No announcement yet.

2019 Southeast Asian Games (Nov 30-Dec 11, 2019) Manila/Subic/Clark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We should limit the Hagop disqualified players as well as veterans that will not be picked for other international competions. Add some youth there for development. Some people are still considering Calvin for SF in lieu of Thirdy. Let's see him play SF in the SEA games.

PBA:
    PF/C - CS, Almazan, Tratter
    SF - Abueva, Mocon
    SG - Wright, Pessumal
    PG- Tenorio, Thompson

Amateurs:
    PF/C - Baltazar, Santillan
    SF - Ravena, Idelfonso
    SG- Rivero
    PG - Nieto

Comment

No PBA players,No problem

me thinks this non PBA lineup will be enough to beat any team in the SEA games with a 30 point cushion.Let those unfortunate FIBA ineligible players play for the Philippines along with probably some of the eligible youngsters.With a month or so preparation of at least 90% roster,they may even beat a PBA team with this lineup,this lineup may even compete against the best Asian teams.

Bigs: Edu 6'11,Millora-Brown 6'10 (you have to invite this kid),Sotto 7'2, Go 6'8

Wings: Brownlee 6'7(naturalized player),Paras 6'6, Gray 6'6

Guards: T.Ravena 6'3, Adams 6'5, Gomez De Liano 6'1, Martin 6" (has to be invited), Nieto 5'11

other players to be considered: Tamayo 6'8, R.Cortez 6'8, Ildefonso 6'5, Rivero 6'2, Panopio 6'1, Holt 6'4, Brickman 6, Fenner 6'6, McKinney 6'1(this guy is a second coming of Chris Ross,maybe even better)

Head Coach: Tab Baldwin
      Assistant Coach: Charles Tiu
      Last edited by Alex07; 03-03-2019, 07:38 AM.
      "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

Here's hoping that the a 50 million Baht bounty, plus Morgan + Lamb won't result to a Thai upset at home.

What will be the impact of having our amateur team win? And what will be the impact if they lose?

Comment

Originally posted by j_diddy View Post
          Here's hoping that the a 50 million Baht bounty, plus Morgan + Lamb won't result to a Thai upset at home.

What will be the impact of having our amateur team win? And what will be the impact if they lose?
          In the words of Peping Cojuangco back in the days of the Paranaque Jets, "Bibitayin tayo ng mga Pilipino pag natalo tayo rito [sa Southeast Asia]. The Filipinos will lynch us if we lose in SEA."

As long as the selected team for the SEA Games don't end up as bad as the Paranaque Jets, then it's okay to add a few young players to the roster, maybe half the team tops, for player development.
          Originally posted by gideon
          Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by judasmartel View Post

As long as the selected team for the SEA Games don't end up as bad as the Paranaque Jets, then it's okay to add a few young players to the roster, maybe half the team tops, for player development.
            There's nothing wrong in pushing for the development of our amateurs. We should be good risk managers however. It seems like we have this frustrating trait where we take things lightly and experiment. "Bahala na" as they say.

We need to have a killer attitude, fight disproportionately, and bring our A-Game. This is the art of war.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
              I don't see any reason to celebrate winning the SEA Games basketball gold with a PBA-select national team. Such feat won't even deserve a toast from my basketball crazy "kainuman".
              I agree that the feeling won't be the same if the pros win it for us. But what is the point of competition? Is it to pity your opponents and make sure that they don't feel that bad? Or is it about excellence and leaving no stone unturned.

I may get a lot of flak for saying this but this kind of reminds of how our local commanders screwed up in planning for the Mamasaparo and the Luneta Hostage Crisis. Kaya na yan they said. ��

Comment

Originally posted by j_diddy View Post
                I agree that the feeling won't be the same if the pros win it for us. But what is the point of competition? Is it to pity your opponents and make sure that they don't feel that bad? Or is it about excellence and leaving no stone unturned.

I may get a lot of flak for saying this but this kind of reminds of how our local commanders screwed up in planning for the Mamasaparo and the Luneta Hostage Crisis. Kaya na yan they said. ��
                The feeling of winning using a pro team won’t be as good as winning with an amateur team, but you can bet that fallout of losing with an amateur team will be pretty bad. Knowing how some of the casuals are, they’ll spam the internet with comments like “This wasn’t our main team etc...”

We should just continue what we’ve been doing and form a team that is made up of both college and PBA players.

Comment

While some people would say things like "We need to send no less than our best players for the SEA Games specially since we are the host. We need to assure that we retain the gold medal in basketball...blah, blah, blah" (And these fellas sound like "trapos" or traditional politicians), to the real Philippine basketball fans who want nothing but the betterment of Philippine basketball, SEA Games basketball should be a venue or opportunity to expose the young talents.

I read comments from posters here who advocate on giving a slot or two of our elite Gilas team to young players (players in the late teens or early 20's age bracket). I say we give majority of slots of our SEA Games-bound National team to those young players. I think those lower level international tournaments should be the proper venue in developing our younger players.
                  "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Originally posted by OweenPH View Post
                    Send these players instead to hone their skills further. They can still beat the top national players from Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore or even Thailand and Vietnam.
                    Kai Sotto (ADMU)
                    Carl Tamayo (NU)
                    RJ Abarrientos (FEU)
                    Gerry Abadiano (NU)
                    Terrence Fortea (NU)
                    Joem Sabandal (AdU)
                    Kevin Quiambao (NU)
                    Forthsky Padrigao (ADMU)
                    Geo Chiu (ADMU)

Add AJ Edu, Ricci Rivero and Kobe Paras plus Thirdy Ravena.
                    Lol.

Theres a good chance Thailand and Indonesia will win against these kids. Even Singapore might be able to win.

Comment

No to Padrigao, goodbye to the medal if that happens.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                        While some people would say things like "We need to send no less than our best players for the SEA Games specially since we are the host. We need to assure that we retain the gold medal in basketball...blah, blah, blah" (And these fellas sound like "trapos" or traditional politicians), to the real Philippine basketball fans who want nothing but the betterment of Philippine basketball, SEA Games basketball should be a venue or opportunity to expose the young talents.

I read comments from posters here who advocate on giving a slot or two of our elite Gilas team to young players (players in the late teens or early 20's age bracket). I say we give majority of slots of our SEA Games-bound National team to those young players. I think those lower level international tournaments should be the proper venue in developing our younger players.
                        I think this has always been the problem with our basketball culture in general. We step-down to the level of our opponents. We do not plan to win. We plan to entertain. Maybe this is good, maybe this is bad. Maybe we'll learn if we lose.

If we really want these kids to grow and learn, why don't we send them to training camps abroad? Maybe putting a medal on the line is not worth the experience? Maybe being humiliated at home is a not a good lesson to teach?

But hey that's what happened in Mindanao, and Luneta right? It's always about entertainment and not national pride.

Comment

If possible, core should be from non-PBA 23 for 2023 list and add available potential addition to that team. So that should be:
                          1gdl, matt nieto, thirdy, tuffin, ambohot, paras, sinclair, tolentino, sotto, go, tamayo, carino, gozum, and rike.

Thats 13 players already. Not relying to pba or someone from outside the country to fly in. If someone gets drafted before this, then just replace those. Why make a list if wr wont use it?
                          WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
                          SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

I really think Santillan and Baltazar should be part of this list. Santi should havr completed his collegiate career by this time so even if he gets called should be good for the team.

had to insert that Dave Ildefonso should be somewhere there as well.
                            Last edited by C2Hamm; 03-20-2019, 12:09 AM.
                            WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
                            SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

Everytime a SEA Games competition is about to be held, people would say "Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore basketball teams have improved a lot. Our team would be in grave danger if we don't send our best players out there".

Grave danger my arse! I've been following Philippine basketball for almost 30 years now, and the only time we lost the SEA Games basketball gold medal was in the 1989 SEA Games. Since then, we have lorded it over everybody in this region where the level of competition is admittedly low. Yes, there were games/times when our team would be threatened & seemed to be in danger of losing a game in the SEA Games. But those usually happen when our team lacks preparation. Those happen when we underestimate our opponents. Everytime our SEA Games team has good preparation, its almost an easy sailing for us even if our team is composed of amateur players.

Yes, I agree, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia & Singapore have been improving, specially with the existence of the ASEAN Basketball League. But Philippine basketball have been improving as well as far as performance in international tournaments is concerned. The degree of improvement in basketball of our ASEAN neighbors is nowhere near the degree of improvement Philippine basketball has achieved in the last 8 years or so.

My take here is that, we really don't need PBA superstars/stars to comprise the majority of the players for the SEA Games team. I say we get only about 4 PBA stars/superstars -Standhardinger, Abueva, Wright & Parks, then we add some PBA rookies -CJ Perez, Bolick, Tratter, and the current top amateur or college players -Thirdy Ravena, 1GDL, Dave Ildefonso, Kobe Paras, Kai Sotto, Matt Nieto, Isaac Go, etc.

With enough time of preparation & some quality tune-up games, this team will be a very formidable team in the SEA Games.
                              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

The problem is that, because of the option that it would a PBA-select National team that would represent us in the SEA Games, PBA is compelled to adjust its schedule drastically. Already facing the burden of having to adjust its schedule to give way to Gilas' preparation & participation in the 2019 FIBA World Cup, the PBA's next season might probably open as late as March next year. Imagine such burden & drastic adjustment.

That is too much of a burden for the PBA for a "mediocre" basketball tournament in the SEA Games. Its not worth such degree of adjustment.

Honestly, who among us here at IBN really care about the basketball competition in the SEA Games? I would be interested to watch it only if a No. of "young" players (the current cadet players) are in the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information