Olympiacos forfeited game vs PAO in the Greek Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tevfik1907 View Post
    Efes's main goal is making their own commercial when you think about all these reasons. If Ozhilhan (founder of Efes) really cared about creating a fan base and creating a traditional basketball club that will continue even after his death, he would carry the team from İstanbul to another city, and he would build a basketball saloon special to Efes only. But he did none of that, since the main reason is making the Efes commercials by being a sponsor to the Euroleague, not saying he doesn't like basketball, obviously he does, but that's seems like his hobby only and he doesn't care about the rest.
    I don't want to derail the topic, which is not going anywhere anyway, but I object to his commonly expressed claim (as you surely guessed ): Majority of important bball personalities in Turkey today, including those considered the pillars of clubs like Fener, or the TBF, or the ones played in the NBA, was once a part of Efes Pilsen, which was, and is to a lesser extent today, the country's player factory with its infrastructure. This cannot be just a hobby or commercial tool of a rich guy. It's been important for commercial purposes, but it has passed so much beyond for over the 40 years.

Efes does not have a large fan base, imho, because 1: Turkey is a football country, and it's dominated by the three Istanbul clubs, 2-Efes is a company club, and therefore people find it hard to be devoted as much.

Efes vs others rivalry is weaker, even negligible, compared to Oly-PAO, Real-Barca, CZ-Partizan, etc simply because all the others do have football branches, and the rivalry is carried over.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
      I don't want to derail the topic, which is not going anywhere anyway, but I object to his commonly expressed claim (as you surely guessed ): Majority of important bball personalities in Turkey today, including those considered the pillars of clubs like Fener, or the TBF, or the ones played in the NBA, was once a part of Efes Pilsen, which was, and is to a lesser extent today, the country's player factory with its infrastructure. This cannot be just a hobby or commercial tool of a rich guy. It's been important for commercial purposes, but it has passed so much beyond for over the 40 years.

Efes does not have a large fan base, imho, because 1: Turkey is a football country, and it's dominated by the three Istanbul clubs, 2-Efes is a company club, and therefore people find it hard to be devoted as much.

Efes vs others rivalry is weaker, even negligible, compared to Oly-PAO, Real-Barca, CZ-Partizan, etc simply because all the others do have football branches, and the rivalry is carried over.
      Spain is a football country too, I don't think that's a problem.

If Efes went to any city in Turkey other than İstanbul, and build a basketball saloon there they could've been much more successful at creating a fanbase, and to do that is very easy considering the large budget of Efes. Just look at Banvit, or Tofaş.

Maybe İzmir couldn't be done due to Pınar Karşıyaka, but Efes's company has several fabricates in other cities such as Afyon, Konya and Bilecik. They could've chosen one of them, and create a very strong fanbase in there. Instead they chose to stay in the same city with FB, GS and BJK.
      Last edited by Tevfik1907; 02-20-2019, 12:34 AM.
      FENERBAHÇE
      --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019, 2020 Turkish Basketball Cup Champion ---
      --- 1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022 Turkish Basketball League Champion ---
      --- 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
      --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

Comment

• Tevfik1907 and Levenspiel - thanks for the answers. I suppose that, because Istanbul is the biggest city in Turkey, it's attractive for business people and big companies to spend money there. So, you have your biggest city and big3 supporters there, and other cities without that much big3 supporters, but I guess it's a little bit difficult to have a successful basketball club, to have Euroleague club even in Ankara or Trabzon.

Comment

• Originally posted by markkanen View Post
          Tevfik1907 and Levenspiel - thanks for the answers. I suppose that, because Istanbul is the biggest city in Turkey, it's attractive for business people and big companies to spend money there. So, you have your biggest city and big3 supporters there, and other cities without that much big3 supporters, but I guess it's a little bit difficult to have a successful basketball club, to have Euroleague club even in Ankara or Trabzon.
          Trabzon is a new big city (metropolitan) in Turkey, there are other 30 metropolitan cities in Turkey, like Konya, Kayseri or Gaziantep, Antalya, Bursa, Balıkesir, Kocaeli etc. these cities are more crowded than Trabzon. In fact, these cities are even more crowded than some cities in Europe. If cities like Vitoria or Canaria Islands creates a better fanbase than Efes, then the problem is with Efes's management.

Tofaş is from Bursa, and Banvit is from Balıkesir, they have no supporters problem at home. Efes could easily do that too if they wanted. But somehow they believed they can create a fanbase in İstanbul against the 3 oldest and biggest clubs in Turkey, it's their fault I would say, it's not the problem of sports fan in Turkey. FB, GS, BJK had no problem with basketball supporters in home games, only Efes has because of the reasons I said.
          FENERBAHÇE
          --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019, 2020 Turkish Basketball Cup Champion ---
          --- 1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022 Turkish Basketball League Champion ---
          --- 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
          --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

Comment

• But, on the other hand, only clubs from Turkey that participated in euroleague in past are the ones from Istanbul. Ulker, Efes Pilsen (now Anadolu Efes), Galatasaray, Fenerbahce, Darussafaka and Besiktas. And one time there is Pinar Karsiyaka there, but that's only once. So, money and power are clearly in Istanbul.

Comment

• is it true that PAO said they will withdraw from the league if Oly game at the end of this month is officiated by foreign refs (as per Oly's request)?
              5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

• -6 For Oly for not playing league game vs PAO.

They have an ongoing appeal for the -6 they received in the cup game. They are appealing the punishment should only be -1.

Oly now are placed in 7th place.
                Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
                Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information