No announcement yet.

The dawn of USA NT crisis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can’t take Canada seriously until they actually accomplish something. And Australia also has to show me a lot more as well. France is pretty deep but being Tony Parkerless will hurt them. But I agree things are fluid and you can’t tell what the future holds. But that also goes for United States talent that might not appear to be there now but can arise at any moment.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

If I had to guess and using historical participation in World Championships as a guide, these are the 15 probable players in the pool that will make the roster this summmer.

D. Lillard
      M. Conley
      K. Walker

D. Mitchell
      V. Oladipo
      B. Beal
      D. Booker

D. DeRozan
      K. Middleton
      McCollum

T. Harris
      J. Tatum
      B. Griffin

A. Drummond
      D. Jordan.

Definitely a B level team similar to the previous teams that have participated in the past.

Comment

Not scary. Probably will win tournament, maybe even comfortably, but simply not scary. With a good defence, if some teams will line very mobile and strong defensive unit, things might happen, I don't see superstars who can brake any defence. Off course, this team has shooters and that will probably help them to live an easy life.
        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
        Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Until Team USA gets beaten again, I see all these premature talks of possible decline silly to begin with. The thing with american team and US basketball in general is that they ALWAYS have the best guards compared to the rest of the competition and while other teams might be able to form better frontlines, it still doesn't matter one bit if your guards can't cross their own halfcourt line lol. Spain in the late 00's and early 10's had some quality guards of comparable quality and that's why they were able to play any USA squad tough, but their heyday seems to be over as well and there is no other international team with elite backcourt present yet I'm afraid...thus, another easy ride to the Gold for americans in 2019 I'm afraid

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
            Until Team USA gets beaten again, I see all these premature talks of possible decline silly to begin with.
            I agree.

Comment

Team USA's biggest issues post Dream Team was always management and rarely players. They're well managed now. They'll be fine until that changes.

Comment

Individual Talent wise, the USA team that played in the 2008 Olympics was the best in recent memory. However the 2014 and 2016 team was by far the best. They simply towered over everyone because the players were perfectly suited to the international game.

It is true that USA is going to field weaker teams going forward. But the Euro teams and Latin American teams are also in decline.

Comment

If anything I feel like it’s gotten easier as opposed to harder. In the Olympics 2008 final vs Spain was their toughest game and best chance at being eliminated. 2012 final was still extremely competitive but not as threatening as ‘08 since USA was up 11 with about a minute to go. And in 2016 there was really no threat at all at being eliminated. And that’s what it really comes down to. Close calls in preliminary round games really don’t mean that much. And in the world championships since the defeat to Greece in ‘06 the United States played 8 knockout games combined in ‘10 and ‘14 that were all decided before the fourth quarter. Never threatened at all.

Comment

Originally posted by PetterJhon
                    Hello guys,,
                    I don't think it's any secret that there was an unusually talented generation born between about 1984 and 1988, and that group is starting to age out of national team play. OTOH we ought to be able to put out teams at least as talented as the 2014 WC team, and they won the championship quite comfortably. Big question is whether Popovich (and his successor) will be as good a fit as K was.
                    yup, that particular generation of US players is unusually talented even for their lofty standards, and seeing how most of these players are quickly aging out of NT play, I suspect there will be many more games and tournaments which are way too close and stressful for the muricans to sit through...And even if Pops is a great NBA coach, assembling and leading an international team takes completely different skills and people management abilities.

Comment

Max don't quote guys who steal other users words from this thread Read the whole thread.
                      LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                      Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

hard to talk about crisis,when last game usa lost was in 2006...13 years...But if we look at history 1972-1988-2004-2020? every 16 years miracle happens

Comment

I think this summer there’s a much greater chance to pick off team USA than at 2020 Olympics. Historically the units are much more talented in the latter coupled with the increased value that the tournament has among the players.
                          I think the transition away from Coach K to Popovich should also be taken into consideration. Easier to pick them off I think in year one of the program as opposed to later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                            You have to be blind if you believe you have a superstar of Lebron/Durant/Kobe branch younger than 25yo. The last true superstar is Davis. Players like Brooker and Tatum just doesn't have the same upside, frame, uniqueness.

Someone very well said, that Lebron was setting the tone, actually Kobe as well. Than Durant played some important role in some tournaments. Those lifted USA to the level of unbeatable. USA is massive, they will have best rosters in the world constantly, but the difference is that the new superstar generation in NBA is entirely International with Giannis, Embiid, Porzingis, ect.
                            I really wont be afraid for team usa. They have the deepest talents. Like e.g Harden was a third string star on the thunders behind Durant and Westbrook when all of a sudden *boom* his a league leading scorer/mvp candidate and most unstoppable offensive force in the NBA.

Comment

It'll moreso be about which country's NBA players decide to actually play for the team.

Australia has the most NBA talent, then Canada, and then Lithuania. JV turns into a legit superstar when playing for his national team though so we'll see.nox vidmate mobdro

Comment

@Straight forward, what's your take on this now?
                                5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information