Thread: 40th William Jones Cup in Taiwan - July 14-22

Default 40th William Jones Cup in Taiwan - July 14-22

I haven't heard much about this year's tournament so I thought I'd post what I know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_William_Jones_Cup

Similar makeup to last year. Taiwan A and B squads, Japan, Korea, Iran, and a Lithuania (LKL) club/all star team will all be returning, as well as reigning champions, 3D Canada. . India is out and will be replaced by Indonesia who are making their first appearance in recent memory. GILAS will not be representing The Philippines in the wake of the basketbrawl and will instead be represented by Ateneo University.

The venue will be at Xinzhuang stadium.
    We The North

I thought Iraq will be back in this year's Jones Cup after playing last year
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I thought Iraq will be back in this year's Jones Cup after playing last year
    They are already out of qualifiers just like india

Trans: Seems like their funds were pulled out after the dissapointing results in the qualifiers esp. india where fiba should really focus on like what fifa is doing to azkals...
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Just refer to the ctba site for the updated schedule..Gilas err Ateneos first game would be against taipei b on sunday
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

What should I know about Ateneo? Will they get stomped out? Any players to keep an eye on?
    We The North

i would say ateneo's top player would be thridy ravena. they also have a 6'10 rookie in angelo koume. however, ateneo plays great team basketball much like a european team. the blue eagles (ateneo's team name) is well drilled and well coached. tab baldwin has done a great job in turning this local team into a contender. will they be stomped out? i hope not. but they are boys going up against men in the jones cup. hopefully, the team gets a couple of W's.

on a side note, ateneo is on of the top universities here in the philippines and is very strict with their academic standards. it is pretty common for them to remove players from their roster because of academic deficiencies. thirdy was suspended from basketball activities for one year until he got his grades up. true student athletes, emphasis on the word students.

PS. i am not from that university. hehe!