Best Twin Towers of 2019 WC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Twin Towers of 2019 WC

Let's speculate on this a little bit. Who has 2 best bigs in the line-up?

Here's top contenders (marked already qualified), IMO:

USA: Cousins, Davis, Drummond, Jordan, Love, Turner, Griffin (from these I see Cousins and Davis as best due and also Turner, Griffin would probably also make a great contender). However, that's the situation if there's any clearance?
    Serbia: Jokic, Bjelica
    Spain: Marc Gasol, Mirotic (or sill Pau instead of Mirotic, that's close...)
    France: Gobert, Lauvergne
    Australia: Baynes, Thon Maker
    Lithuania: Valanciunas, Sabonis
    Latvia (not a good chances to qualify though): Porzingis, Bertans
    Croatia (poor chances to qualify): Zubac, Saric
    Canada: Thompson, Olynyc

That's how I see the hierarchy:

1. USA - well, if they will bring some elite players. Jordan, Love situation wouldn't impress me too much though. If I would have to pick I would take Turner and Davis, that would be deadly dynamo.
    2. Lithuania - homer alert, but I think Valanciunas and Sabonis are best 2 bigs pair after USA combination. None of them are stars in NBA, but they both are elite bigs by impact and statistics, and (except maybe Spain) none other countries below can field that.
    3. Spain - Marc still is a good player even if he's declining, while Mirotic is good, but not an elite option. I think he pushed on the stats pedal a little bit playing for a bad team, still very good player tough. So this is close. Yet this due is not so tough, physical and rebound, post scoring dominant as JV/Sabonis.
    4. Serbia - Jokic is a beast, but Bjelica is just a role player in NBA. Some would say it's a perfect due, and most flexible and they would have a point, but also soft and unathletic due compared to others...Highest IQ combination probably though....
    5. Croatia - I think Zubac is a very good young center and Saric is sort of a waking up...

Did I miss something from Africa or Asia? What's your opinion?
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

If Cameroon qualifies it would be interesting to see if Embiid would think about suiting up. Granted whoever's he's paired wouldn't be particularly noteworthy, but he's on a shortlist of best bigs in the world right now.

Speaking of best in the world big men, if Gianis plays for Greece who would be paired with him?
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
      If Cameroon qualifies it would be interesting to see if Embiid would think about suiting up. Granted whoever's he's paired wouldn't be particularly noteworthy, but he's on a shortlist of best bigs in the world right now.

Speaking of best in the world big men, if Gianis plays for Greece who would be paired with him?
      One super man NTs are quite few. Like Montenegro with Vucevic, or Horford as Dominican. But the Twin Towers...not so many countries have 2 truly elite bigs.

As for Greece? It's between Bourousis and Pappagianis I guess. Would you see Giannis as 4 at FIBA?

Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Uh.....Pascal Siakim, the dude who dropped 44/11 tonight and is most likely gonna win MIP.
        Like Weird Al? You'll love Bobio: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...obiolover&aq=f

Comment

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
          Uh.....Pascal Siakim, the dude who dropped 44/11 tonight and is most likely gonna win MIP.
          Absolutely stand corrected, didn't realize he was from Cameroon. Has he talked about competing in the World Cup (provided they qualify). If they both wind up playing then yes they would be in the running for best twin towers.
          Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Absolutely stand corrected, didn't realize he was from Cameroon. Has he talked about competing in the World Cup (provided they qualify). If they both wind up playing then yes they would be in the running for best twin towers.

Dominican Republic with Horford and Karl Anthony Towns could be as good as any country. Also I think Kelly Olynyk is underrated as a FIBA big. Excellent shooting and passing and an underrated defender (I sort of see him as Jokic-light and could pair off Jamal Murray quite well). Paired with Tristan Thompson could be quite interesting as an active, running crashing bigman Kenneth Faried circa 2014 WC. Honestly Dwight Powell may be even better and is a fairly elite rim runner in the NBA (I wish JJ Barrea was Canadian (and healthly) as they are a deadly pairing for the Mavs. I think Canada's bigs would at least be better than your #5 of Zubac/Saric (but that 's my own homer alert).

Comment

Great find on Embiid/Siakam (Cameroon) and Horford/Towns (Dominican Republic). Just after mentioning Horford I remembered Towns being international and it appears they are from same country.

Which 2 would be best USA's bigs for WC19, you think?

Think about bigs today in NBA. It goes something like this (more or less random):

1. Jokic
              2. Davis
              3. Embiid.
              4. Capela
              5. Vucevic
              6. Horford.
              7. Towns.
              8. Gobert.
              9. Gasol/Sabonis
              10. Drummond.
              11. Boogy.
              12. Turner.

There's only few USA centers and only 1 Davis among top 5, IMO.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Jokic + Bjelica is a frightening combination.
                FENERBAHÇE
                --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019, 2020 Turkish Basketball Cup Champion ---
                --- 1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022 Turkish Basketball League Champion ---
                --- 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
                --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

Comment

For France, the expected starters should be Gobert/Labeyrie. Doubtful that Lauvergne is in the final list but things might change depending on players's health/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                    France: Gobert, Lauvergne
                    As stated by raph above, Joffrey Lauvergne will most likely not even be selected by Vincent Collet and french staff for WC 2019

Originally posted by raph View Post
                    For France, the expected starters should be Gobert/Labeyrie. Doubtful that Lauvergne is in the final list but things might change depending on players's health/etc.
                    I hope Moerman will be the one starting at position 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Prancūzėlis_ZLD View Post
                      As stated by raph above, Joffrey Lauvergne will most likely not even be selected by Vincent Collet and french staff for WC 2019

I hope Moerman will be the one starting at position 4.
                      I think there is more complementarity between Gobert/Labeyrie (on the paper) and Fall/Moerman from the bench knowing starters or bench does not really matter. Collet will probably use the best frontline against any game match up.

Anyway it remains to be seen who will be available. Gobert is certainly not a sure thing considering his contract, esp. if he gets injured during the remaining season/post season. The good thing being that we have options like Poirier behind (or Fall since i doubt we would bring 3 pure centers).

The most critical part is our backcourt anyway, knowing Collet has to learn from last campaigns and bring in role players in the line up to take care of the defense (would it be Ouatarra, Toupane or anyone else). Especially with players like Gobert and Batum who were awful defending the pnr back in 2015 (euro) and 2016 (Olympics). I still make nightmares from the game they played agianst Australia

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                        One super man NTs are quite few. Like Montenegro with Vucevic, or Horford as Dominican. But the Twin Towers...not so many countries have 2 truly elite bigs.

As for Greece? It's between Bourousis and Pappagianis I guess. Would you see Giannis as 4 at FIBA?
                        Greece has a huge problem when it comes to bigs.

Bourousis is getting too old.

Papagiannis returned in a godawful shape from the US and, barring a miracle, there's absolutely no way he'll be ready for the WC.

The only remaining option is Koufos, so don't be surprised if you see Greece trying Giannis as a 5 in China...

Comment

Greg slaughter and junmar fajardo
                          To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                          1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Untill Gasols brothers are playing i see them being best twin towers argubly best ever in fiba competion.Wouldnt be suprised seeing Pau still averaging like 14-15pts in wc 2019 even at age of 39.Greatness is greatness (sabonis showed that at age 39 in his last season)

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                              Untill Gasols brothers are playing i see them being best twin towers argubly best ever in fiba competion.Wouldnt be suprised seeing Pau still averaging like 14-15pts in wc 2019 even at age of 39.Greatness is greatness (sabonis showed that at age 39 in his last season)
                              Nah, I don't think so any more. 2 years will be passed since 2017EB. He barely cracks rotation in NBA. He still will be useful as a veteran, but he won't go after such numbers, IMO.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information