WC 2019 Power Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
    I think mojo13 commented this question nicely. Please read above.
    well, i had read mojo's comment before i post. from the looks of it, only brooks and ennis are the only ones that are really impossible to participate in this year's world cup due to injuries. if canada is really willing to win it all, they should do something to persuade their best players to play for them. as for stauskas, this world cup will be his audition to impress his nba team of what his capable of. is he still with the cavs?
    Attack
    defend
    Unite

Comment

Originally posted by ja.he View Post
      if canada is really willing to win it all, they should do something to persuade their best players to play for them.
      If talking aboust their best individual players, then there is almost no chance to see Andrew Wiggins. However it should probably be seen as a good thing for Team Canada in the end

Comment

tier 1 USA doesnt matter even they dont bring their top 10 of their player,they still would be huge favourites

tier 2 Serbia and Spain tallent and winner mentality (very hard to beat them in playoffs)

tier 3 Australia,France,Lithuania,Greece

tier 4 all others and basically they have no shot for medal (unless some cinderrella story)

As Olympics 2016 shown USa,Spain,Serbia,Australia is top 4 teams at second part of 10s.

from tier 3 i believe Australia as 2016 olympics shown can put team closest to Serbia and Spain,but they lack strong minded players,tallent is there,experience is there,but something with them its seems they cant win the most crusial game .But on just ok day for them they can beat anybody except for Usa.

I dont trust Canada at all i see them not even making top 8.They have zero experience in fiba game tournaments,but tallent they can put is scary ...I would give teams like Argentina or Russia more chances than Canada in WC 2019.You are not comming with zero experience and starting winning playoofs games in fiba tournaments.

France as always tallent pool is scary,but they will miss leadership from Parker and Diaw they had for like 15 years...those 2 was critical in putting all that tallent in right places.

Lithuania
        and Greece (with Giannis) can be very dangerous in playoofs if teams chemistry goes well for them.
        Last edited by Shawshank; 03-11-2019, 04:55 PM.

Comment

well, i had read mojo's comment before i post. from the looks of it, only brooks and ennis are the only ones that are really impossible to participate in this year's world cup due to injuries. if canada is really willing to win it all, they should do something to persuade their best players to play for them. as for stauskas, this world cup will be his audition to impress his nba team of what his capable of. is he still with the cavs?
          Nik Stauskas is still with the Cavs (barely). But I am not sure he is any more important to Canada than Kevin Pangos or even Phil Scrubb. The only thing he has on Kevin Pangos is he is 6'6 and can play some SF for Canada (our weakest position) and why I hope he plays. And both Dillon Brooks and Tyler Ennis are not definitely out for Canada, they should be healed up by earlier summer and could be ready to play in the WC (if that is a wise move coming back from injury is another question). Ennis is not a top 12 player for Canada but Brooks sure is and I hope he can play. Brooks looks like a very good FIBA fit as well, Ennis not so much as he is a below average shooter.

And we have been doing something since 2014 to get the NBA players to play starting with new management including Steve Nash. I think we have pretty decent commitment and buy-in, but the NBA players (all countries NBA players) are under heavy external pressures to not play FIBA. We wont get them all of course but we will be ok. We had the most NBA player participation of any country during the qualifiers but likely that's because we have the most (besides the US).

Comment

@Straightforward We're very humbled to be in the top 5 asia-pacific team in your power ranking where imo we are 9th(we're just lucky that lebanon had tougher matchups) False sense of progress as we tagged blatche as the hero of our qualification where it was Ricardo ratliffe hehe. Reality is we are better team in the 4th, 5th window, its just us Filipinos as a basketball nation cannot accept not seeing the team in world cup.

We already have big men that can compete in this level even without Blatche. We just wait for them to grow while they are in us ncaa division 1. Still no pressure for Kai Sotto to accelerate development and go straight to China as I still put AJ Edu and Quentin Millora brown as "more ready" at the moment.
            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Let's do it. I think it's the most fun time to do it. We have all 32 teams.

1. USA. Comments needed? Any combination will make them favourites, but I do think some of it could be in some sort of risk against some teams. We'll see if they will gather superstars.
              2. Serbia. Teo might be not as good as he used to be, but Bogdanovic is playing well in NBA, Micic in Euroleague, they will bring back Bjelica and will probably have the best frontline with Jokic, Marjanovic, Milutinov. Personally I don't think they are as talented as Spain used to be, but they belong here.
              3. Spain. Still has to go with them if they will gather all team. Pau is getting old and he is done as an elite FIBA force, but I think they are still very good. Heard that even Pau still wants to play, so you can expect both Gasols, Lull, Rodriguez, maybe even Rudy in. Rubio, Mirotic and some younger players expected to play bigger roles. More or less veteran team, but heck of a team.
              4. Lithuania. We had a blow with Gudaitis out, but I'm surprised that on the paper we have a really solid unit. Our veterans as Kalnietis, Seibutis, Maciulis are having solid seasons while our younger players stepping up - Valanciunas, Sabonis (arguably the best frontline due, maybe even in entire tournament if USA will get some second rate NBA star bigs...does it make sense? ), Kuzminskas, Grigonis are expected to be among the keys. Also we should have solid role players as Lekavicius, Ulanovas to make our team pretty deep and solid. It's a tough call between Lithuania and France/Greece/Australia, but I found us more predictable and rock solid while other teams have to many questions regarding the roster. We have a history to overachieve with much less talented rosters.
              5. Greece. If Giannis in, they probably should even be higher. He says he will be in, but till he didn't come and showed it, I don't want to put Greece to high which facing some problems with deepness of the roster.
              6. France. Tough, because on the paper they have such a good team with de Colo, Fournier, Batum, Gobert, but always lacking something and if some youngsters won't surprise, I think will lack something again.
              7. Australia. We already discussed, they have a lot of quality and tons of NBA players who might be leaded by Simmons. But will they gather all? And some players already getting old - Bogut is done, Mills and Dellavedova is not getting better, Ingles probably as well. So Simmons and young players should step up. Too many questions at the moment, IMO, but might be one of the best teams.
              8. Canada. Some Canadian and American posters are probably shocked, but as of yet I don't see them higher. They have to prove they learned how to play coherent FIBA basketball, instead of looking at the roster's names. Plenty of NBA talents, some really good talents playing abroad, but they should stick first and to play high arc basketball.
              9. Russia. Shed can ball, Karasev can ball, some solid players, pretty balanced roster. Yet not the best defensive team and very emotional team. They should gather some momentum going for them, a bit unpredictable team, IMO, but I surely want to see them among top 9.

To be honest, that's my top 9 teams. After that it's tough...

10. Italy. They always have talent, but also lacking discipline, defence. If they will gather all roster, they should be among top 10, IMO.
              11. Turkey.
              12. Germany.
              13. Czech Republic.
              14. Brazil. I think simply aged. Can players like Caboclo, Raul Neto lift them? I doubt.
              15. Argentina.
              16. Montenegro.
              17. China. Too low? No idea how good they are these days, but somewhere in the middle I think.
              18. Poland.
              19. Dominican Republic. Here's the thing. If Karl-Anthony Towns and Al Horford will play, they should be higher, but I doubt we'll see them both.
              20. Puerto Rico.
              21. Angola.
              22. New Zealand.
              23. Japan.
              24. Nigeria.
              25. Senegal.
              26. Philippines.
              27. Venezuela.
              28. Tunisia.
              29. Iran.
              30. Korea.
              31. Cote d'Ivoire
              32. Jordan.

Please correct me with a button teams, because there's plenty of posters who knows Asia's, South America's and Africa's markets much better than I do.
              Why this hype for greece?OK calathes,giannis and koufous?then?printezis is boiled,spanoulis is retired,they have a poor talented guards rotation,few points in the hands of their guards

I think even Italy with di Vincenzo and Brooks together(ike greece with calathes and koufoys) NBA players,Hackett,melli,datome,della valle and gentile could be better than them,despite the absence of a true big man

I think greece is a 9-16 ranking like my country,not more
              Last edited by Italian Pride; 03-14-2019, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
                Why this hype for greece?OK calathes,giannis and koufous?then?printezis is boiled,spanoulis is retired,they have a poor talented guards rotation,few points in the hands of their guards

I think even Italy with di Vincenzo and Brooks together(ike greece with calathes and koufoys) NBA players,Hackett,melli,datome,della valle and gentile could be better than them,despite the absence of a true big man

I think greece is a 9-16 ranking like my country,not more
                You can’t just mention Giannis in passing. He’s gonna win the MVP in the NBA this year. You can probably name the better players than him in the world in one hand. And don’t make the mistake of thinking he’s the same player we saw in FIBA three years ago either. Yeah the players around him aren’t great because if they were Greece would be right there with Spain and Serbia but they are not as bad as you make them out to be. Sloukas that you failed to mention is a good player as well.

If Giannis plays I think Greece is in the 4-6 range team on paper.
                Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
                  You can’t just mention Giannis in passing. He’s gonna win the MVP in the NBA this year. You can probably name the better players than him in the world in one hand. And don’t make the mistake of thinking he’s the same player we saw in FIBA three years ago either. Yeah the players around him aren’t great because if they were Greece would be right there with Spain and Serbia but they are not as bad as you make them out to be. Sloukas that you failed to mention is a good player as well.

If Giannis plays I think Greece is in the 4-6 range team on paper.
                  you're right,i had forgotten sloukas

ok giannis is a freak,one of the best 10 players of the next FWC,but he has a great liability in the 3 pt shot,so in the fiba basketball could be a great lackness for his game without 3 second

i think an hypotethical starting 5 like this: Calathes-Sloukas-Papanikolau-Giannis-Koufous is very strong phisically and great effort on the defensive side,but it could be very problematic in the offense with the spacing,only sloukas is a true shooter,other 3 playesr are poor shooters,so this is one reason that make me doubt about real potential of this team

definitely i think usa,australia,canada,france,serbia,spain,lithuania are better than them

Comment

Let's do it. I think it's the most fun time to do it. We have all 32 teams.

1. USA. Comments needed? Any combination will make them favourites, but I do think some of it could be in some sort of risk against some teams. We'll see if they will gather superstars.
                    2. Serbia. Teo might be not as good as he used to be, but Bogdanovic is playing well in NBA, Micic in Euroleague, they will bring back Bjelica and will probably have the best frontline with Jokic, Marjanovic, Milutinov. Personally I don't think they are as talented as Spain used to be, but they belong here.
                    3. Spain. Still has to go with them if they will gather all team. Pau is getting old and he is done as an elite FIBA force, but I think they are still very good. Heard that even Pau still wants to play, so you can expect both Gasols, Lull, Rodriguez, maybe even Rudy in. Rubio, Mirotic and some younger players expected to play bigger roles. More or less veteran team, but heck of a team.
                    4. Lithuania. We had a blow with Gudaitis out, but I'm surprised that on the paper we have a really solid unit. Our veterans as Kalnietis, Seibutis, Maciulis are having solid seasons while our younger players stepping up - Valanciunas, Sabonis (arguably the best frontline due, maybe even in entire tournament if USA will get some second rate NBA star bigs...does it make sense? ), Kuzminskas, Grigonis are expected to be among the keys. Also we should have solid role players as Lekavicius, Ulanovas to make our team pretty deep and solid. It's a tough call between Lithuania and France/Greece/Australia, but I found us more predictable and rock solid while other teams have to many questions regarding the roster. We have a history to overachieve with much less talented rosters.
                    5. Greece. If Giannis in, they probably should even be higher. He says he will be in, but till he didn't come and showed it, I don't want to put Greece to high which facing some problems with deepness of the roster.
                    6. France. Tough, because on the paper they have such a good team with de Colo, Fournier, Batum, Gobert, but always lacking something and if some youngsters won't surprise, I think will lack something again.
                    7. Australia. We already discussed, they have a lot of quality and tons of NBA players who might be leaded by Simmons. But will they gather all? And some players already getting old - Bogut is done, Mills and Dellavedova is not getting better, Ingles probably as well. So Simmons and young players should step up. Too many questions at the moment, IMO, but might be one of the best teams.
                    8. Canada. Some Canadian and American posters are probably shocked, but as of yet I don't see them higher. They have to prove they learned how to play coherent FIBA basketball, instead of looking at the roster's names. Plenty of NBA talents, some really good talents playing abroad, but they should stick first and to play high arc basketball.
                    9. Russia. Shed can ball, Karasev can ball, some solid players, pretty balanced roster. Yet not the best defensive team and very emotional team. They should gather some momentum going for them, a bit unpredictable team, IMO, but I surely want to see them among top 9.

To be honest, that's my top 9 teams. After that it's tough...

10. Italy. They always have talent, but also lacking discipline, defence. If they will gather all roster, they should be among top 10, IMO.
                    11. Turkey.
                    12. Germany.
                    13. Czech Republic.
                    14. Brazil. I think simply aged. Can players like Caboclo, Raul Neto lift them? I doubt.
                    15. Argentina.
                    16. Montenegro.
                    17. China. Too low? No idea how good they are these days, but somewhere in the middle I think.
                    18. Poland.
                    19. Dominican Republic. Here's the thing. If Karl-Anthony Towns and Al Horford will play, they should be higher, but I doubt we'll see them both.
                    20. Puerto Rico.
                    21. Angola.
                    22. New Zealand.
                    23. Japan.
                    24. Nigeria.
                    25. Senegal.
                    26. Philippines.
                    27. Venezuela.
                    28. Tunisia.
                    29. Iran.
                    30. Korea.
                    31. Cote d'Ivoire
                    32. Jordan.

Please correct me with a button teams, because there's plenty of posters who knows Asia's, South America's and Africa's markets much better than I do.
                    well, philippines is still lobbying clarkson's inclusion to the team. i know this is still a long shot, but if we get him, we'll probably make to the top 20. and we'll get better than puerto rico, angola, new zealand, japan, nigeria and senegal. another good addition for us are the D1 players remy martin and aj edu.

So probably, blatche, edu, norwood, clarkson, martin, castro, aguilar, fajardo, rosario, pogoy, lee, lassiter will be our best line up this august.
                    Last edited by ja.he; 03-15-2019, 12:34 AM.
                    Attack
                    defend
                    Unite

Comment

well, philippines is still lobbying clarkson's inclusion to the team. i know this is still a long shot, but if we get him, we'll probably make to the top 20. and we'll get better than puerto rico, angola, new zealand, japan, nigeria and senegal. another good addition for us are the D1 players remy martin and aj edu.

So probably, blatche, edu, norwood, clarkson, martin, castro, aguilar, fajardo, rosario, pogoy, lee, lassiter will be our best line up this august.
                      Sorry,but in what way could you include clarkson?

Comment

Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
                        Sorry,but in what way could you include clarkson?
                        well, jordan clarkson has a filipino mother. her mother, in fact, was born and lived here in her childhood before she and her family migrated abroad. she is the one that introduced jordan clarkson to the philippines. also, clarkson family are actually very active in filipino community in the us. clarkson and his father always like to represent the philippines if the opportunity comes. he already did in asian games. now, they want to be with the team in this year's world cup.

his mother also wants him to represent nothing but the philippines.

the things we should hurdle before getting him is his passport issue. it is said that he already got his passport at the age of 12 but that is still in contention. another thing is his cleveland cavs. will he allow him to play there?
                        Last edited by ja.he; 03-15-2019, 01:20 AM.
                        Attack
                        defend
                        Unite

Comment

well, jordan clarkson has a filipino mother. her mother, in fact, was born and lived here in her childhood before she and her family migrated abroad. she is the one that introduced jordan clarkson to the philippines. also, clarkson family are actually very active in filipino community in the us. clarkson and his father always like to represent the philippines if the opportunity comes. he already did in asian games. now, they want to be with the team in this year's world cup.

his mother also wants him to represent nothing but the philippines.

the things we should hurdle before getting him is his passport issue. it is said that he already got his passport at the age of 12 but that is still in contention. another thing is his cleveland cavs. will he allow him to play there?
                          She doesnt need to be scared of Clarkson representing USA. That is never gonna happen

Comment

Originally posted by okanial View Post
                            She doesnt need to be scared of Clarkson representing USA. That is never gonna happen
                            I know that. That team USA is so stack you look at their pool. Any combination can be a team a player. Look at the coaching staff, pop is the head coach and Kerr as the assistant. That will be spurs and warriors game in the mix.

Well, I hope clarkson gets cleared in time by fiba. What i am trying to say there is that her mother is not forgetting the place of her birth and it’s an honor.
                            Attack
                            defend
                            Unite

Comment

I know that. That team USA is so stack you look at their pool. Any combination can be a team a player. Look at the coaching staff, pop is the head coach and Kerr as the assistant. That will be spurs and warriors game in the mix.

Well, I hope clarkson gets cleared in time by fiba. What i am trying to say there is that her mother is not forgetting the place of her birth and it’s an honor.
                              So far there has been no proof provided that Clarkson received a Philippines passport before age 16. Thus he is considered naturalized - problem is so is the merc Blatche and you cant have both unless the Philippines can $uccessfully lobby FIBA. Blatche is probably more valuable than Clarkson wouldn't you think? A quality bigman is harder to find for the Philippines than an inefficient scoring guard right?

Comment

Based on suspected full rosters:

1. USA
                                2. Spain
                                3. France (Aside from USA, deepest roster together with Spain)
                                4. Serbia
                                5. Australia (Amazing team at the last Olympics)
                                6. Greece (Chemistry will be important, but with Giannis on the team I can not rank them lower thank the fourth team in Europe).
                                7. Lithuania (if you ask me they have over performed in the last decade due to excellent chemistry, but this was not always the case. So I picked a balanced position)
                                8. Canada (Have not beaten any of the above teams yet)
                                9. Germany (Germany seems to be on the rise judging from recent tournaments)
                                10.Italy ( lacks depth, but first 5 can be dangerous)
                                11.Brazil (decent rooster)
                                12.Argentina
                                13.Turkey (Struggling new generation lacks depth and misses Enes Kanter)
                                14. New Zealand
                                15. Nigeria
                                16. Puerto Rico
                                17. China (home court)
                                PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information