Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2019 FIBA World Cup - General Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    I don't like their (team USA) arrogance at all.. I want them to lose in every international competition.. they don't respect FIBA and basketball in general.. they are supposed the role model in basketball world and yet they are the ones who killing the popularity of basketball in general.. as for their players, especially that players should be playing (McCollum, Davis, lilliard, etc..) they should not been idolized by many.. they are bad influence in basketball world..they are only for self interest and for money only...
    Agree 100%. I don't understand why they don't want basketball to be as popular outside the US. Everyone knows the NBA is the best but they're like fuck you world.

Quote Originally Posted by Picek View Post
    well, taking a U23 team to WC and then in 12 months time or less (10 months) a star team but also at the same time a completely different team in comparison to the one that plays qualifications for WC and also to the one that plays on the actual WC..
    let's see how will that work out in the future as that means there will be three different teams participating at different events for US over 4 year span.
    if we take into consideration that olympics are the main goal for team US, that OG team will only have 35 days or less to find cohesion and set team play as a unit.
    coach K had Klay, Kyrie, Demarcus and Derozan in his WC 2014. and OG 2016. teams.
    or Harden and AD in his 2012 and 2014 teams.

none of these players from 2019. will probably make the team in 2020.
    at the same time NBA 2019/2020 season ends in june and the olympics start in late july which further means that OG preps start mid of june or late june.
    bottom line, americans have all the right in the world to be arrogant but this arrogance could prove costly already next year but even more in the future.
    basketball is a team sport after all, regardless of the amount of individual talent you have on the team you still need time for the team to glue.
    looking forward to seeing US failing next year as well.
    told you, because on what theyre wishing for..who will they enlist now?
    Last edited by reamily; 09-13-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Classic worthless hater attitude. Demanding respect against corrupt organization like FIBA run by full idiots, counting other peoples money, saying USA players SHOULD do this or that, because...they dont answer to you or "global basketball fans", capiche?
    Whining if they dont to play for free in a meaningless tournament with different rules and dangerously incompetent rugby-style referees.
    But well haters gonna hate, others will play or enjoy NBA basketball and forget about this ridiculous tournament.
    I give you an analogy - of course injured Mike Tyson with unsuitable coaching can lose to inferior opponent in training match, if opponent is fully prepared. To whine, that he got injured/lazy and say its killing the popularity of boxing -gimme a break.

Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    I don't like their (team USA) arrogance at all.. I want them to lose in every international competition.. they don't respect FIBA and basketball in general.. they are supposed the role model in basketball world and yet they are the ones who killing the popularity of basketball in general.. as for their players, especially that players should be playing (McCollum, Davis, lilliard, etc..) they should not been idolized by many.. they are bad influence in basketball world..they are only for self interest and for money only...

Quote Originally Posted by Richey666 View Post
    Classic worthless hater attitude. Demanding respect against corrupt organization like FIBA run by full idiots, counting other peoples money, saying USA players SHOULD do this or that, because...they dont answer to you or "global basketball fans", capiche?
    Whining if they dont to play for free in a meaningless tournament with different rules and dangerously incompetent rugby-style referees.
    But well haters gonna hate, others will play or enjoy NBA basketball and forget about this ridiculous tournament.
    I give you an analogy - of course injured Mike Tyson with unsuitable coaching can lose to inferior opponent in training match, if opponent is fully prepared. To whine, that he got injured/lazy and say its killing the popularity of boxing -gimme a break.
    Great post. I mean they actually do play and it’s called the Olympics. Now that’s not enough and you want them to participate twice in one cycle. That’s too much to ask. I mean even in FIFA there’s only one world event per 4 years.
    You want basketball to be different ?
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Great post. I mean they actually do play and it’s called the Olympics. Now that’s not enough and you want them to participate twice in one cycle. That’s too much to ask. I mean even in FIFA there’s only one world event per 4 years.
    You want basketball to be different ?
    Well you do have the continental championships in between too. And in soccer there is also WC and the olympics tournament (which is not very interesting).
    3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Agree 100%. I don't understand why they don't want basketball to be as popular outside the US. Everyone knows the NBA is the best but they're like fuck you world.

The NBA might have the best players but it’s not as interesting as the Euroleague (according to my personal taste). The NBA is better in terms of sports science and the players are the best in the world (not even a contest) but the need to make a money making machine leads to so many games that in the end winning and losing one individual game doesn’t make much difference. Also, I don’t like the atmosphere in NBA stadiums. Even in the playoffs (granted I’ve been to only one game) the crowd is more interested in snacks than the actual game.

This is not me shitting on the NBA or the US, I did outline the advantages. Especially in terms of science (strengthening, nutrition, rehabilitation) they are miiiiles head of everybody else. But the regular season is a terrible spectacle from a competitive point of view.
    3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

Now remind me which side of the bracket was weaker again?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    Haha +1

The side where Argentina and Spain come up. It doesnt change the fact that Poland made the quarter finals just because of the draw while Lithuania or Canada or Greece had to play much tougher opponents

Rooting hard for Argentina in Final to appropriately make a mockery of this tournament. But it won’t happen.
    The fairy tale ends and Spain is the champion.

Rooting hard for Argentina in Final to appropriately make a mockery of this tournament.
    A team like ARG, which is playing wonderful team basketball on both ends of the floor and has amazing players like Scola and Campazzo, winning it all would not make a mockery of the tournament. It would showcase what great basketball is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by christodoulou76 View Post
    A team like ARG, which is playing wonderful team basketball on both ends of the floor and has amazing players like Scola and Campazzo, winning it all would not make a mockery of the tournament. It would showcase what great basketball is all about.
    Absolutely. Argentina have made basketball look good.

If Scola can keep playing like that in the final, it would be a medical mystery.

This.

So, anytime a low-ranked team wins the NCAA Final Four, is it a mockery as well? Argentina has shown once again why games must be played even if a supposedly weak team is matched up with one of the favourites.

Mockery might be the wrong word. But they would weakest team in relation to their opponents ever to win an Olympic or Worlds tournament. Maybe there’s another word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by okanial View Post
    The side where Argentina and Spain come up. It doesnt change the fact that Poland made the quarter finals just because of the draw while Lithuania or Canada or Greece had to play much tougher opponents
    So, the weaker side produced 1st, 2nd and quite possibly 5th. Let's hope Poland beats Team USA to break the tie...

So, the weaker side produced 1st, 2nd and quite possibly 5th. Let's hope Poland beats Team USA to break the tie...
    Nobody called Spain or Serbia weak and Argentina is a great surprise but if you seriously think teams like Venezuela and Lithuania are equal then I have nothing to say. Do you think East was stronger than West this year because Toronto won?

Mockery might be the wrong word. But they would weakest team in relation to their opponents ever to win an Olympic or Worlds tournament. Maybe there’s another word for it.
    It just shows that international basketball is in dire state when 39 year old Scola looks like prime Barkley out there.The same guy who was a non factor 5 years ago.And USA chose the worst time to send this D team.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    It just shows that international basketball is in dire state when 39 year old Scola looks like prime Barkley out there.The same guy who was a non factor 5 years ago.And USA chose the worst time to send this D team.
    I just think you see fluky things in fluky tournaments. I don’t think you’d ever see a team do this in the Olympics for example. Or a team win an NBA or Euroleague title in such a scenario. It kind of reminds of the NCAA tournament where you get a great amount of upsets and unlikely tournament winners. But I think it will be a moot point because Spain will win.

Scola, 39 playing in China had the better of Gobert & Jokić playing in the NBA. If something is in a dire state from this, then it's the NBA.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast