UAAP Season 82

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    And this hurts. Juan, not Ricci, not Kobe, not Bright, will be the catalyst of UP's championship aspirations. Bright is a staple, and while there are three to four imports better than him today, it matters that he gets double double day in day out. And yes, Ream is correct when I get pissed with Bright missing easy lay-ins which is a result of lack of focus and concentration. It's his tendency as well to think twice before making a move instead of taking it strong. Once he hesitates, his shot would get swatted most of the time. Ricci is flair and looks good to watch, but he's not someone who can rack up 10 points in a jiffy. Kobe is ok, but he's no catalyst. It's really Juan who can turn the game around - at both ends of the court at that. That's why if UP will go far, they need Juan to play no less than 25 minutes a game. But Manzo (and Mantilla) is eating up his floor burn time when the two would deserve a combined 3 minutes of playing time. That's how bad these two point guards are. I don't care if people would say Manzo scored the last 4 FT"s in the FEU game, and his pressure defense at the start of the 3Q against Adamson helped the team build momentum to rally. Anyone else could have done that - Juan would have made the comeback swifter had he been on the court longer. Manzo is just a terrible sight to watch.
    it's a head-scratcher how juan, college ball's best PG, is backing up manzo. what's even more astounding is up choosing to exercise the one-and done loophole to sign another pg who would eat away from juan's minutes. i mean if they needed a third string guard, siguro naman they have some prospects from team B. they could've gotten a one and done big man to back up bright instead.

is perasol planning on shifting juan into a 2 guard? if so, that would be a terrible decision since juan's strengths lies in his ability to create. I think UP's best 5/closing 5 should be juan, ricci, kobe, javi, and bright. maybe even jaboneta could replace ricci for more shooting.

Comment

• How would you guys rank the "imports"

Ange then?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuck View Post
        How would you guys rank the "imports"

Ange then?
        Ange
        Chabi Yo
        Bright
        Lenda
        Diakhite
        TChuente
        Gaye

Comment

• I always feel like in ranking players they should be tiered so Im gonna go.

Ange

Chabi Yo, Lenda , Bright

Diakhite

Gaye

Tchuente

After seeing Kobe play if he plays like that all the time only Lenda and Ange have a chance of protecting the rim against him.

Comment

• Originally posted by dubidub View Post
            it's a head-scratcher how juan, college ball's best PG, is backing up manzo. what's even more astounding is up choosing to exercise the one-and done loophole to sign another pg who would eat away from juan's minutes. i mean if they needed a third string guard, siguro naman they have some prospects from team B. they could've gotten a one and done big man to back up bright instead.

is perasol planning on shifting juan into a 2 guard? if so, that would be a terrible decision since juan's strengths lies in his ability to create. I think UP's best 5/closing 5 should be juan, ricci, kobe, javi, and bright. maybe even jaboneta could replace ricci for more shooting.
            That's the best 5 of UP. Still missing chemistry but it can be potent, especially if no one among them acts like the alpha dog, or defers to someone to serve as such. Otherwise, it'll be chaotic.

Going back, there's no reason why Juan shouldn't be playing anywhere less than 25 minutes a game. He's practically unguardeable, and while his defense can be questionable at times, he's still better than any of the UP point guards. That steal off an Ahanmisi pass in the final 15 seconds is proof positive of Juan's feel for the game. And he can only get this if given the time to play.

There are times when I wish Manzo would just get into foul trouble every time. It forces Bo to not field him inside the game and Juan is given more latitude to strut his stuff. Matter of fact, I'd rather see Manzo and Mantilla as the 15th and 16th players off the bench. If Bo would prefer to start with a more "balanced" lineup that will have defensive players, I understand why he'd put in Murrell, Spencer and / or Webb in combination with any of the 5 stars. But in crunchtime, I'd like Bo to make sure that these 5 are there to close out the game, and just make situational offensive / defensive substitutions. Webb can relieve Javi or Kobe, Murrell can relieve Javi or Ricci while Spencer can relieve Ricci.

Until Bo gets it, it'll be a constant struggle for the Fighting Maroons to live up to their pre-tournament billing.

Comment

I always feel like in ranking players they should be tiered so Im gonna go.

Ange

Chabi Yo, Lenda , Bright

Diakhite

Gaye

Tchuente

After seeing Kobe play if he plays like that all the time only Lenda and Ange have a chance of protecting the rim against him.
              Ange, Lenda _> Complete package of length and presence only Ange has experience
              Chabi Yo, Bright undersized

Alex
              Gaye.tchuente
              To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
              1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
                Ange, Lenda _> Complete package of length and presence only Ange has experience
                Chabi Yo, Bright undersized

Alex
                Gaye.tchuente
                Chabi Yo, like Mbala is more of a wing but forced to play big by their team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Money View Post
                  Ange
                  Chabi Yo
                  Bright
                  Lenda
                  Diakhite
                  TChuente
                  Gaye
                  Kouame
                  Chabi Yo
                  Douanga
                  Akhutie
                  Diakhite
                  Gaye / Tchuente

Comment

• Originally posted by xenoloxy View Post
                    Chabi Yo, like Mbala is more of a wing but forced to play big by their team.
                    Mbala could at least guard bigs and protect the rim.

Comment

• King Booker for me is a better import than ange imo lang ah..its just that Ange fits well with tab scheme of things

Comment

King Booker for me is a better import than ange imo lang ah..its just that Ange fits well with tab scheme of things
                        Ange absolutely destroyed King Book when they played each other his motor is unreal

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
                          But what were tamayo's numbers against top teams like Serbia, Argentina and Russia? His numbers improved dramatically at the latter games where we faced lower tier teams like china. Ironically, Kai's numbers went down during those games.

Athleticism, just like height, gives you some margin for mistakes. You can be a little late on the switch and still swat that ball from behind etc. Carl really has to be close to perfect on other aspects of his game for him to make a good piece for the NT. His positioning, timing, his read must be great, and his shooting (offensive end) must be near sure ball when open. And he has to improve a lot on his court vision. People call paras out for his tunnel vision but Tamayo is way worse based on his 2 stints at the worlds. He touches to ball, it's almost automatic he'll force that shot. He'll make good sometimes coz he's a natural scorer but sometimes it ends up in turnover. Well, he's just 19 and 6'8 now? If isaac go is still being considered, why not him? He's a bit taller, has the better handles and mobility.
                          You're correct, Tamayo scored measly against Greece, Argentina, Serbia & Australia and he scored well against lower tier such as New Zealand & China. Well, that only goes to show na ibang level na if we face the top tier world teams. At least in the Asia-Pacific level (except Australia), Tamayo can excel.

The point here is that among our young players in the 17 to 23 year-old age bracket, Tamayo is among the best big men we have.
                          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Ange absolutely destroyed King Book when they played each other his motor is unreal
                            imo its just the conditioning..

Comment

• At times, Kobe moves like a more explosive RDO

Comment

imo its just the conditioning..
                                ange is far superior than lenda. not to belittle lenda, it's just that ange is on another level. only other import who's at par with ange (or at par) is mbala. ange stands out in ateneo in a system where it's hard to stand out. if ange was playing on a different team, he'd rack up gaudier numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information