Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 2019 FIBA World Cup - General Discussion Thread

  1. #1
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,329
    Country: United States

    Default 2019 FIBA World Cup - General Discussion Thread

    Host
    China

    Asia (7)
    Australia
    New Zealand
    South Korea
    Japan
    Iran
    Jordan
    Philippines

    Africa (5)
    Nigeria
    Tunisia
    Angola
    SÚnÚgal
    C˘te D'Ivoire

    Americas (7)
    Argentina
    United States
    Venezuela
    Canada
    Brazil
    Dominican Republic
    Puerto Rico

    Europe (12)
    Greece
    Germany
    Czech Republic
    Lithuania
    France
    Spain
    Turkey
    Italy
    Poland
    Russia
    Serbia
    Montenegro

    - post copied from qualification tracking thread - Levenspiel
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 03-03-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  2. #2
    Efes fan Levenspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    7,084
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Format:
    1st round: 32 teams will be divided into 8 groups of 4 teams, and the first 2 ranked teams in each group will advance to the 2nd round.
    2nd round: 16 teams will be divided into 4 groups of 4 teams, and the first 2 ranked teams in each group will advance to quarter finals.
    QF==>SF==>F

    the group draws will take place on March 16.

    the pot 1 teams:

    China (30) (hosts)
    United States (1)
    Spain (2)
    France (3)
    Serbia (4)
    Argentina (5)
    Lithuania (6)
    Greece (8)


    in the end, top 8 teams will qualify to 2020 Olympics directly (+ Japan as the host).
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,329
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post

    in the end, top 8 teams will qualify to 2020 Olympics directly (+ Japan as the host).
    One clarification, it's not the top 8, it's 7 teams from Europe, Americas, Africa, Asia and Oceania

    Top 2 finishers from Europe and Americas, and the best finisher from Africa, Asia and Oceania qualify for the Olympics. Japan will join those teams as host to make it 8.

    The best 16 (of the teams that don't automatically qualify for the Olympics) will qualify for the Olympic Qualifying Tournaments.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    539
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    One clarification, it's not the top 8, it's 7 teams from Europe, Americas, Africa, Asia and Oceania

    Top 2 finishers from Europe and Americas, and the best finisher from Africa, Asia and Oceania qualify for the Olympics. Japan will join those teams as host to make it 8.

    The best 16 (of the teams that don't automatically qualify for the Olympics) will qualify for the Olympic Qualifying Tournaments.
    Is it top 1 from Asia and Oceania? Or top two from the now combined Asia-Oceania?
    I thought they got rid of Oceania?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,329
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Is it top 1 from Asia and Oceania? Or top two from the now combined Asia-Oceania?
    I thought they got rid of Oceania?
    For world cup qualifying yes, but for Olympic qualifying they keep them separate. For proof please check out this fiba's video starting at 1:10.



    Edit Note: For the World Cup Asia/Oceania are together, for the olympic games they're separate, and for for the Olympic Qualifying Tournament they are together again.
    Last edited by Dtown; 03-04-2019 at 04:34 AM.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    539
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Unbelievable. I thought the intent was to get rid of that ridiculous two team region. Did the Asian teams lobby for this to ensure they have representation in the Olympics?
    Australia still gets a free pass in almost every major tournament. All they have to do is be better than New Zealand.
    Last edited by mojo13; 03-05-2019 at 06:43 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,241
    Country: Singapore

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Unbelievable. I thought the intent was to get rid of that ridiculous two team region. Did the Asian teams lobby for this to ensure they have representation in the Olympics?
    Australia still gets a free pass in almost every major tournament. All they have to do is be better than New Zealand.
    The top asian teams are capable of defeating NZ and an Aussie team w/o its top NBA stars even if they are still the slight underdogs.
    Koreans have defeated NZ before. Japan and Iran have defeated Aussie w/o top NBA stars too.
    So yeah, I don't see why they need to lobby for such tactics.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    163
    Country: Egypt

    Default Coach of the Brazilian team meets with Caboclo, FelÝcio and Raulzinho ahead of WC

    Alongside CBB CEO Marcelo Sousa, Petrovic visits players in the United States: "It was great to talk to the three players who were committed"

    Croatian coach of the Brazilian basketball team Aleksandar Petrovic and the executive director of the Brazilian Basketball Confederation (CBB), Marcelo Sousa,

    met from March 22 to 25 with Brazilian players in the NBA. The meetings took place in the United States and are aimed primarily at preparing for

    the World Basketball Championship, which runs from August 31 to September 15 in China.


    The first meeting was with the owner Raul Neto, who plays for the Utah Jazz, on Friday (March 22); then the talk was with pivot Christian Felicius,

    who plays for the Chicago Bulls on Saturday (March 23). And, closing the way across the United States, Petrovic

    and Sousa met with Memphis Grizzlies forward Bruno Caboclo on Monday (March 25).

    - It was great to talk to the three players who were committed and at the disposal of the Brazilian national team, "Petrovic said.

    - I am very pleased with these meetings, which showed that Raul Neto, Cristiano FelÝcio and Bruno Caboclo are eager to defend Brazil at the World Cup in China.

    This is sensational, as well as being important for the formatting of our team, which will have a difficult race ahead, needing to rely on

    its maximum strength - Sousa added.



    https://globoesporte.globo.com/basqu...aulzinho.ghtml

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    539
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemo View Post
    Alongside CBB CEO Marcelo Sousa, Petrovic visits players in the United States: "It was great to talk to the three players who were committed"

    Croatian coach of the Brazilian basketball team Aleksandar Petrovic and the executive director of the Brazilian Basketball Confederation (CBB), Marcelo Sousa,

    met from March 22 to 25 with Brazilian players in the NBA. The meetings took place in the United States and are aimed primarily at preparing for

    the World Basketball Championship, which runs from August 31 to September 15 in China.


    The first meeting was with the owner Raul Neto, who plays for the Utah Jazz, on Friday (March 22); then the talk was with pivot Christian Felicius,

    who plays for the Chicago Bulls on Saturday (March 23). And, closing the way across the United States, Petrovic

    and Sousa met with Memphis Grizzlies forward Bruno Caboclo on Monday (March 25).

    - It was great to talk to the three players who were committed and at the disposal of the Brazilian national team, "Petrovic said.

    - I am very pleased with these meetings, which showed that Raul Neto, Cristiano FelÝcio and Bruno Caboclo are eager to defend Brazil at the World Cup in China.

    This is sensational, as well as being important for the formatting of our team, which will have a difficult race ahead, needing to rely on

    its maximum strength - Sousa added.



    https://globoesporte.globo.com/basqu...aulzinho.ghtml

    This great for Brazil as they were pretty terrible in the qualifiers. Old, slow and in desperate need of a youth and talent infusion. Especially good to see Bruno finally becoming a real player....

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    3
    Country: Yugoslavia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    This great for Brazil as they were pretty terrible in the qualifiers. Old, slow and in desperate need of a youth and talent infusion. Especially good to see Bruno finally becoming a real player....
    Aco Petrovic can't coach, it's proven over and over again. He could not last more than a year anywhere in the last two decades, and regardless of Caboclo, Neto and Felicio playing Brazil imho never had a weaker squad since I can remember, and that's since the 80s. So they definitely might have trouble to advance far in China, and as a matter of fact Montenegro might kick Brazil out in the last game in Nanjing group, if they manage to win against New Zealand at all in the opener. Greece will win that group easily if Giannis shows up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •