Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: WC 2019 Power Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    No Ben Simmons for Australia. That’s big time because he was gonna provide some youth into an aging team.
    I think Australia is overrated since the key players from the 2016 Olympics semifinal team are now a lot older.

Another Rich Paul client named Anthony Davis will announce the same thing soon in my opinion.
    Ben declared he would play for the boomers. Is he out now? WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Ben declared he would play for the boomers. Is he out now? WTF
    Yeah I just saw that according to report from his agent.

As we now get closer to the tournament and the reality of a training camp, exhibition games, and actual tournament become clear I think you’ll see a lot more players electing to skip it. Especially the Americans. It’s sounds great as a sound bite to commit months in advance but that doesn’t mean anything. Now you have to put up or shut up. Sacrificing an entire summer is not that appealing to many.

No Ben Simmons for Australia. Thatís big time because he was gonna provide some youth into an aging team.
    I think Australia is overrated since the key players from the 2016 Olympics semifinal team are now a lot older.

Another Rich Paul client named Anthony Davis will announce the same thing soon in my opinion.
    Well he's unlikely which means he's probably not but man I wish he would just say no and call it a fucking day.

Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    Well he's unlikely which means he's probably not but man I wish he would just say no and call it a fucking day.
    Yeah I agree. The report says he doubts he will participate. What does that mean ? If health is not an issue then what’s gonna change ?

@Mojo13

What are you hearing up there about the Canadian squad ? Itís mid July and we havenít heard the preliminary pool of players yet. Any news on these top guys ?

Jamal Murray
    Tristan Thompson
    Andrew Wiggins
    S. Gilgeous-Alexander
    Kelly Olynyk
    Cory Joseph
    Dwight Powell

And to a lesser degree

RJ Barrett
    Trey Lyles
    Nick Stauskas

Is Dillon Brooks still injured ?
    I think a camp roster will be announced Monday or Tuesday.

As for the team I am sure CoJo, KO and TT are locks as they are being used all over the place in the marketing.

SGA, Murray, Stauskas, Birch, Powell, Boucher have all stated publicly they want to play. I really have no insight on Murray and SGA. But feel good about Birch and Powell.
    Pangos, Ejim, both Scrubbs, Wiltjer have all stated publicly they want to play as well.
    Stauskas is still the only NBA guy without a contract, but I am not sure how much that matters as this may be an audition for a European or a Chinese club if he is out of the NBA. Pangos is back with Barca and under contract (some rumor of a buyout and move to Valencia) so that seems settled and he should be available. Ejim and both Scrubbs I believe are without contracts but I'd guess they all would be available. Sounded like Wiltjer wants to play as well (saw a recent interview) but that is digging deep at the forward spot. We shouldn't forget about Andrew Nicholson either - he has been killing it in China (finally found a three ball - hitting ~45% on 2.5 made threes a game). I wouldn't be too upset to see him there over Ejim/Wiltjer/Boucher etc.

Lyles has showed no interest publicly - I'd be surprised if he shows (i'm almost sure he wont).
    Wiggins is still quite the enigma - your guess is as good as mine (50/50 at best)

Brooks isn't playing summer league and I heavily question if he is going to be ready to play (injured foot). There has been no injury news on him since March - I cant find anything out there on him except that he clearly has the Thirst and was mentored by TT. Tyler Ennis still seems out as well - but I don't know for sure and hopefully it doesn't matter. There was some question about him playing the EL playoffs but he was quickly ruled out. Even if health Tyler Ennis and Brooks are probably way out of game shape.

I don't think any of the just drafted rookies play (Brandon Clarke, Nickeil Alexander Walker, Mfiondu Kabengele, RJ Barrett, Brazdeikis, Marial Shayok. Barrett said he was "unsure" if he was going to play just a few days ago. That s not a good sign. But maybe a good thing for Canada considering his Summer League play. NAW or Clarke could help though.

If I had to guess a good but realistic case might be something like this:
    Joseph
    Murray
    Gilgeous-Alexander
    Kelly O
    Thompson

Stauskas
    Pangos
    P. Scrubb
    T. Scrubb
    Powell
    Birch
    Ejim

I'd be happy with this. Maybe a Wiggins or Brooks gets in there too.

Oh and Naz Long is not on the 18 man Greek camp roster if that matters and Dylan Ennis said he is free from Jamaica and available to Canada if they want him. Anybody else worth talking about? Anthony Bennett was supposedly hurt at the end of the GLeague season (shoulder) but I know nothing more about it. Justin Jackson (remember him?) tore his Achilles in Jan/Feb (poor kid).

Edit: and just like that Anthony Bennett signed a non guaranteed deal with the Rockets.

It's all about Sixers. Simmons case looks like Horfod's. Both of them are on a verge of a big contract. Sixers are on a crossroad, they need their players rested and fully focused on the next NBA season. As for Simmons i think that he will never be " fully commited" to Boomers.

Mojo13

I saw you mentione Ignas Brazdeikis in your comment.

Is Brazdeikis really in Canada's NT plans for the future?

Because our media, basketball federation is saying like this:

Despite playing for Canada's national teams in youth tournaments and not having the Lithuanian citizenship, Brazdeikis's father Sigitas noted that his son's priority was to represent the Lithuania men's national basketball team in international competitions.

Ignas was born in ltu,both of his parents are Lithuanians, his aunt Lina Brazdeikyte was ltu women NT one of main players in late 90s early 00s.

Our federation is declaring in media they would do things to happen for Brazdeikis playing for ltu NT most likely after Tokyo Olympics.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 07-14-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Mojo13

I saw you mentione Ignas Brazdeikis in your comment.

Is Brazdeikis really in Canada's NT plans for the future?
    Mojo knows about this issue less than you do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

No Ben Simmons for Australia. Thatís big time because he was gonna provide some youth into an aging team.
    Damn, that's pretty big. I go 50/50 Australia vs Lithuania now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Damn, that's pretty big. I go 50/50 Australia vs Lithuania now.
    I might favor Lithuania slightly. Your bigs advantage is greater than their advantage in the backcourt in my opinion.

Mojo knows about this issue less than you do.

I know all about the issue. I included Brazdeikis because he is a Canadian citizen, played FIBA for Canada and is a product of Canadian basketball.

Until he actually plays for Lithuania or at least gets citizenship I don’t see why he would not be involved in conversations about Canada’s hypothetical player pool.

Personally I am not sure he will ever be good enough anyways, but I included his name just because he was among the large group of Canadians drafted this year. He did have a surprisingly good Summer League so maybe he could be an NBA player after all.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Personally I am not sure he will ever be good enough anyways, but I included his name just because he was among the large group of Canadians drafted this year.
    In the perspective of Canada maybe (even though I believe a lot if Canada's prospects might go to margins anywhere regarding NT much like Wiggins). There's Barret and plenty others NBA prospects (who are those next to Barret at SF, let's say, in a long perspective?), but Lithuania would gladly add a player with his skillset and I see a possibility him being a steal in the second round. In our BB culture it's different, if Iggy is really Lithuanian, he will have a great loyalty to NT. If we have an NBA or bordeline NBA player, we make a very solid peace for the NT most of the time. You can't say that about Canada to say the least...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In our BB culture it's different, if Iggy is really Lithuanian, he will have a great loyalty to NT. If we have an NBA or bordeline NBA player, we make a very solid peace for the NT most of the time. You can't say that about Canada to say the least...
    Don’t be fooled by the Canadian land mass. It’s a relatively small country. If it were in Europe it would be the 9th largest population. They treat ice hockey like Lithuania treats basketball except they are the clearly the best in the world at it.
    Sports like Lacrosse and Canadian football arguably are more popular than basketball as well. I think their basketball culture is in its infancy stages and growing. It’s actually pretty impressive the amount of talent that they hav recently produced. They put it together on the junior level and won a world championship, now they have to show that it can translate on the senior level.

SF is a funny position for us. As far as traditional SFs are concerned the cupboard is fairly bare - even today we don’t really have many NBA quality SFs. Wiggins and RJ Barrett are really NBA SGs - even Dillon Brooks I think too. But of course they can all play a SF type role (if there even is such a specific need anymore). We we have plenty of very tall and versatile SGs (even PGs/SGs) coming up that should be fine In a three guard line up. Shai Gilgeous Alexander and his cousin Nickeil Alexander Walker. Nik Stauskas too.
    Both Karim Mane and AJ Lawson are projected 1st rounders next year and are guards but in the 6’6 range. Addison Patterson is another big guard NBA prospect as well. Still loads of prospects in the pipeline.

I considered Brazdeikis as more of a undersized PF - too slow and unathletic to play on the wing (in the NBA at least). But maybe he can carve a role. He has surprised at every level so far, so why stop now?

Donít be fooled by the Canadian land mass. Itís a relatively small country. If it were in Europe it would be the 9th largest population. They treat ice hockey like Lithuania treats basketball except they are the clearly the best in the world at it.
    Sports like Lacrosse and Canadian football arguably are more popular than basketball as well. I think their basketball culture is in its infancy stages and growing. Itís actually pretty impressive the amount of talent that they hav recently produced. They put it together on the junior level and won a world championship, now they have to show that it can translate on the senior level.
    And I believe it will take time if happens ever to get close to the levels of true basketball traditions (USA, Lithuania, Serbia, Spain). They produce crazy amount of talent, but how much it will reflect to actual performance level is absolute enigma. First, their players dedication is amateurish, second, they don't have FIBA traditions and differently than you I really think that's the key. In other words all this talent comes on the paper. Bennett, Wiggins and even Murray (yet) and 95% of their current best players didn't leave a tiny mark at true FIBA environment (WC, Olympics). It will be very interesting to see them in WC this year, but if we had Jasikevicius (top notch coach, or still had Kazlauskas) I would be sure we are handling them even with Murray and Wiggins. Now it's tricky, but I'm still rather positive as of yet (apriori WC).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This summer and next summer will tell us a lot about Canada. Will their top guys participate ? And how well will they do ?
    They have about 10 legitimate world level talents and they are all under 30 years old. I think they have a very good chance to be a special team that accomplishes great things in these next two tournaments.

Not long to find out about the commitment level of these young guys. Word is the roster should be released Monday or Tuesday.

No Anthony Davis as I expected for World Cup. Like I predicted once he was traded to the Lakers there was no way he was going to participate. Big time loss for team USA.

Huge loss for sure. I’m wondering if there’ll be any domino effect with him dropping out.

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast