the exact position they are now. So that kind of puts that game in perspective.
              Close calls against Brazil in ‘10, Lithuania in ‘12, Australia and Serbia in ‘16 don’t really mean anything and are just foot notes. It’s all about knockout time. It’s kind of like a regular season NBA game where a bad team beats a great team.
              Doesn’t really mean much. But now it’s 3 straight game 7’s to win it all and we are better than these teams and it should translate in the result.

Comment

• Basketball is a team game but it’s also a team game in which the individual star can impact it immensely and much more than in other team sports. Greece and Serbia have two of the top players in the entire world on their teams. You are doing a big disservice to your team if that is not the guiding factor in how the rest of your team is built and the style it will play.
                I think this tournament will serve as a learning lesson for both teams and they will make the appropriate changes going forward to take advantage of this fact.

Comment

Basketball is a team game but it’s also a team game in which the individual star can impact it immensely and much more than in other team sports. Greece and Serbia have two of the top players in the entire world on their teams. You are doing a big disservice to your team if that is not the guiding factor in how the rest of your team is built and the style it will play.
                  I think this tournament will serve as a learning lesson for both teams and they will make the appropriate changes going forward to take advantage of this fact.
                  People had reasonable expectations for Serbia due to recent achievements. Greece though? I never understood where that was coming from. So many people pointing out how that team wasn't set up to take advantage of what Giannis does best and still people are shocked they won't medal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
                    People had reasonable expectations for Serbia due to recent achievements. Greece though? I never understood where that was coming from. So many people pointing out how that team wasn't set up to take advantage of what Giannis does best and still people are shocked they won't medal.
                    They didn’t make the quarterfinals. They failed to get out of a group with Brazil and the Czech Republic. That’s the problem.
                    If they would have lost to Australia in the quarters like the Czech Republic will nobody would have blinked.

Comment

We can only hope so.
                      3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

Comment

• the nba guys for serbia who suppose to deliver delivered for them it was the other guys.. if milos despite the defensive inabilities can be a game changer as he is a willing passer..you can only hope for guduric to mature and boba n to be useful in situations
                        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• So apparently second round group with AUS/FRA/LTU was even stronger that you could have thought. Good job on beating the americans, France. FRA-AUS will be one heck of a final. (sorry Spain)

Comment

• A lot of pressure now on Spain, France and Australia to win this tournament. The sea parted like never before with no Serbia or US remaining in the way. Two of these three will squander an enormous opportunity and probably never live it down.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZaliaBalta View Post
                              So apparently second round group with AUS/FRA/LTU was even stronger that you could have thought. Good job on beating the americans, France. FRA-AUS will be one heck of a final. (sorry Spain)
                              Don't count Argentina out.

Comment

• I want USA... FRA is too much for us!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information