Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Basketball Champions League-2018-19

Hey @TheMirror,
    big respect for argueing with so much patience. Let me guess: In real life you are a scocial worker or a teacher?

I have for you the explanation, which the guys from Bamberg failed to give. If Bamberg does not qualify for the Champions league via the Bundesliga, they will get a wild card from FIBA for the BCL qualification round - even, if they miss the german playoffs. So indeed they have to qualify for the Champions league somehow every year.

The story behind Bamberg's move: After recognizing, that they won't win the German league this year and with the ongoing rumors of Panathinaikos leaving the EL Bamberg approached the EL, if there were any chances for a wild card. Jordi answered: "Sorry, I don't have a wild card this year. And honestly: if we need a second team from Germany besides Bayern, we would take the German runner-up. Alba Berlin by the way also marketing-wise is more interesting for us. But, of course, you are welcome to join our EuroCup!"

About this Bamberg was so pissed, that they signed the deal with FIBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Spot View Post
    Hey @TheMirror,
    big respect for argueing with so much patience. Let me guess: In real life you are a scocial worker or a teacher?

I have for you the explanation, which the guys from Bamberg failed to give. If Bamberg does not qualify for the Champions league via the Bundesliga, they will get a wild card from FIBA for the BCL qualification round - even, if they miss the german playoffs. So indeed they have to qualify for the Champions league somehow every year.

The story behind Bamberg's move: After recognizing, that they won't win the German league this year and with the ongoing rumors of Panathinaikos leaving the EL Bamberg approached the EL, if there were any chances for a wild card. Jordi answered: "Sorry, I don't have a wild card this year. And honestly: if we need a second team from Germany besides Bayern, we would take the German runner-up. Alba Berlin by the way also marketing-wise is more interesting for us. But, of course, you are welcome to join our EuroCup!"

About this Bamberg was so pissed, that they signed the deal with FIBA.
    Oh so it wasn't alstruism and ideology?
    What a shocker...

And in real life I'm a cellular communicaton engineer

One of the arguments pro FIBA was, that every team - which participate in CL - has to qualify in a fair way over their results and the qualification system doesn't include wildcards based on god given values like metropoles, arenas and brands. Told by our GM in our Podcast, which was published today. Oh man, he is lying big time. Hopefully we qualify every year, otherwise this gonna be embarrassing.
    Last edited by thiago94; 07-07-2018 at 07:25 AM.

As far as this 5 year agreement is concerned, I think it is much more important for FIBA than for Bamberg. The BCL simply needed to insure that the Germans would play in their league and not go to the EL even if they win their championship. Of course, the team must have received something in return, but not necessarily a wildcard.

What else does FIBA have to offer them that other teams don't get?

Quote Originally Posted by iraz View Post
    As far as this 5 year agreement is concerned, I think it is much more important for FIBA than for Bamberg. The BCL simply needed to insure that the Germans would play in their league and not go to the EL even if they win their championship. Of course, the team must have received something in return, but not necessarily a wildcard.
    this is roughly what I thought it was. the way I see it, maybe naively, is that Bamberg told EL we are not going with you for the next 5 years. it's maybe out of resentment, for which they had a few valid reasons imho, and maybe they actually put their money where their mouth is (unlike PAO & DPG story so far).

why do they need a 5-year agreement if they qualify like everyone else? Maybe because they do not want to have a period of uncertainty as to which competition to choose every summer. they've made up their mind, it's the BCL, regardless if they win the local title or end up relegating. The only part which looks like WC here is that they have a place for qualification at any case. so, they have to prove they are better than another candidate, who has the same chance, if they are not good enough in the league, unlike it would be for ECA tournaments. it's not the same. actually it's a big difference.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

alright, the RS groups are decided.

Attached Images Attached Images
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    alright, the RS groups are decided.

Group C participant Eskişehir withdrawed both BSL and Basketball champions League tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by gockun View Post
    Group C participant Eskişehir withdrawed both BSL and Basketball champions League tonight.
    I wonder what FIBA will do now. Will they employ the ridiculous Europecup trick from last year, where the team that lost the qualifying round by the smallest aggregate will also qualify?
    can't wait to see that. Last year in the Europecup it lead to at least one case in which both teams, probably by pre-arrangement, deliberately played for a 1-point aggregate to help them both qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMirror View Post
    I wonder what FIBA will do now. Will they employ the ridiculous Europecup trick from last year, where the team that lost the qualifying round by the smallest aggregate will also qualify?
    can't wait to see that. Last year in the Europecup it lead to at least one case in which both teams, probably by pre-arrangement, deliberately played for a 1-point aggregate to help them both qualify.
    I predict they will add Karsiyaka to BCL from Europe Cup and no teams or another team to Europe Cup from Turkish BSL.
    Go Efes Pilsen - Go Turkey

Does the prize for the winner still remain in 1Million?

My Team Brose Bamberg now complete with latest Player Tyrese Rice

see my signatur

PS: but in the champion's eye Brice Taylor is considered non-German
    Last edited by Franke; 08-08-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    BROSE BAMBERG
    Coach : Ainars Bagatski (New )

Guards : Rice /
    Zisis / Stuckey / Taylor /Hickman/ Mc Dowell White
    Forwards : Kulboka / Heckmann / Olinde
    Bigs : Alexander / Rubit / Jelovac / / Harris

www.telekombasketball.de/news/bamberg-wie-im-rausch-hinter-den-kulissen-des-8-titels/1281"
    youtube.com/watch?v=vIoybUM6HIw / min 0,44 FREAKS

Quote Originally Posted by Franke View Post
    My Team Brose Bamberg now complete with latest Player Tyrese Rice

see my signatur
    For me, that's an ok but not particularly impressive roster. How Tyrece will be able to control himself is an enormously big question mark. A weak spot for me is 3 since Bamberg majorly lacks experience here. Yet I wish you a good luck in this season, having a city full of basketball freaks is great for BCL
    2013/2014 IBN Euroleague Prediction Game Winner

Thrash 'till Death!

ITALIAN TEAMS ROSTERS

REYER VENEZIA (coach Walter De Raffaele):
    Julyan Stone - Marco Giuri - Andrea De Nicolao
    Marquez Haynes - Stefano Tonut
    Michael Bramos - Tomas Kyzlink - Bruno Cerella
    Austin Daye - Deron Washington - Valerio Mazzola
    Gasper Vidmar - Mitchell Watt - Paul Biligha

VIRTUS BOLOGNA (coach Stefano Sacripanti):
    Tony Taylor - Alessandro Pajola
    Kevin Punter - David Cournooh
    Pietro Aradori - Kelvin Martin
    Amath M’Baye - Filippo Baldi Rossi
    Brian Qvale - Dejan Kravic

SIDIGAS SCANDONE AVELLINO (Coach Nenad Vucinic) :
    Keifer Sykes - Ariel Filloy
    Norris Cole - Lorenzo D’Ercole
    Demetris Nichols - Luca Campogrande
    Caleb Green - Luca Campani
    Matt Costello - Hamady N’diaye

The goal of these teams is to reach the quarterfinals of the competition. In my opinion Venezia (but also Avellino) should reach the F4 also.

Lietkabelis Panevezys finished building main rotation
    C Mindaugas Kupsas, Michale Morrison
    PF Saulius Kulvietis, Donatas Tarolis
    SF Vytenis Lipkevicius, Simas Jasaitis
    SG Fran Pilepic, Paulius Valinskas
    PG Jamar Wilson, Dominik Mavra

Quote Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
    For me, that's an ok but not particularly impressive roster. How Tyrece will be able to control himself is an enormously big question mark. A weak spot for me is 3 since Bamberg majorly lacks experience here. Yet I wish you a good luck in this season, having a city full of basketball freaks is great for BCL
    the budget was reduced by 6 - 7 Mio this year and I am also curious how Rice will fit into Bamberg?

I have high hopes that the long injured players Taylor & Harris will return well.

Also on the very young players like Kullboka (20) & Alexander (22) I am curious how they develop with their talent and their big role
    BROSE BAMBERG
    Coach : Ainars Bagatski (New )

Guards : Rice /
    Zisis / Stuckey / Taylor /Hickman/ Mc Dowell White
    Forwards : Kulboka / Heckmann / Olinde
    Bigs : Alexander / Rubit / Jelovac / / Harris

www.telekombasketball.de/news/bamberg-wie-im-rausch-hinter-den-kulissen-des-8-titels/1281"
    youtube.com/watch?v=vIoybUM6HIw / min 0,44 FREAKS

I think Reyer Venezia can get a place in the F4, but I also think that the German teams are really dangerous. One of the them can get the title.
    cigarafterten.com - italian basketball & other stories

Well, it's close to play-offs time here, so once the regular season is finished I'll try to share my thoughts on it and forthcoming play-off series. An impressive success of Greek clubs maybe surprised me the most, especially in Promitheas' case. Also worthy of note UCAM's dominance here, coupled with their suprisingly abominable domestic performance. Tenerife also plays good in BCL but they are in the PO zone of ACB, so that's no surprise.

By the way, the only Russian represntative, Nizhny Novgorod, is in a potentially complex three-way tie for the third-fourth place with Avellino and Le Mans.
    2013/2014 IBN Euroleague Prediction Game Winner

Thrash 'till Death!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123