Thread: Can James Harden be stopped internationally?

Default Can James Harden be stopped internationally?

I know he played in FIBA before but he's a different beast today. Can his bag of tricks translate to the international level? What do our Euro friends think

Last edited by sinobball; 01-22-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    aim low, score high

if a game is called fairly, he would be called for travelling and play acting on every second possession lol...but since FIBA lost their balls long time ago regarding Team USA and how refs treat them, I'd expect the usual NBA BS to translate to FIBA game as well...

I guess nobody here watched the 2014 fiba Worlds. I am sure the games are easy to find.
    Or to save time you can just watch the semi and final. Yeah he’s a different player today, he’s better. So if he had en easy time 5 years ago I am sure it be only easier for him today.

Play acting is not unique to him and not Fiba.
    Guys like Vlade Divac, Manu Ginobili, and the Spanish National team come to mind as well. That stuff always goes on and some take it to another level and Harden is definitely included with the group above.
    Last edited by usagre; 01-22-2019 at 11:12 PM.

if refs would analyse their mistakes after games,Harden should be fouled out in every game ,all fauls would be in offensive side...But i cant blame Harden if refs allow and also gives bonuses for that to him so why stop doing it? But its getting funny basically you can even hold your hand anymore playing him,because Harden gonna grab it by himself and shoot ridiculous shot and go to free throw line )

A lot of traveling and he would make a lot of offensive fouls too.

But that wouldn't be enough to stop him, it would only slow his penetration and dribbles a little bit, he is still an excellent shooter no one can do anything about it.
    FENERBAHÇE BASKETBALL
    --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019 Turkish Cup Champion ---
    ---1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 Turkish League Champion ---
    ---2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

Yes.
    Or, to put it more correctly, I think Harden will not be unstoppable, unlike Durant was. He will probably be beasting, but he won't be bailed out with phantom foul calls and his traveling would not be missed. That takes away a lot from his game.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

He averages 52pts recently. No matter what kind of a league it is today, it's amazing. It's still NBA after all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    He averages 52pts recently. No matter what kind of a league it is today, it's amazing. It's still NBA after all.
    his team's surrent situation demands him to score every single one of those points and more - he's basically a one man army at this point and he still keeps shooting even if he's going 1 for 20 from the three point land...a guy is in similar situation like Kobe Bryant was in the middle 00's when Shaq departed and there was no one competent left to share the scoring load. In other words, a classic case of a guy being not as good as his numbers suggest he is

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    his team's surrent situation demands him to score every single one of those points and more - he's basically a one man army at this point and he still keeps shooting even if he's going 1 for 20 from the three point land...a guy is in similar situation like Kobe Bryant was in the middle 00's when Shaq departed and there was no one competent left to share the scoring load. In other words, a classic case of a guy being not as good as his numbers suggest he is
    That’s a good comparison with Kobe from ‘05-‘07 (post Shaq and pre Gasol). But the difference is in those years Kobe was in the lottery or bounced in the first round. Harden has won a league MVP and made multiple conference finals. But if the Rockets miss the playoffs or are bounced early this year then for this year your comparison to Kobe in those years is 100% spot on.

Harden's last 263 points were unassisted. I don't know how this is possible, and I'm not sure what this implies, but it's crazy.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    That’s a good comparison with Kobe from ‘05-‘07 (post Shaq and pre Gasol). But the difference is in those years Kobe was in the lottery or bounced in the first round. Harden has won a league MVP and made multiple conference finals. But if the Rockets miss the playoffs or are bounced early this year then for this year your comparison to Kobe in those years is 100% spot on.
    the main reason why I don't really acknowledge or appreciate Harden's game is because I feel like refs have a hand in his scoring outbursts as well as his own talent and doing - I never felt this way with Kobe even If I despised his selfish game as well too. At least Bryant earned all of his rings and accolades fair and square, without any helping hand steering him to the path of greatness. I just don't feel this way with Harden and I know plenty of reputable NBA analysts who feel the same way as well

"He is like a much better version of Steve Nash. And Nash won 2 MVP's playing in a Mike D'Antoni Offense. Harden was a great player before he played in that system. Current Rockets are a lottery team without Harden."

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Pretty sure Harden can't carry this team to the finals without CP3 and Capela. So I think Kobe comparison makes sense.
    FENERBAHÇE BASKETBALL
    ---1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 Turkish League Champion ---

there is a difference between "selling" an actual foul to the ref with body language and flopping. selling the foul is pretty common among euro players, if you get fouled you overact, everybody does it, refs don't see a problem with it.

the harden situation is different though. harden has gone beyond flopping, he even locks arms with defenders to get a foul call. also the guy travels, a lot. he can start a traveling agency ffs.

european refs are very strict about traveling, offensive fouls and flopping. especially about traveling. harden palms the ball or goes under the ball a lot, not even mentioning his extra steps. the guy is spoiled by the nba, but he would still dominate other tournaments. after a few traveling/offensive-technical foul calls he will get used the euro style officiating and keep on owning.

harden is a total package. imho only nba "superstar" that his game won't translate to euro bball is westbrick. the guy can't shoot, has zero court vision and bball iq. no coach will put up with his stat padding bs.
    Last edited by drskull; 01-28-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    sex, droga i bodiroga.

he wont score this much consistently every game night but we cant deny he has a good stroke and he learns how refs does the calls. so he will still score a lot on an average compared to most other players.but like what the others are saying, he'll get more travelling and offensive fouls earlier, but he will be able to adjust. its not like he has low IQ
    WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
    SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Smaller court makes it a tad easier to stop guys like him, also a different rule set... I do not believe Harden will be as dominant internationaly as Curry and KD can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

FENERBAHÇE BASKETBALL

Doncic, former EL mvp made a good point on how it's harder to score in EL;

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...ore-nba-europe

I think Harden would still average at least 20 pts in EL though due to being a great shooter, but not those 30 points casually.
    FENERBAHÇE BASKETBALL