Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Lithuanian Basketball League (LKL) 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Modestas Paulauskas
    I'm not a spring chicken, but I must admit it's way before my time...

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I'm not a spring chicken, but I must admit it's way before my time...
    Mine too. He was Eurobasket MVP at 20

Also Chomicius debuted in Soviet NT at 20

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    You missed my point. I meant PO games. It seems that now since semis, Sirvydis is only trash minutes player. As for as I remember, Kurtinaitis thrown in Sirvydis against Zalgiris even when the game was still close in the finals, be it for three or two minutes.

But it's not the point. Sure, JV was better, we shouldn't even discuss that and we are not (BTW, JV came to Rytas as 17yo and he really got some credit surely because he was so skinny and he wasn't a good defender). But I talk about the attitude, the vision, the culture, the strategy, the ability to integrate most talented players, ability to give them extra credit (I do aware that Sirvydis was cracking Rytas rotation you know...), extra trust, extra encouragement, being able to see broader picture even when you are occupied with local and today's given club's issues. That's what I expect when I speak about NT head coach who coaches Lithuanian club. My point is, that Sirvydis barely got any special trust (he played great against Valancia BTW, he earned every minute and could play more) and I think our top prospects (which he surely is) should get one. This should be one of our priorities, specially when it comes down to the head coach if NT who supposed to be setting the example. Sirvydis was too good all season long not to crack the freakin' rotation at all in semis against Neptunas who played like absolute shit tonight.
    No, I don't agree here. If coach has a plan for one given game/series, he doesn't have to force some changes just to give some playing time to some prospect. If guy is ready, then fine, if there are tasks he can fulfill - obviously, but if there're none - then no. It goes to every player. Here he is first of all coaching club and as a pro he simply can't do such things, it's unacceptable. It's unprofessional. He can't think - oh I'm NT coach too, so I'll put Sirvydis in for the sake of the future... Nonsense. He can't think of NT at all. I care about NT first of all above any club and I couldn't care less about Rytas, and I'd love to see Sirvydis playing major minutes, but I understand one thing - it's the most important game of the season, coach has a plan and it works. Why he should go to different direction and maybe destroy a puzzle? Maybe then Neptunas wouldn't look like absolute shit as you called it? If smth wouldn't working, I'm sure Sirvydis would've came as plan B option. But now you won't find arguments to prove me different

With the game score being Rytas 75 Neptūnas 46, I don't think any objective observer could possibly find fault with Coach Adomaitis' game plan.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    And Paulius Valinskas has really been coming on strong in the last three months and I'd like to see what he can bring to camp.
    Interesting Coach Jasikevičius' remarks on the subject of Valinskas:

Quote Originally Posted by Newscaster
    Kiek svarbu buvo atjungti Paulių Valinską nuo „Lietkabelio“ puolimo?

Translation: How important was it to disconnect Paulius Valinskas from Lietkabelis' attack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Šarūnas Jasikevičius
    Labai svarbu. Jie turi tikrai daug problemų su traumuotais žaidėjais, todėl Pauliaus rolė dar labiau didėja. Ir taip antroje sezono dalyje jis pasidarė komandos lyderis, todėl jį išimti buvo prioritetas. Tiek Marius Grigonis, tiek Thomasas Walkupas puikiai su tuo tvarkėsi. Vėlgi Paulius yra žaidėjas su begaline motyvacija, su begaliniu noru ir šiandien sužaidė tikrai solidžiai. Bet apskritai, manau, serijoje mes jį kontroliavome.

Translation: Really important. They(Lietkabelis) are really having many problems with injured players, as a result of which Paulius' role is increasing even more. And therefore in the second part of the season he became the team's leader, so taking him out (of the game) became a priority. Both Marius Grigonis and Thomas Walkup did an excellent job handling that. But still Paulius is a player with endless motivation, with endless desire and he played really solidly today. But overall I think we controlled him in the series.
    It would therefore appear that the numbers Paulius Valinskas was putting up in the second part of the season were even more impressive than they might appear at first glance. Playing well on a second tier club was that much more difficult since opponents could key on him with relative impunity. That's something to keep in mind.

Last edited by Hepcat; 05-25-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Looking at the way Valinskas plays, I guess he will stick to these 2nd tier clubs all his career. At least can't see him playing successfully under Saras

So the kid Masiulis beats the LKL PO efficiency record. Nice to see that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Any time I watch Kisielius playing, he sucks. I can't figure it out how he makes it to the top teams of LKL.
    Commentators after or during first semi said that Kisielius shot down Valinskas.

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Commentators after or during first semi said that Kisielius shot down Valinskas.
    Well, I didn't watch the game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, Zalgiris rather comfortably took first game, even if Rytas had couple of nice stretches staying close. The problem for Rytas, obviously semis took a lot from some players and the long season overall. Seeley is done, his body collapsing. Parakhouski also can't handle this schedule. Stipcevic is a streaky scrub. Girdziunas also is streaky and inconsistent. Besides, Bendzius is the only PF Rytas has. I think Adomaitis has no other solution as to trust Normantas and Sirvydis more, rotation is too crappy to keep these youngster on the bench.

Can Rytas win a game in Vilnius? Very unlikely. Zalgiris is just too good and Rytas rotation sucks. But if that happens they need Needham, Stipcevic and Girdziunas having a great games offensively. I doubt Rytas has physical and mental reserves to adjust and to fight, but we'll see. Butkevicius showing extreme stamina. He has been playing over thirty minutes last 6 games under really intense schedule at the extreme level. It's time to give him credit and to see whenever he can keep it up. If he will do that for next 2 or three games, we can call him a really tough and athletic guy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, Zalgiris rather comfortably took first game, even if Rytas had couple of nice stretches staying close. The problem for Rytas, obviously semis took a lot from some players and the long season overall. Seeley is done, his body collapsing. Parakhouski also can't handle this schedule. Stipcevic is a streaky scrub. Girdziunas also is streaky and inconsistent. Besides, Bendzius is the only PF Rytas has. I think Adomaitis has no other solution as to trust Normantas and Sirvydis more, rotation is too crappy to keep these youngster on the bench.
    Hehe, I knew where it was heading since 2nd sentence already Actually semis didn't take too much from Rytas, way less than it was expected. Our dear experts around the net were so sure that Rytas is in such amazing shape before finals and it will be hell of a fight... But forgot to think about Zalgiris and do they has smth to say on this matter, what shape they are in... Usual stuff tho. It was like cat and mouse game yesterday. It looked like whenever Zalgiris plays concentrated, they makes a run and Rytas has no chances. They kept it closer with huge amount of offensive rebounds, that was again the fault of Zalgiris sleeping in defense. If tomorrow Zalgiris will get theirselves together, protect the paint better and get those rebounds, should win again and then finish the series on Saturday. I think they must, cause none from players really wants long series, especially some having new deals in their pockets

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Hehe, I knew where it was heading since 2nd sentence already
    If you are referring to my chronic whining about not playing youngsters (Sirvydis generally in Rytas case), so you're wrong. I have to say I'm sold on Butkevicius, what he did in LKL PO. In the first phase of the season Butkevicius played well, but not spectacular and Sirvydis had some amazing stretches as 18yo. But now I'm not even against using Butkevicius for entire game basically (specially that Sirvydis did hit the rookies wall in the second half of the season), he's so good. One of the most complete defensive Lith players we're seen in LKL, IMO. In the offence, he has been better than I expected. I'm starting to want him the NT.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exclamation

Can Rytas win a game in Vilnius? Very unlikely. Zalgiris is just too good and Rytas rotation sucks.
    Žalgiris just has too much depth for Rytas. Coach Jasikevičius has a deep bench from which to choose. Meanwhile Rytas has at best only three or four players who can play at Žalgiris' level and that's just not enough.

I think these LKL finals clearly show how much better Kurtinaitis is than Adomaitis.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think these LKL finals clearly show how much better Kurtinaitis is than Adomaitis.
    And whole season achievements clearly show how much better Adomaitis is than Kurtinaitis I mean let's not go down to such ridiculousness, both are at the same mediocre level

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    And whole season achievements clearly show how much better Adomaitis is than Kurtinaitis I mean let's not go down to such ridiculousness, both are at the same mediocre level
    Disagree. Rytas struggled in Eurocup as well, got the knock out stage with the last train being late and was swept by Valencia. LKL finals is a better indicator. Rosters more or less the same last season and this, the opponent as well, while the result and basketball is radically different...Kurtinaitis is better coach today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disagree. Rytas struggled in Eurocup as well, got the knock out stage with the last train being late and was swept by Valencia. LKL finals is a better indicator. Rosters more or less the same last season and this, the opponent as well, while the result and basketball is radically different...Kurtinaitis is better coach today.
    Yeah, some indicator is always better which helps to downgrade some coach or player Or you once again will try to prove me that it doesn't have anything to do with your big dislike towards Adomaitis? Better don't, I won't believe it Rytas roster was better last season, now depleted with injuries - Seeley, Kramer, Girdziunas, no PF was signed to replace Sutton. Needham and Stipcevic instead of Kramer is a joke. Zalgiris is much more ready for these finals than last year, when we were still on EL F4 hangover. Reaching play-offs of Eurocup is much better than finish 1-5 in Top16 group, winning LKF Cup is much better than losing final game by 20. I could easily now say, that Adomaitis is better coach, but I never made conclusion out of some one series or one title. They are both mediocre, period. Kurtinaitis is done as top coach long ago and he is not even as good as he was few years ago, he can't catch up with time/changes. He looks awful at Khimki. He is lucky that Khimki has Shved and signed Timma, while Unics had injury worries, otherwise he would be on holidays now and kicked out

But now, Zalgiris has to re-build again, after White, Davis and Walters will leave.
    Means, that Zalgiris can eat every best local player and find findings around, but has been eaten after 1 season by the rich teams
    2019/2020:
    PG: Milos, Walters
    SG: Wilbwkin, D-Ba, ?
    SF:Casspi, Avdija, Zoosman
    PF: F, Cohen, Caloiaro
    PF: Black, F/IL

Very disappointing lkl top 4 teams serries...it looked all 4 teams knew their final places before even game started.Everybody wanted just go on holidays,no fight shown what so ever... effort was like in preasson games.

You can put best 10 entire lkl league players and they have no chance againts prepared zalgiris .Sport looses everything when there is no intrigue and drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Very disappointing lkl top 4 teams serries...it looked all 4 teams knew their final places before even game started.Everybody wanted just go on holidays,no fight shown what so ever... effort was like in preasson games.

You can put best 10 entire lkl league players and they have no chance againts prepared zalgiris .Sport looses everything when there is no intrigue and drama.
    Is the Play-off in Greece better? Pao and empty holls
    2019/2020:
    PG: Milos, Walters
    SG: Wilbwkin, D-Ba, ?
    SF:Casspi, Avdija, Zoosman
    PF: F, Cohen, Caloiaro
    PF: Black, F/IL

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast