Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: WC 2019 Power Rankings

Simmons can do whatever the hell he wants - he was just offered a 170 mil contract by his NBA club and I assume the management of that franchise doesn't want to take any risks with a guy who is paid that friggin much in a dodgy FIBA game...These highly paid guys carve out their own legacies and and history and if Simmons wants to improve his jumpshot in the summer instead of being a patriotic dumbass for his native Australia, then so be it

No Thompson for Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    No Thompson for Canada
    Another Rich Paul client. Perhaps that’s just a coincidence though.

Quote Originally Posted by cagney View Post
    Another Rich Paul client. Perhaps that’s just a coincidence though.
    That’s a big hit for Canada but like I said to me none of this is unexpected. We will see more before August. And then you will also have training period bumps and bruises that could lead to more eventual absences. The Rich Paul factor might not be a coincidence. It’s his job to advise his clients and honestly it’s probably sound advice to skip these tournaments. But the final decision lies with the individual player and how much he values participating in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    That’s a big hit for Canada but like I said to me none of this is unexpected. We will see more before August. And then you will also have training period bumps and bruises that could lead to more eventual absences. The Rich Paul factor might not be a coincidence. It’s his job to advise his clients and honestly it’s probably sound advice to skip these tournaments. But the final decision lies with the individual player and how much he values participating in the end.

I hope the Klutch thing is just a coincidence as Cory Joseph and Trey Lyles are Klutch clients as well.

Yes this hurts and I'd like TT to be there, but this is not that big of a loss as you may think. It might actually prove to be a blessing in disguise provided that it's not the start of an avalanche). TT is at the position and is the big that we could most afford to lose. Kelly, Powell, and Birch are better players than TT at this stage of their respective careers. Many of us have been advocating that Khem Birch does everything TT can do and better at this point in time. TT has been banged up allot an comes with too many distractions. Because of legacy TT was given the nod over Khem Birch last summer and because of that Birch was relegated to a very minor role. This clears up that problem.
    Assuming Melvin Ejim was the 5th big (KO, Powell, Birch, TT, Ejim) - this also gives a chance to bring in another younger big into the system. Hopefully Trey Lyles (only 23) who hasnt been involved with Team Canada at all in many years (since the youth days). Or maybe Chris Boucher, who could be a really good fit for FIBA ball (but is too frail defend the Lithuanian bigs). Or maybe this opens the door for Brandon Clarke who is a very tantalizing player - but as I said, I really doubt any rookies will play.

Thompson ranks second last in all of the NBA for Cs in Real +/- Powell/Birch will bring a lot of the same things Thompson can bring to the table and much more. Khem Birch was the best in the league in paint protection behind only Rudy Gobert from Jan 2019 to the end of the season, and Dwight Powell has been once of the best rim running, PnR bigs in the NBA the last couple years and among the league leaders in efficiency (#1 in TS%, #8 in WS/48, #20 in OWS, #24 in BPM, #33 in WS, #36 in PER) . This seems underappreciated, by even most Canadian fans.

This isn't like losing Murray, Olynyk, CoJo, Powell or SGA. But I really hope there are no more to pull out (even though I expect it with Brooks). Another factor to consider is the games are spread out with rest days - we can run a top 3 bigs fairly hard without needing to worry too much about rest. In the 2015 FIBA Americas we played 8 games in 9 days (thanks FIBA) and when, by the end with guys ending up in the hospital with food poisoning, more than a few guys ran out of gas.
    Last edited by mojo13; 07-19-2019 at 04:23 PM.

@Mojo13

Even though Davis, Simmons and Thompson were all Rich Paul clients, they also had contract situations.
    Thompson is on an expiring deal this year. So that probably the main factor. I doubt Lyles or Joseph pull out but if they both do then the sample size is too great and it has to be all about the agent and his advice.

@Mojo13

Even though Davis, Simmons and Thompson were all Rich Paul clients, they also had contract situations.
    Thompson is on an expiring deal this year. So that probably the main factor. I doubt Lyles or Joseph pull out but if they both do then the sample size is too great and it has to be all about the agent and his advice.
    Thompson was also dealing with injuries much of last season and is coming into a contract year right when the market for bigs with no outside shooting has completely dried up. If there was ever a summer to try to re-invent your game, this is it.

I'm not bitter - I totally get it and don't feel these guys owe us something to play. I am more glass is half full with these players and celebrate the guys that do show up. However I clearly I like to try to convince my self the guys who don't show up don't really matter as you can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post

I'm not bitter - I totally get it and don't feel these guys owe us something to play. I am more glass is half full with these players and celebrate the guys that do show up. However I clearly I like to try to convince my self the guys who don't show up don't really matter as you can tell.
    Ha ha. Yeah I picked up on that. For me Thompson and Wiggins are two of your best 7 guys so it hurts.
    I would like to see team Canada at 100% capacity just once. I guess the next opportunity could be the ‘20 Olympics.

T.Thompson was main player that I thought could hold 1 Vs 1 strength wise against Valanciunas.He had that nastiest in him to literally fight anyone

Canada will need big and really strong guys when go up againts Baynes,Bogut,Valanciunas, Sabonis type centers in the group.

Harden will not play in wc.This USA I really believe can be beaten in good shooting day for some elite team they will face.

Too much young and inexperience athletes.If Lillard is best USA player, somehow he doesn't put fear in your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Harden will not play in wc.This USA I really believe can be beaten in good shooting day for some elite team they will face.

Too much young and inexperience athletes.If Lillard is best USA player, somehow he doesn't put fear in your heart.
    shocking that the guy with the highest usage rate in the NBA will not play at the WC. guard positions still look very strong for US

If the US doesn't lose this year, I'm not sure when it happens. Dame and Kemba Walker look like the best two players. I like both guys but that's not intimidating at all.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

US probably still won't lose as other elite national teams are losing their stars at a similar rate
    And if some team somehow comes close to upsetting them, I fully expect them to choke anyway

The US has always fielded a B or C level team at the Worlds. No Harden and Davis is no surprise to me. The surprise was that some people actually thought they would compete. Even China as a host country and all its marketing opportunities couldn’t change that.

1-2 D. Lillard, K. Walker, D. Mitchell

2-3. B. Beal, CJ. McCollum

3-4. T. Harris, K. Middleton, J. Tatum, K. Kuzma

4-5. K. Love, A. Drummond, M. Turner

This should be enough to win it all. But won’t be easy like ‘14 and ‘10.
    Full strength Serbia a very serious threat.

The US has always fielded a B or C level team at the Worlds. No Harden and Davis is no surprise to me. The surprise was that some people actually thought they would compete. Even China as a host country and all its marketing opportunities couldn’t change that.
    It was probably wishful thinking on my part to point out incentives for players to participate. They may very well have played a factor in why some of these players were on the preliminary roster to begin with but clearly other factors have changed things. It’s not really a shock but it’s still disappointing.

I hope Popovich has a good plan for getting the best out of whatever group he ends up with. They have some tough exhibition matches lined up so if there are early struggles we’ll need to see if they can overcome them.

1-2 D. Lillard, K. Walker, D. Mitchell

2-3. B. Beal, CJ. McCollum

3-4. T. Harris, K. Middleton, J. Tatum, K. Kuzma

4-5. K. Love, A. Drummond, M. Turner

This should be enough to win it all. But won’t be easy like ‘14 and ‘10.
    Full strength Serbia a very serious threat.
    Embarrasing .Man i knew none of these superstars that had commited would play in the end.Makes you wonder why they commit in the first place.The thing is we've come full circle for team USA again.We're at the point where there is no interest from good players to join after years of domination.Just like in 2002.The good news for team USA.International teams are not as good as in early 2000s..Euro teams especially are in huge decline.Bad news for team USA.I see no emerging amaerican star like Durant in 2010 or Curry,Thompson,Harden,Irving in 2014 to lead them..Tatum and Kuzma?Give me a break

A common mistake we often make in these tournaments is to compare team USA against previous versions. They are not playing against those teams. So honestly how weak or strong they are in relation is irrelevant. It’s all bout their competition and they are still the clear favorite, with Serbia being a clear second choice. France and Spain are after that but a few tiers below in my opinion. And after that any other team should not realistically be a serious contender to win it all.
    I would place odds like this:

USA 65%
    Serbia 25%
    France, Spain 5% each
    Others. 0%

@ Jon Koncak

Yeah but when it comes to the Worlds this has always been the team USA model. The rosters always a lot weaker than Olympics. Just go through the list 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014. Some of the players look like huge superstar names now but at the time they were in their early 20’s. Other than a 21 year old Durant the 2010 team that won it all was extremely weak.
    This team will be equal or better than 2002 and 2010. Maybe slightly worse than 2006 but not by a lot, and significantly worse than 2014. There’s just no juice in this country for this tournament. I keep telling everyone there never was and there never will be. You just can’t manufacture it.

A common mistake we often make in these tournaments is to compare team USA against previous versions. They are not playing against those teams. So honestly how weak or strong they are in relation is irrelevant. It’s all bout their competition and they are still the clear favorite, with Serbia being a clear second choice. France and Spain are after that but a few tiers below in my opinion. And after that any other team should not realistically be a serious contender to win it all.
    I would place odds like this:

USA 65%
    Serbia 25%
    France, Spain 5% each
    Others. 0%
    Still don't understand why Australia gets so underestimated here. They look to have a cohesive mostly intact core from the 2016 Olympics with an infusion of new talent. In 2016 they showed themselves to be better than France, who has now lost much of its leadership, and on par with a Spain that has further aged out. Maybe Australia doesn't have the upside that France or Spain has to give them small chance to win it all? However in a head to head match-up Australia could be favored against either.

By the way - Brazil announced their 15 man camp list a few days back and nobody noticed (maybe for a reason).

Alex Garcia
    Anderson Varejao
    Augusto Lima
    Bruno Caboclo
    Cristiano Felicio
    Jhonatan Luz dos Santos
    Leandro Babosa
    Lucas Dias Silva
    Marcelo Huertas
    Marcos Louzada
    Marcus Vieira Rafael
    Freire Luz
    Rafael Hettsheimeir
    Vitor Benite
    Yago Mateus dos Santos

Seems to be missing Raul Neto, Nene and anyone else?
    Looks like reinforcements in Bruno Caboclo and Cristiano Felicio. Bruno in particular ended his NBA season looking a half decent player.
    Last edited by mojo13; 07-19-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast