Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Results 441 to 452 of 452

Thread: Philippines at 2019 Fiba World Cup

  1. #441
    Senior Member interxavierxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,412
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    To add on this. Pinoy NT coaches keep emphasizing that on a short tournament where teams play almost everyday, they thought playing all 12 men will make them fresh every game. well, yeah , while the reasoning is sound, these pros are used to play those many games in a short period.

    and besides, a solid 9 player rotation with solid game plan is as maybe more effective than using the whole squad
    It's all about chemistry. There's no really no point in using all twelve players if they're not going to be effective.

    They are not playing in an all-star game.
    SAN ANTONIO SPURS FAN
    est. 2001
    *****


  2. #442
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,557
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    off-topic: ron harper answered my reply just 2 hours ago. i ask if ron jr. does have a passport before turning 16. you will be the one to judge on his answer. hehe

    https://twitter.com/azerbeh/status/1...113885697?s=20
    Last edited by ja.he; Today at 02:43 AM.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

  3. #443
    Senior Member insulares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    It's all about chemistry. There's no really no point in using all twelve players if they're not going to be effective.

    They are not playing in an all-star game.
    Speaking of chemistry, Guiao will be ranged against a team brimming with it right from the opening tip.

    Italy head coach Sacchetti did a masterful job of barging into the Worlds without the benefit of having NBA reliables Gallo and Belli during the qualifying stages (although they had an NBA-ready 17-year old contribute to punching their ticket to China 2019). For his troubles, Sacchetti was rewarded a well-earned contract extension by the Italian federation.

    Sacchetti has the enviable option of tinkering with team chemistry by injecting NBA vets into his Group D lineup.

    Italy "doable"? Perhaps. But so is tempering inflated expectations in the face of our coaching reality that's sorely deficient in X's and O's.

  4. #444
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pampanga, Phil
    Posts
    2,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    off-topic: ron harper answered my reply just 2 hours ago. i ask if ron jr. does have a passport before turning 16. you will be the one to judge on his answer. hehe

    https://twitter.com/azerbeh/status/1...113885697?s=20
    That is still good news, meaning he is eligible for Gilas moving forward. Buti pa tong mga anak ng NBA players, meron ng passport ng Pinas...

  5. #445
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,557
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sajubeads View Post
    That is still good news, meaning he is eligible for Gilas moving forward. Buti pa tong mga anak ng NBA players, meron ng passport ng Pinas...
    being professional players during their heyday surely helped them to have knowledge what countries follow the nba the most.

    hope we'll have him together with jeron and edu in greece but as ron sr. said, ron jr. will be busy this summer.
    Last edited by ja.he; Today at 03:40 AM.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

  6. #446
    Senior Member interxavierxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,412
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by insulares View Post
    Speaking of chemistry, Guiao will be ranged against a team brimming with it right from the opening tip.

    Italy head coach Sacchetti did a masterful job of barging into the Worlds without the benefit of having NBA reliables Gallo and Belli during the qualifying stages (although they had an NBA-ready 17-year old contribute to punching their ticket to China 2019). For his troubles, Sacchetti was rewarded a well-earned contract extension by the Italian federation.

    Sacchetti has the enviable option of tinkering with team chemistry by injecting NBA vets into his Group D lineup.

    Italy "doable"? Perhaps. But so is tempering inflated expectations in the face of our coaching reality that's sorely deficient in X's and O's.
    Italy under Messina was a nightmare matchup for us. Not sure about their new coach.
    SAN ANTONIO SPURS FAN
    est. 2001
    *****


  7. #447
    Senior Member insulares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    Italy under Messina was a nightmare matchup for us. Not sure about their new coach.
    The new coach has his team running free and easy, a style not totally unfamiliar to Guiao.

    It seems the Italians won't allow others to outspeed them, which should be worrisome for us.

  8. #448
    Senior Member interxavierxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,412
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by insulares View Post
    The new coach has his team running free and easy, a style not totally unfamiliar to Guiao.

    It seems the Italians won't allow others to outspeed them, which should be worrisome for us.
    Their record against Asian teams is something to behold. Apparently, no one has been able to keep a close game against them.

    Italy is anything but an easy matchup in the World Cup.
    SAN ANTONIO SPURS FAN
    est. 2001
    *****


  9. #449
    Senior Member insulares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    Their record against Asian teams is something to behold. Apparently, no one has been able to keep a close game against them.

    Italy is anything but an easy matchup in the World Cup.
    ITA > AUS, and we haven't come close to AUS (unless one counts the fists and that chair).

    If both Group D powerhouses play true to form on the first 2 playdates, then our third day becomes anticlimactic. A premature classification match.

    Any upset is considered a long shot.

    And will require lots of the same.

  10. #450
    Senior Member interxavierxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,412
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by insulares View Post
    ITA > AUS, and we haven't come close to AUS (unless one counts the fists and that chair).

    If both Group D powerhouses play true to form on the first 2 playdates, then our third day becomes anticlimactic. A premature classification match.

    Any upset is considered a long shot.

    And will require lots of the same.
    At this point, I'll be more than happy if we can manage to stay within a single digit loss to either Serbia or Italy.

    Anything beyond that exceeds expectations.
    SAN ANTONIO SPURS FAN
    est. 2001
    *****


  11. #451
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,557
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    At this point, I'll be more than happy if we can manage to stay within a single digit loss to either Serbia or Italy.

    Anything beyond that exceeds expectations.
    nah, that's the other way around, australia can easily italy. they can't keep especially if the aussies decide to go physical against them. ask serbia and lithuania.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

  12. #452
    Senior Member insulares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    At this point, I'll be more than happy if we can manage to stay within a single digit loss to either Serbia or Italy.

    Anything beyond that exceeds expectations.
    Either would be an immense accomplishment, given that the days of under-the-radar Seville surprises are long gone.

    And especially given our endemic protectionist coaching approach which has delivered sketchy results, at best.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •