WC 2019 Power Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
    This would be most beatable USA team I can remember.Popovich will take atleast one veteran, you need grown up to put those young athletes on same page.Pop gonna take Tucker or Millsap maybe even both they would give toughness and leadership.And overall that lineup will need tuckers defence, all those guards are all kinds soft ones,no grinders ,who will play defence from those 6 guards ( including Harden?).Most of them have bad reputation on defensive side in NBA.

If you put Harden who played all season PG as SF is really bad with wings in this USA team.

Pop saw with his own eyes in 2004 young athletes is one thing, but when ship is sinking you need grown ups, there were no use of those young athletes LeBron,Wade and Carmelo's in tough moments in 2004.

Middleton playing style in fiba game is good fit.He can be very important in this WC.Such long athletes with deadly shot is nightmare for European teams.
    I agree that they are definitely beatable but are historically the type of teams the US sends to the Worlds.
    2010 on paper looked very beatable as well but Durant and defense won the title. This teams calling card will be
    Dribble penetration and shooting. They have excellent players that can break down the defense finish or kick out to a group of great shooters. I agree defense will be an issue but I don’t see guys like Tucker or Millsap playing a huge role.
    Guys like that might make the team but will not get the serious minutes needed to impact the team.

I think Harden will play the same role he did in ‘14 with Kyrie and Steph Curry. It worked well then and he was team USA’ s best player throughout the tournament in my opinion.

The 2004 teams downfall was not youth it was no outside shooting. Very poorly constructed team. LeBron and Anthony were outside the rotation so they weren’t really relevant. Wade played well as the backup point guard but his lack of shooting along with the rest of the roster did them in.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• It's really funny that AD stated that he is commited to play next year in Olympics. He really expects us to believe that he aint gonna play this year, after a season that he was resting for most of it, but he is gonna be there next summer after having probably an NBA finals run! Yeah, we definately ate it AD :lol

Comment

• Originally posted by the_black_planet View Post
        It's really funny that AD stated that he is commited to play next year in Olympics. He really expects us to believe that he aint gonna play this year, after a season that he was resting for most of it, but he is gonna be there next summer after having probably an NBA finals run! Yeah, we definately ate it AD :lol
        You’re missing the point. Unlike the rest of the world the World Cup/championships doesn’t mean a lot to these players.
        The Olympics on the other hand does. Comparing the two is not even close. He’s basically saying that he’s not closing the door on the Olympics because like you said a long playoff run and health will be major factors. But all things being equal he may participate. Top level A USA stars never have and never will participate in the World’s. Only exceptions historically have been if the star player was in his early 20’s. So don’t put too much stock in what they say months prior especially when it comes to very low prestige tournament like the World Cup. If James Harden participates it will be the first time a player of his stature and age has participated ever for the US.

Comment

• No Andrew Wiggins for Canada. That’s a big loss. He and Jamal Murray would have formed one of the better scoring duos in the entire tournament. If Jamal Murray also drops out Canada is not a serious threat to do anything major. They are not deep enough to miss their two top scoring threats and still achieve great results.

Wiggins like Anthony Davis says he would still consider the Olympic. It’s the American in Andrew coming out. I guess his father former NBA guard Mitchell Wiggins couldn’t convince his son how prestigious and great the Worlds is. He won a silver medal as a collegian playing for the USA in the 1982 tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by usagre View Post
            No Andrew Wiggins for Canada. That’s a big loss. He and Jamal Murray would have formed one of the better scoring duos in the entire tournament. If Jamal Murray also drops out Canada is not a serious threat to do anything major. They are not deep enough to miss their two top scoring threats and still achieve great results.
            Well good news for Lithuania. Now we emphasize Murray at D end and rolling over their bigs at offensive end. Their SF position is also questionable. I treat Lithuania as favourite to win this one.
            LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
            Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
            Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• so what are the power rankings after this latest round of announced absences (simmons, wiggins, davis, etc.)?

maybe

Tier 1
              USA

Tier 2
              Serbia

Tier 3
              Spain
              France
              Lithuania

Tier 4
              Greece
              Australia
              Russia
              Italy
              Canada
              Turkey

Tier 5
              Argentina
              Czech Republic
              Germany
              Brazil
              Last edited by christodoulou76; 07-16-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                Well good news for Lithuania. Now we emphasize Murray at D end and rolling over their bigs at offensive end. Their SF position is also questionable. I treat Lithuania as favourite to win this one.
                Silly.
                You guys vastly over estimate Wiggins - this is likely addition by subtraction. By many advanced stats he is one of the worst players in the NBA.

Any ways....

Comment

• Canada's training camp list:

It is a little confusing as they call it an invite list. Which could be very different from who actually shows up. But with Wiggins not on the list I assume they have gotten feedback from all these guys that they plan to participate.

This is a fantastic list - the only guys here missing arguably in the Top 35 of Canadian players globally is Andrew Wiggins, Andrew Nicholson, Dylan Ennis, Anthony Bennett and maybe Igans Brazdeikis (likely playing for Lithuania). With Wiggins really the only one who'd make a final 12.

Good to see allot of these guys back in the fold like Trey Lyles, Aaron Doornekamp and Andy Rautins - even if they likely don't make the final 12. Nice to see Naz Long sticking with Canada over Greece. Most of the rookies (Barrett, NAW, Clarke, Kabengele, Dort, Shayok) are probably just involved in the camp to get familiar with the national team program and I seriously doubt any are on the final 12 (including Barrett).

I am ecstatic to see this list. It is better than my wildest imagination (assuming they are all really good to go).

And again to the Wiggins comments above - I am doubtful he is in my Top 8 of Canadian players. Or at least he is a huge risk to chemistry and the chance for efficient team oriented basketball. I am perfectly fine with him not participating. This offense will be built around Murray and Kelly Olynyk with great guys in offensive support roles (Powell, SGA, CoJo, Stauskas, Brooks if healthy) - we have some good defensive role players as well in Birch, TT, CoJo.
                  Last edited by mojo13; 07-16-2019, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                    Silly.
                    You guys vastly over estimate Wiggins - this is likely addition by subtraction. By many advanced stats he is one of the worst players in the NBA.

Any ways....
                    I know that, but he surely is a huge threat in a given day you would agree I assume. Advanced NBA stats are different context as well. Some NBA drop outs rock in Euroleague (and wise versa, but you get the point...). To me Wiggins would be a dark horse at FIBA. He can suck and chuck up some untasty shots or he can kill one or another team in a given day.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

And again to the Wiggins comments above - I am doubtful he is in my Top 8 of Canadian players. This offense will be built around Murray and Kelly Olynyk with great guys in support roles.
                      With all respect, Canada better have coherence and deepness because Olynyk is not good enough to be a second option, IMO, for a powerhouse. To me he is soft and however you put it not an impressive name even in the context of some system teams which lacks big stars. I like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Tristan Thompson, obviously plenty other solid players. But to me, it's only Murray that is a true stand-out at the moment, Canada will have to play fundamentally sound basketball to beat one of Lithuania, Australia.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• now i think so, wait for the final rosters

Tier 1 (A clear favorite)
                        USA

Tier 2 (Favorites in medals)
                        Australia
                        Lithuania
                        France
                        Serbia
                        Canada

Tier 3 (can fight for a place in the semi-finals)
                        Spain
                        Greece
                        Italy

Tier 4 (can fight for space in the playoffs)
                        Turkey
                        Argentina
                        Czech Republic
                        Germany
                        Brazil
                        Russia
                        Puerto Rico

Tier 5 (remaining teams for statistics)

Comment

I know that, but he surely is a huge threat in a given day you would agree I assume. Advanced NBA stats are different context as well. Some NBA drop outs rock in Euroleague (and wise versa, but you get the point...). To me Wiggins would be a dark horse at FIBA. He can suck and chuck up some untasty shots or he can kill one or another team in a given day.
                          I just don't think we need to take that risk. We have enough firepower to not need Wiggins maybe having a good game or just as easily losing one for us.

Comment

• Wiggins is such a non-factor even in NBA where an athlete of his physical attributes should be flourishing that his absence is simply an addition by subtraction just like mojo13 said. Canada would be better off filling up their 12 man roster with guys from overseas rather than collecting every single athletic guy and hoping his game would translate to FIBA straight away - that just doesn't happen and international teams are too good nowadays for this kind of experiment (as Team USA can testify from their struggles in the early 00's)

Comment

I just don't think we need to take that risk. We have enough firepower to not need Wiggins maybe having a good game or just as easily losing one for us.
                              Andrew Wiggins at 24 has played 400 NBA games and has averaged 19.5 points on 44% shooting. Guys like that don’t grow on trees and especially are not easily found on FiBA rosters. He has been a disappointment by NBA standards due to the lack of his overall game and the spot he was drafted. But on this team against this competition he would mainly be asked just to score. Mark my words he’ll be there on Olympic team and the team will benefit for it.

But all that said a roster with Murray, Thompson, Olynyk, Gilgeous-Alexander, Joseph and Powell will still be the heavy favorite and my choice to win their group. The problem is if they will all participate. The 29 man list doesn’t make a lot of sense less than 3 weeks from training camp. It should be probably around 18 or so. 29 players are not showing up.

Comment

With all respect, Canada better have coherence and deepness because Olynyk is not good enough to be a second option, IMO, for a powerhouse. To me he is soft and however you put it not an impressive name even in the context of some system teams which lacks big stars. I like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Tristan Thompson, obviously plenty other solid players. But to me, it's only Murray that is a true stand-out at the moment, Canada will have to play fundamentally sound basketball to beat one of Lithuania, Australia.
                                In my defense - I am not calling this a power house team. I'm just really happy with this turnout (if the list is legitimate).
                                This is not the NBA, it is FIBA - a huge step down in competition - where role players like Luis Scola can be superstars. Kelly Olynyk has been that star for Canada in the past and I think his game is ideally suited to FIBA, making him a much bigger threat than in the NBA. He is a high IQ big, who can put the ball to the floor, is an excellent passer and fantastic outside shooter. He is certainly not soft - he is actually fairly hard nosed and pretty rough and tumble under the hoop (ask Kevin Love), he is not a great athlete compared to NBA bigs so he compensates with wily, near, borderline rough stuff like many Euro players do in the NBA. He certainly can be hot/cold in the NBA often having a great run of 6-8 games and then going quiet for the same amount. Any ways - I won't try too much to convince you - maybe check out his games last summer during the qualifiers. He completely dominated Brazil with 20 points, 19 rebounds, four steals and three assists (I guess that is not saying much nowadays with Brazil).

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information