Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Philippines at 2019 Fiba World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Yabuki View Post
    Early calvin wouldve been nice imo but hes such a loose canon now...same with terrence funny how they both ended as such
    I think Calvin now is in good mood now, he now lead his team (Phoenix) to the top on the standings.. and also less antics now for Calvin.. but not same as for Romeo.. maybe Calvin gets invite for 2019 WC pool but i don't see him to be in the final line up.. but i want him to be part of pool because he always 100% even on practice and a good teammate.. also a good locker room teammate, so definitely good addition to the pool..

Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    These two will not be pick by CYG.. Kiefer is still out of shape and only 1 week after his suspension, so X mark as for 2019 WC for Kiefer, while CYG don't like Parks game.. he can get him somewhere from Asiad to 4th window but CYG chooses not, He doesn't like Parks game, so another X mark... and honestly i dont like they all ignoring Castro's greatness in Gilas.. i watch some clips interviewing at Mico's segment and Caidic, Condinera always ignoring Castro.. I was laugh at that, somehow picking Barroca over Castro, or Lee over him.. Something that jealousy for this someone called "legends" that they didn't appreciate Castro's greatness.. Because these guys never experience what Castro's impact now at international stage... so that little jealousy on part of these "legends"... And also these 2 are also jurrasic coaches, very good at their playing years but sucked at coaching careers...
    lol I don't think Caidic and Codinera has a grudge against Castro. Reason why I picked that lineup is they can score and defend. As good as Castro is offensively his defense ain't good. We always have trouble against teams that are cohesive like korea. they abuse us with simple pick and roll and back door cuts. with this lineup we can better match up with them.

Well Keifer has I guess 6 months to get back in shape? Yeng seems to like tough good basketball IQ players, Parks fits that description. No reason for Yengski to ignore him if his available. I bet a litro of coke if Parks wasn't playiing in the ABL Yeng would've picked him

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lun View Post
    lol I don't think Caidic and Codinera has a grudge against Castro. Reason why I picked that lineup is they can score and defend. As good as Castro is offensively his defense ain't good. We always have trouble against teams that are cohesive like korea. they abuse us with simple pick and roll and back door cuts. with this lineup we can better match up with them.

Well Keifer has I guess 6 months to get back in shape? Yeng seems to like tough good basketball IQ players, Parks fits that description. No reason for Yengski to ignore him if his available. I bet a litro of coke if Parks wasn't playiing in the ABL Yeng would've picked him
    He's available for 4th window and Asiad last year, He's only playing in the MPBL only.. no ABL at that time and more player's suspension due to brawl but somehow CYG ignored him, neither calling his name even at that pool only, He was either to pick Kobe Paras that has not playing competitive game since leaving US NCAA than Parks that he's still playing MPBL.. I have no idea if he's not permitted by Mandaluyong but still he was way available at that time but suddenly not put even at the pool for that window..

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lun View Post

I watch that clip and maybe how many times they always guest at Mico's segment but they always ignoring Castro's game.. they have more praise on other players especially their bet Fajardo and Barroca, but neither of them telling Castro's impact in several years.. I don't know why, but something fishy on them that they don't like Castro!!! Anyway it is not on Castro's mind anyway, as soon as he was playing for flag then he's always available and the real FRANCHISE PLAYER OR FACE OF GILAS BASKETBALL!!! not the 5x MVP Fajardo, nor Barroca or rest of others..

jace has grown on me as gilas plauer. as much that he is liability on offense, he does now take charge whenever he was on the floor, di na nag 2nd gear sa laro panay 5th gear na.. then he gives way to ther players.. and give pt..He is very vocal now.. on and off the court..

But also espn 5 helped a lot as they didnt feed the audience the best pg in asia tag everytime he dribbles parang wwe na kung ipro.ote dati now more substance more on the skills he posseses why he was respected
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Actually Castro has tools to be a decent defender. His strength and athleticism can makeup for his short stature internationally. It might be having Blatche, Lee and Barroca that he didnt have to do as much offensively. But Magoo and et al were raving that theyve never seen Castro defend as well internationally during the 2nd half of the Kazh game.

And kudos to Castro he adjusted his drives a bit by taking reverses.

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    Actually Castro has tools to be a decent defender. His strength and athleticism can makeup for his short stature internationally. It might be having Blatche, Lee and Barroca that he didnt have to do as much offensively. But Magoo and et al were raving that theyve never seen Castro defend as well internationally during the 2nd half of the Kazh game.

And kudos to Castro he adjusted his drives a bit by taking reverses.
    He can defend!!! I don't know where people came that he's liability on defense!!! Why we were eaten alive on defense because in International competitions, no one team can use two PG's at a same time.. Actually it was Romeo or Lee were attack by opponents, rather than Castro, or to be extend in the past Tenorio and Alapag.. It should be always 1 PG and 1 combo guard or SG, that's why he can compliment always with Pogoy, Wright and Lassiter... because these are good SG's and sometimes defend...

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    jace has grown on me as gilas plauer. as much that he is liability on offense, he does now take charge whenever he was on the floor, di na nag 2nd gear sa laro panay 5th gear na.. then he gives way to ther players.. and give pt..He is very vocal now.. on and off the court..

But also espn 5 helped a lot as they didnt feed the audience the best pg in asia tag everytime he dribbles parang wwe na kung ipro.ote dati now more substance more on the skills he posseses why he was respected
    But sometimes some analyst there at Sports 5 and some medias tagging Junmar is our face of Gilas team, especially Dr J (I dont know what his name)... I don't like that anyway.. he's not proven yet consistently in International competitions and not always in the face of social media whenever Gilas were playing, It was always Castro, They didn't care about Junmar's accomplishments here because he can't translate it consistently..Coaches of other countries don't see Junmar as threat and not on their scouting list.. It was always Castro and Blatche are their main targets on scouting list of opponents...

Thats just for marketing reasons.. remember when ping used to get all the endorsments and Kobe was plastered with everything gilas youth related?

Lets face it smc players are always more popular than tnt, i find this specially ironic since now we can finally say that we have the best pg in asia, imo he should be treated as some sort of demigod with an accolade like that in our country, yet most of our fanbase still champion their mark cagiuoas

Sympathy is only for criminals who wanted to change their life.. barroca only played 2 games, abueva played 6 games.. so who was work harder for the whole qualifier!! and do you think who is better player for that 12th spot.. in the past the 12 spot was used by gary david, jc intal, thompson and cbc.. and what happend? It was useless because we priority seniority rules rather put younger guys to inject their mind how to play international games and gain experience.. as if 1 or 2 spots for younger guys will get impact for the team.. but the difference putting remy martin and aj edu for guys like what? Arwind, scottie, abueva, belga, etc... they are too late now for enchancing development in international competitions while the first 2 will more gain because they will learn more for future as they continue to play international competition..
    Well, great point. Maybe I'll give one or two slots for the young players. Perhaps a Remy Martin & an AJ Edu should be in the 12-man roster. I believe Remy Martin is now ready to play in that level of competition. Martin has made significant improvement this season with Arizona State & he is only in his sophomore year.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

I think Calvin now is in good mood now, he now lead his team (Phoenix) to the top on the standings.. and also less antics now for Calvin.. but not same as for Romeo.. maybe Calvin gets invite for 2019 WC pool but i don't see him to be in the final line up.. but i want him to be part of pool because he always 100% even on practice and a good teammate.. also a good locker room teammate, so definitely good addition to the pool..
    One thing I like about Calvin is his aggressiveness to push the ball during transition. He always looks for every opportunity to score in transition. Atake lang sya nang atake & its either he finishes it or he gets a foul. His drives & attacks to the basket may not look spectacular but its very effective. I think such trait of Calvin was in full display during the 2015 FIBA Asia Championship where Gilas finished 2nd behind China. Aside from Castro & Romeo, Calvin was among the best finishers off the break in that team.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    One thing I like about Calvin is his aggressiveness to push the ball during transition. He always looks for every opportunity to score in transition. Atake lang sya nang atake & its either he finishes it or he gets a foul. His drives & attacks to the basket may not look spectacular but its very effective. I think such trait of Calvin was in full display during the 2015 FIBA Asia Championship where Gilas finished 2nd behind China. Aside from Castro & Romeo, Calvin was among the best finishers off the break in that team.
    We all know that maybe he can't make the final 12.. but he's that guy that accept it like a man.. and he deserve atleast to be part of the WC pool... I admired him because even he has personal problems, he always come to play for our country that nobody other PBA players can't do that... he can be our locker room teammate and he's good example to our youth national team aspirant that whenever what happens outside the court, personal problems, etc.. He always proud to represent us!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Well, great point. Maybe I'll give one or two slots for the young players. Perhaps a Remy Martin & an AJ Edu should be in the 12-man roster. I believe Remy Martin is now ready to play in that level of competition. Martin has made significant improvement this season with Arizona State & he is only in his sophomore year.
    That is my point here!!! Putting 1 or 2 youngsters will not hurt our competitiveness, especially special talents like Martin, Edu or maybe Panopio!!! They are playing competitive high level basketball.. Higher level than our beloved PBA!!! so why some here telling "mamamain" but the truth is they can already hang with senior players!!! and this is the good thing, they can learn from their "kuyas", because they were retiring at the end of WC as Gilas members and we need replacements that can inject their experience with them!!!

That is my point here!!! Putting 1 or 2 youngsters will not hurt our competitiveness, especially special talents like Martin, Edu or maybe Panopio!!! They are playing competitive high level basketball.. Higher level than our beloved PBA!!! so why some here telling "mamamain" but the truth is they can already hang with senior players!!! and this is the good thing, they can learn from their "kuyas", because they were retiring at the end of WC as Gilas members and we need replacements that can inject their experience with them!!!
    You can be sure that Japan will have no reservations bringing Hachimura to the WC. No coaches or fans will be worrying na “mamamain si Rui!”

Setting aside sentimentality and our love affair with seniority, Remy Martin and AJ Edu, should be part of the Wold Cup team. They will not only provide more energy, depth and athleticism in our team but will be a good step for the future. What will be needed as early as now will be for our federation to get in touch with their respective schools and coordinate and plan scheds. It maybe easier said than done but if we are really serious, all efforts should be made to secure their services.
    " Bayan Muna Bago ang Sarili "

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Yabuki View Post
    Thats just for marketing reasons.. remember when ping used to get all the endorsments and Kobe was plastered with everything gilas youth related?

Lets face it smc players are always more popular than tnt, i find this specially ironic since now we can finally say that we have the best pg in asia, imo he should be treated as some sort of demigod with an accolade like that in our country, yet most of our fanbase still champion their mark cagiuoas
    The Gatorade Man!!! hahahahahaha... he can be also endorser of gatorade....And that is also main reason in this decade all SMC players named MVP (except for Alapag).. they are also loved by media and favoring them always!!!!

[QUOTE=fthesaint;1261255]Setting aside sentimentality and our love affair with seniority, Remy Martin and AJ Edu, should be part of the Wold Cup team. They will not only provide more energy, depth and athleticism in our team but will be a good step for the future. What will be needed as early as now will be for our federation to get in touch with their respective schools and coordinate and plan scheds. It maybe easier said than done but if we are really serious, all efforts should be made to secure their services.[/QUOTE

Yeah... I will pick these two rather than putting the likes of Thompson, Belga, Almazan, Santos, etc... in the 11 to 12th spot.. what will be our team's benefit if we put these latter than the youngsters!!! right? That is the point we talking about.. I do really care about our chances of being top ranked Asian team!!! We all know that, but 10 man competitive roster is already huge!!! and the last 2 spots sometimes sitting on the bench.. What is the benefit we have that they put David, Intal, CBC, Scottie as a 12th man in the past line up rather than youngsters Martin, Edu and even Sotto!!! The first we mentioned will only benefit their accomplishments but same time the future of the team will be useless because they can't be use anytime due to age or lack of impact, They only there because of "Seniority rules", "Utang na loob", popularity and work-hard "daw" in that spot!!! But giving youngsters will give us continuation in our team, the foundation of a next set of generation Gilas players and giving them experience, as we did in the past for the likes of Norwood, Aguilar, Fajardo, Rosario, etc..., and we benefit a lot because guys like Norwood, Aguilar, Fajardo, Rosario now become regular fixtures of Gilas... Do you think if we didn't do that and we stick to the veterans in the past then do we see their names regularly in our national team?

Quote Originally Posted by fthesaint View Post
    Setting aside sentimentality and our love affair with seniority, Remy Martin and AJ Edu, should be part of the Wold Cup team. They will not only provide more energy, depth and athleticism in our team but will be a good step for the future. What will be needed as early as now will be for our federation to get in touch with their respective schools and coordinate and plan scheds. It maybe easier said than done but if we are really serious, all efforts should be made to secure their services.

Remy yes on that,since his play will suit the rest of Gilas plus the fact that the other capable PGs are not in Yeng's radar,but Aj we need to reserve judgement until after the Under19,if he made it then either the ever loyal Japeth,Erram or Rosario has to go.The other factor is the schools that they're in,Hachimura wasn't cleared in one of the windows for Japan during a crucial part of the semester.Gotta remember they're called student athletes,if the US NCAA got wind of improprieties,coaches,athletic directors will feel the brunt of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ARMIR View Post
    Remy yes on that,since his play will suit the rest of Gilas plus the fact that the other capable PGs are not in Yeng's radar,but Aj we need to reserve judgement until after the Under19,if he made it then either the ever loyal Japeth,Erram or Rosario has to go.The other factor is the schools that they're in,Hachimura wasn't cleared in one of the windows for Japan during a crucial part of the semester.Gotta remember they're called student athletes,if the US NCAA got wind of improprieties,coaches,athletic directors will feel the brunt of that.
    Qualifiers is different than WC.. all schools will permit that, Schools priority nationalism after that, and this is WC anyway, so why prohibited?... and this is their another way to impress NBA Scouts!!!

It reminds of the Smart Gilas-1 days where critics would always whine/complain about our young players getting out-muscled or "minamama" by the older opposition. It really made me sick hearing such comments by narrow-minded people.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast