Greatest players you ever saw.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest players you ever saw.

Here’s my ranking of the greatest players I ever saw since I started following basketball around 1982 at 10-11 years old.

1) Michael Jordan ‘89-‘93
    2) LeBron James. ‘12-present
    3) Magic Johnson. ‘87-‘90
    4) Larry Bird. ‘84-‘87
    5) Hakeem Olajuwon ‘93-‘96
    6) Shaquille O’Neal. ‘00-‘03
    7) Kobe Bryant. ‘06-‘10
    8) Tim Duncan. ‘99-‘05
    9). Moses Malone. ‘81-‘85
    10) Kevin Durant. Current

Just missing out are current Steph Curry, Dirk Nowitzki, Karl Malone, early 90’s Charles Barkley and maybe late ‘80’s
    Isiah Thomas.

I won’t include Dr J and Kareem because they were still really good up until mid ‘80’s but not remotely close to what they were in the late ‘70’s and 1980 which was before my time.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

1-) Jordan
    2-) Kobe
    3-) Lebron
    4-) Durant
    5-) Magic
    6-) Bird
    7-) Hakeem
    8-) Kawhi
    9-) Curry
    10-) Nowitzki

First 3 for me is solid, I can change my mind for the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Erkan12 View Post
      1-) Jordan
      2-) Kobe
      3-) Lebron
      4-) Durant
      5-) Magic
      6-) Bird
      7-) Hakeem
      8-) Kawhi
      9-) Curry
      10-) Nowitzki

First 3 for me is solid, I can change my mind for the rest.
      I see you’re around the same age as me or you spent countless hours on YouTube trying to watch vintage games.
      These lists are obviously objective but like I said anyone who thinks a Kobe was a better player than LeBron either has an agenda or is completely clueless. I can’t think of one single rational argument to make that claim. And Durant better than Magic or Larry is not worthy of discussion as well.

Comment

It's a subjective list. We can argue about it all day. If I have to give references;

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Jim Jackson and Jason McIntyre join Colin Cowherd and Jason Whitlock to discuss Michael Jordan saying Kobe Bryant is better then LeBron James. #SFY #ColinCow...

As for Durant, yeah you maybe right, I need to watch full series of this current final to decide it. If Durant isn't going to play like the last final, then I would put him behind.

Comment

It's a subjective list. We can argue about it all day. If I have to give references;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp43UYKquLM
          Like I said people with agendas. Is this my friend Tevflik in disguise ?
          I am having Deja vu over here.

To take some of the subjectivity out of it here are some facts.
          1) for most of Kobe's titles he was second bannana to Shaq.
          LeBron was not.
          2) Right smack in the middle of his prime for three years Kobe was either bounced in the first round or in the NBA lottery.

3) Kobe was a league MVP once in his life.
          LeBron 4x

4) LeBron was about as good as you can be and super clutch in his two game 7 NBA finals.
          Kobe was atrocious in his.

Then you can use your eyes and see what each player brings and contributes to their team.

Comment

Who?

I've registered here in 09.2017 , don't know the rest.

C'mon now, Kobe won several games before even the final when Shaq underperformed on some of the playoff games, he even won several playoff games without Shaq. It's saying like Iguodala is a better player than Curry since he was the finals MVP in 2015 not Curry. (not saying Iguodala was worse, no one carried each other)

Listen what Shaq says ; ''My fourth time in the NBA finals, THANKS TO THAT MAN.''

Don't tell me Lebron went to Miami for fun. I am not arguing who carried each other, D-Wade and C.Bosh were on their prime when he won 2 championships with Miami. And even Ray Allen in the second one made the critical shots in 2013.

Kyrie Irving in 2016, he is a superstar. Kevin Love is an All-star. Lebron had that kind of helps in every championship.

Kobe is an all-star for 18 seasons. 2 times scoring champion. 15 times all NBA team. And he has 2 more rings than Lebron.

Comment

Again I am not saying Kobe didn't contribute to those three titles but again there is a difference between being the undisputed most important piece like LeBron was in all three of his titles and being second bannana. The Iguodala comparison is dumb because that's one occasion and a short series. Shaq was the key guy in all three of those titles because he finished higher than Kobe all three years in the MVP voting. Top 3 finishes for all three seasons and none for Kobe.
              And you couple that with being Finals MVP all three times not just once and you have your answer.
              And yes LeBron went to Miami to be surrounded be good players because it was obvious that wasn't going to happen in Cleveland. Look at his teammates his first 7 years.
              Last edited by usagre; 06-02-2018, 05:04 PM.

Comment

This is a really good question.

MJ I only saw from his second three-peat on, and I didn't watch much basketball outside the Sixers when Duncan was at his best.

My list is...

Jordan
                LeBron in mid-late 00s (honestly I'd probably put him at 1)
                Kawhi in '16-17
                Steph in '15-16
                Dirk in 2011
                Penny
                Vinsanity before the jumper's knee
                Giannis
                Russ
                Shaq
                Anthony Davis
                Cousins (Both for the past few years)
                Grant in Detroit
                C-Webb in Washington
                IT in Boston
                Prime Rose
                Kemba
                Embiid at times
                Kobe at times
                CP3 in New Orleans

I know I'm forgetting some people. It's hard to narrow it down when there are so many different reasons a player impresses me. I want to include Mashburn and TMac in Orlando here but I don't know...

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
                  Again I am not saying Kobe didn't contribute to those three titles but again there is a difference between being the undisputed most important piece like LeBron was in all three of his titles and being second bannana. The Iguodala comparison is dumb because that's one occasion and a short series. Shaq was the key guy in all three of those titles because he finished higher than Kobe all three years in the MVP voting. Top 3 finishes for all three seasons and none for Kobe.
                  And you couple that with being Finals MVP all three times not just once and you have your answer.
                  And yes LeBron went to Miami to be surrounded be good players because it was obvious that wasn't going to happen in Cleveland. Look at his teammates his first 7 years.
                  Can you tell me;

2012/2013 Miami without Lebron
                  2009/2010 Lakers without Kobe

Which teams are better?

Comment

Can you tell me;

Which teams are better?
                    They're completely different teams.

Miami had more scoring but the Lakers had more size and better defense. So overall, it's the Lakers. Who, let me remind you, barely won.

Comment

Can you tell me;

Which teams are better?
                      It's irrelevant since neither team is winning anything without them. Small sample size but Lakers were 6-3 while Heat were 6-4 when they didn’t play in those years.
                      But don't forget the level of competition.
                      Beating Orlando and an aging Boston or Oklahoma City and the Spurs is not the same thing. Not to mention 2016 which you conveniently didn’t in which the opposition was a defending champion who had just won the most games in the history of the league.
                      And Pau Gasol in 2009-2011 was better than Bosh and Wade 2012-13 and probably the best big man in the game in those years. And let’s not even mention who those teams were coached by. Big difference in quality there.

And if you want to go that route try doing it with Michael Jordan’s teams. We actually saw it in 1994 when Jordan went to play baseball or gamble or whatever he was doing and his team won 55 games, and lost a very controversial 7 game series to my Knicks.
                      They could have very easily been in the Finals that year without Jordan.
                      Last edited by usagre; 06-02-2018, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Some more statistics to quantify the LeBron Kobe debate. Kobe has 13 career 40 point playoff games while LeBron has more than double that. And scoring is Kobe’s bread and butter I won’t even mention the disparity in double digit assist games or rebound games because any debate then gets even more absurd. If you are being fair and objective like I said earlier I can see no way you can rate Kobe a better player than LeBron.

Comment

Perimeter shooting is literally the only argument that can be made, and I have a feeling it's where every "LeBron isn't as good as..." argument comes from. Jordan, Kobe, Steph, now this KD nonsense...

Kawhi Leonard and Giannis are literally the only two players you can genuinely say come close. Though imo Jaylen Brown is not that far from being on the level of those two. But nowhere near being on LeBron's level.

And none of the arguments you can make for players being anywhere near him include guys who facilitate like he does. Nobody else has pretty much ever had everything he does as a player.

Comment

Originally posted by CHBB View Post
                            Perimeter shooting is literally the only argument that can be made, and I have a feeling it's where every "LeBron isn't as good as..." argument comes from. Jordan, Kobe, Steph, now this KD nonsense...
                            Yeah maybe a little better but both are streaky and Lebron seems to be improving. But that’s not nearly enough to rate him better.

Comment

I want to thank Erkan and CHBB for engaging me in some conversation as I am out of commission and resting all day from minor surgery. Not as minor as Kyrie’s nose job but minor nonetheless. It has helped me get through the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information