Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 150

Thread: SF Prospects to replace Norwood in 2023 World Cup

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    648
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Its not too late with Wright hes been good in the PBA. Growing as a ball handler but doesnt address the need of a 3 for Gilas. It should be Parks time tbh.

  2. #42
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    20,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Its not too late with Wright hes been good in the PBA. Growing as a ball handler but doesnt address the need of a 3 for Gilas. It should be Parks time tbh.
    what parks need js confidence or i say kapal ng mukha to.shoot.. riger pogoy almost disnt atyempt in kazakh game and just do the intangibles which is parks specialty..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    33
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    It could been an easy pick for Kobe if and only if he has the same patience that Hachimura have.

  4. #44
    Senior Member c_d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    While his attitude may have played a big role into where he is now, all fingers can't be pointed at him if you look at it more closely. If you compare the careers of the 2, you can actually differentiate the federation which actually has a program for its long term prospects and the one that's all press releases. Hachimura had certain "checks" on his resume at certain crucial stages of his career which got him into a better situation than Kobe. In 2014, despite being only 16, Hachimura was included in the Japan u18 team that played in the Albert Schweitzer tournament where they were grouped with Germany, Turkey and Slovenia. Over here, 16 year olds in the u18 team are usually considered "too young" and made to wait for their turn. Kai and Raven in last year's u18 is more of the exception. If we were really grooming Kobe back then to play a big part for our NT, he could've been made to train with the 2013 senior team even if his chances of making the team were slim. Watanabe was already part of the 2013 Japan senior NT at 19.

    At the 2014 u17 wc, Hachimura was able to establish himself as one of the best international prospects with his tournament averages including 25 pts vs USA which had future NBA players. Compare that to Kobe who was snubbed by the u17 coach and relegated to playing 3x3 in favor of players with no potential to move up to the senior NT because they needed to be rewarded. One of those players had "close ties" to a high ranking official of the federation so he had a secure spot. In addition, he was forced to play big man for the u18 team that same year simply because he was 6'6 instead of being given the opportunity to shine infront of scouts at the u17.

    Not only that, a visiting Japanese coach who observed Gonzaga practices was intrumental in Hachimura's recuitment (link). Kobe, on the other hand, had to rely on the corrupt AAU system to land D1 offers. We know where that got him. The icing on the cake for Hachimura's young career was his play at the 2017 u19wc. In that same year, Kobe was made to play PF in the Jones Cup by coach DDO and making mixed tapes over inferior competition in the SEA Games.
    Last edited by c_d; 02-26-2019 at 01:30 PM.

  5. #45
    Senior Member c_d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post


    I know this kid is still only 15 but he has all the physical tools to be like gabe I think. Long, tall, athletic, and has a good frame. He reminds me of the French kids that played at the fiba u17. I think he has D1 potential if he’s trained properly. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.
    The SBP people working behind the scenes inquired about his availability for the u17wc last year but were told that he wasn't available for international duty. He would've actually been perfect since the team didn't really have a legit wing defender and had 5 pgs. A u17wc appearance at age 15 would've also been a huge plus on his basketball resume, gaining experience guarding NBA draft prospects like Maledon, Hayes and Addison Patterson. That would make him more than ready for this year's u16.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,310
    Country: Austria

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c_d View Post
    The SBP people working behind the scenes inquired about his availability for the u17wc last year but were told that he wasn't available for international duty. He would've actually been perfect since the team didn't really have a legit wing defender and had 5 pgs. A u17wc appearance at age 15 would've also been a huge plus on his basketball resume, gaining experience guarding NBA draft prospects like Maledon, Hayes and Addison Patterson. That would make him more than ready for this year's u16.
    Why wasn’t he available? I thought he was born in the Philippines or is it his school that said no?

  7. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    21
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    Why wasn’t he available? I thought he was born in the Philippines or is it his school that said no?
    Taga LSGH yung bata and we all know the La Salle camp's stance on letting players participate in any level of the Nat'l team

  8. #48
    Senior Member c_d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    Why wasn’t he available? I thought he was born in the Philippines or is it his school that said no?
    He's local though you'd think he's not because of his ethnicity. Him being assigned to guard the 6'3 Gauzin, a participant in the recent NBA Global BWB Camp, instead of our undersized guards would've been a huge upgrade personnel wise.


  9. #49
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    15
    Country: UK

    Default

    Besides Japan with Hachimura and Watanabe, Other Asian countries have their wing players set for the future. China with 6'7 Guo Haowen and Korea with 6'7 Sharpshooter Lee Hyun Jung. Australia will have Josh Green who will most likely be a lottery pick. Even Thailand has 6'5 Justin Bassey. If we are going to naturalize a player in the future, I think an athletic scoring wing who can defend with a height of 6'5 and above would be the best option. I would be happy if we can develop a player like Bahrami of Iran to go with Sotto, Edu, Martin and Clarkson. With that team and the right coach, I do not see why we cannot be a top 10-15 country in the world

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    648
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FITL View Post
    Taga LSGH yung bata and we all know the La Salle camp's stance on letting players participate in any level of the Nat'l team
    F LS basketball really

  11. #51
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    20,846

    Default

    And to think villavicencios are employees of mvp wag mong sabihin smc yan..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    7-11 Quezon City, yo doon ako napadpad
    Posts
    6,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobean07 View Post
    Besides Japan with Hachimura and Watanabe, Other Asian countries have their wing players set for the future. China with 6'7 Guo Haowen and Korea with 6'7 Sharpshooter Lee Hyun Jung. Australia will have Josh Green who will most likely be a lottery pick. Even Thailand has 6'5 Justin Bassey. If we are going to naturalize a player in the future, I think an athletic scoring wing who can defend with a height of 6'5 and above would be the best option. I would be happy if we can develop a player like Bahrami of Iran to go with Sotto, Edu, Martin and Clarkson. With that team and the right coach, I do not see why we cannot be a top 10-15 country in the world
    Travis Roberts. But we need two more like him. Jury's still out whether Eli Ramos will have a second growth spurt or if he will stay at PG size
    Keep running, big boy.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Alex07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    bahay
    Posts
    7,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kerouac82 View Post
    Travis Roberts. But we need two more like him. Jury's still out whether Eli Ramos will have a second growth spurt or if he will stay at PG size
    Ildefonso might be 6'5 but the kid plays more of a guard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    From pbadraft.net facebook page


    Watch FYBA’s Thomas Batties, a 6’3” 13 year old Fil-Am dunk the ball #FYBARisingStar https://www.instagram.com/p/BlXJ1Hnguqt/
    maybe this Thomas Batties guy if the SBP can sign him up, unfortunately this is the only video of the Batties kid.I just hope they won't call him by his initials too hehe




    another is the young De Liano kid,Jordi.I've read somewhere he is already 6 foot 5 at only 15 years old.If Ron Harper Jr. is eligible then he's probably the best candidate.
    Last edited by Alex07; 02-27-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

  14. #54
    Senior Member LCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    893
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    Ildefonso might be 6'5 but the kid plays more of a guard.



    maybe this Thomas Batties guy if the SBP can sign him up, unfortunately this is the only video of the Batties kid.I just hope they won't call him by his initials too hehe




    another is the young De Liano kid,Jordi.I've read somewhere he is already 6 foot 5 at only 15 years old.If Ron Harper Jr. is eligible then he's probably the best candidate.
    Ildefonso is only 6’2”/6’3” Sir. Tuffin who is 6’4” is taller than him.

  15. #55
    Senior Member LCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    893
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by balong View Post
    we can always blame how the high school/college coaches see a 6'4/6'5 kid. if they see a kid with that height, most often they see them playing 4 or 5 even if the kid can show being agile with his height. that's why you still have a 5'10 desiderio playing sf in all his college life without developing a ponit guard skills
    Why should we blame the schools? Ano magagawa natin kung maliliit talaga tayong mga Pinoy. They have no choice. Or I should say we have no choice whether we like it or not. We can’t produce a lot of 6’5” and above players.

  16. #56
    Senior Member Dotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    Proto-typical smalll forward is 6'5 to 6'9 who runs like a gazelle, patrol the wings on both ends of the floor, and can score from the perimeter, or slashing to the basket. Who do we have right now that fits that category?

  17. #57
    Senior Member yogaflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    I'm not sure if we can classify him as a Norwood replacement but if it has something to do with the next utility type of a player, a lock down defender, then we are bless that we will have Edu in the future who has the potential to become a versatile defender, a utility player, excellent rebounder and shot blocker, plus he is very tall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    Lassiter is what we wanted in wright. Good shooter and good defender.. and can slash to the hoop if needed
    Someone should tell wright to just shoot it the moment he gets the ball and see's a bit of daylight. Maybe he got used in the PBA where he sometimes has to force the issue to make plays for the team and will try to slash instead of just doing his role(in gilas) which is to shoot the damn 3 ball. hehe my 50 cents

  19. #59
    Senior Member thatweirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    Proto-typical smalll forward is 6'5 to 6'9 who runs like a gazelle, patrol the wings on both ends of the floor, and can score from the perimeter, or slashing to the basket. Who do we have right now that fits that category?
    None. That guy you're describing would have to be an import who would be forced to do everything for his team.

    You guys want to know why we have 6'4 centers? It's because they dominate our 6'7 guys. That's how a 5'10 SF gets drafted. He's better than the 6'1 SFs. We don't have tall wing players because they're playing in the paint. And we don't have have tall centers because they're scrubs most of the time. Guys like JF are very rare and even then they have serious limitations

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    424
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    None. That guy you're describing would have to be an import who would be forced to do everything for his team.

    You guys want to know why we have 6'4 centers? It's because they dominate our 6'7 guys. That's how a 5'10 SF gets drafted. He's better than the 6'1 SFs. We don't have tall wing players because they're playing in the paint. And we don't have have tall centers because they're scrubs most of the time. Guys like JF are very rare and even then they have serious limitations
    i wouldnt mind if we can have a pj tucker-like type of player to develop. a stocky with good laterals to keep up with taller more athletic sf

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •