Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Southeast Asian Games (Nov 30-Dec 11, 2019) Manila/Subic/Clark

Quote Originally Posted by OweenPH View Post
    Send these players instead to hone their skills further. They can still beat the top national players from Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore or even Thailand and Vietnam.
    Kai Sotto (ADMU)
    Carl Tamayo (NU)
    RJ Abarrientos (FEU)
    Gerry Abadiano (NU)
    Terrence Fortea (NU)
    Joem Sabandal (AdU)
    Kevin Quiambao (NU)
    Forthsky Padrigao (ADMU)
    Geo Chiu (ADMU)

Add AJ Edu, Ricci Rivero and Kobe Paras plus Thirdy Ravena.
    Lol.

Theres a good chance Thailand and Indonesia will win against these kids. Even Singapore might be able to win.

No to Padrigao, goodbye to the medal if that happens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    While some people would say things like "We need to send no less than our best players for the SEA Games specially since we are the host. We need to assure that we retain the gold medal in basketball...blah, blah, blah" (And these fellas sound like "trapos" or traditional politicians), to the real Philippine basketball fans who want nothing but the betterment of Philippine basketball, SEA Games basketball should be a venue or opportunity to expose the young talents.

I read comments from posters here who advocate on giving a slot or two of our elite Gilas team to young players (players in the late teens or early 20's age bracket). I say we give majority of slots of our SEA Games-bound National team to those young players. I think those lower level international tournaments should be the proper venue in developing our younger players.
    I think this has always been the problem with our basketball culture in general. We step-down to the level of our opponents. We do not plan to win. We plan to entertain. Maybe this is good, maybe this is bad. Maybe we'll learn if we lose.

If we really want these kids to grow and learn, why don't we send them to training camps abroad? Maybe putting a medal on the line is not worth the experience? Maybe being humiliated at home is a not a good lesson to teach?

But hey that's what happened in Mindanao, and Luneta right? It's always about entertainment and not national pride.

If possible, core should be from non-PBA 23 for 2023 list and add available potential addition to that team. So that should be:
    1gdl, matt nieto, thirdy, tuffin, ambohot, paras, sinclair, tolentino, sotto, go, tamayo, carino, gozum, and rike.

Thats 13 players already. Not relying to pba or someone from outside the country to fly in. If someone gets drafted before this, then just replace those. Why make a list if wr wont use it?
    WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
    SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

I really think Santillan and Baltazar should be part of this list. Santi should havr completed his collegiate career by this time so even if he gets called should be good for the team.

had to insert that Dave Ildefonso should be somewhere there as well.
    Last edited by C2Hamm; 03-20-2019 at 12:09 AM.
    WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
    SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Everytime a SEA Games competition is about to be held, people would say "Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore basketball teams have improved a lot. Our team would be in grave danger if we don't send our best players out there".

Grave danger my arse! I've been following Philippine basketball for almost 30 years now, and the only time we lost the SEA Games basketball gold medal was in the 1989 SEA Games. Since then, we have lorded it over everybody in this region where the level of competition is admittedly low. Yes, there were games/times when our team would be threatened & seemed to be in danger of losing a game in the SEA Games. But those usually happen when our team lacks preparation. Those happen when we underestimate our opponents. Everytime our SEA Games team has good preparation, its almost an easy sailing for us even if our team is composed of amateur players.

Yes, I agree, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia & Singapore have been improving, specially with the existence of the ASEAN Basketball League. But Philippine basketball have been improving as well as far as performance in international tournaments is concerned. The degree of improvement in basketball of our ASEAN neighbors is nowhere near the degree of improvement Philippine basketball has achieved in the last 8 years or so.

My take here is that, we really don't need PBA superstars/stars to comprise the majority of the players for the SEA Games team. I say we get only about 4 PBA stars/superstars -Standhardinger, Abueva, Wright & Parks, then we add some PBA rookies -CJ Perez, Bolick, Tratter, and the current top amateur or college players -Thirdy Ravena, 1GDL, Dave Ildefonso, Kobe Paras, Kai Sotto, Matt Nieto, Isaac Go, etc.

With enough time of preparation & some quality tune-up games, this team will be a very formidable team in the SEA Games.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

The problem is that, because of the option that it would a PBA-select National team that would represent us in the SEA Games, PBA is compelled to adjust its schedule drastically. Already facing the burden of having to adjust its schedule to give way to Gilas' preparation & participation in the 2019 FIBA World Cup, the PBA's next season might probably open as late as March next year. Imagine such burden & drastic adjustment.

That is too much of a burden for the PBA for a "mediocre" basketball tournament in the SEA Games. Its not worth such degree of adjustment.

Honestly, who among us here at IBN really care about the basketball competition in the SEA Games? I would be interested to watch it only if a No. of "young" players (the current cadet players) are in the team.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Why not make the PCCL champion the PH representative to SEA Games? (Plus some loaned players from PBA in case may imports yung collegiate team). Nang magkaroon naman ng saysay ang PCCL lol.
    Last edited by leoisiah; 03-20-2019 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leoisiah View Post
    Why not make the PCCL champion the PH representative to SEA Games? (Plus some loaned players from PBA in case may imports yung collegiate team). Nang magkaroon naman ng saysay ang PCCL lol.
    Don't we have a program for the SEA games already? Last time, it was Paras et al.

Why not just get the alab locals to play for the sea games+ best standout college players+ Douthit(If hes still ard). Should be enough to win although wont be any blowouts.

Maybe one or two ineligibles will do it. Either from alab or dubai sports

Send Kobe, Ricci etc and get chooks to go as the sponsor. Kobe could jump over someone during the half time break

If Kai can play I think this would be his best debut for the senior team (although it's not FIBA sanctioned)Since Edu and Millora Brown will not be available then maybe we can avail the services of some PBA players (Standhardinger,Slaughter,Erram,Almazan) some of the Cadets (Thirdy,Go,Paras,De Liano) and Fil Foreign prospects (future PBA prospects) from ABL and Mighty Sports (McKinney,Gray,Adams,Brickman,Holt).
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

SEA Games basketball back at it's original venue (MOA Area) while the Fil-Oil Flying V. Arena will host the 3x3

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/moa-a...2437-20190320-

Whoever wins the Chooks To Go 3x3 Championship is enough for us to win the SEA Games 3x3 gold
    Last edited by hmbopbaduwap; 03-20-2019 at 10:48 AM.

D-League and college players are enough for me
    23 for 2023 players:
    Rike
    Ambohot
    Go
    Paras
    Santillan
    Tolentino
    Tuffin
    Ravena
    Rivero
    De Liano

plus: Baltazar and Munzon (Naturalized)

I don't think that line-up can beat seasoned veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by tootch View Post
    23 for 2023 players:
    Rike
    Ambohot
    Go
    Paras
    Santillan
    Tolentino
    Tuffin
    Ravena
    Rivero
    De Liano

tab baldwin as head coach.
    pwede na siguro.hehehe
    Indiana Pacers (bcoz of PG13)
    San Antonio Spurs
    TaMs

Let's hope the POC gets their act together. Would be nice to have the SEA Games in the homeland with thousands of Pinoys cheering in the stands.

https://wethepvblic.com/ph-lose-sea-games-rights/

Quote Originally Posted by tootch View Post
    23 for 2023 players:
    Rike
    Ambohot
    Go
    Paras
    Santillan
    Tolentino
    Tuffin
    Ravena
    Rivero
    De Liano

what's the need of naturalizing a player that could pass off as a local in the SEA games? We may put 12 ineligible players there and they will easily pass off as locals as long as they currently have PHL passports.

This lineup is not foolproof since there will be a big chance that Thailand will tap the services of both Lamb and Morgan.With a very solid team coming from the Mono Vampire club team.Who knows, in the future they may even opt to naturalize Mike Singletary or Romeo Travis.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    what's the need of naturalizing a player that could pass off as a local in the SEA games? We may put 12 ineligible players there and they will easily pass off as locals as long as they currently have PHL passports.

This lineup is not foolproof since there will be a big chance that Thailand will tap the services of both Lamb and Morgan.With a very solid team coming from the Mono Vampire club team.Who knows, in the future they may even opt to naturalize Mike Singletary or Romeo Travis.
    macedonian si travis hehe
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast