Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The dawn of USA NT crisis?

Team USA's biggest issues post Dream Team was always management and rarely players. They're well managed now. They'll be fine until that changes.

Individual Talent wise, the USA team that played in the 2008 Olympics was the best in recent memory. However the 2014 and 2016 team was by far the best. They simply towered over everyone because the players were perfectly suited to the international game.

It is true that USA is going to field weaker teams going forward. But the Euro teams and Latin American teams are also in decline.

Hello everyone,,
    I don't know about Williamson, but first 2 seems to be far from Wade, Lebron, Durrant kind of superstar branch, IMO. I still see an obvious GoToMeeting IrfanViewTown of Salem lack of true superstars like you could clearly see they will form the face of NBA......

If anything I feel like it’s gotten easier as opposed to harder. In the Olympics 2008 final vs Spain was their toughest game and best chance at being eliminated. 2012 final was still extremely competitive but not as threatening as ‘08 since USA was up 11 with about a minute to go. And in 2016 there was really no threat at all at being eliminated. And that’s what it really comes down to. Close calls in preliminary round games really don’t mean that much. And in the world championships since the defeat to Greece in ‘06 the United States played 8 knockout games combined in ‘10 and ‘14 that were all decided before the fourth quarter. Never threatened at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PetterJhon View Post
    Hello guys,,
    I don't think it's any secret that there was an unusually talented generation born between about 1984 and 1988, and that group is starting to age out of national team play. OTOH we ought to be able to put out teams at least as talented as the 2014 WC team, and they won the championship quite comfortably. Big question is whether Popovich (and his successor) will be as good a fit as K was.
    yup, that particular generation of US players is unusually talented even for their lofty standards, and seeing how most of these players are quickly aging out of NT play, I suspect there will be many more games and tournaments which are way too close and stressful for the muricans to sit through...And even if Pops is a great NBA coach, assembling and leading an international team takes completely different skills and people management abilities.

Max don't quote guys who steal other users words from this thread Read the whole thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

hard to talk about crisis,when last game usa lost was in 2006...13 years...But if we look at history 1972-1988-2004-2020? every 16 years miracle happens

I think this summer there’s a much greater chance to pick off team USA than at 2020 Olympics. Historically the units are much more talented in the latter coupled with the increased value that the tournament has among the players.
    I think the transition away from Coach K to Popovich should also be taken into consideration. Easier to pick them off I think in year one of the program as opposed to later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    You have to be blind if you believe you have a superstar of Lebron/Durant/Kobe branch younger than 25yo. The last true superstar is Davis. Players like Brooker and Tatum just doesn't have the same upside, frame, uniqueness.

Someone very well said, that Lebron was setting the tone, actually Kobe as well. Than Durant played some important role in some tournaments. Those lifted USA to the level of unbeatable. USA is massive, they will have best rosters in the world constantly, but the difference is that the new superstar generation in NBA is entirely International with Giannis, Embiid, Porzingis, ect.
    I really wont be afraid for team usa. They have the deepest talents. Like e.g Harden was a third string star on the thunders behind Durant and Westbrook when all of a sudden *boom* his a league leading scorer/mvp candidate and most unstoppable offensive force in the NBA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12