Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Southeast Asian Games (Nov 30-Dec 11, 2019) Manila/Subic/Clark

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    In coming up with the line-up for the SEA Games, SBP must find the right balance between winnability & player development.

We can send our very best team, which is the Gilas elite team, for the SEA Games & we are almost 100% assured of winning the basketball gold medal. But at what cost? We will only tire out our Gilas elite players for this option & we won't be able to develop the younger players.

I say we send a cadet team reinforced by 4 PBA stars/superstars (Standhardinger, Almazan, Abueva, Matt Wright). I think this is the right balance between winnability & player development. Plus we spare our battle-scarred Gilas elite players from further burden.
    I would give some slots to guys who didnt get to national team and win sea games in 2005.. Arwind Santos, Alex Cabagnot and Joe Devance... Filams who never don gilas jersey due to eligibility like Ross and Chris Newsome. We need guys that would stop the likes of Tyler Lamb, Moses Morgan and Brandon Jawato..

If not send the guys who wil be sending on the first window of fiba asia cup qualifiers
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    I like the idea of putting in PBA players and amateurs. The idea should be most of these players have the potential be part of other future international tourneys as locals or naturalized players. With this, the Hagop disqualified players should be limited. Here's my list:

PBA:
    PF/C- Standhardinger, Almazan, Tratter
    SF - Mocon
    SG - Pessumal, Perez, Bollick
    PG - Romeo, Thompson, Kiefer

Amateurs:
    PF/C: Baltazar, Santillan,
    SF: T. Ravena, Idelfonso
    SG: JGDL, Rivero
    PG: Nieto
    I hope Stephen Holt and DJ Fenner could also be part of the pool(if schedule permits), those dudes are such a talent and I think convincing them to play in front of their fellow countrymen would be a great experience for them.

Standhardinger
    Almazan
    Belga
    Sotto
    Tamayo

Paras
    Ravena
    Perez
    Romeo
    Pringle
    Ildefonso
    1GDL
    Last edited by athangonzales; 02-28-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Send these players instead to hone their skills further. They can still beat the top national players from Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore or even Thailand and Vietnam.
    Kai Sotto (ADMU)
    Carl Tamayo (NU)
    RJ Abarrientos (FEU)
    Gerry Abadiano (NU)
    Terrence Fortea (NU)
    Joem Sabandal (AdU)
    Kevin Quiambao (NU)
    Forthsky Padrigao (ADMU)
    Geo Chiu (ADMU)

Add AJ Edu, Ricci Rivero and Kobe Paras plus Thirdy Ravena.

Are all of us here in this thread in agreement that there's really no need to send our Gilas "elite" team in the 2019 SEA Games?

Are we in agreement here that in as much as we would want to defend our SEA Games basketball gold medal, player development should also be part of the equation therefore its also logical that we include a good No. of amateur or young players (PBA young players) in the team?
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Are all of us here in this thread in agreement that there's really no need to send our Gilas "elite" team in the 2019 SEA Games?

Are we in agreement here that in as much as we would want to defend our SEA Games basketball gold medal, player development should also be part of the equation therefore its also logical that we include a good No. of amateur or young players (PBA young players) in the team?
    Half from 23 for 23 guys, pba rookies (perez, bolick, parks jr.) Plus some bigs from PBA (JF, Erram,CS) . Kai can be included if schedule permits him..

Quote Originally Posted by OweenPH View Post
    Send these players instead to hone their skills further. They can still beat the top national players from Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore or even Thailand and Vietnam.
    Quote Originally Posted by OweenPH View Post
    Kai Sotto (ADMU)
    Carl Tamayo (NU)
    RJ Abarrientos (FEU)
    Gerry Abadiano (NU)
    Terrence Fortea (NU)
    Joem Sabandal (AdU)
    Kevin Quiambao (NU)
    Forthsky Padrigao (ADMU)
    Geo Chiu (ADMU)

Add AJ Edu, Ricci Rivero and Kobe Paras plus Thirdy Ravena.
    TBH, with the lineup you've given, I say you are not in touch with reality of SEAG Basketball. The kids you've mentioned will hardly be able to "still beat" these SEAG NT teams.

If the tenor is that -- they MAY be able to beat and possibly stay competitive with these teams then I may agree with you.
    Nonetheless, it would be great to send these kids to the SEAG as this can be considered their World Cup of some sort for high school students.

The idea of sending an all-amateur team seems nice. But we cannot risk losing at home.

I remember Tab having the scare of his life the last time we sent the crew of Ravena and Douthit to the SEA Games.

Defeat is not an option and we should not risk it at home.

This is my line up:

Go, Kouame, Baltazar, Rike, Tolentino, Santillan, Ravena, Cansino, ildefonso, jgdl, Martin, Nonoy.

13. Kai, 14. Edu, 15. Tamayo
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

Quote Originally Posted by j_diddy View Post
    The idea of sending an all-amateur team seems nice. But we cannot risk losing at home.

I remember Tab having the scare of his life the last time we sent the crew of Ravena and Douthit to the SEA Games.

Defeat is not an option and we should not risk it at home.
    Only because we are the host and we have been dominating the SEA Games basketball competition for several decades. But from a perspective of an avid Philippine basketball fanatic like me, who cares about winning another SEA Games gold medal when we have sent a PBA-select National team (para masigurado lang natin yung basketball gold medal) instead of sending a youth-laden team for the purpose of player development?

I don't see any reason to celebrate winning the SEA Games basketball gold with a PBA-select national team. Such feat won't even deserve a toast from my basketball crazy "kainuman".
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Only because we are the host and we have been dominating the SEA Games basketball competition for several decades. But from a perspective of an avid Philippine basketball fanatic like me, who cares about winning another SEA Games gold medal when we have sent a PBA-select National team (para masigurado lang natin yung basketball gold medal) instead of sending a youth-laden team for the purpose of player development?

I don't see any reason to celebrate winning the SEA Games basketball gold with a PBA-select national team. Such feat won't even deserve a toast from my basketball crazy "kainuman".
    Why not just send players from the 2023 pool (coached by Tab) with some PBA reinforcements?
    "INSANITY IS DOING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS."

Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    Why not just send players from the 2023 pool (coached by Tab) with some PBA reinforcements?
    Yup, that is also my ideal line-up. 6 players from the cadet 2023 FIBA World Cup pool & 6 current PBA players (preferably some young players) like Kiefer, Parks, Matt Wright, Sean Anthony, Standhardinger, Almazan or Quiñahan.

We should limit the Hagop disqualified players as well as veterans that will not be picked for other international competions. Add some youth there for development. Some people are still considering Calvin for SF in lieu of Thirdy. Let's see him play SF in the SEA games.

PBA:
    PF/C - CS, Almazan, Tratter
    SF - Abueva, Mocon
    SG - Wright, Pessumal
    PG- Tenorio, Thompson

Amateurs:
    PF/C - Baltazar, Santillan
    SF - Ravena, Idelfonso
    SG- Rivero
    PG - Nieto

Default No PBA players,No problem

me thinks this non PBA lineup will be enough to beat any team in the SEA games with a 30 point cushion.Let those unfortunate FIBA ineligible players play for the Philippines along with probably some of the eligible youngsters.With a month or so preparation of at least 90% roster,they may even beat a PBA team with this lineup,this lineup may even compete against the best Asian teams.

Bigs: Edu 6'11,Millora-Brown 6'10 (you have to invite this kid),Sotto 7'2, Go 6'8

Wings: Brownlee 6'7(naturalized player),Paras 6'6, Gray 6'6

Guards: T.Ravena 6'3, Adams 6'5, Gomez De Liano 6'1, Martin 6" (has to be invited), Nieto 5'11

other players to be considered: Tamayo 6'8, R.Cortez 6'8, Ildefonso 6'5, Rivero 6'2, Panopio 6'1, Holt 6'4, Brickman 6, Fenner 6'6, McKinney 6'1(this guy is a second coming of Chris Ross,maybe even better)

Head Coach: Tab Baldwin
    Assistant Coach: Charles Tiu
    Last edited by Alex07; 03-03-2019 at 07:38 AM.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Here's hoping that the a 50 million Baht bounty, plus Morgan + Lamb won't result to a Thai upset at home.

What will be the impact of having our amateur team win? And what will be the impact if they lose?

Here's hoping that the a 50 million Baht bounty, plus Morgan + Lamb won't result to a Thai upset at home.

What will be the impact of having our amateur team win? And what will be the impact if they lose?
    In the words of Peping Cojuangco back in the days of the Paranaque Jets, "Bibitayin tayo ng mga Pilipino pag natalo tayo rito [sa Southeast Asia]. The Filipinos will lynch us if we lose in SEA."

As long as the selected team for the SEA Games don't end up as bad as the Paranaque Jets, then it's okay to add a few young players to the roster, maybe half the team tops, for player development.
    #NowIsTheTime #WeBelieve #China2019 #LabanPilipinas! #PUSO

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post

As long as the selected team for the SEA Games don't end up as bad as the Paranaque Jets, then it's okay to add a few young players to the roster, maybe half the team tops, for player development.
    There's nothing wrong in pushing for the development of our amateurs. We should be good risk managers however. It seems like we have this frustrating trait where we take things lightly and experiment. "Bahala na" as they say.

We need to have a killer attitude, fight disproportionately, and bring our A-Game. This is the art of war.

I agree that the feeling won't be the same if the pros win it for us. But what is the point of competition? Is it to pity your opponents and make sure that they don't feel that bad? Or is it about excellence and leaving no stone unturned.

I may get a lot of flak for saying this but this kind of reminds of how our local commanders screwed up in planning for the Mamasaparo and the Luneta Hostage Crisis. Kaya na yan they said. ��

I agree that the feeling won't be the same if the pros win it for us. But what is the point of competition? Is it to pity your opponents and make sure that they don't feel that bad? Or is it about excellence and leaving no stone unturned.

I may get a lot of flak for saying this but this kind of reminds of how our local commanders screwed up in planning for the Mamasaparo and the Luneta Hostage Crisis. Kaya na yan they said. ��
    The feeling of winning using a pro team won’t be as good as winning with an amateur team, but you can bet that fallout of losing with an amateur team will be pretty bad. Knowing how some of the casuals are, they’ll spam the internet with comments like “This wasn’t our main team etc...”

We should just continue what we’ve been doing and form a team that is made up of both college and PBA players.

While some people would say things like "We need to send no less than our best players for the SEA Games specially since we are the host. We need to assure that we retain the gold medal in basketball...blah, blah, blah" (And these fellas sound like "trapos" or traditional politicians), to the real Philippine basketball fans who want nothing but the betterment of Philippine basketball, SEA Games basketball should be a venue or opportunity to expose the young talents.

I read comments from posters here who advocate on giving a slot or two of our elite Gilas team to young players (players in the late teens or early 20's age bracket). I say we give majority of slots of our SEA Games-bound National team to those young players. I think those lower level international tournaments should be the proper venue in developing our younger players.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast