X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J@M View Post
    Core Team

6. Rhayyan Amsali - Asia U16, World U17, Asia U18, Bullpup, Red Cubs. Rhayyan Amsali seemed underwhelming on his previous stints with the junior national team. Playing for the stacked Bullpups, he was playing a complementary role. He did not play Juniors ball last season because of residency. But in the recent NBTC tournament, Amsali has shown tremendous improvement. He looks confident with his outside shot, skills were on full display (step back 3s, finishing around the basket), and embraced the alpha role. He looks small for a wing, looks like he bulked up a bit. But I think he should be closing games as our top wing player.

5. Gerry Abadiano - World U17, Asia U18, Bullpups. Gerry Abadiano is a winner. He is already a two-time NBTC winner and last year's UAAP Champion. He would likely have won at age 16 as the lead PG for Adamson (who had lost only once in the first 13 games in 2016-2017) before the Serrano fiasco. This year's NU's team lost only once and will play in this year's Filoil finals. Yes, has good teammates to support him but he has led "dominant" Juniors team. For me, the three best point guard in the juniors level are J. Cagulangan,
    Gerry, and M. Nonoy. Cagulangan is your pure PG while M. Nonoy is your athletic scoring PG. Gerry is not exactly better but is the hybrid of the two.

Gerry is a "steady" point guard who knows how to set-up his teammates, understands spacing and hit open corner three pointers, can attack the rim finish strong (stocky built) or finish in crafty ways (unorthodox floaters or euro). He is good in reading P&R (having good bigs in NU helps) and is very good on isolations pulling up from the mid-range.

Abadiano has shown that he can play internationally. In the World U17, he played the same way and his game translated. Along with Carl and Kai, they were the only one who were sure of themselves and was not intimadated. Unfortunately, he struggled in U18 playing limited minutes as a back up (not used to play back-up?). Based on his resume and precedent he is worthy of starting minutes.

4. Dave Ildefonso - Eaglets, Asia U18. No question asked, one of the top players on these team. A triple threat who plays the right way. His biggest strength is posting up smaller guys inside. He has a unique style of getting the ball on the catch, if he doesnt have the advantage on a straight line drive he will bully ball his defender. He is very strong. Also, had a great rookie year as a freshman for the Bullpups. I'm curious how Coach Sandy will use him.

3. Carl Tamayo - World U17, Bullpups, Filoil. Carl could be the trump card when we play in the round of 16. He shows up in games that matter. He plays mostly as a 4 or 5 with the Bullpups but I find him passive. Standing around the perimeter or settling for threes on P&R plays. He is effective that way but his best games is when he is in attack mode. Driving hard to the basket or posting up inside. He draws foul when he do this. Internationally, we have only seen him in the World U17 and he is one of the few that can match up. Unfortunately, he got injured for the last two games and was not available to play in last year's Asia U18.

He will most likely play as the back up to either Kai or Edu. He can play the 3 but he doesn't have the reps on the defensive end. If Carl Tamayo hits some threes then becomes "aggresive" when defenders starts to close him out, it will increase our odds of winning some games and making it in the QF. I will not be surprised if he plays his best in the
    knockout stages (Round of 16).

2. Kai Sotto - Asia U16 World U17 Asia U18, Eaglets. On every level he has shown that he belongs. A good showing will increase his profile. Go get them Kai.

1. A.J. Edu - Asia U18. His instincts defensively is NBA Level. Has superb motor and hustles for rebounds (even at times he has no chance to get). He is the best player of this team and will be the corner stone of Philippine Basketball. Hopefully he finds a way to play in the Seniors Team of the FIBA WC.
    we dont want abadiano to play point since the strength of the team is with its bigman , gerry would be playing more in the 2 spot , making him a liabilty in defense against much taller kids. i think if gerry get the nod for the final 12 he'll be the 8th or 9th player off the bench.

by the way dave is with the bulldogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
      I think so to but Greece wouldn’t have lost by 34, not to mention for sure all those teams have also gotten better as they had their own preparation.
      thats why nasabi ko na maturity talaga.. i still think we should be best asian team in bangkok and we shouldnt lost that much against baby boomers
      To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
      1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• At the end of the day, fans keep perpetuating the errors that the pba way is the best way to prepare for asian and world fiba games. It never was, and failure evidence and videos are thick. It was only for the purely physical nature of pba players being fit as they play for 10 months, and have older and more mature bodies that their employers can force by employee discipline to weight and conditioning gear.

Will you be serious to say that the 19yearold versions of today's pba players are better than our u19 nt boys???? Pangbarya pa lang si fajardo ng 19 laban edu, at 17 laban kai. Pero pang 5time mvp na siya ng pba.

The best ways are competing in international invitationals here and elsewhere. Pero pangbarya din at walang pba team na regularly involved laban asian and world pro teams kahit annual exercises.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomcat View Post
          Ateneo Blue Eagle won over Greece U-21 national team last year and if that will be the basis then the Batang Gilas U-19 have a fighting chance against Greece U-19..
          Exhibition game lang to di ba?

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
            i still think australia u19 is better than greece..maturity na lng ng rest of the team..
            You seem to know a lot about Greece, pa tu lung naman, the staff are looking for scouting reports on them, pa share
            NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
            https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
              Jones cup, I think
              Training camp in Greece where ateneo played their u21 , some pro Greek and their senior team. Ateneo then went on to dominate the UAAP and win the championship. Not to mention they beat that u21 team on a buzzer beater meaning the game was close and tight.
              Last edited by TheRodster21; 06-21-2019, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
                Jones cup, I think
                I think this was in greece against the u21 team. Which means to say this is not a regular team but a rag tag set of players in team B.

Comment

• Originally posted by manu_bol View Post
                  The best guard for RP in the last asian u18 was oczon.

At thr end of the day, its all about performance. Kahit san ka pa galing.
                  Really, the best PG? Where and when does he play PG?
                  NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

• Greece will fight very hard, more so in the shaded lane, not to be embarrassed in their home court. It is crucial that volume perimeter shooting and spot selections are thoroughly practiced to neutralize homecourt warriorism. Thats what kazakhs and koreans do against home nts.

Comment

• Originally posted by eiji_sawakita View Post
                      What can you say, PBA is the poster child of the motto "No Progress".
                      agree , result of their closed door policy on globalization.

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                        Really, the best PG? Where and when does he play PG?
                        Let manu_bol be. He doesnt like filfors much. Let's just say he overappreciates the international capabilities of local guards.

Comment

• Originally posted by manu_bol View Post
                          The best guard for RP in the last asian u18 was oczon.

At thr end of the day, its all about performance. Kahit san ka pa galing.
                          I agree. Saw it that way as well.

Comment

• Saw Kai's dunks vs FEU (an alley-hoop from AJ other from a nice drive from the baseline) from his post at IG.
                            But I'm rather interested on his perimeter game which he worked in the US. there's a big difference if you can do it in work outs vs actual games.

I think he needs to be a consistent perimeter threat as well to give him a fighting chance against tall heavy defenders in the worlds.

Comment

• Originally posted by ccharmed View Post
                              Let manu_bol be. He doesnt like filfors much. Let's just say he overappreciates the international capabilities of local guards.
                              If it was Kehei Clark of Virginia who is joining in a week's time he should easily start.

But between the available guards called up for this class. I think there should be competition and not just grant it away because of the overseas experience premise.

Comment

• Originally posted by J@M View Post
                                I agree. Saw it that way as well.
                                To be fair the coach Josh singled out Oczon as a player who performed beyond expectations and was indeed one of the best players not from big 4.
                                However I did talk to Josh right after our loss in semis and he did say both Abadiano and Oczon do not know and have experience playing PG. Of course he's referring to PG internationally. And it did show..

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information