No announcement yet.

Qualification Tracking (all zones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The top seeds will be tournament hosts China and the seven best ranked qualified teams - USA, Spain, France, Serbia, Argentina, Lithuania and Greece.

The complete draw procedures, based on the ranking and geographical principles, will be published during the week leading up to the next milestone event on the Road to China 2019.
    The FIBA World Ranking Men, presented by NIKE, has been updated after the February window brought the curtain down on the Qualifiers for the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019.

Comment

Hmm I don't know how I feel about the host being in pot 1, I suppose it's to give them an easier path, promote bigger crowds etc.

The other seven are perfectly fine however.
      Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
        Hmm I don't know how I feel about the host being in pot 1, I suppose it's to give them an easier path, promote bigger crowds etc.

The other seven are perfectly fine however.
        Indeed. I don't remember any host bein' in top pot lately, just cause it's hosts. Nor in Olympics, nor in World Cup. Now, with especially such a big gap between China and other 1st seeds - it looks like a nonsense. China will be like a gift for lower seeded teams

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
          Indeed. I don't remember any host bein' in top pot lately, just cause it's hosts. Nor in Olympics, nor in World Cup. Now, with especially such a big gap between China and other 1st seeds - it looks like a nonsense. China will be like a gift for lower seeded teams
          Top 8 Seeds Announced based on Todays updated Rankings http://www.fiba.basketball/rankingmen/

The FIBA World Ranking Men, presented by NIKE, has been updated after the February window brought the curtain down on the Qualifiers for the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019.

China, USA, Spain, France, Serbia, Argentina, Lithuania and Greece.

Rest of the seeding process still not announced.

The wording in the press release makes it seem like it will be rankings with geographic considerations:
          Here are the HYPOTHETICAL pots just on ranking:
          1. CHI-USA-ESP-FRA-SRB-ARG-LIT-GRE
          2. RUS-AUS-BRA-ITA-P.R-TUR-DOM-VEN
          3. GER-CAN-CZE-POL.IRN-MTN-PHI-KOR
          4. NIG-SEN-NZL-ANG-JAP-JOR-TUN-CMF

That would a nice FIBA cruel joke to see Canada win FIBA Americas but be the worst seeded Americas team. They told us the regional qualifier results mattered - did they publicly lie?

Comment

So basically fiba is saying it doesn't matter what place you took in qualification 1st or 3rd...some teams would have sended u-18 teams to last window if they knew that...

Obviously from okenasia side Australia should have been in pot 1 not China. Chinas place in 3 pot by both rating and results in qf.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
              So basically fiba is saying it doesn't matter what place you took in qualification 1st or 3rd...some teams would have sended u-18 teams to last window if they knew that...

Obviously from okenasia side Australia should have been in pot 1 not China. Chinas place in 3 pot by both rating and results in qf.
              Not exactly true. Every win counted in qualifiers and it had impact on ranking, which was updated after each window. Final place in standings wasn't crucial, but wins/losses ratio was

Comment

Not exactly true. Every win counted in qualifiers and it had impact on ranking, which was updated after each window. Final place in standings wasn't crucial, but wins/losses ratio was
                Even if wins counted in fiba rankings I didn't see moving up for lithuanian in rankings with 11 wins. It's seems like one win in qf is worth less than 1 point in rankings... Slovenia lost almost all games still up there in same place.

Comment

Even if wins counted in fiba rankings I didn't see moving up for lithuanian in rankings with 11 wins. It's seems like one win in qf is worth less than 1 point in rankings... Slovenia lost almost all games still up there in same place.
                  I believe the QF games matter but they are just worth very little points.
                  Canada I think was flat at 23rd (or maybe even moved down a spot or two) even after going 10-2, winning the pool and even had a better point differential than the USA (so technically we may have won the FIBA Americas but moved no where in the rankings). Still too much weight on what happened 4, 6, 8 years ago.

Comment

They announced the change before days before the window

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                      I believe the QF games matter but they are just worth very little points.
                      Canada I think was flat at 23rd (or maybe even moved down a spot or two) even after going 10-2, winning the pool and even had a better point differential than the USA (so technically we may have won the FIBA Americas but moved no where in the rankings). Still too much weight on what happened 4, 6, 8 years ago.
                      I wish they posted the point changes instead of the position changes. It would make it easier to understand for everyone involved.

Comment

For some stupid reason they don't archive their full rankings, however fiba had some articles from the different windows giving us some idea of the point changes

Present window. http://www.fiba.basketball/news/top-...ld-ranking-men

December window. http://www.fiba.basketball/news/gree...ld-ranking-men

September window http://www.fiba.basketball/news/fran...sented-by-nike

US for example jumped from 767.1 in September to 793.7 now

while Spain fell from 704.1 in september to 703.4 now.

As to why, I have no idea lol. Both had similar records, though the US played a top 5 team in Argentina twice so that might have been a factor *shrug*.
                        Last edited by Dtown; 02-26-2019, 09:13 PM.
                        Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Of course it counted, that's what FIBA was sayin' ever since qualifiers started. They always were writing about updated ranking after each window, but since I don't care about it, I never paid attention. I think you can find how it works on ranking page

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                            For some stupid reason they don't archive their full rankings, however fiba had some articles from the different windows giving us some idea of the point changes

Present window. http://www.fiba.basketball/news/top-...ld-ranking-men

December window. http://www.fiba.basketball/news/gree...ld-ranking-men

September window http://www.fiba.basketball/news/fran...sented-by-nike

US for example jumped from 767.1 in September to 793.7 now

while Spain fell from 704.1 in september to 703.4 now.

As to why, I have no idea lol. Both had similar records, though the US played a top 5 team in Argentina twice so that might have been a factor *shrug*.
                            Even though FIBA's ranking formula is very simple--too simple--it is apparently too complicated for me as I can't figure out how the US rating could possibly have improved over each of the last two windows.

Anyway, while the FIBA ranking is stupid, trying to divine some sort of qualification rankings between teams that played in different groups against different opponenents is even more stupid, so using FIBA ranking for the draw with some mechanism for ensuring geographical diversity in the groups is a reasonable way to go.
                            Originally posted by Fedfan
                            Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                            Originally posted by GuTO
                            refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

There are so many mediocre/bad teams in this extended field that for me if you can’t finish second in your group I have no sympathy for you.
                              Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

3 out of the 8 groups are gonna be extremely weak. If you consider that Iran, Philippines, and South Korea will be in Pot 3. If you factor the geographical principles and the teams in Pot 4 that means those 3 teams will probably be grouped with an African team in Pot 4 or New Zealand. Now that makes those 3 groups really weak. So the top two teams in those groups definitely have no excuses.
                                Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information