Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 150

Thread: SF Prospects to replace Norwood in 2023 World Cup

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,232

    Default SF Prospects to replace Norwood in 2023 World Cup

    I think this topic deserves a thread as we lack SF prospects now than big guys.

    Do you think one of this kids has to potential to be Norwood's successor as Gilas Starting SF?

    BRP
    Kobe Paras
    Christian David
    Travis Roberts
    Sean Manganti

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,755
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Carl Tamayo if given the right training.

  3. #3
    Senior Member analyzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13,386

    Default

    I know people don't like this idea because of his height, but i think defesnivly the most ready is Thridy. ( counting only current eligible players)

  4. #4
    Senior Member digitalsuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bandung
    Posts
    9,463
    Country: Indonesia

    Default

    troy rosario.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Alex07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    bahay
    Posts
    7,879

    Default

    Thirdy is naturally a guard for his height,regardless if he can out of the planet.SBP will fix the eligibility issues and the acquisition of new breed of Foreign players with Filipino descent is inevitable.By the way, thanks for the help for our qualification for the WC Kiwis . The best local bet is still Kobe Paras, but the guy needs a lot of work and some maturity not to mention prayers.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

  6. #6
    Senior Member analyzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13,386

    Default

    I'm interested to see Dwight Ramos..

  7. #7
    Senior Member Silent Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    18,143
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spidey102279 View Post
    I think this topic deserves a thread as we lack SF prospects now than big guys.

    Do you think one of this kids has to potential to be Norwood's successor as Gilas Starting SF?

    BRP
    Kobe Paras
    Christian David
    Travis Roberts
    Sean Manganti
    david and Manganti are long shots.. ineligible

    your best bet is kobe.. just get his act together and play better and stay out of trouble..

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    Thirdy is naturally a guard for his height,regardless if he can out of the planet.SBP will fix the eligibility issues and the acquisition of new breed of Foreign players with Filipino descent is inevitable.By the way, thanks for the help for our qualification for the WC Kiwis . The best local bet is still Kobe Paras, but the guy needs a lot of work and some maturity not to mention prayers.

    Same here Thirdy for his height can develop to a topnotch SG or can play the PG/SG combo as he develops his skills further.Kobe we know can dominate in Sea Games and can handle himself in Jones Cup,but beyond that we don't know since he hasn't been included in the Senior Pool.The kid needs to take his skill level another notch and big push to get him motivated to the next level and away from the showbiz people.

  9. #9
    Senior Member thatweirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,804

    Default

    What are the chances of us naturalizing Jalen Green? I know it's a long shot but one can dream

  10. #10
    Senior Member Joe Yabuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    david and Manganti are long shots.. ineligible

    your best bet is kobe.. just get his act together and play better and stay out of trouble..
    How well does kobe move laterally?

  11. #11
    Senior Member thatweirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Yabuki View Post
    How well does kobe move laterally?
    From what I've seen quickness and agility aren't his strengths. He's more of a leaper and moves better when going downhill than sideways.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    645
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Bad but can be corrected [/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Yabuki View Post
    How well does kobe move laterally?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Joe Yabuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    Thats going to be a problem then, ive noticed that we have a very small amout of guys that are good at moving laterally thats why our perimeter d is rather bad

  14. #14
    Senior Member Dotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,064

    Default

    Its gonna be very hard to replace George Mason / Athletes in Action alumni Gabe Norwood. Even if he is somewhat undersized, only 6'5 in a good day. and really not a dominant scorer. HE is very cerebral and smart, and has the athletic skills to guard the wings and defend against the other team's top scorers.

    The SF position or the No.3 has been historically, the hardest position the PHL NT has difficulty filling in. To put it bluntly, the NT really has taken the word SMALL in the Small Forward position, to a heart. Our bests had been really under or just about 6'3: Caidic, Meneses and Duremdez.

    Tim Cone back in 1998 experimented with 6'6 Jun Limpot at 3, and he had the perfect size and agility, but like all pinoy bigs (6'4 and up) that time, he had a very hard transition from playing the 3 , after having played the big man position all his life. He was benched in the bronze medal game vs the taller Kazaks. and the Centennials had to rely on 6'0 Jolas' clutch shooting the bail them out.

    Hopes were high in the early 2000s with players such as Rudy Hatfield, Rob Parker, Al Segovia, Chris Clay, even Sonny Alvarado suddenly appeared like mushrooms. But of course, we all know that other than Hatfield (an undersized PF) these were all shams.


    The best Small Forward that PHL NT NEVER really had was Danny Seigle, and he's supposed to explode in 2002, but injury robbed the NT of his prime. Kelly Williams and Jay Washington were supposed to be of similar abilities and size, but they too never really panned out.

    So yeah PHL is still searching:

    BRP Jr is the most obvious candidate, but has been out of the NT program for quite sometime now.
    Kobe still needs to prove he can even play basketball effectively
    Troy Rosario has the size, length, agility and shooting abilities of a proto typical SF, but he's Limpot 2.0 at best.

    6'7 Chris David who plays the 3 in Div 1 Butler is most perfect choice. CYG even compared him to Norwood. Too bad David never applied for PHL passport before he tuned 16 and did not show any interest in playing for the NT anyways. Olats na naman.
    Last edited by Dotch; 02-25-2019 at 07:54 PM.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    15
    Country: UK

    Default

    I think we are forgetting about an up and coming player who could play the SF position internationally. 6'4/6'5 Dave Ildefonso played the 3 in the FIBA Asia U18 and he is accustomed to playing the wing regularly. If he grows to around the same height as Danny Ildefonso (6'6) He has the tools, skills and height to play the wing internationally.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    383
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    Its gonna be very hard to replace George Mason / Athletes in Action alumni Gabe Norwood. Even if he is somewhat undersized, only 6'5 in a good day. and really not a dominant scorer. HE is very cerebral and smart, and has the athletic skills to guard the wings and defend against the other team's top scorers.

    The SF position or the No.3 has been historically, the hardest position the PHL NT has difficulty filling in. To put it bluntly, the NT really has taken the word SMALL in the Small Forward position, to a heart. Our bests had been really under or just about 6'3: Caidic, Meneses and Duremdez.

    Tim Cone back in 1998 experimented with 6'6 Jun Limpot at 3, and he had the perfect size and agility, but like all pinoy bigs (6'4 and up) that time, he had a very hard transition from playing the 3 , after having played the big man position all his life. He was benched in the bronze medal game vs the taller Kazaks. and the Centennials had to rely on 6'0 Jolas' clutch shooting the bail them out.

    Hopes were high in the early 2000s with players such as Rudy Hatfield, Rob Parker, Al Segovia, Chris Clay, even Sonny Alvarado suddenly appeared like mushrooms. But of course, we all know that other than Hatfield (an undersized PF) these were all shams.


    The best Small Forward that PHL NT NEVER really had was Danny Seigle, and he's supposed to explode in 2002, but injury robbed the NT of his prime. Kelly Williams and Jay Washington were supposed to be of similar abilities and size, but they too never really panned out.

    So yeah PHL is still searching:

    BRP Jr is the most obvious candidate, but has been out of the NT program for quite sometime now.
    Kobe still needs to prove he can even play basketball effectively
    Troy Rosario has the size, length, agility and shooting abilities of a proto typical SF, but he's Limpot 2.0 at best.

    6'7 Chris David who plays the 3 in Div 1 Butler is most perfect choice. CYG even compared him to Norwood. Too bad David never applied for PHL passport before he tuned 16 and did not show any interest in playing for the NT anyways. Olats na naman.
    we can always blame how the high school/college coaches see a 6'4/6'5 kid. if they see a kid with that height, most often they see them playing 4 or 5 even if the kid can show being agile with his height. that's why you still have a 5'10 desiderio playing sf in all his college life without developing a ponit guard skills

  17. #17
    Senior Member Dotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by balong View Post
    we can always blame how the high school/college coaches see a 6'4/6'5 kid. if they see a kid with that height, most often they see them playing 4 or 5 even if the kid can show being agile with his height. that's why you still have a 5'10 desiderio playing sf in all his college life without developing a ponit guard skills
    its more of a necessity really, especially in the small schools in the provinces. where the tallest is just around 6'2, no choice but to play center. Local coaches really dont think that they should be developing players for NT duties. But if a coach really spot a talent with exceptional height and agility, he should at least train him to play the perimeter, facing the basket and work on his handles and long distance shooting. But our grassroot coaches are so unimaginative and lack vision.

    6'9 College player Kenmark Carino now plays center , but we all know he is too thin and too weak to be an effective 5 even in the PBA, but he has the agility and athletic abilities to play small. Imagine if we was trained in his early years to play guard, the guy could have been PHL's version of Siakam.

  18. #18
    Senior Member tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    6'4 Bobby Ray Parks Jr., 6'5 Dwight Ramos and 6'5 still growing Travis Roberts..

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    19
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    From what I've seen quickness and agility aren't his strengths. He's more of a leaper and moves better when going downhill than sideways.
    great observation, he's not good laterally.
    Follow me on, Instagram 🇵🇭

    @hoopjunkie


    Players following me: Terrence Romeo, Andray Blatche, Japeth Aguilar, Jimmy Alapag, Chris Tiu, Paul Lee, Matthew Wright, Troy Rosario, Mark Barroca, Dondon Hontiveros, Beau Belga, JC Intal, Gary David, Poy Erram, Kevin Alas, Jio Jalalon, Maverick Ahanmisi, Von Pessumal, Ryan Arana, Jason Perkins, Carlo Lastimosa and more... (won't fit 500 character limit)

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    19
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    Its gonna be very hard to replace George Mason / Athletes in Action alumni Gabe Norwood. Even if he is somewhat undersized, only 6'5 in a good day. and really not a dominant scorer. HE is very cerebral and smart, and has the athletic skills to guard the wings and defend against the other team's top scorers.

    The SF position or the No.3 has been historically, the hardest position the PHL NT has difficulty filling in. To put it bluntly, the NT really has taken the word SMALL in the Small Forward position, to a heart. Our bests had been really under or just about 6'3: Caidic, Meneses and Duremdez.

    Tim Cone back in 1998 experimented with 6'6 Jun Limpot at 3, and he had the perfect size and agility, but like all pinoy bigs (6'4 and up) that time, he had a very hard transition from playing the 3 , after having played the big man position all his life. He was benched in the bronze medal game vs the taller Kazaks. and the Centennials had to rely on 6'0 Jolas' clutch shooting the bail them out.

    Hopes were high in the early 2000s with players such as Rudy Hatfield, Rob Parker, Al Segovia, Chris Clay, even Sonny Alvarado suddenly appeared like mushrooms. But of course, we all know that other than Hatfield (an undersized PF) these were all shams.


    The best Small Forward that PHL NT NEVER really had was Danny Seigle, and he's supposed to explode in 2002, but injury robbed the NT of his prime. Kelly Williams and Jay Washington were supposed to be of similar abilities and size, but they too never really panned out.

    So yeah PHL is still searching:

    BRP Jr is the most obvious candidate, but has been out of the NT program for quite sometime now.
    Kobe still needs to prove he can even play basketball effectively
    Troy Rosario has the size, length, agility and shooting abilities of a proto typical SF, but he's Limpot 2.0 at best.

    6'7 Chris David who plays the 3 in Div 1 Butler is most perfect choice. CYG even compared him to Norwood. Too bad David never applied for PHL passport before he tuned 16 and did not show any interest in playing for the NT anyways. Olats na naman.
    You nailed it bro, there is no obvious heir for Norwood, and I think that is why he is still playing with the National team even if his age is catching up to him. Nobody has the all around height, handles, length, defensive ability, spot shooting and quick lateral movement. Hopefully it will be Kobe but he looks like a completely different player, and doesn't have the same motor as Gabe Norwood.
    Follow me on, Instagram 🇵🇭

    @hoopjunkie


    Players following me: Terrence Romeo, Andray Blatche, Japeth Aguilar, Jimmy Alapag, Chris Tiu, Paul Lee, Matthew Wright, Troy Rosario, Mark Barroca, Dondon Hontiveros, Beau Belga, JC Intal, Gary David, Poy Erram, Kevin Alas, Jio Jalalon, Maverick Ahanmisi, Von Pessumal, Ryan Arana, Jason Perkins, Carlo Lastimosa and more... (won't fit 500 character limit)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •