Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Maccabi Tel-Aviv 2018/19

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    148
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    He hasn't been the first option for a while. Which might be what did the trick.
    Who's been "the first option" then? O'Bryant? Wilbekin is still going to end up leading that team in points.

    If you'd argue that having a well-balanced team and not relying on one player to take twenty shots a game is a good thing, then, yeah, of course. They've been playing much more cohesively lately and that'll lead to lesser point totals for him for the greater good of the team, but he's still the "first option."

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,884
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GatorsGators View Post
    Who's been "the first option" then? O'Bryant?
    No one really but definitely not Wilbekin.
    When he was the first option, it wasn't in doubt. And not because he averaged 20 shots.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    148
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    No one really but definitely not Wilbekin.
    When he was the first option, it wasn't in doubt. And not because he averaged 20 shots.
    He's definitely still their "first option." They're playing with more balance now, which is good, but their offense still runs through him whenever he's on the court.

    He had a bad stretch, no doubt. He's a good player.

    I wouldn't say Calathes is a bad player because he's been even more of a brick layer than usual this season and because Pana is 8-11. Sometimes good players have bad stretches, especially when they're being asked to do too much.

    Maccabi playing with more balance will help Wilbekin. But he's still their most important player, and if they're going to make the playoffs, will need him to be good and healthy.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Tevfik1907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    İstanbul / Trkiye
    Posts
    1,291
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GatorsGators View Post
    That's absurd. The last EL team he was on where he was the second or third option made the playoffs, and this Maccabi team, where he's the first option, has a very good chance of making the playoffs.
    He wasn't the third option, let alone second, lol. Wanamaker and Clyburn carried that team. It wasn't his team, it was Wanamaker's then Clyburn's. Adrien Moerman and James Anderson were as important as Wilbekin on that team.

    And it depends on your point of view if you consider that Dacka team as a EL playoff level team, for my point of view they were not (they finished the season at 8th place, they could easily lose that spot to Red Star) and Wilbekin didn't even carry that team.
    FENERBAHE BASKETBALL
    --- 1967, 2010-11(2), 2013, 2016, 2019-20(2) Turkish Cup Champion ---
    --- 1991, 2007-08(2), 2010-11(2), 2014, 2016-18(3) Turkish BSL Champion ---
    --- 2015-19(5) EuroLeague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 EuroLeague Champion ---

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    148
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tevfik1907 View Post
    He wasn't the third option, let alone second, lol. Wanamaker and Clyburn carried that team. It wasn't his team, it was Wanamaker's then Clyburn's. Adrien Moerman and James Anderson were as important as Wilbekin on that team.

    And it depends on your point of view if you consider that Dacka team as a EL playoff level team, for my point of view they were not (they finished the season at 8th place, they could easily lose that spot to Red Star) and Wilbekin didn't even carry that team.
    Wanamaker was that team's first option; Clyburn and Wilbekin traded off #2. If you think Anderson and Moerman were as influential on that team as Wilbekin, you're just mistaken. Wilbekin was pretty clearly their #2 option in their playoff series.

    Go back and read the threads from late that season. Wilbekin didn't "carry" the team, of course, but he was one of the key factors in their success, and no one really disagreed with that.

  6. #26
    Senior Member arelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    787
    Country: Israel

    Default Maccabi Tel Aviv Top 10 Plays In The Euroleague Season (2018/19)

    Best European Basketball Highlights Channel - AGHighlights
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKJ..._as=subscriber

  7. #27
    Senior Member arelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    787
    Country: Israel

    Default Tarik Black Best Dunks In 2018/19 Euroleague Season ● Maccabi Tel Aviv

    Best European Basketball Highlights Channel - AGHighlights
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKJ..._as=subscriber

  8. #28
    Senior Member arelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    787
    Country: Israel

    Default Maccabi Tel Aviv Best Plays&Moments From From 2018/19 Season!

    Best European Basketball Highlights Channel - AGHighlights
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKJ..._as=subscriber

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    148
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tevfik1907 View Post
    Wilbekin isn't a mediocre player but he isn't a main rotation player for a EL playoff level team.
    I'd like to revisit this statement.

  10. #30
    Senior Member CoachZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,538
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GatorsGators View Post
    I'd like to revisit this statement.
    You are trying to reason with Tefvik1907.

    Good luck dude...

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    148
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    You are trying to reason with Tefvik1907.

    Good luck dude...
    Ha! I don't know him that well so I'm not going to criticize him too harshly but the Fener hate towards Wilbekin last season was weird... They wanted him to be bad because Gherardini didn't want him (or couldn't afford him). He had a bad season last year but the talent was evident and he's an MVP candidate this season. It was just a bad take on Tefvik's part.

  12. #32
    Senior Member CoachZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,538
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GatorsGators View Post
    Ha! I don't know him that well so I'm not going to criticize him too harshly but the Fener hate towards Wilbekin last season was weird... They wanted him to be bad because Gherardini didn't want him (or couldn't afford him). He had a bad season last year but the talent was evident and he's an MVP candidate this season. It was just a bad take on Tefvik's part.
    Bad takes is what he excels at. Also, borderline nationalistic/racist tweets as well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •