Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: WC 2019 Power Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    I admit it's a wild guess, but to me his willingness to participate is rather strange. He pushes so many weight on his back with Rockets, he turns thirty this summer, no other "real" superstars bothered to play (no, Davis is not on Harden level status wise, IMO, and overall as "celebrity"). So I figured there's a decent chance he might eventually turn off NT. It's only WC, why would Harden bother. Also remember how Durrant ran away from NT just seeing George's injury in 2014? That's all I have.
    Yeah....Harden has been 1st Team All-NBA 4 of the last 5 years. Anthony Davis on the other hand only 3 of the last 5 years. Big difference there.
    And Damian Lillard he was only 1st Team All-NBA last year and slipped to 2nd Team All NBA this year that bum. Davis is a better two way player than Harden anyways.

I don't know what other "real" U.S. born NBA superstars that you consider at Harden's level and not on the roster. Curry, Durant, Kawhi...maybe Lebron? No surprise any of them are skipping considering where they are in the post-season and Lebrons health/age. YOu think Paul George wants to play again? He likely has PTSD from FIBA ball.

I'll take Lillard over Westbrook or Paul George anyways. So we have 3 of the top 7 American players on this team and three of the five 1st Team All-NBA players from the 17/18 season.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Yeah....Harden has been 1st Team All-NBA 4 of the last 5 years. Anthony Davis on the other hand only 3 of the last 5 years. Big difference there.
    And Damian Lillard he was only 1st Team All-NBA last year and slipped to 2nd Team All NBA this year that bum. Davis is a better two way player than Harden anyways.

I don't know what other "real" U.S. born NBA superstars that you consider at Harden's level and not on the roster. Curry, Durant, Kawhi...maybe Lebron? No surprise any of them are skipping considering where they are in the post-season and Lebrons health/age. YOu think Paul George wants to play again? He likely has PTSD from FIBA ball.

I'll take Lillard over Westbrook or Paul George anyways. So we have 3 of the top 7 American players on this team and three of the five 1st Team All-NBA players from the 17/18 season.
    Lebron is definitely out. He will work on Space Jam 2.

When I check USA roster I always look how much shooters they bring againts european team zones.And they got full of them in those candidates.

From top 10 USA players today they bring 3 of them Harden,Davis,Lillard it will be enough.

Looking more deeply popovich went with shooting alot i have to say .

I don't see good elite defencem wings on this roster, but who cares they gonna shoot lights out most likely with this roster.One of the reason's most likely why pop invite tough nose wing veteran Tucker
    Last edited by Shawshank; 06-08-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    When I check USA roster I always look how much shooters they bring againts european team zones.And they got full of them in those candidates.

From top 10 USA players today they bring 3 of them Harden,Davis,Lillard it will be enough.

Looking more deeply popovich went with shooting alot i have to say .

I don't see good elite defencem wings on this roster, but who cares they gonna shoot lights out most likely with this roster.One of the reason's most likely why pop invite tough nose wing veteran Tucker
    In the normal NBA, I'd rank defense over offense. But in FIBA, typically if the US can make it a shootout they win 100% of the time, and if they're in a low scoring affair they struggle (Lithuania and Australia have actually been decent at this). So good zone breaking shooters in this instance is more important than lockdown defenders.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    In the normal NBA, I'd rank defense over offense. But in FIBA, typically if the US can make it a shootout they win 100% of the time, and if they're in a low scoring affair they struggle (Lithuania and Australia have actually been decent at this). So good zone breaking shooters in this instance is more important than lockdown defenders.
    add to that, individual defense is not as important than in nba. most national teams use team defense through zone defense. the reason why shooters are more valuable in FIBA games than in NBA.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    add to that, individual defense is not as important than in nba. most national teams use team defense through zone defense. the reason why shooters are more valuable in FIBA games than in NBA.
    Against USA team probably 100% of teams would use other defensive sets than individual defence, maybe except some teams for a short stretch if they can field really good defensive line-up. But in Europe rarely anyone using pure zone defence, usually it's mixed defence adjusting to to the opponent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Team France 15 man prelim roster announced:

Heurtel – Albicy – Ntilikina
    De Colo – Fournier – Lacombe
    Batum – Toupane – L.Cabarrot
    Labeyrie – M’Baye – Moerman
    Gobert – Lessort – Poirier

https://sportando.basketball/en/fran...all-world-cup/

So for it is looking like France, Australia and Lithuania are preparing for China with pretty much full strength roster.

Anyone of importance missing here for France? Lauvergne is injured, Parker and Diaw have retired. Ajinça? Beaubois? Mahinmi? Séraphin? Noah? Or are they all not really good enough?

Who are their likely starter / key rotation? I guessed at a depth chart above.

EDIT - France announced 9 reserve players as well. Reserve players :
    Théo Maledon – Alexandre Chassang - Moustapha Fall – Edwin Jackson – Lahaou Konate – Elie Okobo – Yakuba Ouattara – Léo Westermann – Guerschon Yabusele
    Last edited by mojo13; 06-12-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Anyone of importance missing here for France? Lauvergne is injured, Parker and Diaw have retired. Ajinça? Beaubois? Mahinmi? Séraphin? Noah? Or are they all not really good enough?
    Ajinca played maybe a month during last season. He came back from injury in late January, signed with Asvel in France, but got into conflict with a coach a bit later and was waived. Since then I didn't heard about him
    Beaubois good shooter, but too streaky, also injury prone, there are better options, not really needed IMO
    Seraphin had poor season with Barca, also conflicts with a coach, dissatisfied with his role. Maybe he could've been tried instead Lessort, but maybe coach just chose more calm character for the bench
    Noah didn't play for NT since 2011 probably, always had an excuse, hardly needed now

Causeur maybe would've had a shot of making final roster, has an amazing final part of the season with Real Madrid, but he rejected the offer to join this summer

Rotation, in backcourt obviously it will be Heurtel, De Colo, Fournier, Batum as main 4. Gobert main big, Poirier most likely his substitute. At PF hard to say, Moerman had great season with Efes, so him or Labeyrie will start IMO and share the most minutes

Betting odds have opened, you can treat them like power rankings of the gambling world.

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/ne...avily-favored/

Top 5
    USA
    Serbia
    Spain
    France
    Greece

Australia, Lithuania, Canada (6.7,8)

Hey guys! Long time no see!

Greetings from Bangkok. I will be in China for the WC this year, looking forward to being more active in the forums again.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    Hey guys! Long time no see!

Greetings from Bangkok. I will be in China for the WC this year, looking forward to being more active in the forums again.
    Great to have you back bro. It’s cool that you are there because it might be 2002 all over again for your team.
    I think they can pull it off. Your team at full strength looks stacked.

99.9% chance you can forget Anthony Davis playing in the World Cup now.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Somebody has to cheer for Yagmur The Kofta Shake Master ����

We will see. I think we are peaking now and in Tokyo 2020. After that we will have significant dropoff especially at PF and PG positions

I'm not sure about this, if anything getting his situation solved quickly might make it easier for him to play. It's not like GM Lebron has any issues with playing for Team USA even if he doesn't anymore.

I pretty much have to agree here - LeBron is aging and is desperate to finish his resume with as many rings as possible before he hangs it up for good...and the last thing he wants to see before even regular seaosn starts is his sidekick superstar getting injured while playing internationally lol

And it’s the optics of Klay and Durant getting seriously injured that’s fresh in everyone’s mind. Load management is the new trend. And the World Cup which is not even the Olympics probably qualifies as a load that can be sacraficed.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    Somebody has to cheer for Yagmur The Kofta Shake Master ����

We will see. I think we are peaking now and in Tokyo 2020. After that we will have significant dropoff especially at PF and PG positions

I remember us talking about Jokic a few years back and in my wildest dreams I wouldn’t have predicted he would turn into this. He is a top 10 player in the NBA at his age already. Unbelievable. If you look back at those discussions you’ll see Terrorizer minimizing his abilities and somehow Viktor Khyrapa was mentioned in the same sentence. That’s even more unbelievable. He scares me in a one and done game against the USA. Just look at his monster game 3 years ago against us when he was a baby. Draymond’s excellent defense saved us on a critical possession against him late in the game.

And if Anthony Davis doesn’t participate his absence is a big hit. The trio of Lillard, Harden and Davis rounded out with any combination of the other 20 players on that preliminary roster would have been almost a lock to win this tournament. But now they will still be the heavy favorite but definitely can be beaten in a one and done by Serbia. Honestly I don’t think Spain or France would have enough or Canada if they sent their best possible most talented roster.

I remember us talking about Jokic a few years back and in my wildest dreams I wouldn’t have predicted he would turn into this. He is a top 10 player in the NBA at his age already. Unbelievable. If you look back at those discussions you’ll see Terrorizer minimizing his abilities and somehow Viktor Khyrapa was mentioned in the same sentence. That’s even more unbelievable. He scares me in a one and done game against the USA. Just look at his monster game 3 years ago against us when he was a baby. Draymond’s excellent defense saved us on a critical possession against him late in the game.
    And to be honest that is not even his biggest improvement since 2017, when he really emerged. It's his defensive awareness. He is now a very capable defender overall, with the only issue being mental that sometimes he gets into foul trouble or gets ejected (didn't show up in the playoffs). He moves much better already, even though he can improve his conditioning a lot. He rotates pretty well, managed to zone switch effectively, plays help side well. The issue is still if he gets isolated on high PnR, then I think I can put the guys I am comfortable being there at the center position in the NBA on one hand. It's all up to him now basically, and the injury gods. If he keeps the work ethic and steers of catastrophic injuries, he will challenge Dirk as the best European ever (even though I believe he will never be that level of a scorer, but is much more well-rounded and important to the team).

Regarding Terrorizer, he often has controversial things to say and I don't know why. He is an intelligent guy that sometimes feels a bit bitter about some players and goes out of his way to talk them down.

And if Anthony Davis doesn’t participate his absence is a big hit. The trio of Lillard, Harden and Davis rounded out with any combination of the other 20 players on that preliminary roster would have been almost a lock to win this tournament. But now they will still be the heavy favorite but definitely can be beaten in a one and done by Serbia. Honestly I don’t think Spain or France would have enough or Canada if they sent their best possible most talented roster.
    Serbia has issues that will show up vs Team USA, that were not as aware in the previous competitions we have played in. Just to list a few:

- Teodosic will not have played a competitive basketball game in 8 months by the time we start seeing the friendlies. He is physically in the worst shape I have ever seen him and he shows absolutely no effort to do something about it. A lot of talk by him and journalists that he is taking time to heal up etc. bla bla. The truth is that his injury has healed some time ago and he should be training and getting back into shape with a professional team. That is not happening, to the best of my knowledge. While his tour of restaurants and BBQ joints with buddies is full on He will be a creative powerhouse always, since he has that and will never lose it, but I am quite concerned that his shot will suffer a lot due to his legs. There is still time to get into decent shape, but knowing him, I am not expecting it to happen.

- Jovic is coming off a miserable season and has lost a spot as the No. 2 in PG rotation in my opinion. That is not a big deal in itself, since Micic has emerged and is a much more well-rounded player and one of the best in EL at his position. Still, Teo and Jovic play well together as dual PG lineup which we use a lot and have chemistry over the years. Jovic's defense is key since he mandhandles ball dominant guards, and he was used to hide Teodosic on defense in games when there is facing a monster at his position. Teo and Micic in a lineup, doesn't look that appealing to me to be honest.

- We are thin at PF spot in depth. It has been our weakspot for years though, so this is not a new one. If Bjelica gets injured, or in any way is playing badly, we will have a huge issue at the position. If Bjelica can carry the load with 30 minutes a game at the position, and stay fully healthy, then it's a non issue. The way it looks now, we have no true PFs behind him on the roster. Our 12 man roster will most probably include 3 centers (Jokic, Milutinov, Marjanovic), 6 guards (Teodosic, Micic, Bogdanovic, Nedovic and 2 out of the trio of Guduric, Jovic, Milosavljevic), so that leaves room for 3 forwards (Bjelica, Kalinic, Lucic). So basically Bjelica, and two 3/4 hybrids in Kalinic and Lucic. Since Guduric and Milosavljevic are able to play the SF equally as well as the SG spot, that means these two will have to pick up the slack on the PF spot behind Bjelica, and that is a concern for me vs USA, and I truly hope that Djordjevic doesn't get crazy ideas like playing Jokic next to Milutinov or Bobi

- Coaching. This will be an issue in a game vs USA. I don't trust Djordjevic and I think he has failed in his gameplan in the 2017 Eurobasket Finals, 2015 Eurobasket Semis, as well as both games vs Team USA in the 2014 and 2016 Finals. I have serious doubts that he can put together something that will throw Popovich out of rhythm.

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast