Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: WC 2019 Power Rankings

Rodman would still get them out in time. His diplomacy skills are pretty transferable.

Why do you think that Lithuania is stronger than Greece, Spain or France? In my opinion, the difference is not eminent, but I consider Lithuania to be behind these teams.

Quote Originally Posted by unnamed View Post
    My power ranking for this tournament:
    1. USA
    2. Serbia
    3. Greece/Canada/Spain (equal or very similar in terms of roster strength)
    4. France/Australia/Lithuania (a tiny bit weaker than previous group)

The thing is, differences aren't very obvious as even teams from 4. can beat team USA on a good day (given that USA gives their average game). Its going to be interesting championship.

PS. I actually used one statistical model to get all this but differences between the best team in group 3 and the worst team in group 4 are so weak you can't even put solid line between the two groups.
    France is stronger than Greece and especially Canada.

Exclamation

The Lithuanian basketball news portal Basketnews.lt published these rankings earlier today:

1. United States
    2. Serbia
    3. Greece
    4. Spain
    5. France
    6. Lithuania
    7. Australia
    8. Italy
    9. Germany
    10. Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    The Lithuanian basketball news portal Basketnews.lt published these rankings earlier today:

1. United States
    2. Serbia
    3. Greece
    4. Spain
    5. France
    6. Lithuania
    7. Australia
    8. Italy
    9. Germany
    10. Argentina

Surprisingly accurate to my rankings, only I still think that Spain should swap places with France, despite the bracket shenanigans. I base my opinion on the thought that the places for top 4 teams should not consider the toughness of the bracket, but rather, but rather how likely is for a given team to beat USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigue Beaubois View Post
    Tier 1
    USA

Tier 2
    Serbia

Tier 3
    France
    Spain
    Greece
    Australia
    Lithuania

Tier 4
    Turkey
    Argentina
    Italy
    Germany
    Russia
    Canada

Tier 5
    Montenegro
    Brazil
    Nigeria
    Puerto Rico
    Poland
    Iran
    I think it is time for me to reconsider this ranking, since a lot of things changed over the course of the last 20 days. The draw is also taken into account in this ranking. So, with some small adjustments, this is now my new prediction:

Tier 1
    USA
    Serbia
    USA still a favourite No.1, but the gap between them and Serbia has gotten much smaller.

Tier 2
    France
    Spain
    Greece
    Australia
    Lithuania
    This category stays untouched. I can't see any team outside of these that is capable of getting the medal, so it will probably be decided between these, as well as Serbia and USA. They are in no particular order, although Spain should have an edge because of easy road to SF. I preferred France the most among these before the competition, but they didn't make a great impact on me in these prep games.

Tier 3
    Turkey
    Argentina
    Germany
    Italy
    Nigeria
    Almost every competition has a dark horse, these five teams could be one.

Tier 4
    Canada
    Russia
    Montenegro
    Brazil
    Poland
    Iran
    Puerto Rico
    Bronze medal 2017 Eurobasket prediction Game

I think it is time for me to reconsider this ranking, since a lot of things changed over the course of the last 20 days. The draw is also taken into account in this ranking. So, with some small adjustments, this is now my new prediction:

Tier 1
    USA
    Serbia
    USA still a favourite No.1, but the gap between them and Serbia has gotten much smaller.

Tier 2
    France
    Spain
    Greece
    Australia
    Lithuania
    This category stays untouched. I can't see any team outside of these that is capable of getting the medal, so it will probably be decided between these, as well as Serbia and USA. They are in no particular order, although Spain should have an edge because of easy road to SF. I preferred France the most among these before the competition, but they didn't make a great impact on me in these prep games.

Tier 3
    Turkey
    Argentina
    Germany
    Italy
    Nigeria

Tier 4
    Canada
    Russia
    Montenegro
    Brazil
    Poland
    Iran
    Puerto Rico
    Damn I stay getting hurt...

Tier 1
    USA
    Serbia

Tier 2
    France
    Spain
    Greece
    Australia
    Lithuania

Tier 3
    Turkey
    Argentina
    Germany
    Italy
    Nigeria

Tier 4
    Canada
    Russia
    Montenegro
    Brazil
    Poland
    Iran
    Puerto Rico
    Since you mentioned about dark horses, and definately i agree, we are going to see surprises, who do you think is more capable between them? Nigeria, Germany, Turkey, Italy, Brazil, Poland, China, else? (i exclude Argentina, as they will reach q4 and that won't be a surprise).
    i would have gone with Germany, but still way tough road.
    Now i am more between Turkey and China.

Quote Originally Posted by Valexander View Post
    Since you mentioned about dark horses, and definately i agree, we are going to see surprises, who do you think is more capable between them? Nigeria, Germany, Turkey, Italy, Brazil, Poland, China, else? (i exclude Argentina, as they will reach q4 and that won't be a surprise).
    I think Japan will surprise alot of people. They are a good team, solid center import in Fazekas and Rui Hachimura is an unprecedented NBA talent with future NBA all star potential.

They have beaten Germany and an NBA-less Australia team (Which is still a ridiculously good team).

They play in a tough bracket with USA,Turkey and Czech so I don't see them passing first round but they will turn some heads in the classification rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Valexander View Post
    It's hard to say because the draw has a heavy role. If it wasn't for that, I would also take Germany, they are going under the radar and they have a very solid team. However, their road is extremely difficult, but I wouldn't be that much surprised if they make it to QF. Out of those, I see Nigeria going furthest now. Good roster, the atmosphere has improved, not so challenging draw. Just imagine, if everything goes by plan and Argentina and Nigeria go to QF, they are one game away from SF. In a do or die game, a lot can happen (although whichever team gets Serbia, those chances drop significantly). Turkey is also interesting. Of course, Greece is a big favourite there, but if they beat them, who can say that they are not able to beat any team in the QF?

So, for those teams you mentioned, this is my prediction of probability that they will advance to each round:
    Argentina: R2 75% QF 65% SF 15%
    Nigeria: R2 70% QF 50% SF 10%
    Germany: R2 85% QF 20% SF 2%
    Turkey: R2 80% QF 25% SF 10%
    Italy: R2 85% QF 20% SF 3%
    Brazil: R2 50% QF 5%
    Poland: R2 80% QF 35% SF 1%
    China: R2 66% QF 10%
    Bronze medal 2017 Eurobasket prediction Game

Tier 1
    USA
    Serbia

Tier 2
    France
    Spain
    Greece
    Australia
    Lithuania

Tier 3
    Turkey
    Argentina
    Germany
    Italy
    Nigeria

Tier 4
    Canada
    Russia
    Montenegro
    Brazil
    Poland
    Iran
    Puerto Rico
    Spot on for me. Completely agree with the rankings

There are big 7 teams in this tournament

USA,Serbia,Spain,France, Australia,Greece,Lithuania

If anybody else makes semifinal instantly it would be this tournaments cinderella story

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    There are big 7 teams in this tournament

USA,Serbia,Spain,France, Australia,Greece,Lithuania

If anybody else makes semifinal instantly it would be this tournaments cinderella story
    No love for Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    No love for Germany?
    Germany is a middle tier team even when you dont consider the draw. But they will have to win against at least two of France/Lithuania/Australia/Canada to have a chance to making it to quarterfinals then they have to face USA/Greece/Turkey for the semi-finals. That would be a real cinderalla story

I think people are sleeping on Germany. But I'm curious to myself whether they can match my expectations or not. I think this is a very difficult team to play.

Germanys weaknesses are right now... an unpredictable play maker like Dennis Schröder who is still a big problem especially in decisive moments but his quick first step makes him very valuable though.

The shooters are a problem. Akpinar/Obst are low level player let alone Tada etc.

The bigs right now are ok but not great. Kleber is defensively ok but very restricted in offense. Daniel Theiss is a good all around center but not a Valenciunas. Benzing is very tall for his position and a good shooter but a middle class player.

Germany has a certain deepness and it will become better with the time and with the Wagner Bros and especially Hartenstein is a very very precious big.

Quote Originally Posted by okanial View Post
    Germany is a middle tier team even when you dont consider the draw. But they will have to win against at least two of France/Lithuania/Australia/Canada to have a chance to making it to quarterfinals then they have to face USA/Greece/Turkey for the semi-finals. That would be a real cinderalla story
    Well, Germany did beat Australia in their last friendly match. But I couldn't find any information so I don't know if it was a real game or Boomers just rested most of their top players.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Germanys weaknesses are right now... an unpredictable play maker like Dennis Schröder who is still a big problem especially in decisive moments but his quick first step makes him very valuable though.

The shooters are a problem. Akpinar/Obst are low level player let alone Tada etc.

The bigs right now are ok but not great. Kleber is defensively ok but very restricted in offense. Daniel Theiss is a good all around center but not a Valenciunas. Benzing is very tall for his position and a good shooter but a middle class player.

Germany has a certain deepness and it will become better with the time and with the Wagner Bros and especially Hartenstein is a very very precious big.
    I think that Germany has quite some athletic potential on all positions except the 5 even Theis is a better athlete than he looks. But even in his pre-NBA time he always reminded me more being a PF than a C. There is a SG problem but - If Obst is a bad shooter than Bogdan Bogdanovic is, too. He has 43% for 3 in ACB! If this is bad I don't know what's good.

Benzing is a walking missmatch, he literally destroyed Serbia in Novi Sad, I have been at that game and have never seen a player with this constitution playing SF. Really impressive seeing him live. It's a really funny comparison but I just had one other time that Impression seeing a player live and it was Rudy Gobert in Belgrade.

Zipser, Kleber, Barthel, Theis, Voigtmann, Thiemann, everyone of them is a hard worker, good rebounder and has strong defensive abilities. I consider their biggest problem that both centers are stretch 5s and that, as you mentioned, there is lack of creation without Schroder but I'm really sure that Germany will be the most beautiful surprise of all in China.

A lot of talk about the importance of Harrison Barnes to team USA. Honestly if Kuzma didn’t get hurt i might have cut Barnes. If he outplays the two better wings (Tatum and Middleton) than the USA is in trouble. He’s just not that good of a player and other than outside shooting doesn’t bring much else to the table. The dumbest thing I keep hearing is how he’s the only one with championship experience. Firstly the Gold medal in ‘16 Olympics is silly to bring up because he was the 12th man and never got on the court when it mattered. And his ‘15 NBA title is exaggerated in importance since he was the 5th or 6th best player on that team. People just grab on to stuff and use it even when in reality it makes no sense. Mitchell, Tatum, and Middleton have all played larger roles in big playoff games in the last couple of years. That experience means a lot more than Barnes’ from years ago and especially his Fiba experience.

I think that Germany has quite some athletic potential on all positions except the 5 even Theis is a better athlete than he looks. But even in his pre-NBA time he always reminded me more being a PF than a C. There is a SG problem but - If Obst is a bad shooter than Bogdan Bogdanovic is, too. He has 43% for 3 in ACB! If this is bad I don't know what's good.
    Well you must evaluate germany once with Schröder and one without him on the court. I almost watched all prep games of germany and obst has his days where he adds also some range no question but all the short shooters cant create for themselves. With Schröder attacking the rim they can be fluent but they will stuck without him and if the team stuck somewhere the danger is very high that schröder forces the game.

I could see it also during the prep games. Even though the germans have some bigs with passing skills bigs are still bigs and there is no play maker who could give the ball a direction let alone creating for others.

Of course Benzing is with his 213 cm a walking missmatch as small forward but he is not agile at all. He played in turkey last season and i nearly watched all games of bjk. He has his off days. The game in Novi Sad was like the name a very sad one for serbia. The game was already over for Germany but an elbow check i think it was todorovic during the free throw broke the momentum for Serbia.

Germany can make the quarter but the team will have a big shooting problem and the reaction of schröder will be decisive in important moments. He cant handle pressure well.

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast